Start by marking “Ferryl Shayde” as Want to Read:

(Ferryl Shayde #1)

How many people have a tattoo that teaches them magic? While trying to outrun the local bully, Abel trips over a stone slab and something wakes up. After it helps him escape, Abel returns the favor and breaks the binding seals and finds himself apprenticed to Ferryl Shayde.

Once Ferryl takes up residence as a tattoo on his arm, Abel can see the magical creatures that live a
Published March 2nd 2017 by Entrada Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Ferryl Shayde, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ferryl Shayde

Minx
Ferryl Shayde is a wondrous story the follows Abel Conroy as he discovers that magic is real and that he has an opportunity to be instructed by a practitioner of magic. One day while he was escaping some local bullies he stumbled onto a magically imprisoned entity. This entity promised to give assistance to Abel if he helped her escape her imprisonment. Being in a pinch Abel agreed.

Ferryl Shayde had been imprisoned by a powerful sorcerer hundreds of years ago. Back when the town they lived in wa
Cindy Adair
May 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Real Magic!

From every life, a little magic escapes. So, where does it go? It is collected by the magical creatures invisibly all around us. So, what happens when the magical and earthly beings collide? You get the adventure of Ferryl Shade and Abel.

This story is entertaining and original making it an interesting read. The author does a good job of creating a world where magic and non-magic coexist until the non-magic world becomes aware of magic. The catalyst for this discovery is a boy (Abel)
Anne Wingate
May 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Original Fantasy Pleases Readers

It seems that at least half the writers of YA fantasy rip off Harry Potter. Happily, this novel is an exception. Good idea, flawlessly executed. This one is a winner.
Tonja Drecker
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From the very first page, the adventure shoots off into a world of magic and action.

All Abel wants is to escape getting clobbered, but when the only retreat leads him through the town's creepiest property, he wonders if he should be more afraid of monsters and ghosts. The last thing he expects to run across is a sorcerer, who's been trapped for over a hundred years. She wants to be freed, but by doing so, life gets a whole lot more interesting than he bargained for.

Abel is a character on the end
Ali
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who believes in magic.
I have loved everything I have read by Vance Huxley and this book is no exception!
Whilst running away from the town bully, Able finds himself in the gardens of Castle House, the creepiest house in the area. Hiding in the overgrown weeds and bleeding, Able hears a cracking noise. This is the start of an exciting and life changing adventure for Able and his friends Rob and Kellis.
Magical spells,creatures and tattoos make this tale both exciting and mesmerizing. I found it hard to stop reading Ferr
Sharon Umbaugh
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adored this book! It had a very magical feel, enchanting and visual. I certainly hope there is a sequel; I became quite attached to the characters and want to know what happens next! The perfect book for YA or adult, those who like to dip their toes into fantasy.
Grace Anthony
Jan 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2018
Just  Jen
Jan 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Dan
Feb 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Ferryl Shayde is a sorceress that attaches herself – both literally and figuratively to a teen named Abel. Abel is fascinated with magic, so much so that he and two of his friends (Rob and Kelis) work together to create a magic game together. The literal part of Shayde’s attachment to Abel is in the form of a tattoo. Abel’s mom is none too pleased with her 15-year-old son having a tattoo, but then again, she doesn’t (at first) know the half of it.

This book has been compared to the Harry Potter s
Alexandria
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Do you want to know a trope I'm an absolute sucker for? Hidden magical communities. Groups of people and creatures with fantastic abilities that live alongside non-magical beings and people. Magic performed out in the open under the guise of games or protection of glamours. Write that book and I will lap it up.

Vance Huxley took that trope and cranked up the dial. All of the characters start out with absolutely no knowledge that magic is real. And, by the end... well, I don't want to give any spo
Heather
Jan 18, 2019 rated it liked it

"Ferryl Shayde" was a book that left an interesting impression on me. My opinions vary as I feel this book presents both good and evil information.

