Start by marking “Love and Other Train Wrecks” as Want to Read:
Love and Other Train Wrecks

Love and Other Train Wrecks

A twenty-four-hour romance about two teens who meet—and perhaps change their minds about love—on a train ride to Upstate New York in the middle of a snowstorm

One train ride. Two strangers.

Noah is a hopeless romantic. He’s heading back home for one last chance with his first love, whom he broke up with when he went off to college.

Ammy doesn’t believe in true love—her parent
Published January 2nd 2018 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about Love and Other Train Wrecks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love and Other Train Wrecks

jessica
this was an impulsive pick up at the library because it sounded very cute, but unfortunately i was left with just an ‘okay’ feeling, overall. i think the main reason was i failed to connect with, or even like, ammys character. she really wore on my patience throughout the book. also, this was very insta-lovey and sometimes that works with meet-cutes, but it didnt for me in this particular case. however, it was enough of a decent story that i wanted to finish it, so that definitely says something ...more
Zoe Stewart (yerabooknerdzoe)
This was so cute! I was wavering between a 4.5 and a 5, but the 5 won out! The characters really bothered me at the beginning. They were so. fucking. stupid. but they really grew on me. I got so angry at their thinking sometimes until I realized I've thought the exact same things. The only difference between us is that I was their age 6/7 years ago, and I've had time to realize how shitty that kind of thinking is. They were me when I was a teenager. Once I took a step back and put myself back in ...more
Stephanie
Jan 23, 2018 rated it did not like it
This book felt like...well, a train wreck. In order to write a review that is as concise as possible (I hope), I'm going to divide my observations into three main areas. First up:

Characters
Um...so I thought Ammy was awful pretty much from the time she mocked The Hunger Games right up until the end of the book. Her snobby taste in literature aside, she's one of those feminists who apparently thinks it's okay to make rude comments to men for reinforcing antiquated gender norms by daring to (gasp!)
Stacee
I do enjoy a story with a known and specific time frame to it, so I was pretty eager to get to it.

I liked Noah. He’s sweet and maybe a bit nerdy, but pretty adorable. Ammy is smart and loyal and having a hard time with what’s going on in her life. Because of that, she lashes out. A lot. So much that I struggled to root for her.

Plot wise, it was like a YA Planes, Trains, and Automobiles. I enjoyed all of the little mishaps and obstacles they had to deal with. There is a slight reveal that I was
Jaye Berry
Feb 04, 2018 rated it did not like it
Not even halfway done when I decided to write this review and haven't changed anything since then, if that tells you anything.

Love and Other Train Wrecks begins on a train with Ammy heading to her father's wedding with his new wife. On the train she meets Noah, a boy on his way home to try to win his ex-girlfriend back, with flowers and a romantic plan in hand. A massive snowstorm is happening and soon the train breaks down. With a leap of faith, Ammy and Noah head off the train trying to find o
Chelsea
Jun 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018, 3-stars
Noah is a precious little bun that just needs to be protected at all costs. I'm kind of confused at how I want to rate this because it did make me think it was so stinking cute but it kind of was just an alright kind of story. So I think 3 stars its gonna be which makes me sad but it seems about right.
Samantha (WLABB)
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed Konen's last book, The Romantics, and had high hopes for this book. I am happy to report, that Love and Other Train Wrecks delighted me in many of the same ways.

•Pro: Noah was a sweet cupcake and I loved him. He was not perfect, as I found out, but he had a huge and beautiful, if slightly misguided, heart.

•Pro: I loved the dynamic between Ammy and Noah. Eavesdropping on their conversations was quite a treat, and seeing them go from strangers to enemies to friends to more warmed
Ana
This is was a cute read and I was really invested in the characters and their backstory. But I was a little lukewarm on them together and the ending was too neatly wrapped up. It was still good so I look forward to more from this author.
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
2.75 Stars
"'Here goes,' I say, without turning to her.
I slide the safety latch on the bottom. Then I grab the long handle in the middle. It turns under my weight, easier than it should be. The door opens, and there it is. The whole world in front of us.
Our adventure, beckoning."

This is a good winter season contemporary, but I only really connected with one half of the couple, so the entire story fell a bit flat for me. I love the meeting and sense of serendipitous adventure that Ammy and Noa
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

2.5*

I have some of the mixed feelings about this particular book. Obviously the best way to decipher said feelings is with a good old fashioned list.

Things I Liked:

A train trip! Who doesn't love that idea, it sounds so fun, and kind of a cute, old-fashioned way to meet.

Shenanigans ensue. Obviously, a mundane train ride does not a novel make. So some stuff has to happen that interru
Mary Judson
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Like so many, Love and Other Train Wrecks started out fresh and interesting and cute. Then it turned for the worse into a cheesy, unimaginative waste of reading time. The characters were cliche, stupid, and selfish. And, I think, unrealistic. Instead of cheering on the main characters towards love and each other, I was thinking they’d honestly be better apart. But, hey, another book added toward my reading challenge goal.
Rebecca
Feb 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
The only thing I liked about this book was its cover.
Laurence R.
Mar 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: dying-to-read
This is a really short and sweet novel! I was a bit annoyed by the characters, especially by Ammy, but I still enjoyed the story.
Rachel
May 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not crazy about the characters but the story was fun at least. Ammy was a bit too hot then cold and was too fond of her "not that type of girl" mentality. Noah was better, but still a bit bland. The book is short and yet I skimmed quite a few parts that were repetitive, too internal monologue-y, and long. I can think of other contemporaries I'd recommend before this one.

