Start by marking “The Woman in the Window” as Want to Read:
The Woman in the Window

The Woman in the Window

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  110,552 Ratings  ·  14,265 Reviews
Anna Fox lives alone—a recluse in her New York City home, unable to venture outside. She spends her day drinking wine (maybe too much), watching old movies, recalling happier times . . . and spying on her neighbors.

Then the Russells move into the house across the way: a father, a mother, their teenage son. The perfect family. But when Anna, gazing out her window one night,
Published January 2nd 2018 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about The Woman in the Window, please sign up.
Lauren B I totally agree. After I finish the 'Good Read' synopsis of the book I'm interested in, I want to read people's BRIEF personal thoughts on the story.…moreI totally agree. After I finish the 'Good Read' synopsis of the book I'm interested in, I want to read people's BRIEF personal thoughts on the story. I skip every review that starts by describing the plot.(less)
Lorelei Yes. There is a current wave of novels with the same premise over and over: women who witness something but are unreliable due to unstable…moreYes. There is a current wave of novels with the same premise over and over: women who witness something but are unreliable due to unstable personalities and drug/alcohol/rx use. The Woman in Cabin 10, The Woman in the Window, Girl on a Train...You get the idea. If you are looking for something of this intensity that doesn't follow a predictable storyline I can recommend The Child Finder or The River at Night.
(less)

Emily May
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Who knows what goes on in a family?

Okay, I really don't want to misrepresent this book: The Woman in the Window is a pulpy, fast-paced popcorn thriller. It's not mindblowing or groundbreaking, but it is pageturning goodness. And it was exactly what I needed to get lost in right now.

The premise is a little bit of The Girl on the Train and a little bit of The Woman in Cabin 10 (what is it with these girl/woman/wife titles?!), with an unreliable narrator, faulty memories, alcoholism, and the auth
Elyse
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
NO SPOILERS

This is a solid 4 Stars for me. It’s been awhile since I’ve read a psychological suspense thriller —-a surprise gift in the mail. My copy says a film is already in the making. I can definitely see this novel as a movie. It should be good! The book is good.

There are a few other reviews about the plot already ....so I’m going to simply list some random thoughts about my experience reading it.

....I enjoyed the premises of this story. Anna Fox being a child psychologist with a psycholog
Emma Giordano
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks
5/5 Stars. I am SO BLOWN AWAY BY THIS NOVEL. The Woman In The Window is an absolutely amazing debut mystery-thriller. I cannot recommend it enough.

CW: agoraphobia, anxiety, depression, substance abuse/alcoholism, murder, death, grief

My favorite part of this novel is the writing style. A.J. Finn has the perfect sort of prose that forces you to think, “How can someone ACTUALLY think like this? How does someone forms the words to illustrate such a perfect passage?” This book is descriptive in a way
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion but I'm getting a bit tired of reading mysteries where the main female character is an alcoholic. I get it, it makes them unreliable (and relatable for some maybe?) but it's a cheap way of doing it.

With that said, I'm usually not too difficult with mysteries. They just have to not do anything stupid (racism, sexism...), be entertaining and have twists I don't see coming.

In this book, you're following a psychologist who went through something traumati
Kaceey - Traveling Sister
4.5*

"Agoraphobia is an intense fear and anxiety of being in places where it is hard to escape, or where help might not be available. Agoraphobia usually involves fear of crowds, bridges, or of being outside alone." -NIH

For the past 10 months Anna has been trapped inside the four walls she calls home. She can’t bring herself to take a single step outside. No grocery shopping, no walks through the park, not even to pick a package from the front stoop. Anna is an agoraphobic. Her days are filled wi
Deanna
Mar 01, 2018 rated it liked it
I had “The Woman in the Window” on my list to read, but thought it would be awhile before I got to it. But then I came across it on Audible. So I decided to use one of my credits for it. I am starting to enjoy audiobooks a lot more, though I do find them harder to review. I usually have a ton of post-it tabs in the books I read that help me keep track of things. With audio, I’m usually relaxing and don’t want to stop to make a note.

