Start by marking “Jessica Jones, Vol. 2: The Secrets of Maria Hill” as Want to Read:
Jessica Jones, Vol. 2: The Secrets of Maria Hill

Jessica Jones, Vol. 2: The Secrets of Maria Hill

(Jessica Jones (2016) #2)

Jessica Jones is back where she belongs - in her own comic, and taking on cases as Alias Investigations! But as the most dangerous book on the stands digs even deeper into the new mysteries of the Marvel Universe, Jessica has uncovered a truly startling secret. Is this case too hot for even her? Will it shatter everything she has built for herself? Can she put the pieces o ...more
Published December 12th 2017 by Marvel (first published 2017)

Start your review of Jessica Jones, Vol. 2: The Secrets of Maria Hill
Sam Quixote
Jun 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Someone’s tryna off Maria Hill, former head honcho of SHIELD - but who?! Jessica Jones is on the case.

This second book in Bendis/Gaydos’ second Jessica Jones run is a marked improvement on the first yawner but I still wouldn’t call it a great book.

The reveal of who’s targeting Maria Hill and why was unimpressive. The Life Model Decoys trope was way overplayed and, even if it was for yuks, it wasn’t very funny. I still don’t care about the ups and downs of Jess and Luke’s relationship, and the
Paul E. Morph
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this one, despite its faults. I thought the Maria Hill storyline was pretty good and loved the Steranko-style flashback sequences drawn by Javier Pulido.

Still not overly keen on regular art on this book, though. When all the backgrounds are just Photoshopped photographs and the only thing he's actually drawing are the people, it must take him all of a day to draw each issue... I wouldn't go so far as to say it's 'cheating', exactly, but it's not particularly impressive either.
David Schaafsma
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the second time Brian Bendis (primarily a superhero writer) is creating a series about Jessica Jones. Call it a hiatus? The first time was through the terrific Alias, all too short, but way promising, and now more than a decade later and after a successful Netflix series, he is working on a Jessica Jones series again. And it is great, with a fully realized and interesting and deeply flawed and wholly likeable character who was once a superhero and messed up, and is now a private detectiv ...more
Scott
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
JJ's new series finally evokes some Alias-like luster with The Secrets of Maria Hill. In this edition Jones is still trying to untangle in her chaotic personal life (motherhood, Luke Cage, . . . prison?) while also digging into a lucrative case by request of ousted SHIELD director Hill. Any bets that Jones' investigation rolls smoothly like a marble on a sheet of glass? Riiiight - just bring the usual pain.

A highlight was a Steranko-inspired retro-flashback (with an old-school Nick Fury cameo) c
Chad
Jul 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
Where Bendis always shines is his character moments. The relationship between Luke and Jessica is fantastic. Luke is understandably still pissed after the events of the last arc. After all, Jess hid their baby girl from him. The book works best when Maria Hill is nowhere near this book.

Maria Hill's story and Jess's investigation is boring and pointless. Some of it doesn't even make any sense, like why a Maria Hill LMD tries to kill Jessica. Even Jessica can't get an explanation. Halfway through
bee  ˘͈ᵕ˘͈
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
two stars ∗
Artemy
Mar 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, marvel
The second volume of Benids’s unnecessary return of Jessica Jones is slightly better than the first, but only slightly.

The book, as evidenced by the title, is focused on Maria Hill and her greatest secret. Does it have anything to do with Jessica and her ongoing quest of becoming a little bit less of a hot mess? Nope. Absolutely nothing. Honestly, the entire Maria Hill storyline in this volume is extremely dull and disposable, and I didn’t care about it for a second. And really, does anybody giv
Apr 04, 2018 rated it liked it
I still love Jessica and will keep reading this probably no matter what. Sometimes it’s really good, but sometimes Bendis’s idea of what makes something “adult” is like.....really? There are legit 2 full pages about peeing in a cup. Like...??

That said, it’s cool and interesting and kind of retro to get deep into SHIELD past/life model decoy shit and a sort of twisty turny case.
Chris Lemmerman
[Read as single issues]
Maria Hill needs help. SHIELD has been disbanded, and now everyone she's ever annoyed (so, literally everyone) is out to kill her. Or are they? Enter Jessica Jones, disgruntled private investigator.

This book is soooooo slooooooow. I expect reading it in single issues is probably not the way to go, with the collected edition giving a more complete experience, but I'd know this was a Bendis book without even looking because it takes bloody ages to get anywhere. The 'secret'
Shannon Appelcline
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, comics-marvel
Bendis' second coming of Jessica Jones continues to be great. In fact, this is stronger than the first volume, because we don't get Jessica's really questionable pretend betrayal.

We do get great character development of both Jessica and Luke.

We get a nice plot, that has at its heart an interesting mystery that Jessica investigates over the course of the volume.

Finally, we get great details on Maria Hill, which may be more than we've ever learned about her in all the years that she's been knocki
Rod Brown
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Time to go on a Bendis bender! (#1 of 8)

This book exemplifies everything I like about Bendis' writing.
* Characters whose only traits are sarcasm and coolness.
* Clever dialogue and Tarantinoesque asides (about the multiplication of Spider-People in this case).
* Plots that are filled with action, twists, and cliffhangers that don't really amount to much except short filler between the many delightful pages of talking heads.
* A playful dissection of his characters, the Marvel Universe and comic
Trike
It’s cool to get back into Jessica’s gritty, messy, snarky life. This is a cool story focusing on Maria Hill, former director of SHIELD, the kind of story Marvel used to do about supporting characters that helps fill in the world.

