Start by marking “Star Wars: Original Trilogy” as Want to Read:
Star Wars: Original Trilogy

Star Wars: Original Trilogy

(Star Wars: Novelizations #4-6)

Luke Skywalker dreamed of adventures out among the stars and alien worlds. But when he intercepted a message from a beautiful captive princess, he got more than he had bargained for—and that was how the adventure of his life began. . . .

Forty years after the groundbreaking movie Star Wars: A New Hope first hit the silver screen, Star Wars remains one of the most beloved sa

Published April 20th 2017 by Cornerstone Digital (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Star Wars, please sign up.
DanielC_C1 first, It gives the reader an idea on how to read the robot names. Second, you're writing the number names wrong. And third, you are probably the only…morefirst, It gives the reader an idea on how to read the robot names. Second, you're writing the number names wrong. And third, you are probably the only one that thinks it's odd(less)
Gustavo Rocha You're gonna read exactly the same thing as you've seen in the movies. Sometimes you could watch the movies and read the book at the same time and you…moreYou're gonna read exactly the same thing as you've seen in the movies. Sometimes you could watch the movies and read the book at the same time and you won't see any difference. But it's cool to see the details (some of em it's not possible to see on screens) and how George Lucas wrote it before the movies comes out. It's like you're going back in time. I guess I would say that this book was made for fans, cuz I think that only the fans would know how to appreciate it in the right way. Idk, you should try it!(less)

Alejandro
The Force is strong here!

This was the edition that I actually read for the Original Trilogy, but I did separate reviews of each Episode contained here.

I did review of each Episode (IV, V & VI) featured here in this edition, just look for the separate novelization of each Star Wars movie of the Original trilogy, and you'll be able to read about my thoughts on each Episode, along with the differences found on each of those said Episodes in comparison with the theatrical films.

Brad
WARNING: This is not a review of the books. I plan to write those separately someday. This is, rather, a review of the original Star Wars Trilogy catalyzed by the final episode of Lost. Please don't bother reading this if you're looking for a book review. Thanks.

About twenty years ago, I found myself in a debate about the merits of the Star Wars Trilogy with a guy named Bill (at least I think that was his name. Let’s call him Bill) and my friend Dave. Bill was trying to convince us that the Tril
mark monday
Dec 16, 2012 marked it as unread-forever  ·  review of another edition
Episode IV: A New Hope

Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

Carol
Dec 24, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, saw-the-movie
Star Wars -The Force Awakens was incredible, but I have questions......and we have to wait until 2017???
Arya *Bibliomaniac!* Fraser Stark
Anthony
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Had a lot of fun reading through these. Was good to see the similarities and differences with the films. Return of the Jedi may have been the best out of the three
Claire
A New Hope: A fun, breezy read reminiscent of the pulp science-fiction of yesteryear, with the famous cast of characters we all know and love. It doesn't add to the film, but it's an enjoyable romp nonetheless.

The Empire Strikes Back: This is almost literally the film's script with a few added adjectives. While the edgy, dark story is still intact, this novelization brings nothing new to the table. And also, Yoda is blue for some reason.

The Return of the Jedi: Easily one of the best Star Wars fi
Dave
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Classic what else can I say, well you all know the story anyways.
Good job lol !
Chad Warner
The movies of the original Star Wars trilogy (Episodes 4-6) are some of my favorite movies, so I decided to try the novelization. These books are very close to the movies, but some of the dialogue is different, and there are a few additional scenes in the book.

Star Wars
All 3 novels in this book are based on George Lucas' movie scripts, but this is the only one actually authored by him. There are a couple scenes of Luke with Biggs Darklighter and other friends on Tatooine that weren't in the movi
Jeremy
Mar 06, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The writing style gets progressively worse as you move through these books. Eventually, I swore that Yoda was narrating. Just clumsy and weirdly worded.
Stephen
Dec 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
This is for the Barnes & Noble leather-bound edition.

