Start by marking “Bloody Women” as Want to Read:
Bloody Women

Bloody Women

Before settling down to a new life in Italy with her fiance, Catriona decides to lay her past to rest by meeting up with her previous partners. But on the morning of her wedding, Cat is arrested for murder. Just just one murder, but three. All of the victims were her ex-boyfriends, and all of them were viciously mutilated.

So now she’s in jail, and the woman who is writing
Published May 11th 2017 by Polygon (first published October 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Bloody Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bloody Women

Marina Sofia
May 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is such a fun read, despite the macabre and serious subject matter. The frank, no holds barred language and messed-up characters, the deft characterisation and sly asides: this seems a stormy assault on British restraint, yet at the same time has a lot of the British self-deprecating humour.
The timeline is unusual, in that we get to hear most of the story in retrospective, while the main character is in jail on remand, via a trashy biography and her own sometimes hazy memories. I did guess
Anne
Feb 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Amazon synopsis does this book no favours - it makes it sound like a pot-boiler murder mystery, and this book was so much better than that. If I say "it wasn't really my kind of book" I don't want that to put anyone off - I just don't usually read thrillers. This is a really dark psychological thriller, with a thoroughly unlikeable heroine (as are most of the other characters), a really unusual story line (with a liberal helping of descriptions of sex, alcohol abuse, mental illness and viole ...more
Philip
Feb 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really liked the clever plot twists; however, after the first major change and realising I was only half way through the book I then guessed the next changes - I have a habit of doing this. I cannot attest to the accuracy of the locations and scenes in Glasgow, Edinburgh and Italy but they rang true. The descriptions of prison life and a bi-polar personality also rang true and were believable.

A good tale and I intend to look out for other offerings
Cleopatra  Pullen
Helen Fitzgerald’s novel Bloody Women is told in three parts, and for anyone who has read any of her other books will already know that they should expect the unexpected and that the tale being told is a commentary on a world far wider than the characters that inhabit the small one inside its pages.

In a tiny prison cell sits a young woman who didn’t get married because she was arrested for murder on the morning of her wedding. Not just one murder, three. And these were murders with a particularl
Mandy
Mar 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed the way this was written, something a bit different :) I have read a couple of books by Helen Fitzgerald so far and I think I am going to have to get the rest now.
Suzy Dominey
Karen wadey
Sep 01, 2017 rated it liked it
When I first started reading I thought this was for teenage girls but with all the twists and turns it turned in to quite a good book. If you like penises don't read this book!! It is a bit disturbing and also thought provoking.
Natalia Gameson
Started off well enough but by the end it seemed to have taken on a Point Horror vibe - Point Horror with sex, however. Four hours of my life I won't see again gone with the wind...
Jovdb
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book.

Catriona, Cat, is arrested on the day of her wedding. She is incarcerated, accused of murdering three men, all of them exes of hers.

The author tells the tale in three parts. Each time we learn more about Cat, her life, and how she ended up where she is.

Cat has a faithful friend, Anna. Anna has known Cat since school days. She has loved her almost as long. She has stood by Cat while Cat has made disastrous personal choices, always been there to help Cat recover from those choices
Natalie
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
This is a strange, funny and actually quite disturbing little read. I accidentally spoiled myself on this book by dropping it down the stairs and as I picked it up seeing a sentence that basically told me how the entire book went down (it’s in big bold letters, I couldn’t have missed it) but I still really enjoyed it. The conclusion is a bit out of nowhere and could’ve been set up better throughout the plot but a very enjoyable 250 page read that could easily be done in one sitting.
Maggie Kiely
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up as recommended. Ive never heard of this author until now. This is so dark in places and covers some really serious issues I thought a few times ‘is this for real’ There are also some humorous parts. I have never seen a book with so many twists and it was so so good. Highly recommended. Will be looking for more by this author.
Julie Clarke
A darkly comedic, gripping page turner. If you're unfortunate enough to have experienced a destructive relationship, with a jealous, controlling type, (and hopefully survived it), you will shudder when you read this book. Be afraid, be very afraid.
Stefennie
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Quite good couple of twists didn't see coming
Carole
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read with a big twist!
Sally
Oct 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little graphic in places but it's quite good and a quick read.
Andrée
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
A perfect read for my birthday holiday week. Rude, violent, funny, twisty and twisted.
Thanks cuz
Nicole
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Really struggled with this book. It was good most of the time, but it was also very hard for me to follow. Because it was told in 3 parts it was a little bit confusing.
Janette Fleming
Nov 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Catriona Marsden is called in to identify an ex-boyfriend's severed penis, her reaction is to giggle. Needless to say, that does not look good, and she's promptly arrested for the murder of not one, but three ex-boyfriends. As she puts it "I was no longer viewed as the bereaved ex-lover of three men, but was accused of shagging, mutilating and murdering them, not necessarily in that order." And that takes us to the top of page two of this very dark, very funny book.

