Start by marking “The Church of the Holy Child (Cole and Callahan #1)” as Want to Read:
The Church of the Holy Child (Cole and Callahan #1)

The Church of the Holy Child

(Cole and Callahan #1)

A woman with a history of domestic abuse is reported missing and her husband is pulled in for questioning. A relationship of too little too late with the local police prompts her sister to contact a private investigator and the team of Griff Cole and Britt Callahan take the case. When the woman is later found dead, her husband is charged as the likely killer. But with the ...more
Published September 25th 2017 by Intrigue Publishing LLC

To ask other readers questions about The Church of the Holy Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Church of the Holy Child

Start your review of The Church of the Holy Child (Cole and Callahan #1)
Laura Thomas
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Tagged as a mystery suspense story, this one lives up to the tags.

A woman goes missing. When her body is discovered, her husband is the prime suspect. But then more bodies are found and the killer could be anybody. Private investigators, police and a priest all have their roles to play as the case becomes more urgent.

Imagine being in the position Father Francis is in. A killer confesses their crimes, giving him all the gory details, and he is bound by the sanctity of the confessional, so he can’
Fran
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing

The Church of the Holy Child: Patricia Hale

A prologue that sets the tone for the horrific murders that are about to come when a killer relates how a parent was beaten mercilessly and how revenge would be taken on someone else. In the present 23 years later Britt Callahan and Griff Cole are now partners in a PI firm and the phone call they get enlists their help to find a missing woman. The person who called said her sister was leaving her husband and was supposed to let her know when she was saf
Joan
Aug 15, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this mystery. The plot was well done. Hale had me wondering who the murderer was right along with the detectives. She did a good job of revealing information about the murderer without giving away the identity. I like the characters of Cole and Callahan too. I look forward to seeing how they interact in future mysteries.

The novel deals with a tough issue. I am not Catholic but I can imagine the weight a priest must bear when he hears a confession that involves a crime. He has made a co
Lesley
Feb 02, 2018 rated it liked it
I was really a bit "meh" about this one, and at 54% almost gave up.

But I stuck with it, and although it was a bit predictable, I ended up enjoying it.
Jaime
Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was given this free review copy audiobook at my request and have voluntarily left this review.
This was a very enjoyable thriller! There were twists I certainly did not see coming!
The main characters are very likable and I would like to continue reading/listening to their stories.
Narration was well done.
Layna
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Review originally posted on Ctrl, Alt, Books!

The Church of the Holy Child was the first murder mystery I have read. It isn’t a genre that I normally read but I am trying to expand my horizon. I am really glad I did too because The Church of the Holy Child was so enthralling, I couldn’t put it down! This book is a quick read but keeps your attention the entire time.

Lelia Taylor
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: full-reviews
To me, too many thrillers and suspense novels focus on plot and action to the detriment of character development. That's not to say they can't be good; some really are very entertaining and exciting. In The Church of the Holy Child, Patricia Hale does a nice job of rounding out her story by having some very appealing and/or interesting characters and still maintains a high level of tension. The title alone was enough to gain my attention and I was not disappointed in reading this.

Britt and Griff
Jessica Bronder
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Private investigators Britt Callahan and Griff Cole get a call from a woman saying that her sister was going to leave her abusive husband and has not been heard of. When her body is discovered it seems like a cut and dry case with the husband as the killer. But other bodies are being discovered. The common denominator is they were all abused. Could all of these boyfriends and husbands be killing their wives? Individually, maybe, but when examined all together it is clear that a serial killer is ...more
Kathleen Kelly
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Church of the Holy Child is a story about revenge, plain and simple. A woman is murdered, hit upside the head with a brick. She had a history of being domestically abused by her husband. She and her child left home and went to a shelter. She had a way to escape her marriage and was going to come back for her child. She was never seen alive again.

Another woman meets the same fate, and another, this one a prostitute. How do all these women fit the profile of domestic abuse? The case goes to J
Michelle Willms
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, mystery
This is a tale of domestic abuse and murder – but not in the way you might think. It’s also a story that discusses the moral issues and obligations surrounding the relationship between a priest and his/her confessor. Does the relationship to God trump the sanctity of human life?

