Start by marking “Children of the Whales, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Children of the Whales, Vol. 1

Children of the Whales, Vol. 1

(Children of the Whales #1)

In this post-apocalyptic fantasy, a sea of sand swallows everything but the past.

In an endless sea of sand driftsthe Mud Whale, a floating island city of clay and magic. In its chambers a small community clings to survival, most dying young from the very powers that sustain them.

Chakuro is the Archivist for the Mud Whale, diligently chronicling the lives and deaths of his
Published November 21st 2017 by VIZ Media LLC (first published December 16th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Children of the Whales, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Children of the Whales, Vol. 1

Start your review of Children of the Whales, Vol. 1
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
this was such a nice and calm story until the end came in like a wrecking ball. consider me shook.
[Shai] Bibliophage
Probably because of the translation from the original Japanese manga, that's why the story and dialogues are not that good. The beginning is a bit bland or maybe because, I repeat, from the translation.

I can't help it, but I fell asleep on the four consecutive nights that I've tried to finished the first half of this manga. However, the best part starts on Chapter 3 and it continues to get better as the story continues.

Thanks to VIZ Media LLC and Simon & Schuster for the reading copy of
Lauren
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing

This was an excellent start to what promises to be a fascinating and compelling fantasy manga series <3

CotW follows Chakuro who is the archivist on the Mud Whale (a floating island in an ocean of sand) and documents everything that happens on the island to preserve the island's history for future generations. Chakuro is one of the "marked" which means he wields Thymia - a power fuelled by emotions - and results in a reduced lifespan (approx. 30 years).

On one of his expeditions, he
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more manga and graphic novel reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

In an endless desert floats the Mud Whale, an island city of clay moving by magic, containing a small community where most die young their life spans cut short by their own magic. Chakuro diligently chronicles these deaths determined to leave a better record than those who came before. When a scouting party he's a part of discovers a young girl who knows more about their island than they do, everything changes...

GAH!!
Jananie (thisstoryaintover)
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OMG. WHAT. THAT WAS SO GOOD. was not expecting that. definitely going to continue, I'm so curious. Loved the main character Chakuro and super intrigued by the world!
GrilledCheeseSamurai (Scott)
Interesting story. A floating island called the Mud Whale drifts across the sandy wastes. 90% of the population on the Mud Whale have a type of magic fueled by emotion. Those with the 'mark' rarely live past the age of 30.

Up to this point no one on the Mud Whale knows why they are there or where they come from. They haven't even seen another person besides those they live with on their floating Island.

Until now...

3.5 's out of 5.
Mili
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-the-book
I don't often read manga. I picked this one up when I was browsing a shop with a friend and she suggested it to me ( ages ago haha) and it was great! Fluffy start and getting to know the world. It is mysterious and intense at the end!
beverley
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
ordered vol 2 & 3 immediately, i think this is a manga series I will absolutely love
Derek Royal
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the first Abi Umeda I've read. Here, she creates a complex, deeply layered storyworld, one that, at times, challenges immediate comprehension. There were several times that I had to back and reread sections so as to better taken in the nuances and details of the people and setting. But this is to the narrative's benefit, not a criticism. To some degree, this is a post-apocalyptic story, but one in a world that is not our own. I'll definitely go on to read future volumes.
Pauline Fireheart
My first manga. Thanks to my little brother for this one :)
Jason
Gorgeous illustrations, compelling characters and story. I would definitely keep reading if I had a shorter to-read list! I see the anime is also on Netflix, so I might check that out...
Kayla (BOOKadoodles)
A #GetGraphic Read—I haven’t been this shook by an ending since watching episode five of Attack on Titan. Broaden your horizons and try manga, they said. It’ll be fun, they said.
Rachael Marie
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hey darlings, you can watch my Wrap-up review here: Fina-bloody-lyyyyyyy 20 BOOK July Wrap Up! https://youtu.be/3gyDctl1S_g ...more
Victoria ♡
May 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Re read this recently as I just finished the anime, the art is beautiful, but I’m just not sure on the story.
Online Eccentric Librarian

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

Children of the Whales is about as close to a Miyazaki movie as you are going to get. From the character designs, to the subtle characterizations, the random fantasyish setting, the innocence of children and machinations of adults, the intrusion of war into that innocence, and a subtle beauty. That influence is all over Children of the Whales to the point where this feels almost like an homage.

Story: In a world where
Anniken Haga
Another one of the mangas suggested to me by the manga-guy at the comic shop, and one I am sure I will continue reading!