Cat is getting married a
Lisa Daly
Feb 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have never read anything by Helen Fitzgerald before, but I will again. I couldn't put it down, it was so easy to read and flowed so well. This was a black comedy and she got the right balance of funny and sad in this book. It had many different angles and elements to this work; murder, suicide, love, friendship, family, comedy, mental illness, confused sexuality, twists and turns. It could have been disastrously messy, but Helen manages to pull it off with ease. It was well thought out to the ...more
Sandy
Dec 22, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm wondering with this 4th Novel by Helen Fitzgerald if she's lost her 'fizz'

Not really a patch on the previous 3 attempts and infact I found it a bit tedious reading at times. I was tempted to skip or speed read but thought I might miss that one gem that makes the book one of those you remember forever.... not to be. There seemed to be less plotline and it wasn't a tale that was deviously written as the last books have been, infact it was fairly transparent. It wasn't labeled as a YA but you h
Nick Davies
Jan 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
As with the previous Helen Fitzgerald I read ('Dead Lovely'), this was a bit silly in places, but was so enjoyably fast-paced, dark and visceral that I really quite liked the ride.

The story follows a young Scots woman who is imprisoned for the murder (and emasculation!) of three of her ex-boyfriends the week before she is due to marry. It's told in a straightforward, slightly 'chick-lit' confessional style, and there are plenty of pretty disgusting moments, so I can see it'd not be to everyone's
Sanaa Iona
I thought the start of the book delivered an excellent anticipation that is needed to get hooked into a novel but for me as I read into the middle I became slightly bored and following became a little confusing. I did not like the flow.It seemed oddly written. The storyline was interesting though so I kept on and I conclude that the ending was good. But not exciting enough for the twist it brought along. The ending seemed rushed. Would I read again? Yes but I would skip the middle section and fe ...more
Nicola Hawkes
Apr 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit deceptive this one, in a good way I think. Its basically a murder mystery where the male victims/lucky escapees are all exes of one woman, and have had their bits savagely removed. We meet her awaiting trial; she's OTT (some would say weird), and it all seems cut & dried (excuse the pun). Written quite simply with pretty black humour you might think its just a straightforward story. But there is a lot more to it, and it actually turns into a pretty deft treatment of family history & ...more
Celia
This book was... odd. Catriona is a rather dislikeable woman (with considerable psychological problems) who, when the books opens, is incarcerated having been charged with the murder of her ex-boyfriends on the eve of her wedding. Phew. It is unclear for most of the book whether Catriona is a reliable narrator - suspicion falls on a variety of people, there's a confession or two, and then I felt the resolution came out of nowhere. A backstory was presented to justify this plot direction, but I t ...more
Mandy
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
Really unable to put this down until I had finished it. I like this author more and more with each book that I read.
I did kind of guess the "twist" but this in no way diminished my enjoyment of this book.
My one gripe is that I disliked intensely the main character of Cat, but I actually think she was written that way intentionally. At least I hope so!
Sandra
Aug 29, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I did not especially enjoy 'Dead lovely' but this was one of a three for a fiver in The Works, so I thought worth giving another try. It's the writing, the tone - far too Bridget Jones and self-absorbed flippant. And neither entertained nor convince me.
Alfred Nobile
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most of the women in this book have some degree of mental illness. If this hereditary or introduced by outside influences, such as the male of the species. I will leave you to read and come to your own conclusions. A dark,twisted and comic tale that is worth the reading.
Douglas Roberts
Oct 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buzzes along like the central character. Towards the end I thought that if it was a film it would be pulp crap, but it wasn't a film, it was a book, and I was one with the characters and I loved them because of it.
Craig Buck
Apr 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a big fan of Helen Fitzgerald, and this one doesn't disappoint, though it wasn't as good as Dead Lovely. There were a few terrific twists in this story, but it got predictable at the end.
Renita D'Silva
Read this a while ago. Enjoyed it.

• Shadows to Ashes (The Midnight Saga Book 3)
  • Price on Their Heads: A Novel of Income Inequality and Mayhem
  • Resurrection of the Scrolls
  • The Guardians
  • The Sacrificial Man (Cate Austin, #2)
  • Scottsboro
  • Emmas Glück
  • The Long Fall
  • Mail (Volume 1)
  • Nina Todd Has Gone
  • MPD Psycho, Volume 7
  • Queen's Bounty (Ursula Blanchard, #10)
  • The Trial of Elizabeth Cree
  • Further Associates of Sherlock Holmes
  • Reus
  • Onmacht
  • Red for Revenge
  • Morten (De Morten Trilogie #1)
Helen FitzGerald is the second youngest of thirteen children. She grew up in the small town of Kilmore, Victoria, Australia, and studied English and History at the University of Melbourne. Via India and London, Helen came to Glasgow University where she completed a Diploma and Masters in Social Work. She works part time as a criminal justice social worker in Glasgow. She's married to screenwriter ...more