Anna Fox was once an active child psychologist with a wonderful
Barry Pierce
I'm surprised that I actually finished this novel because my patience was gone, girl.
karen
Oct 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: free-from-work
NOW AVAILABLE!!!

so, add my name onto the long list of superheroes who are conflicted about their powers, moaning about how alienating it is to have superhuman abilities, how it is truly more curse than boon.

because i have emerged from two weeks of debilitating illness physically enfeebled, but with a new power, like john smith in The Dead Zone - i can now call all of the twists. not one or two, but all. of. the. twists.

and this does not please me, or make me feel superior or smug. in fact, it’s
j e w e l s [Books Bejeweled]
3 STARS
You don't know how happy I was to get my greedy little paws on both the audio and Kindle versions of THE WOMAN IN THE WINDOW. My expectations were through the roof! Have you seen all those 5 star reviews?

As it turns out, the book doesn't live up to the hype. Yes, it is as addictive as popcorn, I couldn't put it down. But, there are so many disappointing drawbacks that I couldn't rate it a 4 star read.

For audio-lovers, do not waste your precious Audible credit on this one. It is absolute
*TANYA*
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-of-2018
4.5 stars!! Okay, the hype this book is getting is warranted. I usually stink at guessing the outcome of a mysterious plot, the “who done it” but I was spot on this time (yes!) and that still didn’t deter me from loving this book. The ending? CRAZY!!! P.S. Loved all the movie references!!
Paromjit
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
A.J. Finn respins a contemporary version of Rear Window set in Manhattan, New York. This dark psychological thriller has the pill taking, wine drinking, ex-child psychologist, Dr Anna Fox, residing in a three storey home that is the sum total of her world. Anna, you see, is an agoraphobic, and cannot step outside her home, she has lived like this for 10 months after a mystery trauma blew apart her world. She lost her marriage, her family and her career, although she does spend considerable time ...more
Diane S ☔
Dec 09, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 Anna Fox, now living alone in her three story brownstone, well alone that is except for Daniel, her basement tenant. Her husband and daughter, are elsewhere, though she talks to them daily. A trauma in her near past, has left her an agrophobic, subsisting on items from the internet that can be delivered. Her main activities were watching Black and White movies from old, and peering into the lives of her neighbors. It is while peering through one of these windows, that she believes she is wit ...more
Larry H
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm between 3.5 and 4 stars.

Paranoia, the destroyer
Self-destroyer, wreck your health
Destroy friends, destroy yourself
The time device of self-destruction
Light the fuse and start eruption

The Kinks, Destroyer

Reading A.J. Finn's new, much-hyped thriller, The Woman in the Window , I had lots of paranoia-related songs running through my head (including Garbage's I Think I'm Paranoid and the line from Harvey Danger's Flagpole Sitta which goes, "Paranoia, paranoia, everybody's coming to get me...
Linda
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
"I am locked in. I am locked out."

Anna Fox has more intricate layers than a double-decker BLT tilting towards the mayo. Ain't no toothpick strong enough to keep this one from skidding off the plate.

Anna exists behind the shuttered doors and windows of her four-story home in New York City. Dark and dreary are the colors that paint her reclusive world both on the exterior and on the interior. Anna suffers from agoraphobia that keeps her locked in as a prisoner of her own home and of her own mind.
Dennis
It isn't paranoia if it's really happening...

The Woman in the Window is intoxicating, dark, and simply unputdownable. AJ Finn's debut novel is placed in current day, gentrified Harlem, New York City, where Dr. Anna Fox spends her day in her five-story townhouse drinking Merlot, spying on her neighbors, and mixing pills to numb her thoughts. She has theories and pseudo-storylines for her neighbors, each one being unique and different in their own way. When she is not photographing and spying o
Lindsay - Traveling Sister

This was a highly suspenseful, anxiety-filled, page-turning wild ride! The main character, Anna Fox, suffers from agoraphobia (hers is a fear of being outside). She can’t leave her home and finds herself obsessed with the “hobby” of keeping tabs on her neighbours by watching them through the many windows in her large house.

