Start by marking “Shiver: Selected Stories” as Want to Read:
Shiver: Selected Stories

Shiver: Selected Stories

(Junji Ito Collection )

A best-of story selection by the master of horror manga.

This volume includes nine of Junji Ito’s best short stories, as selected by the author himself and presented with accompanying notes and commentary. An arm peppered with tiny holes dangles from a sick girl’s window… After an idol hangs herself, balloons bearing faces appear in the sky, some even featuring your own fac
Published December 19th 2017 by VIZ Media LLC (first published October 7th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Shiver, please sign up.
danielle ✧ Used Record, Shiver, Fashion Model, Hanging Blimp, Marionette Mansion, Painter, The Long Dream, Honored Ancestors, Greased and Fashion Model: Cursed F…moreUsed Record, Shiver, Fashion Model, Hanging Blimp, Marionette Mansion, Painter, The Long Dream, Honored Ancestors, Greased and Fashion Model: Cursed Frame.(less)

Start your review of Shiver: Selected Stories
Kat
Mar 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
this is said to be a "best-of junji ito" collection, and i gotta say i agree.

uncomfy visuals, unique storylines, plus commentary from the author after each story. gooooood shit.

(oh just a heads up tho, if u have any kind of trypophobia the title story "shiver" is really gonna mess u up)
Emm C²
"What will happen to me when I have an eternal dream? The morning after I have a dream that never ends, what will I have become?"

After the year of extreme tension waiting for the publishers to finally churn this out - though I suppose the combination of congealed shark's blood, cursed dream crystals and alien rib-bone they have to bind Ito books in is pretty difficult to piece together - it's not disappointing.

This particular combination of stories resonates with me. I'd read some of them separa
Lauren Lanz
Sep 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Me and my fear of dolls were chilling until Junji Ito created a short story about goddamn cooking oil that made my skin crawl. This man can do anything.

The king of horror manga is at it again.
Scratch that: I’m at it again, catching up on his work.
This collection was just- weird and gross and unique in the best ways. Everything I’ve come to expect from Ito and his mangas. The variety in the types horror he presents -especially in his short story collections- is fantastic.

If you’ve got trypopho
Paul Bryant
Feb 28, 2020 rated it liked it
A collection of short stories which have no logic except dream logic (i.e. no logic) but a whole lot of eidetic disgusting body horror and very crazy zoned-out dialogue – I will give you a flavour

This isn’t a caterpillar – it’s an assembly of the skulls of my ancestors.

That wasn’t a human face. That was the face of someone who lives beyond the black darkness!

Several thousand years ago, we met in her hospital room and our love blossomed!

In these stories giant faces of real people appear in the sk
David Schaafsma
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shiver is a collection of horror manga by the mang-ka Ito (Uzumaki, Tomie), an elegantly curated collection of 9 his best short stories, illustrating a range of his work. Includes short reflections on the origins of each piece, and a page of early drafting of ideas and sketches that informed each piece, too.

The stories are comics horror, so you get to see it, not just read about it, obviously. So let's say you like Poe’s Tales of Mystery and Imagination, a creative witch’s brew of scares? Well,
Tammie
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror-dark
As a big fan of anything creepy and strange, I really enjoyed Junji Ito’s Shiver. Shiver is a collection of 9 short stories that the author personally selected, as well as a new story that was previously unpublished (I enjoyed all the stories, though my favorite was Marionette Mansion). As a fan and collector of his manga such as Tomie, Uzumanki and Gyo-I highly recommend Shiver to horror/manga fans.
S. Zahler
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Few horror cartoonists—if any—elicit the shudders that I feel when I read a tale by Junji Ito of Japan. The current widespread availability of his work in the United States shows an increasing interest here, and it’s not hard to fathom why this is so. My favorite stories by this mangaka are his short, standalone tales. His drawings are fairly realistic with simple clean character designs, but when he adds texture or renders a “shock panel,” his art gets significantly darker, more detailed, and q ...more
Anthony Vacca
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An excellent selection of horror manga, Junji Ito's Shiver collects stories that will be new to those who have already read the astounding Uzumaki, the bonkers Gyo, the impish Dissolving Classroom, the affectionate Cat Diary: Yon & Mu and the eclectic Fragments of Horror. Those who have read Ito's exhaustive exploration of gender politics, Tomie, will remember the story re-printed here, which features that titular and ever -resurrecting femme fatale tormenting a painter, a photographer and a scu ...more
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, horror
4.0 Stars
Junji Ito is the master of creating some of the most weird and disturbing imagery in graphic novel horror. Drawn in the classic manga style, all the artwork in this collection was done in black and white, which fit the tone of the stories well. There were so many memorable panels that will undoubtedly stick in my brain. I particularly loved the incorporation of so much body horror in the stories.

