Start by marking “Ms. Marvel, Vol. 8: Mecca” as Want to Read:
Ms. Marvel, Vol. 8: Mecca

Ms. Marvel, Vol. 8: Mecca

(Ms. Marvel (2014/15) (Collected Editions) #8)

The villains are at Kamala's door, and Ms. Marvel has to save a city that doesn't want saving. The malleable Ms. Marvel continues her hero's journey as an enemy from her past begins targeting those closest to her, a challenge that calls into question everything about her -- not just as a super hero, but as a human being! Who can Ms. Marvel trust when everyone in Jersey Cit ...more
Published December 26th 2017 by Marvel

Start your review of Ms. Marvel, Vol. 8: Mecca
Sam Quixote
May 01, 2018 rated it did not like it
I suspected Trump’s election broke G. Willow Wilson’s brain in the last Ms Marvel book – now I’m convinced it has! Ms Marvel has jumped (Trumped?) the shark – Volume 8: Mecca is so pants, I’m abandoning this title.

In the main story, Wilson indulges in the popular far-left fantasy where the normal rules of democracy have been suspended because Trump is a literal Nazi and America is now a fascist state. The New Jersey mayor has been replaced by a right-wing Nazi white supremacist demagogue (read:
David Schaafsma
After a kind of dwindling of energy and quality and focus in the last few volumes, Ms. Marvel: Volume Eight reveals the team has recaptured its initial zip and sharpness. The story had been working in contemporary political issues, but here they are in full force, as the Pakistani Muslim Kahn (and Kamala’s, aka Ms. Marvel’s) family from Jersey City that we have come to love is now under siege from far right nationalists.

To rather specifically echo current trends, Ms. Marvel, a social reformer,
Calista
OK, I did enjoy this volume. The last 2 issues of the book deal with a runaway train and that whole thing seemed silly to me. There is a place where Ms. Marvel picks up the train and switches tracks. If you have ever had a train set that you played with, you know that you have to set each car on the track and make sure it is on the track or it will drag and derail the train. You can just lift the engine car and the whole train will follow. This was beyond silly to me. I prefer super events that ...more
Chad
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
I think this was my favorite volume of the current series. We start out with a story echoing the ugly nationalism that has risen over the last 2 years in the US. Chuck the hipster hydra agent illegally takes over as mayor and starts his own police force, rounding up everyone who is different. They try to make things so difficult for those they've identified as undesirables that they'll move out of Jersey City and go to NYC. Kamala finds herself just as frustrated as many of us have felt since th ...more
Brierly
Jan 23, 2018 added it
Shelves: comics, reviewed
”You wanna know how people get radicalized? They get radicalized when they think the only way they can have a starring role in their own lives is by playing the villain.”

Volume 8 of Ms. Marvel ties up the series 2 plot of gentrification and Jersey City. As always, Kamala is endearing and worth rooting for; I did enjoy the first cycle of these comics more (Vols. 1-4) but I will continue reading this series for the foreseeable future.
Rory Wilding
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This has been said before that if there is any superhero comic currently published that is the modern equivalent of Stan Lee and Steve Ditko's The Amazing Spider-Man, it would be G. Willow Wilson's Ms. Marvel as much like Peter Parker's life, Kamala Khan's is all about balancing her personal life with friends and family, high school and her duties as the local superhero, in which despite her good intentions, it's not helping gaining the public's trust.

What was great about the previous volume was
Bradley
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This volume was actually rather interesting if not actually brilliant. We have a new villain and a somewhat usual attack on New Jersey, but underneath the usual storylines, this is where the comic is good.

Relationships. Character development. Belonging.

In this case, it really is about belonging to a place and what it means to your sense of self. I like that.

This isn't ever going to be one of my favorite comics, but I can appreciate what it does right. :)
Renata
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
(read as single issues)

Kamala and the Hulk are friends from work.
Fafa's Book Corner
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
GR Ultimate Summer Reading Challenge One and Done.
Rod Brown
Feb 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Once again, captivating character interaction makes up for the absolute mess in the plotting. The first arc is a screed against Trumpism with a little nod of understanding as to why Trump is popular with some people. The second, shorter tale about a runaway train seems to illustrate only a vague knowledge of trains, railroad systems and physics. (Can anyone tell me what happened in that tunnel when the two trains were on course for a head-on collision?)
Ashley
This is probably actually a five-star comic, but it was a little depressing and I resent that it was a little depressing, which is really my problem and not the book's, but still. Enjoyment is ultimately part of my rating system, so, minus half a star, Ms. Marvel!

Regardless of how it made me want to punch all humans in the mouth a little, Ms. Marvel continues to be the most solid, contemplative (yet still somehow fun) superhero comic I've read. Granted, that's not as many as most people because
Bookishrealm
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting installment to the series. I can’t say that it’s my favorite considering the fact that it had a similar message to the last volume. I was hoping that the series would provide us with something new. I was glad to see that Bruno became a permanent of Wakanda. I really think that this means that his story is going to take an interesting turn. I’ll be looking forward to what will be coming in the next volume.
Elizabeth A
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018, graphix, kids-ya
I'm not a fan of overly preachy stories, and while I tend to agree with the politics of this graphic novel, I think the plot and characters were sacrificed in pursuit of educating the public.

"You wanna know how people get radicalized? They get radicalized when they think the only way they can have a starring role in their own lives is by playing the villain.”

