Start by marking “Inky's Great Escape: The Incredible (and Mostly True) Story of an Octopus Escape” as Want to Read:

Inky’s Incredible Idea for an Ingenious Escape

Based on a true story, this tale follows a daring, Houdini-esque octopus as he performs his greatest escape act yet.

In April 2016, The New York Times published an article about an octopus named Inky who escaped from the National Aquarium of New Zealand through a drainpipe and into the sea. In this charming fictionalized ac
Published November 7th 2017 by Sterling Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Inky's Great Escape, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inky's Great Escape

Start your review of Inky's Great Escape: The Incredible (and Mostly True) Story of an Octopus Escape
CrossCulture
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is such a clever and cute children's book!
Ashley
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
It's a cute book and the illustrations are quite nice. I would have given it 5 stars if it had been a bit more like a true story, which the title suggests. There are a lot of great octopus escape stories, and so my expectations were a bit different from what was delivered. Still a wonderful little story.
Baby Bookworm
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends! We’re back from vacation with a brand new review! Today’s book is Inky’s Great Escape: The Incredible And (Mostly) True Story Of An Octopus Escape, written by Casey Lyall and illustrated by Sebastià Serra, a delightful tale of a daring eight-armed escape artist.

Inky is well-known as an escape artist, the greatest of the seven seas. After a life of thrilling escapes, Inky finds t
Haley Burks
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book is based off a true story, but the creativity of the story being told is adventurous. The book is full of colors and has very descriptive, pretty illustrations. If you haven’t read this book, it’s a good one!
Melissa Mcavoy
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture, 2nd, 1st, animals, 2018
Not only are the illustrations of this take on Inky more cartoonish, anodyne and less appealing than those of Inky’s Amazing Escape, the tale is oddly embroidered, with octopuses talking and playing cards. Despite the title tag line: ‘the incredible (and mostly true) story of an octopus escape’ - there is NO AUTHOR NOTE referencing the true story or distinguishing what is actually factual. Blatantly the story is NOT mostly true; it is in fact entirely fantasy, with the exception of the one fact ...more
Alexis
Dec 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
My expectations were high for this one with a great title and colourful illustrations, but the story itself was surprisingly boring. There wasn't much put into the telling of the actual escape itself, which is really what I was there for. It's also very text heavy, which didn't help make it exciting.
Tonja Drecker
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Inky was once a great octopus escape artist, but decided to take a rest and live in the aquarium, where he tells his best friend Blotchy about his adventurous tales. But after listening to the stories time and again, Blotchy wonders how many are really true—if any of them. Inky will prove that he is indeed the greatest escape artist and plan the biggest escape of all time.

Inky is an octopus to love. Pride and joy radiate off of him on every page, and even when Blotchy admits that he doesn't beli
Kellee Moye
Full review including teaching tools: http://www.unleashingreaders.com/?p=1...

Although Inky’s Great Escape is a fictionalized version of the events that happened at the National Aquarium of New Zealand in 2016, if you go and research about the escape, you’ll learn that the Inky truly is one incredible octopus! Although Lyall used creative freedom to build up Inky’s backstory (he’d retired to the aquarium after many daring escapes, and only escaped from the aquarium because Blotchy challenged him
storymamas
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Inky’s Great Escape is the true story of Inky, an octopus and escape artist! The story begins with an illustration of Inky wrapped up like Harry Houdini but the ocean, sea life version. After being tired of getting out of traps Inky decides to take a break at the aquarium where he hangs with Blotchy, another octopus. Inky is constantly telling Blotchy about all of his daring escapes so one day Blotchy challenges Inky to escape from the tank. Inky relishes this opportunity and decides he will go ...more
Debbie Smith
Mar 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book

One day after wrestling with a tricky trap, Inky, a great octopus escape artist, decides it’s time for a break from ocean life. So he retires to a local aquarium. He loves playing hide-and-seek, with his tank-mate Blotchy, and other fun games. After hearing all of Inky’s great ocean escapes, Blotchy challenges Inky to escape from their tank, which is sealed up tight. Inky agrees to the bet and says, “I’ll go one better and escape from this whole aquarium!”

