Start by marking “Sounds Like Summer” as Want to Read:
Sounds Like Summer

Sounds Like Summer

(Summer Storm #1)

It’s not just a weekend for Lux Castelo. She has a plan, of course.

Phase One: Escape to the beach for a music festival.
Phase Two: Deal with what she can’t control.
Phase Three: Return to reality whole and ready.

Nowhere in that plan is Micah Jacinto, self-proclaimed adventurer and the kind of boy with his head stuck in the clouds and the moon inked on his arm—everything
Published March 26th 2017

Start your review of Sounds Like Summer
Sam (AMNReader)
WARNING. This ain’t a light review. It’s kind of not even really a review, it’s pretty personal. And it’s got spoilers. Let’s call it a book-related essay.(view spoiler) ...more
Sue (Hollywood News Source)
Sounds Like Summer is more than just your weekend gate-away book. The book tackles depression, and suicide. It’s more of a self-discovery novel rather than romance.

Lux is a scientist and she has depression. She grew up in an environment where perfection is a conclusive result from countless trial and error. After an accumulation of unsuccessful experiments, she snapped. When she was given an opportunity to attend a renowned weekend beach-music festival, she grabbed the opportunity. There, she me
Anne Boleyn's Ghost
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
3.5 stars.

Six de los Reyes' writing is so lovely. Sounds Like Summer is a journey of self-discovery and healing for Lux. The portrayal of her depression is frank yet sensitive. Difficult, but also vital, to read. And there is still lightness and hope. Lux meets Micah at a summer musical festival and forms an unexpected connection, marking the beginnings of a romance. Sweet but more of a side plot. While this was not a perfect story - a bit scattered and not as polished - I'm grateful that Reyes
Mónica BQ
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked this waaaaaaaaaaay more than I thought I would. And it I devoured it in a hot second, so I'm giving it 4 stars, but I do feel like the book is filled with flaws.

I bought this on a whim, without knowing much about the plot and not having read any reviews. And I think that helped manage my expectations a lot.

First, I feel like this hit every romantic nerve in my body, but I wouldn't consider this book a Romance. The ambience that it presents speaks to my heart like very few things do. My 2
Eri
I picked this up expecting a cutesy sweet read and ended up getting something more. A romance that tackles depression and feeling lost and inadequate, I related a lot to Lux's anxiety and fears. Micah is a true sweetheart and I was rooting for Lux and him; I loved how he was so supportive and sweet towards her while simultaneously pushing her to challenge her fears.

Summer music festivals are magical and the sense of adventure and revelry were so well captured in this book. This is my first de l
Dianne
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*Also posted at Oops! I Read A Book Again*

My placeholder Goodreads review to this book read "yes to everything". And honestly, I could stop at that. Because I can't seem to find fault in this book. I'm sure that's not the case for everyone but it just hit all the right notes for me. Let me list five things this book did right to have my heart like that.

1. A STEM graduate student as its main character. Six de los Reyes continues to be my source of novels (bonus that they're romance novels) with m
Frida
Jun 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: on-kindle, read-2018
"Unbelievable. Please don't tell me you're a fangirl."
"I am also rabid." Knowing I won't see Micah again, I find no more reason to lie. Besides, is it really such a bad thing? When there are days you're incapable of the normal spectrum of human emotions, you hold on to whatever elicits a sense of normalcy in your life. Even if it's just a distraction. For me, that's music.

I wasn't particularly interested in the romance and Micah was a bit of a manic pixie dream guy but I really liked how wel
kb
Sounds Like Summer is insightful, relevant and at times, funny. This story of courage and self-understanding blown in by music and sea breeze is worth reading any time of the year.

Read the rest of my review on Bookbed.
Flo
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, kindle, new-adult
3.5-4 stars: this is NOT a light book. I also think it can't really be called a romance--this is more of a coming of age book, of growing up and coming to terms with yourself. It deals heavily with depression, anxiety, and self-harm.

I absolutely recommend it, even though I also recommend being a good head space while reading it--Six de los Reyes spot-on portrayal of depression can be triggering. This book is NOT about a boy saving a girl, or about a girl realizing she needed a boy to love her. T
laura
six de los reyes is amazing

I don’t know how this author does it, but six de los reyes does it! Reyes knows how to keep you interested in the characters despite that it’s less than 100 pages. She knows how to write the growth in her characters and the romance is the cutest.

This one was definitely emotional and I just love the points she hit within this story.

TW: self harm
Clare Marquez
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: filipino-authors
I like this book. This kid can write! It was funny and sweet but at the same time, it greatly wrote a young woman's struggle with her anxieties/ depression and how love and acceptance are keys in conquering these issues. I hope there is more to the ending. I think Six can make a book two out of Micah and Lux, see how they've become as a couple.

Congratulations, Six! This was my first book of you and I'm sure to read more!
Jay Tria
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honest, gripping prose, the kind I’ve learned to expect from delos Reyes since I’ve found my girl in deeply introverted Kaya (Beginner’s Guide). Sounds Like Summer feels brave and resolute in the story it wants to tell. A dark cloud hovers over what would usually be a light beach-music romance, but not without the delicate balance of wit, sharp humor, fun banter and kilig that delos Reyes is surely becoming an expert at. I realize not everyone could easily relate with Lux and her plight, but the ...more
Cande
I'm completely in love with the story and I can't believe it took me so long to read Six de los Reyes.

*Set in the Philippines

*They meet in a music festival. One night(weekend) stand, nothing more. Oh no, but what are these feelings they have now?

*The romance is adorable, super cute and silly. And it doesn't, in any way, try to take 'fix' the heroine.