There's much to be said about confirmation basis, but I don't need it, and while I liked some of the plot lines, I'm not sure about the poi
Scott
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it

Xenophobia rocks Jersey City in the form of hostile-takeover mayor Chuck Worthy (ugh and LOL - that name . . . ) and his narrow-minded "Keepers of Integration, Normalization and Deference" followers. Who is up to challenge to stop things from going in this very wrong direction? Kamala Khan, of course. Whether she's tussling with wannabe villains Lockdown and Discord or receiving support from tough-as-nails ousted mayor Stella "I'm going to bulldoze [for democracy]" Marchesi and a cameo
Kate (GirlReading)
The social commentary, the politics, the humour, the action sequences, the family dynamics, the angst.
Y. E. S.
I will never stop shouting about this series. It's a gift to and from Marvel and I hope one day they give the series, G. Willow Wilson and Kamala, the true appreciation they deserve.
Wing Kee
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Bullseye.

World: Art once again is fantastic with beautifully expressive and charming characters. The world building is simply amazing. This book is so meta textual it makes me so happy. The pieces Wilson adapts from weekdays happening to America right now will blow your brain.

Story: Meta to the nth degree. This book has an opinion and message and Wilson has always not shied from that and it's even more so here. There are parts that are a bit heavy handed but it is done so well. The villain see
Lauren Stoolfire
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kamala Khan's Ms. Marvel is one of my favorite newer Marvel comics characters. The entire series has been pretty fantastic, but I'd say that this volume is one of the best recent ones. It's not afraid to get very real plus focus on Kamala's family, all while featuring some great action scenes and a fun sense of humor. I particularly enjoyed seeing Kareem, aka the Red Dagger, return in an entirely different setting from his previous appearance. I also loved that Thor: Ragnarok reference, by the w ...more
Diz
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Ms. Marvel is as good as ever. In this volume, Jersey City is taken over by a group that want to make Jersey City great again. The group's ire is directed against people with super powers. Ms. Marvel comes to realize that not everyone appreciates her efforts to save the city, and as a result she loses her confidence. One really nice thing about this story is that Kampala's brother gets to play a bigger role. He gets caught up in the craziness going on in Jersey City. Despite not having super pow ...more
E.
3,5 🌟

Wow, I didn't expect HIM to be Zoe's evil sidekick. Mostly because I forgot he existed but still.
Also, a much cooler boy has made a comeback here as well so let's care about him instead.

__________________________

insta | twitter | blog | booksirens | duolingo
RG
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Still loving this as much as the previous. Has great superhero action and story with perfect combination of real world themes/discussion. Keep making this great series.
Frédéric
May 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Surprise, surprise, G. Willow Wilson is on the left of the political spectrum. That's Ok.
She tries to convey an allegorical tale about Trump's politics, people's reactions against each other and particularly those different. That's Ok.
She bends credibility to her needs without flinching. That's not Ok.

Again, Wilson doesn't bother to explain situations. The mayor of Jersey City has been evicted by the Hydra guy we saw in former volumes. Shazam! It looks like it happened overnight, just like tha
Cristina Monica
Another great addition to the Ms. Marvel series.

Every time I pick a new volume up, I know that I will find in it action, adventure, cool superpowers put to use, fantastic friendships developed, interesting plot lines (the majority of time), diversity, and a lot of heart.

This series could literally never end. Sometimes when I read it I am reminded of Fairy Tail. For those who don’t know this manga series, it’s about a group of people that are part of a guild and go on a lot of quests to earn mo
Robin Stevens
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Honestly, Ms Marvel is just head and shoulders above most other ongoing comic series. Kamala is a wonderfully honest, flawed but good-hearted hero, and the storylines aren't afraid to tackle big issues in very sensitive ways. Plus, it's just amazing to see a Muslim family at the heart of an American story, allowed to be well-rounded, kind, ordinary human beings. Every comic fan should read this. 10+

*Please note: this review is meant as a recommendation only. Please do not use it in any marketing
Adan
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
How can people be so stupid, so angry, and so frightened that they just line up behind whatever strongman shows up promising a return to “better times”, no matter who they hurt? Ms Marvel has a crisis of confidence when some past threats (including Hipster Hydra Chuck and Junior Gestapo Becky-with-the-stupid-hair) return to “Make Jersey City Great Again”, and they’ve got more than a few willing residents backing them up. Then Laal Khanjeer moves to Jersey City and Ms Marvel decides maybe it’s ti ...more
Bogi Takács
Catching up on comics! Here is my review of vols 7-8 (separately):

Source of the book: Amazon wishlist gift from goodbyebird. Thank you!
Koen
Nov 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good issue!
Enjoyed the domestic struggles, Hydra claiming mayorship, all the hassles,...
Always love to see Ms. Marvel in action, fysically ànd verbally :)

Anniek
It's gonna be a long wait until the next volume!!
cynthia ✨
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Tova
This series is wild. I love the relationship with Karim (and Laal Khanjeer). Also, I want gyros so badly. RTC

• Magnificent Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1: Destined
  • Magnificent Ms. Marvel, Vol. 2: Stormranger
  • Champions, Volume 2: The Freelancer Lifestyle
  • The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Vol. 7: I've Been Waiting for a Squirrel Like You
  • Champions, Volume 1: Change the World
  • Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, Vol. 2: Cosmic Cooties
  • Avengers & Champions: Worlds Collide
  • Hawkeye: Kate Bishop, Vol. 3: Family Reunion
  • Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, Vol. 5: Fantastic Three
Award-winning writer of comics and novels including MS MARVEL and THE BIRD KING.

Ms. Marvel (2014/15) (Collected Editions) (10 books)
  • Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1: No Normal