Start by marking “Misfit City Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Misfit City Vol. 1

Misfit City Vol. 1

(Misfit City #1)

Nothing’s happened in Wilder’s hometown since they filmed that cult kids’ adventure movie there in the 80s...Until one day, she and her friends come upon a centuries-old pirate map!

Smothered by her backwater hometown and frustrated by its 1980s cult-movie fame (The Gloomies...have you seen it? It’s a real classic, y’know.), Wilder is pretty sure she’s seen everything
Published December 19th 2017 by BOOM! Box

To ask other readers questions about Misfit City Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Misfit City Vol. 1

Start your review of Misfit City Vol. 1
Tink Magoo is bad at reviews
A FEMALE GOONIES RIP OFF?! FUCK YES! I'm all over this like genital warts on a frat boy.

After :

There isn't much to dislike here - the kinda Goonies rip off Gloomers references, the art, the all female leads. If I were to come up with a graphic novel this is what I'd be aiming for. But man do I wish I had waited til more issues were out. I have very little patience and it's just started getting exciting.

Emma
Oct 06, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5/5 Stars

It cut off right when it was getting interesting, I can't wait to get my hands on the second volume!
This mystery story is perfect for people who are looking for something a bit spooky for the month of October. It also has a pirate element which I love! The illustrations are just my cup of tea and the colours are great!
ashley (saidthestory)
It's like Lumberjanes with an older cast.

It's like all those 80s, 90s, etc. movies with male groups of friends that you grew up wishing GIRLS HAD.

It's like... basically all you could ask for.

I do wish the characters had a bit more depth, there are a lot of them and they don't get developed too much, but it is only 4 issues.

I have high hopes for this series. Very Very high hopes!
Scarllet ✦ Underrated Lit Warrior
This was adorable, okay! And such a funny light mystery with a group of girls who are such weirdos and who go on adventures together. It's so imaginative and entertaining and I love the art style too :o so beautiful!! Like I definitely want to continue on with the series, especially since this volume left off on a cliffhanger ;)))

Anyways, as an aside to all that, I read a review that mentioned the diversity within the book, saying "It's just so progressive it doesn't seem real" and just -
Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
This was a good graphic novel/comic read! Although I wasn't as hooked onto the storyline as I was reading the Fence series by C.S Pacat, I did like the element of a group of friends finding a treasure map. The cliffhanger was intense and am looking forward to reading what happens next!
Helena Summers
Apr 23, 2018 marked it as to-read
A comic about a group of girls who go on adventures, referencing The Goonies, and co-written by the woman who wrote 10 Things I Hate About You and Legally Blonde???? This is everything I'd ever dreamed of
Greyson | Use Your Words
Misfit City Series Ratings:
Misfit City Vol 1:
Misfit City Vol 2: TBR

This was really fun! I love the treasure hunting and the girl power, and how wondrously diverse this is! All the characters are cute and charming and so different from each other! I'm really excited to see where this goes!

I read this book as part of my 2018 Library Love binge, where I read as many library books as possible to take advantage of my great local library network before I move interstate!
___
BlogInstagramTwitter
Raina
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lumberjanes moved to Astoria (where Goonies was filmed) and aged up a bit?

That's the spirit here. A group of friends find themselves in possession of a map that may lead to pirate treasure. But there are villains on their tail... That's about as far as this first volume gets. It's good fun, for those of us who find this kind of thing fun.

It is definitely set in Astoria, which is not too many hours down the coast from where I live (several people who work in the same library district as me live
Sara
I don't quite know what to make of this just yet. I quite like the premise; real life residents of a town where a classic kids movie called "The Gloomies" was filmed (and if you can't guess what that's based on we have nothing in common and are no longer friends) find themselves embroiled in a real life treasure hunt complete with duplicitous criminals, riddles to solve and mysterious old men with secrets. But I have a problem with the "social justice warrior" feel that totally overwhelms the ...more
Rian *fire and books*
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It’s been about a year and a half and I still love this graphic novel. Absolutely cute and adorable as heck. The artistry is some of my favorite as most of the time the characters normal faces, but every now and again they get these very cutesy expressions (like when they blush). So clearly the artist is having some fun!

Each of the girls are unique and amazing in their own ways. There’s a book loving nerd, a protestor and sheriff’s daughter, a sassy musician, the chill one (lgbt rep!), a new age
Rod Brown
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book desperately wants to be a madcap adventure filled with pirates, hidden treasure and quirky female protagonists. The adventure is mild, and the characters really don't consist of much beyond their quirks. It seems more like a book trying to get on a bandwagon (see: Lumberjanes, Ms. Marvel, etc.) rather than one trying to blaze its own path.
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

This world is stressful; sometimes I just want to not think about anything too serious, veg out, enjoy some fluffy form of media. "Misfit City" is that sort of media.

Because if you think too hard about just the characters in this book...there aren't nearly that many nonwhite people in Oregon. Oregon has a pretty shady history. In fact, while the Portland metro area and the college towns are very liberal, you can't say the same about the rest of the state.

But let's put that aside
Noninuna
There's nothing new that this bring to the table from my perspective. Still the same old 'kids found a map & they go on an adventure' type story. I want something new and hoping volume 2 will have it!
Hazel (Stay Bookish)
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scribd
Great cast, love the moody art! Oh and there's a fun dog!
Dan
Jan 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Not bad but kinda slow paced....Goonies type adventure....
Alicia
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Ahhh this is the CUTEST comic! Here are some things it has:
—a cast full of girls of various races and sizes
—references to a movie that is basically The Goonies
—a dog who plays poker
—a treasure map and A LADY PIRATE
—written by the woman who wrote 10 Things I Hate About You AND Legally Blonde!
—adventures and fun!