Like in every collection, I enjoyed some stories more than others. Some of my favourites in
Lady Nerd
Apr 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. Pure nightmare fuel. Beautiful.
The Artisan Geek
10/9/20
Read this a while back, just as everything Ito makes, it was really good!

You can find me on
Youtube | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Website | The Storygraph
Norah Una Sumner
Apr 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: asian-lit

The Long Dream and Hanging Balloons were amazing.
Blair
Shiver collects ten of Junji Ito's best horror manga, selected and annotated by the author. The stories vary in quality, not always managing to make the reader suspend disbelief enough to accept such far-fetched, freakish premises; but the art is always brilliant. Small details like facial expressions and the folds of clothes are just as striking as images of monstrous creatures and gory deaths.

Another translated collection, Smashed, is due out in April 2019, and I'm putting it on my wishlist. I
Kate
3/5stars

Best - the long dream; 5 stars

Worst - greased; 1.5 stars

I think my expectations for junji ito were wayyyyy too high because of my previous reading of him and the hype online has for him so I’m gonna try to lower them for my next books I read from him ! Still enjoyed this even if it wasn’t as amazing as I was hoping !!
Jedi JC Daquis
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Compared with the lackluster Fragments of Horror, Shiver is yet another dark gem in the world of horror manga. Junji Ito's short stories in this volume are scary enough to not let me sleep.

As with his other works, all the stories here revolve around some form of extreme obsession that spirals into something dark, many of them leading to a tragic demise of the characters. It is always that way in all of his stories, but the way each of them unfolds - creeping into your soul one scary panel at a t
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bodies are always being hideously transformed in Ito's deliciously creepy, outrageously visceral stories. I find myself drawn back to individual panels for the utter loathing they so inspiredly convey. Embodiment is abjection and there's no way out.
Audra (ouija.doodle.reads)
Junji Ito is not just an amazing manga artist, but a constantly inventive and terrifying horror author. He is probably one of the most original modern horror storytellers we have. I am shocked and impressed every time I read his stuff. What is going on inside this guy's head??!

I really loved that in this collection, there were little notes where he explained where the idea for each story came from and even a few original drafts and story notes. I am a nosy sort of reader, and I love to see the i
Amber
Mission accomplished, I was utterly disturbed...
James
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Once again, I'm left in awe both at Junji Ito's formidable artistic talents and his extremely perverse imagination. His stories display a twisted creativity and nightmare logic that most of the modern western Weird Fiction writers can't even begin to display, but which would probably earn him the acclaim of the Masters of the genre: one can imagine Thomas Ligotti nodding his head in approval after reading "Marionette Mansion," and certainly H.P. Lovecraft (well-known to be one of Ito's stated in ...more
Quentin Wallace
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

I love horror manga. I actually love any type of comic book horror anthologies. Manga tends to go places American comics won't. Sometimes that's good, other times not. Manga will go straight for the disgusting gross out in a way most horror comics won't. Also, Japanese horror in general is a little different than western horror. Japanese horror can be scary and weird just for the sake of being scary and weird. Most of the time (not always) western horror gives you some type of reason fo
Kirk
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Phew!

The last few stories were pretty gross. The second-to-last story was one I had seen images of before online. The bonus story at the very end closed with the goriest image I have seen in Ito’s work yet.

The collection overall was really good. Some great body horror, and his stories continue to demonstrate his ability to think outside the box. I’m going to read more of his work in the new year for sure, but I don’t think I can afford anymore at the moment 🕺🏻.
Rosie Wedge
Oct 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Well damn, this was something. Mr Ito is at it again with the phenomenal art style, bat crap crazy stories and super creepy themes. I found these for the most part to be incredibly gripping and creepy (apart from Marionette Mansion, idk I just didn't vibe with that one), and was as usual most in love with the body horror that Junji Ito draws. Honestly, The Long Dream and Greased Oil (or Glyceride as it's sometimes called) were so awesome!
Rod Brown
Oct 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Ito's stories often don't make a lot of sense, but god does the imagery linger in your mind, especially the body horror: flesh holes, disembodied heads, pimples(!), shark teeth. Gah.
Shannon
Feb 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, horror
Going on hold until I finish the anime season ...

