Start by marking “A Dash of Trouble (Love Sugar Magic, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Dash of Trouble (Love Sugar Magic, #1)

A Dash of Trouble

(Love Sugar Magic #1)

Leonora Logroño’s family owns the most beloved bakery in Rose Hill, Texas, spending their days conjuring delicious cookies and cakes for any occasion. And no occasion is more important than the annual Dia de los Muertos festival.

Leo hopes that this might be the year that she gets to help prepare for the big celebration—but, once again, she is told she’s too young. Sneaking
Published January 2nd 2018 by Walden Pond Press

To ask other readers questions about A Dash of Trouble, please sign up.
Amy-Jo Conant Perfect for grades 4 and 5. One of the characters has a small crush on a boy which results in some interesting magical spells. It's all very innocent.…morePerfect for grades 4 and 5. One of the characters has a small crush on a boy which results in some interesting magical spells. It's all very innocent. All in all a very clean book. My review mentions that it mentions seances to summon spirits for Dia de Muertos. It's all very benign though. They summon their Abuela to help with some magic gone wrong. (less)

Fafa's Book Corner
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: january-jam-jar
Review posted on Fafa's Book Corner!

Beware spoilers ahead!

Trigger warning: Death mentioned, mention of cancer, bullying, physical violence, and abuse of magic powers.

A Dash of Trouble was read for the theme January Jam Jar. For a book group called Devour Your TBR on GR.

Leo's family runs a bakery. As she is too young Leo isn't allowed to partake in the bakery activities. Leo soon realizes that there might in fact be another reason to it. With the help of her best friend Caroline, Leo discovers
Zoraida
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVE LOVE LOVE. A smart, clever debut. Perfect for fans of Wizards of Waverly Place and The Book of Life.
Marianne (Boricuan Bookworms)
Loved loved loved.

A family of brujas who channel their magic through baking, and the youngest member of the family learning how to deal with her newfound powers. So many hilarious moments, and a big focus on family and friendship.

Some of the funny moments reminded me of one of my favorite tv shows when I was growing up: Sabrina the Teenage Witch.

It comes out in 2018, and I can't wait to reread it when it does!
Donalyn
An adorable and exciting debut. I can’t wait to get this one into the hands of kids.
Kaye
Apr 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
Wonderful, warm and utterly brimming over with magic! This is a middle grade that is best served with your favorite sweet treat and a mug of hot chocolate, on a day when you can really sink into your sofa cushions and savor it.
Jessica Woodbury
This was a winner for everyone. The kids have taken an interest in baking (we watch Great British Baking Show together) and this book about a family of baking brujas was a great way to scratch that itch. It wasn't uncommon for them to ask to bake something from the book after we read about it. And there are recipes in the back if you want to! The kids in particular want the flying-pig cookies from the cover.

This book has such a great sense of family and even though Leo is the youngest in her fam
Janani
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved this middle grade novel about Leo, a young Bruja who is navigating her newfound powers and family secrets. The dynamics of her large, loving, and hilarious family were an absolute delight to read, and I especially adored Leo's relationships with her sisters. I just want to hand this book to kids everywhere.
Roxanne (The Novel Sanctuary)
Loved this so much! It was so sweet and I love the family, the magic, the culture, all of it! Definitely recommend.
Xueting
A cute and fun story about a family of brujas (witches)! The youngest daughter discovers the family secret and sneaks around trying to cast a few spells, with some unexpected but amusing results.
Mojan
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was all sweetness! :)
Paula Stokes
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was so lucky to read an early draft of this and THIS BOOK IS ADORABLE! It's funny and heartfelt and interesting and diverse and it taught me cool stuff without seeming like it was trying too hard.

I almost never read MG, but I cannot wait to add this book to my collection. All the congrats for Anna, who wrote a book that I wanted to hug, but could not, because I read it on the screen. Soon, little pretty. SOON YOU WILL BE MINE! :D