This book is definitely geared toward a young (adult) audience, and I feel the author created a wonderful storyline to relate to his readers. It contains bits of different devices that all help give this story a realistic and visual touch. The author is very skilled at a key element-dialogue, which really allows this book to stand out as being rare
Linda Steighner
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-school, won
Ferryl Shade by Vance Huxley begins with Able running from the town bullies. Hiding in the overgrown gardens of Castle House he accidently and breaks the binding seal imprisoning the sorceress Ferryl Shade. They strike a deal that Able shall release her, but only if she protects him and teaches him magic. She agrees and takes up residence as a tattoo. Thus begins a great adventure for Able and his friends Rob and Kellis as Ferryl helps them to uncover a world of magic and invisible magical creat ...more
Philip Jones
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting fantasy read

I found this book on Amazon the other day and read it in two sittings found it to be a kind of bizarre fantasy read --- A little too juvenile for my usual reads but would highly recommend for younger readers. I started reading science fiction in the late 1950's and have read at least a ten thousand books since then. Being a kindle unlimited and a Amazon prime member I will be reading the next as this book kept me my interest long enough to finish quickly
Shawn Martinez
Fair to midland

The storyline was good and the characters were interesting but the grammar and errors are horrendous. The pace is off, something's happening and then its off on something else. Its crazy. It reads like a 1st draft, very rough and bumpy which is a shame cause it really can be a great tale. I want to know what happens next but I just don't think I can stand another round.
Timothy Skilton
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is why I try free books. This book is terrific. It is by an unknown author who started writing in his retirement years, probably as a hobby. The result is a perfectly pitched YA book, ideal for middle and high school ages. The characters are well formed and likable. The plot is clever, with scary moments, but also a good deal of tenderness. There is teen angst, but it isn't overdone. The British accent and vernacular rings as purely authentic, yet easy for non-Brits to follow. I'm already i ...more
Deanna Selioutski
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I found myself drawn into this book from the first page. Showcasing unique approach to magic, this book hooked me and kept me reading well into the night. Although this book seems to be aimed at a younger audience, adults will enjoy it just as much. This is a fast-paced book that leaves you with questions at the end, which will hopefully be answered in a second volume!
Mary Ann
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Three (four?) main characters begin a series with enough of the supernatural, mystical, folklore and fairyland characters to remind many of a 7 book series from years gone by. I'm on to the next in this series!
Sam Webber
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ferryl Shayde

I really loved this book. Loved the way the magical world worked. The gaming community becoming the university for young magic users is awesome. Loved the flow of your story. And let's not forget about young love. Great start to a series.
Eunice Korczak
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ferryl Shade

This book is delightful. It is not a usual plot. Fun young characters, lovable but not flawless, capable but not without weaknesses. Jolly good fun!
Les Chroniques Aléatoires
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, à-traduire
En voilà un roman qui sort de l’ordinaire. Ferryl Shayde ne ressemble pas aux autres histoires que j’ai pu lire. Il a un petit quelque chose qui fait que je l’ai bien apprécié. Bon ok, il n’a pas le max de points mais il mérite cette bonne note.

Globalement de quoi ça parle ? De magie principalement et aussi d’amitié, mais là encore… ça reste en second plan. Abel est un garçon de 15 ans qui n’a pas la vie facile. il vit avec sa mère et est le souffre douleur de deux crétins. Et quand il croise le
Michaela
May 18, 2019
Loosewheel
Jun 10, 2017
Nancy
rated it did not like it
May 18, 2017
Chasbev
Feb 03, 2018

• Your Name, In Fire (Vampire Geek Cycle, #1)
  • Lost Princess (Kingdom of Cymmera, #2)
  • Resist (Resistance #2)
  • Devil Under the Mistletoe (Holidays are Hell #1)
  • Guardian's Rise (The Sons of Masguard, #2)
  • Eden's Promise
  • Lunatic Revenge (Lunatic Life, #3)
  • I Smell Smoke (The Supernatural Bounty Hunter Files #2)
  • Trolling for Trouble (MAUCs, #1)
  • Cinderella Treasure Trove
  • Paradise Rot (The Island Trilogy,#1)
  • Mistletoe and Murder in Las Vegas
  • Soul Survivor (Spirit Shield Saga, #.5)
  • Dressing the Dragon (Dragon Ruins, #2)
  • The Return (Dogs of the Drowned City, #3)
  • Sibilance (Woodland Creek)
  • Fudge Cake, Felony and a Funeral (Charlotte Denver #2)
  • Battle for Bearhaven (Secrets of Bearhaven #4)
Vance Huxley lives out in the countryside in Lincolnshire, England. He has spent a busy life working in many different fields. Eventually Vance tried writing though without any real structure.
Then he actually sent one off to be read. As an editor and beta readers explained the difference between words and books, he tried again.

Now he tries to type as often as possible in spite of the assistance o

Ferryl Shayde (5 books)