I've looked at Children of the Whales a bunch of times but never bought it - my fear of spending money on yet another manga I wouldn't enjoy - until Adam suggested it to me.
He thought I would like this manga because of the art style because I like A Bride's Story, Vol. 1, and he was right.
While the art isn't as detailed in this book as in Bride's, it is still pretty amazing!
Anggrek
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review of the TV anime series

Children of the Whales / Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau

This was another one that surprised me. I decided to watch it, not knowing anything about the manga, because I was drawn to the concept of little island-nations that literally move around in a sea of sand. The Mud Whale is one such island, and the people are mainly divided into two: those who can use thymia (basically--magic), and those who can't.

I did no reading/research before I went into the series, so I kind
F.D. Gross
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
Imagine existing over an open sea of sand. Where all you know is the existence of your small clan of less than 600 people, and have never met another living human being. There is a scene painted towards the end of the book where the main character, who logs everything in his journal, describes their life on the Whale, the vessel that allows them to float on the sand sea. It was so beautiful written and coupled with beautifully drawn landscapes, that in itself made the book worth reading despite ...more
Jessica
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, 2019, manga
The thing that grabbed me about this series initially was the cover art, so I knew very little going into the story. At first, I was intrigued by the concept but it was a little slow to get going however this turned really quickly and my interest went up with it. Interesting start to a unique series 4 stars.
Evelyn
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's either post-apocalyptic or pre-civilization but either way, the elders are keeping secrets from the citizens.

This is one of those books where you just have to nod your head and go with it at first because it hits you with a lot of new concepts right off the bat. The general plot is somewhat straightforward but leaves enough unsaid to keep the reader guessing.

And the cliffhanger ending...
Gudny
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books
i really loved this! it was kinda nostalgic in a way, because it’s been like almost two years since I watched the anime. i wished it made me more emotional though. like the anime.
Emma ☽
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Since i suck at waiting for other volumes i'm just gonna watch the anime instead.
The ending tho, crying, crying.
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Interesting world concept, beautiful art. Enjoyed it. Looking forward to seeing where it is going.
Amarinske
Takes a while to start up the story and it was nicely drawn. I don't know if I like the story enough to carry on, so I'll have to try another volume and then decide.
Elias Alexander
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Really slow at the beginning, but picked up at the end.
Danielle Dawson
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow--a really, really strong start to a series that looks beautiful and full of promise.
Keith Hendricks
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Children of the Whales has an intriguing pitch: when psychic children drift through an abyssal desert on a tumbleweed city state called the Mud Whale, their nomadic way of life is less metaphor than noble lie...

Full review through this link (spoilers): http://www.nerdspan.com/children-whal...
Jessica
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it

A great first volume! Very intriguing world premise, engaging characters and stunning art! Definitely continuing with this one!
Kathy
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, manga
Interesting story, art is awesome.
d a n
Jun 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: average-af
My first manga!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• 約束のネバーランド 2 [Yakusoku no Neverland 2]
  • 不滅のあなたへ 2 [Fumetsu no Anata e 2] (To Your Eternity, #2)
  • To Your Eternity, tome 1 (To Your Eternity, #1)
  • 約束のネバーランド 1 [Yakusoku no Neverland 1]
  • 不滅のあなたへ 3 [Fumetsu no Anata e 3] (To Your Eternity, #3)
  • とんがり帽子のアトリエ 1 [Tongari bōshi no atelier 1]
  • とつくにの少女 6 [Totsukuni no shōjo 6]
  • 約束のネバーランド 3 [Yakusoku no Neverland 3]
  • とつくにの少女 5 [Totsukuni no shōjo 5]
  • とんがり帽子のアトリエ 2 特装版 [Tongari bōshi no atelier 2 Limited Edition]
  • O Maidens in Your Savage Season 1
  • とんがり帽子のアトリエ 3 [Tongari Boushi no Atelier 3] (Witch Hat Atelier, #3)
  • 約束のネバーランド 4 [Yakusoku no Neverland 4]
  • メイドインアビス 1 [Meido In Abisu 1] (Made in Abyss, #1)
  • ひだまりが聴こえる [Hidamari ga kikoeru]
  • とんがり帽子のアトリエ 4 [Tongari Boushi no Atelier 4] (Witch Hat Atelier, #4)
  • 不滅のあなたへ 4 [Fumetsu no Anata e 4] (To Your Eternity, #4)
  • 約束のネバーランド 5 [Yakusoku no Neverland 5]

Children of the Whales (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Les Enfants de la Baleine #2