I initially received this as a Christmas gift from some good friends of mine and I immediately began to crack down and read it. I'm a big Star Wars fan and I've never had a chance to read any novelization set in the original Galactic Civil War.

I was prepared to simply relive the Big Three, but became curious when I discovered that the novelization of A New Hope is actually the ORIGINAL Novelization from 1977 that was based on an earlier
Xeyra
Apr 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
As a longtime fan of Star Wars, it was a pleasure to read the novelizations of this beloved trilogy. One could almost hear the Millenium Falcon's engines as they soared into space, or that unique sound of the jedi lightsabers, or even recall various scenes from the movies as we read them in the books, the familiar lines coming to our lips. It gives an interesting sense of nostalgia.

It was particularly nice to read some missing scenes we never got to see in the movies, like a few more moments in
Brenda A
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is exactly what you think it is--novelizations of the movie. The introduction from George Lucas confuses me a bit, and I'm not sure if these came first or the movies came first, but it doesn't really matter. There's a little extra detail (obviously, since it's a book) which I really appreciated, but ultimately if you've seen the movies you're not going to find out a lot of new information here.
Marina Ribacki
O universo criado é maravilhoso PORÉM a escrita (e tradução? não sei dizer) foi sofrível em várias partes. Livro lindo de qualquer forma.
Jana
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These may not be the most well written books of all time, but they are really fun and enjoyable.
Dominik
What a great read! The Star Wars trilogy novelization is written by three different authors (one for each movie) and all of them captured the space spirit perfectly. If you like Star Wars or movie novelizations in general, you should certainly check this out!
Grant
Aug 05, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Die-hard Star Wars fans.
I'm a big fan of the Star Wars films but these novelisations of the classic trilogy did nothing for me I'm afraid. I hadn't really expected to be bowled over by the quality of the writing but I had hoped for a reasonably enjoyable read and some additional insight into the Star Wars canon. I got neither.

George Lucas's Star Wars was the best of the bunch (which surprised me, given the brain-dead and cheesy dialogue he gave his characters to spout in the prequel trilogy). Donald F. Glut's The Empir
Anamarija
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I admit that I only saw Star Wars in 2015 (when The Force Awakens came out) and then the rest in 2016. Bad nerd, me. But, my parents already think Doctor Who is strange.

Either way, this was a birthday present from myself. It was a good choice. Spent a good two weeks very entertained and a bit like I was walking round with all three films.

The story is well, the same, obvi. But there is a little extra scene where Luke meets with his friend before the person whose name I’ve forgotten goes off to
Neil
Oct 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm the wrong person to write an objective review of anything to do with Star Wars, in my opinion, nothing beats it. Anything to do with the original films will always get five stars from me.

Ok, so the novels aren't great literature and Star Wars is meant to be watched, not read. But every fan will want this little hardcover edition of all three original trilogy novels. The novels follow the films pretty accurately, but at times the dialogue is slightly different. There's also a few added scenes
Martine
Sep 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started this for my three year old son. He is obsessed with Star Wars and I've never actually gotten through any of the movies. I wanted to be able to answer some of the questions he asks me while we are pretending/ playing Star Wars. I was pretty sure I could get through the books since I haven't been able to get through the movies. You can tell the books were written after the movies because they aren't as descriptive as I thought they'd be. I'm glad I read them. Now I am excited to watch th ...more
Stacey
I enjoyed this series as a child and I still enjoy it today. Fun coming of age story about Luke Skywalker as he chooses between good and evil, the rebel alliance and the empire! This trilogy of stories follow the movie trilogy.
Foggygirl
Good read, although there isn't much more background information storyline wise than there was in the movies, follows the basic screenplay. Yoda is described as being blue though in "The Empire Strikes Back" and then green in "Return of the Jedi" so that was glaringly inconsistent.
Sue
May 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
You can't call yourself a fan without having read these. Period.
Miguel Vega
Just AMAZING!!!! I had this still in the packaging for a whole year before I decided to read it and I was blown away!!! New fan of this series!!!
Dark-Draco
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the three books in this omnibus with varying levels of enjoyment. 'A New Hope' by George Lucas, was the most interesting, in that it is in essence the start of the whole sage. Very weird to see lightsabers referred to as laser-swords. 'Empire Strikes Back' was probably the best written and the one I liked best, while 'Return of the Jedi' was the one I though was the worst of the three.