4.99 stars*

* Minus .01 star because this book is full of COOKIES
Arlene
This was a very cute book. A young girl of 11 finds out that her mother and sisters can do magic and that she too holds the power to do magic through cooking (think Like Water for Chocolate) but she is told that she must wait till she is 15 years old. But after her best friend has a very awkward encounter with a boy she likes, Leo, takes it upon herself to try and flex her newly acquired magical skills and tries to help her friend out but of course, hijinks happen. I thought this was very cute, ...more
Ashley Elliott
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love a good middle grade and this one was a delight. Leo and her family are brujas who own a bakery and bake magic into sweets. She’s eleven and wants to do all that her sisters do, there’s a good bit of snooping and sneaking around and accidental spells. All of it was fun and sweet and I love that there are recipes in the back. It gave me Coco vibes with the family element and both are set with Mexican main characters. It’s adorable.
Morgan (The Bookish Beagle)
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
I loved absolutely every bit. Review to come.
Jinckee
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4,5 stars!
Sylwia (Wish Fulfillment)
Why You Might Bump This Up On Your TBR:
The Mexican representation seemed well done to me (but I'm not Mexican). I liked how the author used Spanish words without translating them. I appreciated the hardcore girl power in terms of sisterhood and female friendship. The magic system and the characters/family dynamics were the best part for me, since they were layered and I wanted even more information about them. I also appreciated how the author was able to write healthy parents while still includ
andrea caro
Love, love, LOVED this.

I first read this because brujeria has always interested me and as a big fan of Sarah Addison Allen's Waverly series, I loved the idea of magic + food.

But this series is about so much more than that.

It's about growing up and family and love. I am obsessed with this series. It's strange, whenever I love something this much, it's so hard to talk about it because I feel like it should be read and experienced for the first time without a lot of preamble.

But this book, this SER
Kamilla Benko
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I fell in love from the very first page! If you're at all a fan of magical secrets, sisters, friends, and flying cookies, you're in for a treat. Anna Meriano's debut is full of heart and hilarity (I laughed out loud multiple times) and contains one of the best magical systems I've ever read. Five glorious sugar-filled stars!
Sarena Nanua
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A delicious and fun read about family and friendship! 5*
Hoover Public Library Kids and Teens
When Leo learns the women in her family are brujas . . . and that her family bakery is also a magical bakery . . . well, how can she NOT try to be a bit magical herself?!
Elke
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was super adorable! A sweet, heartfelt middle-grade story that made me want to eat so many cookies! I loved reading about this family of Brujas and their magical baking. It was so nice to have a book with a large, happy, funny, strange, loving family and I adored Leo's relationship with her sisters. There was a large focus on family dynamics and friendship, and it was just so whole and pure.
The part where Leo's mom said being a Bruja isn't defined on its own, like being Texan or a girl, but
Emily
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was very cute and very sweet, but ultimately the narrative voice was just too young for me. I don't mind middle grade that skews older, but I'm finding that middle grade that skews younger just doesn't work for me.

THAT SAID this is 1000000% a book that I would recommend to younger readers. I didn't love it, but it's not FOR me! I think younger readers would really enjoy this, and the content is generally delightful. The family dynamics, the emphasis on friendship, and oh my goodness the coo
Garren
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of those perfect middle grade books about family and friends...and baking magic! It's about family legacy and honoring the dead. It's about Latina American identity and friendship. The cover illustration and the baking objects drawn at the start of every chapter are so wonderful.

There's even a short English recipe list at the end to go with the magical Spanish recipes in the story. I'm thinking about baking something from it then booktalking the story next time I lead the after-school progra
Akoss
Leo's antics will horrify you and make you laugh with delight at the same time. Her determination to prove herself worthy of her family members' trust is something a lot of kids and adults can relate to.
I absolutely love her relationships with each of her sisters. In fact all the characters in the book are so rounded I find myself wondering about their story, their joys, fears and hopes.
When I got to the end of this book I was so full of joy and satisfied it took me almost two weeks to get fully
Stacie (Shy Book Nerd)
This book was adorable! My daughter and I really enjoyed it, and I LOVED that it represented our culture. It reminded me so much of how I grew up and how I interact with my sisters. Plus I loved the bit of magic that was thrown into the story. I highly recommend for anyone to read this about Mexican culture, family values, and some fun magic. It’s a really adorable story.
Heather
I really need to stop reading books that make me hungry...
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
Such a cute book!
Yamile Méndez
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: september18
what an utterly delightful book! beautiful family and friendship dynamics. A book where I'd love to live in. I absolutely loved it and can't wait for the next one!
theresa 🌸🥑
my first buddy read!
this was as cute as i hoped it would be.💕now i crave cookies though *runs to the bakery* 😅
Amanda Rawson Hill
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a fun book with a big, happy family. i loved it so much. kids will really enjoy this one!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The First Rule of Punk
  • EngiNerds
  • Breakout
  • Stef Soto, Taco Queen
  • Two Dogs in a Trench Coat Go to School (Two Dogs in a Trench Coat, #1)
  • After Zero
  • The Serpent's Secret (Kiranmala and the Kingdom Beyond, #1)
  • Checked
  • The House That Lou Built

Love Sugar Magic (3 books)
  • A Sprinkle of Spirits (Love Sugar Magic, #2)
  • A Mixture of Mischief (Love Sugar Magic #3)