I liked Anna, but found that after the halfway mark, her paranoia and constant coping mechanisms started to get slightly annoying. The author, A. J. Finn, did a fanta
Holly  B
Who's that woman in the window?

Dr. Anna Fox has spent the past 10 months inside her NY home. Her home is her safe place and she is too afraid to venture outside her door.

She entertains herself daily with the following activities:
-downing bottles of Merlot and popping pills prescribed by her physician
-following the lives of her neighbors through the lens of her camera
-playing online chess
-watching black and white films from her large collection of DVDs/mostly Hitchcock with some themes that may
Kendall
In a nut shell... I wasn't that impressed with this debut.

Dr. Anna Fox lives in her townhome in New York struggling with agoraphobia. She has taken on some unique activities to help pass the time.... drowning herself with Merlot with a mix of pills, watching her neighbors, playing chess, and an obsession with her black and white movies. In between Anna's struggles with her agoraphobia she talks to her daughter and ex-husband frequently.

One day Anna is looking through her window and sees somethi
Carol (Bookaria)
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is a psychological thriller starring agoraphobic Dr. Anna Fox.

Anna is a house-bound psychologist that spends her days drinking wine, popping benzos, watching films, and spying on her neighbors with the powerful zoom of her camera.

One day, Anna is doing her usual snooping when she sees a crime being committed and her life is then turned upside down. This is the setup for this thriller and is all I'm saying about this novel, you must read it to find out what happens.

I enjoyed the nove
Theresa Alan
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Anna Fox used to have a successful life as a mother, wife, and child psychologist, but something happened several months earlier that has given her agoraphobia. She can have her prescription medications and endless bottles of wine delivered, so she never has to leave her house. If she does want human contact, she calls her estranged husband and the daughter that lives with him. Her physical therapist and doctor come to her. There is also the online community of other people battling agorapho ...more
Liz
Mar 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
This review is a hard one for me. I struggled with the first half of the book, only to be totally drawn in by the end.

The book starts offs slowly, setting the stage. Anna Fox is a child psychotherapist who suffers from agoraphobia. As she’s trapped in her house, there’s not a lot of action to begin with. But that kind of works. But a little of that goes along way and I kept waiting for something to happen to turn up the pace.

I definitely didn’t relate to Anna, but I also had a hard time findin
Susanne Strong
3.25 Stars* (rounded down).

Anna Fox is home bound. She hasn’t left her home in almost a year. She has groceries delivered and keeps all the windows closed. She watches old black and white movies, takes anti-depressants and mixes them with alcohol, lots of alcohol - which her doctor has strongly advised against. Besides watching old movies, her only other source of entertainment is watching what goes on outside of her windows. Sneaking peaks of her neighbors activities. One day, what Anna sees ou
Roman Clodia
** Possible mild spoilers **

Yet another super-hyped 'psychological thriller' which seems to think readers are innocents new to the genre... it's starting to feel like each new author just selects from a pack of established set pieces and gives them a bit of a shake hoping for something original.

Here we have the traumatised, agoraphobic woman on a self-destructive binge of booze and pills keeping watch over her new neighbours and spotting a murder which the police claim never happened. Alongside
Brenda - Traveling Sister
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Traveling Sisters Read by Brenda and Norma with Holly, Kaceey, Susanne, Lindsay, Jan, Kendall, and Diane

We read The Woman In The Window with seven of our Traveling Sisters and we were split again into two different coulees. Some of us really enjoyed this one and were in the deep-rooted end of the rapturous murky coulee and the rest of the sisters lost in the craters of the dry coulee looking for water and a way out.

THE WOMAN IN THE WINDOW by A. J. FINN is a fascinating, fast-paced and twisty ps
bran (brandonthebookaddict)
BRUH....HOW....WUT......IT IS LITERALLY ONLY A MONTH INTO THE NEW YEAR.

All upcoming psychological thrillers will now be held at a higher standard.

Gone Girl??? What's that??? Who is she cuz I don't know her.

RIP.

