Start by marking “A Dash of Trouble (Love Sugar Magic, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Dash of Trouble (Love Sugar Magic, #1)

A Dash of Trouble

(Love Sugar Magic #1)

Leonora Logroño’s family owns the most beloved bakery in Rose Hill, Texas, spending their days conjuring delicious cookies and cakes for any occasion. And no occasion is more important than the annual Dia de los Muertos festival.

Leo hopes that this might be the year that she gets to help prepare for the big celebration—but, once again, she is told she’s too young. Sneaking
Published January 2nd 2018 by Walden Pond Press

To ask other readers questions about A Dash of Trouble, please sign up.
Shira I'd recommend it for ages 8-12. The main character is 11.…moreI'd recommend it for ages 8-12. The main character is 11.(less)
Brittany N Wilson The magic in this book uses “recipes” as they are paired with baking. Part of the process involves the regular items that would be required in baking …moreThe magic in this book uses “recipes” as they are paired with baking. Part of the process involves the regular items that would be required in baking and then there is usually extra elements to add (one time was cobwebs or something). The magic then gives the baked item a magical property that, when consumed, enacts the magic. (Such as extra luck, making someone like you..). The sisters also have extra abilities like being able to affect someone mood and communicating with the spirits around them.(less)

Start your review of A Dash of Trouble (Love Sugar Magic, #1)
Fafa's Book Corner
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review posted on Fafa's Book Corner!

Beware spoilers ahead!

Trigger warning: Death mentioned, mention of cancer, bullying, physical violence, and abuse of magic powers.

A Dash of Trouble was read for the theme January Jam Jar. For a book group called Devour Your TBR on GR.

Leo's family runs a bakery. As she is too young Leo isn't allowed to partake in the bakery activities. Leo soon realizes that there might in fact be another reason to it. With the help of her best friend Caroline, Leo discovers
Zoraida
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVE LOVE LOVE. A smart, clever debut. Perfect for fans of Wizards of Waverly Place and The Book of Life.
Marianne (Boricuan Bookworms)
Loved loved loved.

A family of brujas who channel their magic through baking, and the youngest member of the family learning how to deal with her newfound powers. So many hilarious moments, and a big focus on family and friendship.

Some of the funny moments reminded me of one of my favorite tv shows when I was growing up: Sabrina the Teenage Witch.

It comes out in 2018, and I can't wait to reread it when it does!
Donalyn
An adorable and exciting debut. I can’t wait to get this one into the hands of kids.
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
Such a delightful book! A Dash of Trouble is filled with magic, the sweetness of family and growing up, and filled with cute surprises. I adored this!

- Follows Leo, a young Mexican girl who discovers that her family are brujas! With her newfound powers, Leo tries her hand and magic at fixing things - only to create chaos that spirals out of control.
- This is just such a feel-good and sweet story. The story is filled with so many funny and earnest moments - and I absolutely adored Leo. She's tryi
Bethany
Jul 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Actual Ratin: 4.5 stars

I read this for a middle grade fantasy vlog! https://youtu.be/0Daa8kHwbFw

This was so fun and charming! The youngest in a family of sisters feels left out because there's a big secret everyone is keeping from her: they are baking witches or brujas! Leo snoops around and ends up getting into some very sticky situations messing with magic she doesn't know how to use. It's a book about family, friendship, and finding your inner strength. This will appeal to anyone who knows wh
Kaye
Apr 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
Wonderful, warm and utterly brimming over with magic! This is a middle grade that is best served with your favorite sweet treat and a mug of hot chocolate, on a day when you can really sink into your sofa cushions and savor it.
Xueting
A cute and fun story about a family of brujas (witches)! The youngest daughter discovers the family secret and sneaks around trying to cast a few spells, with some unexpected but amusing results.
Enne
5 stars

Can I just say that I absolutely have to start picking more middle grade up because this book is absolutely amazing and also the most adorable thing that I've read in a long time, so clearly, middle grade is getting something right that's totally missing in YA.

I thought everything about this book was absolutely perfect. There is not a single thing that I would change about it. I adored the family dynamics that were present in the story. I love any and all family dynamics in general but t
Keisha | A Book Like You
This was a sweet story that explores Mexican culture, magic, friendship, and the naivety of a child who just wants to be considered as mature as her older siblings. I think younger middle grade kiddos would really enjoy this one!
Janani
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved this middle grade novel about Leo, a young Bruja who is navigating her newfound powers and family secrets. The dynamics of her large, loving, and hilarious family were an absolute delight to read, and I especially adored Leo's relationships with her sisters. I just want to hand this book to kids everywhere. ...more
Jenna (Falling Letters)
Review originally published 28 July 2019 at Falling Letters.

The Love Sugar Magic books exemplify some of my favourite elements of middle grade fiction: the fun combination of magic and baking, strong family relationships (with well-defined personalities for all seven family members!), a protagonist who demonstrates empathy and care for her best friend, and the incorporation of the protagonist’s family heritage and culture (Mexican in this case).
That ‘one little spell’ mentioned in A Dash of Trou
Anubha (BooksFullOfLife, LifeFullOfBooks)
Cute, crafty witchy tale. I feel if I was Leo I would want to explore magic too instead of waiting to grow up lol.
Jessica Woodbury
This was a winner for everyone. The kids have taken an interest in baking (we watch Great British Baking Show together) and this book about a family of baking brujas was a great way to scratch that itch. It wasn't uncommon for them to ask to bake something from the book after we read about it. And there are recipes in the back if you want to! The kids in particular want the flying-pig cookies from the cover.