Blotchy laughs. So Inky draws up his pl
Elizabeth
Jul 31, 2018 added it
Shelves: picturebooks
More heavily fictionalized than Inky the Octopus , this version fleshes out the characterization of Inky and his tankmate Blotchy more, and both the text and illustrations are busier. There's a great sassy moment near the end (view spoiler) and t ...more
Story Monsters Ink
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Octopus stories might be the next big thing because this underwater delight will elicit many giggles from readers of all ages. This delightful tale begins with Inky coming out of retirement from his local aquarium to dip his tentacles into one last great escape … to the ocean! Readers will love Inky’s planning process as he plots the perfect escape. I love the pages that give us a peek into aquarium life, and the conversations between sea creatures are incredibly clever. Readers will be fascinat ...more
Ellon
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
I liked the colorful illustrations. I was disappointed with the story though. Not a huge fan of anthropomorphism if the book is supposed to be based on a ‘true story.’ I also expected and author’s note at the end telling more about the real story. Also, with all the build up to the great escape, really the octopus just went out a crack...
I dunno this was just a miss for me.

I thought this was a black eyed Susan award nominee but, thank goodness, I got it confused with Sy Montgomery’s book that is
Lisa
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: f-and-g
After having seen rave reviews, I was surprised at how unimpressed I was by this book. The illustrations are cute, and I know it's based on a (fun) true story, but the plot seemed SO forced and Blotchy and Inky's relationship remained elusive. I also realize this is a kid's book, but I don't think that makes it exempt from good storytelling!
Elizabeth
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is SUCH a cute book! The pictures are bright and there are lots of things you could talk to kids about as you are reading. This is a very engaging story. It would probably be best in an adult- child setting as some of the pages are text heavy making this book difficult for a story time setting unless it was for K-2.
Mary
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Inky is an excellent escape artist, and it is his greatest and most fun activity. He retires, and begins living a "retired" life at the aquarium. When he is challenged to one last escape, he jumps at the chance. The colors and excitement of the book make it an engaging read.
Bailey Sulfridge
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Melanie
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 rounded up
I was excited to read it because octopi are so ridiculously smart that there have been amazing octopus escapes from aquariums. But the "mostly true" part didn't really come into the story, which was disappointing. Cute enough, but not true enough.
Sandy
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
My first grader loved the colorful illustrations in this book, but found the story didn't hold the readers interest. The Escape was over too quickly, and not enough information was given about the 'true story'.
Meredith
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lesson-plan
Extra star for the illustrations ... why was there nothing at all in the text about the octopus escape that inspired it? May use for a fact/fiction lesson with K or grade 1. And I'll show them this video:

Ryan
Jul 23, 2018 rated it liked it
This is the third rendition of this story that I have read in the last three months, and all are new books. And while this one has lovely illustrations, and a lovely story, it was done better by a predecessor.
Melanie
A picture book story of the escape of Inky the Octopus from the New Zealand aquarium. It's a cute story with darling illustrations. However I don't recommend it for storytime as it is a rather long winded story. I also found the lack of information about the real story to be quite disappointing.
emyrose8
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5- I wish there would’ve been an author’s note about the true story it’s based on (2016 escape from the National Aquarium of New Zealand). I think I remember hearing about it on the news back then, but the details are fuzzy.
Grace Lucchese
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fun story for kids, based off of true events but told in a backwards fashion. A good read for some good laughs
J.
Dec 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Adorable story based off the real octopus that escaped from the New Zealand aquarium.
Casandria
Kids who like octopuses would enjoy this one.
Shamika Fusco
Dec 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Bright and Vivid. Nice illustrations but the story runs on and on.
Martha
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I had to read this after reading The Soul of an Octopus last year. I loved the colorful illustrations.
Michelle Turner
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very fun book with excellent illustrations.
Colleen
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
I wish this book included information about the story that inspired it.

• We Don't Eat Our Classmates
  • Bear Says Thanks
  • Hero Dad
  • Holy Mole!: A Folktale from Mexico
  • A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood: The Poetry of Mister Rogers
  • First Grade US History: The First President: 1st Grade Books (Children's US Presidents & First Ladies)
  • Bear Feels Sick
  • The Mystery of Black Hollow Lane (Black Hollow Lane, #1)
  • Lion Lessons
  • The Old Truck
  • Save the Ocean (Save the Earth, #1)
  • Red Is the Color Of...
  • If Chocolate Were Purple
  • The Secret of White Stone Gate (Black Hollow Lane, #2)
Casey Lyall (5 ft 4 in, brown hair, blue eyes, no known aliases) is a middle grade and picture book writer from Southwestern Ontario. She works at her local library where she waits for Management to discover they’re actually paying her to have fun. She’s a cat person with a few carefully curated dog friends, but is highly suspicious of most birds. (It’s important to know these things upfront about ...more

News & Interviews