5 FUCKING STARS
Twitter | Bookstagram | Youtube |
JanB
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved it! This book has restored my faith in psychological thrillers and was a solid 5 star reading experience. It’s well-written, perfectly plotted, and riveting. I had trouble putting it down and became annoyed when life interrupted my reading – it didn't feel like >400 pages and I could have happily read it cover to cover in one sitting.

Anna is a 38 year-old child psychologist with agoraphobia, who hasn’t left her home for over a year. Her husband left her some time ago, and took their
Malia
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-suspense
This book got so much hype, I was wary to read it, but then I got started and couldn't put it down. The story reminded me a little of The Girl on the Train (which I thought was ok, but nothing that exciting), however, it is better written and the ending definitely more complex. I guessed a part of the mystery's solution early on, but without confirmation of my suspicions, I was nonetheless gripped until the end. Anna is a compelling character, and I could help but root for her. It's been a while ...more
Skyler Autumn
Jan 01, 2018 rated it liked it
3 Stars

Dr Anna Fox suffers from an extreme case of agoraphobia, all stemming from a tragic accident that has left our protagonist Anna housebound for the past 10 months. Unable to brave the outside world Anna has developed hobbies ranging from drinking her Merlot, to watching classic films, to popping her medication like Tic Tacs, to more drinking, and to her absolute favourite activity watching her neighbours through the window.

Anna has a neat little set up at her desk she can see her neig
حسام عادل
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to حسام by: Nahed.E
Shelves: الروائع
ليس أقسى من الوهم الذي قد نبيعه للناس، إلا الوهم الذي نبيعه بأنفسنا لأنفسنا؛ فنصدقه ونعيش عليه..!
لكن صدقني، ليس هناك لحظة في الدنيا تعدل لحظة تحررك من هذا الوهم إلى الأبد
كرواية جريمة مشوقة فمن المحتمل أن تعجبك، لكن لو قاسيتَ معاناة البطلة مثلما فعلتُ فالأكيد أنها ستغير فيك كل شىء
بعد شهور، ربما سنوات، سأنظر إلى المسار الجديد الذي اتخذه قلبي وعقلي، سأنظر إلى حياتي كيف كانت وإلام صارت
وسأعرف أن تاريخها الحقيقي بدأ يوم أنهيتُ فيه هذه الرواية، وودَّعتُ تلك المرأة في النافذة
كل الشكر للصديقة العزيزة ناه
Norma * Traveling Sister

I really enjoyed the premise of this book and found the agoraphobia aspect of this novel quite fascinating. Even though this book was a little lengthy it read really fast for me because of the short chapters and I was really intrigued by the woman in the window. I did end up in the craters of the dry coulee though as there were a few aspects of this novel that I found didn't quite make sense t
Linda Howard Book...: * July '18 Non-LH BOTM - The Woman In The Window 5 11 22 hours, 29 min ago
*Best Sellers* Bo...: July - The Woman in the Window by AJ Finn 23 12 Jul 16, 2018 08:39AM
Dream Cast 14 128 Jun 26, 2018 06:48PM
A.J. Finn, pseudonym for Daniel Mallory, has written for numerous publications, including the Los Angeles Times, the Washington Post, and the Times Literary Supplement (UK). A native of New York, Finn lived in England for ten years as a book editor before returning to New York City.

More about A.J. Finn

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Lord Peter Views the Body (Lord Peter Wimsey, #4)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
  • The Marriage Pact
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Death in the Devil's Acre (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #7)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The 19th Wife
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Mission Flats
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Pigeon English
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Persons Unknown (DS Manon, #2)
  • The Given Day
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Cold Vengeance (Pendergast, #11)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • The Stockholm Octavo
  • Fractured
  • The Winter Over
  • American by Day
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shifting Tide (William Monk, #14)
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Birdman
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)
    $10.99 $1.99
“My head was once a filing cabinet. Now it’s a flurry of papers, floating on a draft.” 23 likes
“I have a feeling that inside you somewhere, there’s something nobody knows about. —Shadow of a Doubt (1943)” 16 likes