I've never read Junji Ito before because I always thought his stories looked weird and gross (which I was right about but I'm not as grossed out as I thought I'd be.) The anime is airing currently though and I've been enjoying watching it every week. Only thing that kind of bugs me is how short the stories are and I know he has other longer manga that I would probably like more instead. This book, though not in order, seems to be what the anime ha
Thomas Hall
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
The main point I want to make about Shiver: Selected Stories by Junji Ito is how truly inventive these stories are. Each one is filled with new and interesting ideas that are a joy to read. They're also filled with Ito's signature art style that fills you with so much unease.

From best to worst (or least good in this case),

The long dream

used record

marionette mansion
Alyssa (Sweetkokoro)
Mar 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
This manga is a collection of short stories written by Junji Ito. I was apprehensive after the first story as it wasn’t that compelling or interesting but slowly as I continued on, each story got increasingly better. The stories never strike fear in me nor does the art but they do have a level of strange behind them that keeps me wanting to read more.

The art though I will say is amazing, I tend to enjoy Junji Ito’s work more solely for the art then the story telling.
Rebecca
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Oh my god. I'm not usually squeamish about things that aren't egg whites or drool (hey, we've all got issues), but now thanks to this book I will fear small holes, pimples, and giant heads. Thanks, Junji Ito!

(Seriously, DO NOT READ if you have a weak stomach!)
Joseph Ritchie
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In all of the horror I’ve read in my life, “Fashion Model” is by far one of the creepiest things I’ve ever read.
Cass
Aug 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
im obsessedddd. someone who also loves junji ito
✨pls befriend me✨so i have someone to discuss these stories with. im desperate.

individual short story reviews ⬇️

used record 4/5 🌟 loved it.

shiver 2/5 🌟 i almost believe that everything junji writes is far more amazing than anything by any other author but because i have read more amazing stories by him, this one kinda let me down. scary, of course, but not on his level of blowing-my-freaking-mind like he always is for me. it was kinda dull.

fashion
Rami Hamze
Jul 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
Exploring a new genre: horror manga, i found Ito's stories all brilliant!

No horror or fear per se but claustrophobic/ nightmarish feel in all.

My favourite was Marionette Mansion, i was blown away by how much depth can be tucked in such a genre and a short story.

Here is my rating (out of 10) for each story:

• The Drifting Classroom: Perfect Edition, Vol. 1
  • The Drifting Classroom: Perfect Edition, Vol. 2
  • The Drifting Classroom: Perfect Edition, Vol. 3
  • Ibitsu
  • 後遺症ラジオ 1 [Kouishou Radio 1] (PTSD Radio, #1)
  • 血の轍 1 [Chi no Wadachi 1] (A Trail of Blood, #1)
  • 後遺症ラジオ 4 (PTSD Radio, #4)
  • 後遺症ラジオ 6 [Kouishou Radio 6] (PTSD Radio, #6)
  • H.P. Lovecraft's at the Mountains of Madness Volume 2
  • 後遺症ラジオ 3 (PTSD Radio, #3)
  • H.P. Lovecraft's at the Mountains of Madness Volume 1 (Manga)
  • H.P. Lovecraft's the Hound and Other Stories (Manga)
  • PTSD Radio, Vol. 2 (PTSD Radio, #2)
  • PTSD Radio, Vol. 5 (PTSD Radio #5)
  • Dementia 21 Vol.1
  • ハピネス 1 (Happiness, #1)
  • Basketful of Heads (Hill House Comics)
Junji Itō (伊藤潤二) Born in Gifu Prefecture in 1963, he was inspired from a young age by his older sister's drawing and Kazuo Umezu's comics and thus took an interest in drawing horror comics himself. Nevertheless, upon graduation he trained as a dental technician, and until the early 1990s he juggled his dental career with his increasingly successful hobby — even after being selected as the winner o ...more

Junji Ito Collection (7 books)
  • Labirinto ed altre storie