However, they were a really good read. Taken as part of the whole series of novelisations as a whole, th
Wil C. Fry
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

It’s probably two or three stars if I were grading fairly, but I’m not. It’s difficult to put a score on a set of stories like this, which have permeated pop culture through the majority of my lifetime. The literature itself isn’t incredibly profound or groundbreaking, and some might take umbrage at my very use of the word “literature” here.

Still, the stories are captivating, easy enough to read, and gosh darnit they’re fun.

I will say that even in these three novelizations, the canon changed — b

Nate
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is the ultimate edition, to a star wars fans collection. It has all the unforgettable characters from the movies, and basically portraits the 3 movies (A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back and The Return of The Jedi) in much detail. Great book.

Theme(s): Adventurous and funny

"Size matters not"
-Yoda
Chiara
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Il mio amore per la trilogia originale ha inciso non poco sul voto.
Evan McB
May 07, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I originally picked this up to see for myself what supplemental mythology offered here was later retconned by prequel or sequel films to George Lucas' original Star Wars. The first part of this edition, the novel adaptation of A New Hope, puts forth some things that were retconned as soon as the release of the next movie, The Empire Strikes Back. For example, right on the first page, the Emperor is described as an absent overlord controlled by bureaucratic sycophants, more like Théoden than the ...more
Day  Morgenstern
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really, really enjoyed this book. I can't even describe how much I enjoyed it. When I first started reading it I had abandoned previous books because they weren't written well. I was severely in need of a well written book. The Trilogy did not disappoint. It took me a while to get through because well, it's three separate stories that you have to work into the climax of individually, and I had school as well to finish for the year. Despite taking a while to read, I enjoyed it each time I read, ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Please Add Cover 3 14 Jan 04, 2018 06:15AM
Star Wars Books 1 4 Dec 27, 2016 02:00PM

• The Han Solo Adventures (Classic Star Wars)
  • Star Wars: The Prequel Trilogy
  • Jedi Eclipse (Agents of Chaos, #2) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #5)
  • Lightsabers (Star Wars: Young Jedi Knights, #4)
  • The Adventures of Lando Calrissian (Star Wars: The Adventures of Lando Calrissian, #1-3)
  • The Joiner King (Star Wars: Dark Nest, #1)
  • Star Wars Encyclopedia
  • Showdown at Centerpoint (Star Wars: The Corellian Trilogy, #3)
  • Reunion (Force Heretic, #3) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #17)
  • Revenge of the Sith (Star Wars: Novelizations, #3)
  • Tales from the Empire (Star Wars)
  • Rebel Dream (Enemy Lines, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #11)
  • The Mandalorian Armor (Star Wars: The Bounty Hunter Wars, #1)
  • The Last Command
George Walton Lucas, Jr. is an Academy Award-winning American film director, producer, and screenwriter. He is the creator of the epic Star Wars saga and the archaeologist-adventurer character Indiana Jones. Today, Lucas is one of the American film industry's most financially successful independent directors/producers, with an estimated net worth of $3.6 billion.

Star Wars: Novelizations (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Phantom Menace (Star Wars: Novelizations, #1)
  • Attack of the Clones (Star Wars: Novelizations, #2)
  • The Clone Wars (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, #1)
  • Solo: A Star Wars Story (Star Wars)
  • Revenge of the Sith (Star Wars: Novelizations, #3)
  • Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Star Wars)
  • A New Hope  (Star Wars: Novelizations, #4)
  • The Empire Strikes Back (Star Wars: Novelizations, #5)
  • Return of the Jedi (Star Wars: Novelizations, #6)
  • The Force Awakens (Star Wars: Novelizations, #7)
“No! Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.” 1000 likes