*This is one of the best representation of depression that I've ever read. Or maybe, it's really close to my own experiences so I think it is great
Amanda
This book was really not what I was expecting, having already read and loved Feels Like Summer. This book, while having a romance storyline (which ended in more of a HFN ending), is really about the main character, Lux, dealing with her depression and opening up about it to the LI, Micah, whom she meets while on a bus to a summer music festival. This book tackles depression, self-harm, and suicidal ideation, so TWs for all of those things. I thought the mental health rep was really well done and ...more
J.V. Mariano
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: filipino
(4.5)

Thankful for this book. Finally, one that sheds a light on mental health issues. Well-written prose. I admire the author's gift for articulating a character's deepest, most complex thoughts without alienating readers. And Micah. I want to hear his music. <3

*Sorry this review is all over the place. Congrats, Six.*
Katt Briones
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved how it portrayed what a person with depression is going through. It's a sensitive issue and I think those who'll read it will have a pretty good / hopefully better grasp of it after reading this book.
Sarah Ghazali
May 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romanceclass
Lux has had a really awful day, and is now escaping on a bus to a weekend music festival by the beach. She meets super helpful Micah, and tries to forget the awful events left behind, just for this weekend.

The above summary does not do the book justice, and judging by everyone's reviews here, this was a book that defied all expectations, while still doing what it says on the tin. Without giving away too much, this book details visceral confrontations with one's inner demons and external pressur
H. Bentham
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“What are you so afraid of?”

It’s an innocuous enough question, but to those of us who deal with fear differently, it is a loaded question. Micah asks Lux this early on, and she immediately goes over her mental list of fears, many of which I personally share. This was the moment I knew Six de los Reyes was writing something I would cherish and I was right.

“ “But please don’t hurt yourself anymore. I know I’ll never understand what it’s like. But whatever it is that happened, find another way to
Nicci
Jul 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very mixed read for me and for a lot of the book I wasn't sure what to make of it.

It was a bit rambly and incoherent at times but when it wasn't it was beautifully written.

It's told from the pov of Lux who I struggled to connect with.

She was running away from, well, life at the beginning of the novel and running towards a music festival. That was easy enough to wrap my head around but the rest of her thinking... Not so much.

Simply put, the chick has issues and I just couldn't relat
Shelumiel Delos Santos
This is unexpectedly moving, because for some reason, it was my understanding that this book was about summer and music festivals and carefree boys with sentient hair and bright smiles. And it is all that. But the author also tackles mental health thoughtfully and in a way that I think a lot of Filipinos still willfully refuses to acknowledge. And that is not an easy thread to explore, but de los Reyes weaves these pockets of levity that not once feel off.

Plus, 50 points to—okay, I don’t know th
Sheryl
Jazz Keep Reading
I rate this book 5 stars because it became an eye opener, I know that talking about depression, anxiety and other illnesses are not that easy but this book gave it a big shot.

I also think that this is not just a romance book but also an inspirational book to a lot of people. to be honest, i highlighted a lot of lines because I feel inspired and i just need to remember those lines always.

i think you should read this book. seriously.
emma
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Look, this book was great. I love Lux, she is such a relatable character that I have a lot in common with. Seeing her have such a difficult time was hard but I like that it wasn’t all magically resolved, it made her story feel more real. And her relationship with Micah was super cute. This is a book that I would highly recommend!

TW: self-harm, suicidal thoughts, depression, anxiety
Renée Dahlia
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
TW: Suicide, self-harm

This book made me into an emotional wreck. The whole thing is first person heroine's point of view, and she's a beautiful soul, depressed, and trying to find a little piece of fun before she floats away. The science stuff is perfect.

I cried and I laughed and I glowed when it ended.
D.J.
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sounds Like Summer packs a powerful, emotional punch in such a short span thanks to multidimensional characters and a smooth plot. This novella is an intimate slice of summer, storms and all.

Content/trigger warnings for self-harm, anxiety, and depression.
Vae
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not an easy read, but very well written - so rare to see a romance protagonist who lives with mental illness.
Reading with Cats
Possibly the best, most accurate description of what it’s like to live with depression. “New adult” is not my thing, but I still loved this book for totally getting me.
Angie
Feb 21, 2020 rated it liked it
"Help is out there. Keep living."
natalie
So I read Feels Like Summer (Summer Storm book 2) before reading this one (book 1) and the two are vastly different. FLS is definitely the lighter of the two books, as this one centres around Lux who's dealing with depression.

And I have to add a trigger warning for self-harm so people can know just what they're going into. The event that drove Lux to going off to the music festival is alluded to then explicitly stated and revealed when she shows Micah her scars so please be wary if this is some
Bookbed
"It’s not difficult to get attracted to this book. For one, the cover is undeniably pretty. Plus, what more could bring good luck to a reading year ahead than a book splashed in shades of 2017’s Color of the Year?" Continue reading our review here.

Please note: We don't use ratings but for this purpose, we tag books with three stars by default.
Would like to be a reviewer/contributor to Bookbed? Sign up here!
We also accept review requests. More info here.

• Chasing Mindy
  • You Out of Nowhere (Flair #1)
  • The Austen Playbook (London Celebrities, #4)
  • You Deserve Each Other
  • The Lady's Guide to Celestial Mechanics (Feminine Pursuits, #1)
  • If The Dress Fits
  • Love Lettering
  • The Bromance Book Club (Bromance Book Club, #1)
  • Teach Me (There's Something About Marysburg, #1)
  • At the Clinic
  • Love At First Run
  • The Magic Toyshop
  • The Queen's Game
  • Rafe: A Buff Male Nanny (Loose Ends #1)
  • A Girl Like Her (Ravenswood, #1)
  • The Museum
  • Tikka Chance on Me
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)

Summer Storm (2 books)
  • Feels Like Summer (Summer Storm, #2)

News & Interviews