Start by marking “Feed the Resistance: Recipes + Ideas for Getting Involved” as Want to Read:
Feed the Resistance: Recipes + Ideas for Getting Involved

Feed the Resistance: Recipes + Ideas for Getting Involved

From favorite cookbook author Julia Turshen comes this practical and inspiring handbook for political activism—with recipes. As the millions who marched in January 2017 demonstrated, activism is the new normal. When people search for ways to resist injustice and express support for civil rights, environmental protections, and more, they begin by gathering around the table ...more
Published October 3rd 2017 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Feed the Resistance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Feed the Resistance

Stella
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I found this surprisingly inspiring. It is a collection of essays and recipes by people in resistance movements. While some of the recipes seemed more complicated than I usually like, there were some simple and appealing ones, and I really appreciated the ethnic diversity included. My main take-away was that we all have something to contribute. Some people can write well, some can organize marches, some can knit pink pussy hats, some can cook or bake delicious and sustaining foods. I needed that ...more
Sanjida
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
I got this as a gift, so I feel shitty not feeling it. Some of the recipes look interesting, and I'll pass them to my spouse who has the patience to follow recipes. It suggests you can be the person in the resistance who can make nutritious food. This sounds like personal fullfilment through right-thinking virtue signaling. On the other hand, it's great that the proceeds went to the ACLU. My place in the resistence is to know where fast cheap ready made comfort food is available, to tell you GMO ...more
Ashanté
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a short, easy read. As someone who researches food access, I appreciated the combination of recipes (embodied experience) and essays reflecting on justice and equity. The essays are short and assume you have some knowledge of the people who wrote them. I didn’t, so I had to google. My favorite essay was written by Shakirah Simley, because she explicitly addresses anti-black racism and state violence at the intersection of food.

Overall, good read. At some point, I’ll cook my way through
Leah
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Time for an attitude shift: this book was uplifting, inspiring and left me eager to bake. Written by a cookbook author, activist and put-your-money-where-your-mouth-is super human, Julia Turshen compiled this book of inspiring essays and recipes by grass roots organizers working around the country to improve lives in their communities. The proceeds from the book go the ACLU. Check out Julia Turshen's Instagram for more inspiration.
Savannah
Dec 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Ohhhhhh, I liked this book, but I had wanted to love it. (Julia Turshen ILU so much, please don't hate me if you read this.) As someone who's already pretty immersed in social justice, perhaps I'm not the target audience? But I was hoping for more actual connections between theory and food-related activity, and this ended up with mostly a lot of calls to action. The lists of ways to engage at the end were welcome, but bog standard, and in some situations unhelpful.

Having worked at a lot of nonpr
ara
Feb 25, 2019 added it
bulk recipes
Judy
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received this book as part of a Goodreads giveaway and the following is my honest opinion.

I found the book hard to read, not because of the writing, but because it talks about the world in which we live in today. I also found it comforting to think of people seeing food as a form of comforting those who are affected by the current political climate, as well as a way to contribute to the protests we all need to be making.

A read for those who are involved and those who want to be.
Cheryl
Feb 21, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a book filled with good intentions and heart. Ms. Turshen offers stories of caring and activism sprinkled with recipes from many people from a spectrum of backgrounds. Some feed the activist at home or while at the march or waiting to speak to their elected officials. Other recipes can feed the room as you organize next steps, clarify intentions, and in other ways make the world a better place. The book did make me hungry for more specific ways to get involved that might spark movement f ...more
Robert Hudder
Sep 16, 2018 rated it liked it
There really has to be two ways to read this book. One has to be the recipes and the other is the guide to the activism. I really wanted both to be tied together more closely as in food as resistance but found it more as a backdrop to activism. There are varied recipes in terms of diversity and some connections between activism and food kitchens. (Black Panthers and their food for example).

I had already been trying to figure out how to go about making a more intentional community and I have bee
Gwen
May 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: food
Being interested in food, really caring about it, has a domino effect. You start caring about where it comes from, what it means to the people you are feeding, and what it means to be fed. (11–12)

Better in theory than execution, with some decent recipe ideas and a strong push for intersectionality. On the whole, the essays were better than the recipes, although I wished for a stronger editorial voice and more information about each of the writers.