So good!!
Madi
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So cute and fun! Loved the setting and the girl gang. I want to watch all the Pirate movies now.
Kristin
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
This all-girl version of the Goonies is too meta for its own good. The story takes place in the town where the movie "The Gloomies" was filmed and has a similar pirate history and threat of urban development going on. There's also has a hidden treasure that a group of local teens stumble onto a map for. Smith seems to think by having the characters pointing out all these parallels to each other, and to you, that that's all you need to evoke that '80s adventure feel. But the clues are solved too ...more
Jane
Oct 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I loved the art in this but as far as character and plot, it felt like it was trying really hard to be Lumberjanes. The characters, setting, and plot could have been better developed. The action started happening before I felt invested in the characters and cared what happened to them.
. (not active on this account stop adding me)
rep: black mc, wlw mc, fat mc

- I loved everything about this except for the annoying fandom/Gen-z lingo and the cliffhanger
- There’s a fat character who actually looks fat and isn’t just a girl with a tiny waist and big boobs!!!!
- I only read this because it was labeled as lgbt but the f/f couple is so minor and has no development that it’s a blink-and-you’ll-miss-it kind of situation
Connie
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-i-ve-read
4.25/5 stars

Imagine I pick up this series and I see a fat girl who looks like me on the page who is smart and driven and fucking cool. That's such a great feeling.

I love this series. I love the goonies so I love this inherently because it's about really dope girls looking for treasure instead of boys who laugh at their fat friend (the goonies is my favourite film but b o i the fatphobia)
Lili
Oct 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Not really great but still better than The Goonies I guess ...more
Andi
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I like it so far. Reminds me of The Goonies yet that's as far as similarities go? The girls have their own character and I do like a female nod and not exactly a remake.

I need Vol 2.
Emily
Feb 18, 2018 rated it liked it
It didn’t knock my socks off, but it was cute enough. I liked the art and the setting, and the characters were diverse and likeable.
I was hoping for snappier dialogue, and it was irritating that the book ended on a cliffhanger. Still, I think fans of Lumberjanes would enjoy.
Allison
Mar 31, 2018 rated it liked it
I really liked the art style of this and I adored these characters, but I couldn't quite sink into the story. I definitely will be continuing with this series, though.
Ro
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
actual rate: 3.75 stars ...more
Artemis
A cute, fun mystery adventure comic. Nothing really deep or surprising about it, but it's an engaging, endearing and thrilling ride nonetheless, filled to the treasure trove brim with interesting female characters.

Set in a cove, which was new to me in graphic novel reading, 'Misfit City' is an homage to 'The Goonies' with female characters as central. Such great diversity - in race, shapes and sizes for the funny-to-smart-to-sarcastic-and-deadpan girl group. These social misfits each have lives
Barbara
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A group of teenage girls hunting pirate treasure from a badass lady pirate in a PNW town only known for a thinly veiled version of "Goonies"? Count me in. Have those teenage girls be diverse in terms of race, sexual orientation, and body shape? Please just take all of my money immediately. Between Lumberjanes, Goldie Vance, and now this series, Boom! Box is basically my primary source of comics joy.
Vinton Bayne
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Goonies reference wrapped in a Goonies reference covered in everything you love about the Boom! Box imprint of comics. Great first issue.
Griffin
Cute comic with a diverse all-female main cast. Lovely colorful art style.

The plot itself is closer to 3 stars. It takes place in a Pacific Northwest town enveloped in fog almost all year, a town whose claim to fame is that it was the filming location for a 80's style Goonies-type movie. I haven't seen The Goonies, so I'm sure some of the references are lost on me.

While the setting seemed good, the plot just kept getting crazier and crazier. Are the siblings who inherited the house vampires?
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Heavy Vinyl: Riot on the Radio, Vol. 1
  • Goldie Vance Vol. 1
  • The Backstagers, Vol. 2: The Show Must Go On
  • The Backstagers, Vol. 1: Rebels Without Applause
  • Goldie Vance, Vol. 3
  • Goldie Vance Vol. 2
  • Moonstruck, Vol. 1: Magic to Brew (Moonstruck #1)
  • The Avant-Guards, Vol. 1
  • SLAM! Vol. 1
  • Kim Reaper Vol. 1: Grim Beginnings
  • Giant Days Vol. 8 (Giant Days, #8)
  • Giant Days, Vol. 7 (Giant Days, #7)
  • Goldie Vance Vol. 4
  • Stone Cold (Lumberjanes, Vol. 8)
  • Pandora's Legacy
  • Giant Days, Vol. 9 (Giant Days #9)
  • Parents' Day (Lumberjanes, Vol. 10)
  • Giant Days, Vol. 6 (Giant Days, #6)
Kirsten Smith is a screenwriter and authors. She co-wrote LEGALLY BLONDE, 10THINGS I HATE ABOUT YOU, SHE'S THE MAN and ELLA ENCHANTED. She co-wrote and executive produced THE HOUSE BUNNY and THE UGLY TRUTH. She executive produced WHIP IT.

She has written two YA novels, THE GEOGRAPHY OF GIRLHOOD and TRINKETS, the latter of which is being made into a Netflix series, due out in 2019.

She has had over

Misfit City (8 books)
  • Misfit City #1 (Misfit City, #1)
  • Misfit City #2 (Misfit City, #2)
  • Misfit City #3 (Misfit City, #3)
  • Misfit City #4 (Misfit City, #4)
  • Misfit City #5 (Misfit City, #5)
  • Misfit City #6 (Misfit City, #6)
  • Misfit City #7 (Misfit City, #7)
  • Misfit City #8 (Misfit City, #8)