The author is able to keep this mystery alive and engrossing, with an interesting P.I. team and a cast of supporting characters. Her knowledge of abuse statistics and the effects are effectively dotted throughout the nov
Sue
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Domestic abuse, shelters, the religious question of what is right vs. following the rules and people who try to set others on a journey to a better life all fit into this complex book. There are various takes on divorce's consequences, dating younger men, blending a created family, and the difference between God's view as opposed to man's view. The mystery involves the death of several women who went to a shelter to escape abusive home lives. I was impressed by the depth of the characters and th ...more
Susana Duarte
Jun 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Stories about domestic violence and the people that try to help them are not new but this one is very interesting and has a nice twist. The only problem: the narration. The reading style is very bad for me even though we can follow the story until the end.
I would strongly advise to read this story as an ebook. One of the cool points of the story is when the killer goes to confession to torment a priest, so hearing the voice is a bit of a giveaway I would prefer I didn't had.
gwen graves
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely great

This really a great story. The characters are so well written and totally believable. The twist at the end, of who was a serial killer, was complete surprise.
Lgross
Sep 19, 2017 rated it liked it
I won this book from Goodreads's giveaway. It was an easy read. It's reminiscent of crime TV shows like Criminal Minds, Law & Order or CSI. I enjoyed reading this book. ...more
Cheryl
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-read
Griff Cole and Britt Callahan are hired by the sister of a murder victim, who in the past was abused by the husband and she wants justice. In domestic abuse cases, the suspicion usually leads to the spouse. But bodies are turning up with very similar M.O.s. Can this be a coincidence or is there a serial killer on the loose?

There is one person, besides the killer, who knows the truth. Fr. Francis, a priest at The Church of The Holy Child. The killer visits the priest, to boast of the killings, du
Ctrl, Alt Books!
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing

The Church of the Holy Child gets straight to the point with solving the murder cases. There aren’t any unnecessary details and it wasn’t the obvious culprit. The book is written
The Literary Apothecary
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In this psychologically thrilling crime novel by Patricia Hale, we meet a woman who has become an attorney-turned-private investigator and assists the local police department in the unsolvable crimes. Volunteering her time offering legal advice at the women’s’ shelter, she seeks to offer strategies and support to abused women. The story picks up when mothers are being murdered.

We also meet a priest who has been unwillingly pulled into the crimes. An unsavory parishioner has decided to tell him e
Jeff
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book should definitely be read before subsequent books in this series. It describes background information that is assumed knowledge in future books. It introduces some compelling characters and tells a very suspenseful story.

Kathleen Miranti's narration is quite satisfactory. Her character voices aren't particularly distinctive and she doesn't do accents, but I can't recall any instance where I couldn't follow dialog.

NOTE: I was given this free review copy audiobook at my request and hav
Sarah T. Buckley
Jun 02, 2018 added it
Cyber
Aug 20, 2017
Marina Skye
rated it did not like it
Jul 20, 2020
Lindsay Van Lierde
Aug 31, 2017
Suzatm
Nov 19, 2018
Goodreads Reviewe...: Requesting Reviews for Mystery/Suspense 1 8 Apr 26, 2017 06:13AM

• The Curse of Beauty
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
  • The Darkest Fae (Fae of Darkness #0.5)
  • The Heartbeat Thief
  • Mister Dark
  • Ice Fortress (A Jack Coulson Thriller Book 1)
  • The Last Dragon Lord: The Complete Series
  • The Best of Friends
  • Demon Dreams (Demon Blessed Book 3)
  • Ember Gate (The Elements of Kamdaria 8)
  • The House on the Shore
  • The Collective Protocol
  • Into the Light (The Light, #1)
  • Away from the Dark (The Light, #2)
  • The Queen's Opal (Stone Bearers, #1)
  • Winds of Flame (The Elements of Kamdaria)
  • Delta (Echoes of New York #1)
  • Demon Wolf (Demon Blessed #4)
Patricia Hale is the author of the stand alone mystery, In the Shadow of Revenge. The first book in her new PI series, The Church of the Holy Child, will be released August 15th. Watch for the giveaway coming soon. Patricia lives in New Hampshire with her husband and two dogs.

Cole and Callahan (3 books)
  • Durable Goods (Cole and Callahan #2)
  • Scar Tissue (Cole and Callahan #3)