The art by Gaydos feels sketchier this time around, but it does the job it needs to do, and it’s an excellent complement to the grimy story filled with shady characters with dirty secrets,
Scott Rhee
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
“Jessica Jones: The Secrets of Maria Hill”, written by Brian Michael Bendis and drawn by Michael Gaydos, pits Jessica against the iron might of S.H.I.E.L.D. as former director, Maria Hill, hires Jessica to find out who is trying to kill her.

There’s a lot of good stuff in this, and I think I would have enjoyed it more if I had read some of the other titles and storylines that are referenced. (I feel like I’ve missed a few episodes in a long-running series in which a lot of big stuff happened.) As
Frédéric
Mar 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Someone wants to kill Maria Hill. Hey, who can blame 'em, right?
Anyway Maria hires Jessica, of all people, to find out who.

Since it's a Bendis book it takes like forever to get to the point. A rather anticlimactic point for that matter but original in a way. Before that pages of silent pages, pages of good punchlines, pages of... not much really.

Still I'm fond of Jessica. She's a cool hard-ass character. It's not like I've never seen her type before but let's face it, Bendis writes her real we
B. P. Rinehart
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book continues to be an adventure. The fall-out from the events of Marvel Comics start getting close to home for Jessica with the arrival of Maria Hill. I can't say more than that, but this brings the crime-noir world of Jessica Jones to the espionage, cloak-and-dagger world of S.H.I.E.L.D.

The art by Gaydos (and David Mack on the covers) is still fire and the writing is some of the best by Bendis this year.
Basma
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Jessica Jones is one of those superheroes I just really love even though she's sometimes a jerk and is a lousy person when it comes to relationships and friendships (not talking only about the Jessica Jones interpretation in this comic). I love how more and more comics are starting to showcase motherhood and how one can be a badass superhero saving the world while also being a mother, and sometimes a single mother. I'm all for superheroes having other sides than just fighting crimes and saving t ...more
Hilary
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Cool, intriguing, self-contained story with lots of Jessica being Jessica. ❤
Jeff Lanter
Mar 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I love Alias and Jessica Jones and have never had any problems digesting it or even getting into the character or series but I did with this story. Maybe it is because I read volume one a while ago but I never fully understood what was going on with Maria Hill and all of the espionage that was going on even by the time I finished reading it. I felt like either Bendis or the plot itself was a step ahead of me or knew something that I didn't and I never caught up. Jessica's one liners and some exp ...more
Mitchell
Took a break from reading Marvel Graphic Novels and this was my first in months. An I was unimpressed. Kind of a muddy confused downer of a story with not enough hooks to remind me of what was going on. It was ago in that it did have a story and the art wasn't bad. And the characters weren't mishandled.
Jenna
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hm, I could’ve sworn I read volume one of this series. Either way, it was highly entertaining to watch Jessica interact with super-spy Maria Hill and her imploding life model decoys. Her relationship with her daughter and Luke Cage was well done, even if I felt like I missed a large chapter of their drama.

Next, the Purple Man!! And perhaps a rewatch of her series, once NaNoWriMo is done...
Bandit
Jun 02, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve already gone on about personal thoughts on Jessica Jones, comic and tv series differences, etc. in the review of the first book of this limited series and I don’t want to be redundant, so suffice it to say, this book was more of the same, albeit it now I was more used to the art and the narrative style. Jessica Jones’s prison stint has been explained and she is now back to working as a private investigator. Specifically, setting aside personal animosities to solve the case for a former S.H. ...more
C.E. Case
Sep 09, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a fantastic portrayal of Jessica Jones and I enjoyed Maria Hill, but the plot is pretty incomprehensible.

The art gets experimental and retro in flashbacks. It's great.
Tomislav Škrljac
Nov 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Kind of dissapointing. Boring, slow and hard to follow.
Josh
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Page turning mystery that doesn't let up until the very end. The Secrets of Maria Hill belongs with the best of Bendis's Alias books. Excellent.
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
Not bad.
Maxoel Costa
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
i
Marco
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
- This memory-wiping thing... That is messed up.
- Yeah. You, if I recall, used to drink rather heavily... Difference being?
- See, THAT right there, is why nobody has ever liked you.
C. Varn
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good arc

This was a solid arc that continues to make me not sure how to feel about Nick Fury. Regardless, the lead into the return of a key character holds a lot of promise.
Daniel Butcher
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: marvel
Honestly, as much of Bendis writes, very interesting.

But some plot points were too predictable.
Todd Glaeser
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Jessica Jones is the character that Bendis should write and explore the Marvel universe with. So much of this book is incredible.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Scarlet Witch, Vol. 2: World of Witchcraft
  • Daredevil: Back in Black, Volume 4: Identity
  • She-Hulk, Volume 3: Jen Walters Must Die
  • Black Panther, Vol. 5: Avengers of the New World, Part Two

Jessica Jones (2016) (3 books)
  • Jessica Jones, Vol. 1: Uncaged!
  • Jessica Jones, Vol. 3: Return of the Purple Man