h/t: Washington Post and Eater
Tina
Apr 06, 2018 rated it liked it
First off, I’m glad I purchased this book and regardless of my review, I’m happy that the proceeds of its sale go to the ACLU. That being said, I wanted this to be much more than it was. The essays and tips didn’t feel inspiring - perhaps because they were discussing things I already thought/felt/was aware of. I expected more connections between food & activism than what it provided. Beyond that though, I feel like the recipes are a bit more complicated than I expected, and many call for ing ...more
L
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I bought this book in late 2017 because the proceeds from its sale are donated to the ACLU. Initially, I found it distressing to read as it reminded me of all sorts of things I wanted to escape thinking about, but I kept reading it one recipe or entry at a time and eventually found it comforting and inspiring. I've made two of the recipes (so far), and they turned out great. So, there are many reasons to love this little book.
Melissa
Feb 11, 2018 rated it liked it
I thought this was more about activism and organizing than recipes, so it's my fault for being disappointed. If you're looking for simple recipes that can easily scale up for a crowd, there are some useful ones here. And there are a few short essays about activism, but the bulk of the book is recipes.
Beverly
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I like cookbooks with full color photos and spines that allow you to lay the book flat on the counter but I like the message of this book and the recipes too so I’m giving it four stars despite its format. Looking forward to some great meals!
Donna Hutt Stapfer Bell
Food for the body as well as the fighting spirit

I'm going to see how many copies of this I can give away as gifts this Christmas - portable support, both for feeding and giving sound advice!
Maya Gee
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not my type of book

Some big ideas are the main focus of this book but I feel like they’re not elaborated on enough. It’s a very quick read. I haven’t tried any of the recipes but some seemed very interesting.
Ellen
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great context around some really good recipes. It reminds me of when I discovered Moosewood Cookbook and joined my local food coop. Fast forward 40 years and here we are! I wish it was a longer book but it simply means I need to check out Julia Turshen's other books.
Sara-Kay
Oct 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting concept, appealing layout / formatting, and interesting / diverse voices contributing. Left me wanting a little more, though. And many of the recipes seemed highly impractical. I love the idea of this book more than the actual finished product.
Juli Anna
Jan 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
A lovely and important little volume with a lot of heart. As with any contribution-based affair, there was some variation in quality from piece to piece, and I could tell that this was a little rushed in its conception, but I still enjoyed it very much.
Brooke
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kinda a weird combination to be put together in a book. I'll probably try a couple recipes.
Daniela
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An inspirational book . I cannot put into words how much I enjoyed it.
Danielle
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I can’t wait to get my hands on a physical
Copy of this book to add to my collection! The essays are well written and informative and inspiring! Can’t wait to try out a few of the recipes!
Jess
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good essays, good recipes.
Sasha Boersma
Nov 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: food
It’s ok. Mix of essays about activism breaking up collections of recipes. The connection between the two aren’t very clear. Many recipes are provided by activists involved by causes.
Pam
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun little volume, and I can attest the Pizza Frittata for a crowd is wonderful, easy, and does feed a crowd!
Heidi
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Delicious, inspiring, and for a good cause. A great combination.
Joan
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm not alone! :-)
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Great recipes with Turshen's usual practical brilliance and amazing additional voices. This book made me feel hopeful just as exhaustion set it.
Caroline Mincks
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Some great ideas for activism, from how to get started to avoiding burnout. Recipes are interesting and fresh, with enough variety to please anyone.
Jill Blevins
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's literally a cookbook for feeding collections of activists, written by a collection of activists.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• A Boat, a Whale & a Walrus: Menus and Stories
  • The Mission Chinese Food Cookbook
  • Simple: Effortless Food, Big Flavours
  • Food52 Mighty Salads: 60 New Ways to Turn Salad Into Dinner
  • Power Concedes Nothing: One Woman's Quest for Social Justice in America, from the Courtroom to the Kill Zones
  • Turquoise: A Chef's Travels in Turkey
  • Cherry Bombe: The Cookbook
  • Solo: A Modern Cookbook for a Party of One
  • Season: Big Flavors, Beautiful Food
  • Feast: Food of the Islamic World
  • A Baker's Year: Twelve Months of Baking and Living the Simple Life at the Smoke Signals Bakery
  • Seductions of Rice
  • My Pizza: The Easy No-Knead Way to Make Spectacular Pizza at Home
  • Together: Our Community Cookbook
  • Susan Feniger's Street Food: Irresistibly Crispy, Creamy, Crunchy, Spicy, Sticky, Sweet Recipes
  • Near & Far: Recipes Inspired by Home and Travel
  • The Japanese Kitchen
  • Food52 Genius Desserts: 100 Recipes That Will Change the Way You Bake
Julia Turshen is the bestselling author of Now & Again, a Goodreads Choice Awards 2018 semi-finalist (vote for her here), as well as Feed the Resistance, named the Best Cookbook of 2017 by Eater, and Small Victories, named one of the Best Cookbooks of 2016 by the New York Times and NPR.

Epicurious has called her one of the 100 Greatest Home Cooks of All Time. She is the founder of Equity At Th
“Activism is acting on your values—practical activism means being smart about it.” 1 likes