This book has such a great sense of family and even though Leo is the youngest in her fam
Cindy
Every now and then a book comes along that is just so purely delightful that you can't help but grin while you read it. Anna Meriano's debut novel, A DASH OF TROUBLE, is 100% one of those books. Leo and her large, loving, wonderful family are characters that I already miss, and who I can't wait to meet again in the next book in the series. At times funny (I laughed out loud a TON as I read), at times heartstring-tugging, and at times tender, the voice and the plot in this book perfectly capture ...more
Roxanne (The Novel Sanctuary)
Loved this so much! It was so sweet and I love the family, the magic, the culture, all of it! Definitely recommend.
Jinckee
4,5 stars!
Malec_Andreil_
08/03/2021
1st read:

★★★★★

It's not even funny I cried sO much because I felt so comforted.

"She had always thought that she had problems making friends because it was such a difficult thing to do; she had never considered that there might be friends to be had if she had just looked a little harder."

I love the concept of magical baking. There is a variety of books with that trope, and the execution of this one is simply amazing!

It feels like you can smell the pastries through the pages. I love that
Sirens

So often, fantasy books—even feminist fantasy books—are about women claiming men’s power. Seizing a throne held by a man, perhaps. Cutting down a sword wielded by a man, often. Sorcery taught by a man, sometimes. Dominance stolen from a man during sex, occasionally. As if power comes only in masculine forms. As if in order to gain power, we must rob men of theirs: take their leadership, their weapons, their knowledge, their seed. As if the only path to power is the one they chose, they covet, th
Jessica
Sep 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the sweetest book to start off with! It also confirms that I really wish my family had a bakery so I could work in it.
Def a book I plan to pass along to my 10 year old cousin, I think she’ll really enjoy this.

**First book finished for Latinx Heritage Month
Mojan
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was all sweetness! :)
Dayla
May 25, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was so adorable! I've been meaning to check it out for a while, so when I saw that the library had the audiobook, I immediately borrowed it.

I loved reading about brujeria from the perspective of a younger character and also in a more whimsical storyline. I'm really intrigued by the siblings concept and kind of want to follow this series until the MC is 15 so we can finally learn what her specialty is!

There's a scene at the end between the MC and her mom that was the cutest thing ever
Paula Stokes
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was so lucky to read an early draft of this and THIS BOOK IS ADORABLE! It's funny and heartfelt and interesting and diverse and it taught me cool stuff without seeming like it was trying too hard.

I almost never read MG, but I cannot wait to add this book to my collection. All the congrats for Anna, who wrote a book that I wanted to hug, but could not, because I read it on the screen. Soon, little pretty. SOON YOU WILL BE MINE! :D

4.99 stars*

* Minus .01 star because this book is full of COOKIES
andrea caro
Love, love, LOVED this.

I first read this because brujeria has always interested me and as a big fan of Sarah Addison Allen's Waverly series, I loved the idea of magic + food.

But this series is about so much more than that.

It's about growing up and family and love. I am obsessed with this series. It's strange, whenever I love something this much, it's so hard to talk about it because I feel like it should be read and experienced for the first time without a lot of preamble.

But this book, this SER
Emily
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was very cute and very sweet, but ultimately the narrative voice was just too young for me. I don't mind middle grade that skews older, but I'm finding that middle grade that skews younger just doesn't work for me.

THAT SAID this is 1000000% a book that I would recommend to younger readers. I didn't love it, but it's not FOR me! I think younger readers would really enjoy this, and the content is generally delightful. The family dynamics, the emphasis on friendship, and oh my goodness the coo
Sofia (Bookish Wanderess)
*3.5 stars*

-This was cute
- I really liked the relationship between the sisters
-the idea of mixing magic and baking is really interesting and it's well executed.
- This to me read a lot younger than most of the middle grade I have read, which is not bad but I thought it was something that I should point out.
Caro
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
yes, i would indeed like to be the 6th child in the logroño family. pls and thank u.
Arlene
This was a very cute book. A young girl of 11 finds out that her mother and sisters can do magic and that she too holds the power to do magic through cooking (think Like Water for Chocolate) but she is told that she must wait till she is 15 years old. But after her best friend has a very awkward encounter with a boy she likes, Leo, takes it upon herself to try and flex her newly acquired magical skills and tries to help her friend out but of course, hijinks happen. I thought this was very cute, ...more
Onka
May 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english, own, mg, ebooks
This was the cutest and sweetest (literally) book I've read in a long time! Now, the only thing I need is more cookies! ...more
Latinx Book Club: March 2020- A Dash Of Trouble 11 38 Mar 30, 2020 08:00PM
Sirens Conference: A Dash of Trouble 1 13 Jan 18, 2019 02:25PM

• Power Forward
  • Chester Nez and the Unbreakable Code: A Navajo Code Talker's Story
  • Hope in the Holler
  • Stef Soto, Taco Queen
  • The Van Gogh Deception
  • A Whole New Ballgame (Rip and Red, #1)
  • The Ambrose Deception
  • Max and the Midknights
  • Strongheart: Wonder Dog of the Silver Screen
  • Animals by the Numbers: A Book of Infographics
  • From the Desk of Zoe Washington
  • Curiosity: The Story of a Mars Rover
  • Finding Langston
  • Ghost Squad
  • Der fabelhafte Geschenkeladen (Valerie Lane, #5)
  • Measuring Up
  • The Jumbies (The Jumbies #1)
  • Sergeant Reckless: The True Story of the Little Horse Who Became a Hero
See top shelves…

Love Sugar Magic (3 books)
  • A Sprinkle of Spirits (Love Sugar Magic, #2)
  • A Mixture of Mischief (Love Sugar Magic, #3)