Full review to come!
Karla Mae (Reads and Thoughts)
*ARC Kindly provided by Katherine Tegen Books thru Edelweiss for review*

I was blindsided. Just when I thought I would get a quick story about two strangers meeting on a long train ride & falling in love, I get a book divided into three interesting parts. Love and other Train Wrecks spans an entirety of a day (or two). On a very short and quick time frame, a lot happened.

The story introduced us to two strangers (Ammy and Noah) who boarded the Amtrak going to the same destination but for diffe
Amy
Reminded me of whichever story in Let It Snow: Three Holiday Romances where the teens are stranded on the train in the snow and then they have to leave the train and trek out into the snow and fall in love, etc. (It's been a while since I read Let It Snow, can you tell?)
Nikki
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss
Full review posted on Nikki's Novel Niche

A cute story that proves that sometimes the journey can start off rocky and rough but the struggle is worth it in the end.

I really liked both Noah and Ammy and felt their characters developed nicely throughout the story. Both start off kind of naive and self-centered but begin to have some realizations as their adventure progresses. There were a few points of the story that I found myself thinking “WTH, why are they doing this, what are they thinking!?!”
Monica
Cover: 4/5 (I picked it up because I liked the cover and the title)

Story: 4/5

I really enjoyed this one. It had a good balance between a romance between two characters who are having the worst of luck and some deeper family drama that I thought was played out realistically. I saw the plot twist coming, but that didn't take away from my enjoyment of the book. (view spoiler)
Forever Young Adult
Bonus Factor: Misadventures In Travel
Factor: Plot Twists
Anti-Bonus Factor: Awful Grownups
Relationship Status: Seatmates

Read the full book report here.
Laura's Book Addiction
"Noah is a total romantic, I realise. I mean, I knew he was sappy-hello,cheesy flowers- but this is a different kind of romance. The desire for the world to be magical all around you."

Love and Other Train Wrecks is the perfect YA novel. It's funny,sweet and a little sad. I wanna meet Noah on the Amtrak and go on a adventure!!
Kourtney
Feb 17, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a random impulse pick at the library. Liked the cover, the name and the idea of a romantic train ride. Saved it for a fun, easy read for Valentine’s Day week and it was just that. A bit much at times, but what YA romance isn’t?!
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
If you're in need of a contemporary to cure your winter blues, pick this book up!

FULL REVIEW https://mundiemoms.blogspot.com/2018/...
Suz
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a cute story! I really enjoyed it. A good YA without being overly dramatic. Characters you want to root for with a present-day love story that warms your heart : )
Anna
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
I did not warm to either Ammy or Noah and did not particularly care if they got together in the end or not (it might have been a better book if they had not). I think I kept reading primarily to see what stupid decision they would make next, and they made a lot of them.
Popsugar challenge 2019: A book that takes place in a single day.
Sara (sarabara081)
Oct 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: january-2018
You can find more of my review at Forever 17 Books.

I adore books with a romance steming from strangers meeting one night through extraordinary circumstances, especially when it comes to delayed traveling and crazy adventures. In Love and Other Train Wrecks we have two strangers who wound up next to each other on a train that breaks down. They decide to take a risk and embark on a crazy adventure to reach their destinations but didn’t plan on the feelings they would develop in the process.

Noah wa
Kristen
Noah is a total romantic, I realize. I mean, I knew he was sappy--hello, cheesy flowers--but this is a different kind of romance. The desire for the world to be magical all around you. Not everyone's like that.

Noah is headed home from college for the winter break, planning on rekindling his relationship with his ex-girlfriend, Rina. He's a hopeless romantic, and he knows in his soul that breaking up with her was a complete mistake. With a dinner date planned and flowers in hand, he's hoping that
Dayla
Dec 29, 2017 rated it liked it
I received an advanced reader copy via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

This was an adorable read that spans the entirety of a day and then some. I loved how cheesy some of the lines were and the whole concept was something I ate up like candy.

One of my only complaints revolved around Ammy’s constant reminder that Noah was acting too boy-ish in offering to carry her things or in the comments he made. I get what the intention was, but it just came off as a bit snobby. She is a hella ju
chinda
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019-reads
Melannie :)
Love and Other Train Wrecks has a lot of reasons not to work out. Surprisingly it does. I mean we are talking about two teens meeting and falling in love in the course of twenty four hours, some of you may say—oh dear, insta love. Not at all. Yes, it turns out to be a romantic story (after a while) but I wouldn’t even throw the word love—yet.

Noah and Ammy find themselves stuck in an unmoving train during a heavy snow fall. They both have places to go, and fast. And although they didn’t hit it of
Nia •ShadesOfPaper•
For more review follow my blog shades of paper

This was a very light hearted book, and I have to say I really enjoyed it. I was really anticipating this novel, and though it ended up not being what I had in mind, I still think it was a very cute book, and it was really funny.

I really enjoyed the whole romance thing. It was definitely on the fast side, but their relationship was very well done and hilarious that I didn’t particulary mind. I adored the interactions between both main characters, and
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Sing
  • The Possibility of Now
  • Together at Midnight
  • Don't Cosplay with My Heart
  • American Blonde (Velva Jean, #4)
  • Cowboy's Redemption (The Montana Cahills, #4)
  • Ordinary Girls
  • I'm Not in the Band
  • The Last Gambit
  • Winterfolk
  • My New Crush Gave to Me
  • A Door County Christmas: Four Romances Warm Hearts in Wisconsin's Version of Cape Cod
  • The Other Side of Lost
Leah Konen is a graduate of The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, where she studied journalism and creative writing. She’s the author of the forthcoming HAPPY MESSY SCARY LOVE, LOVE AND OTHER TRAIN WRECKS, THE ROMANTICS, THE LAST TIME WE WERE US and THE AFTER GIRLS. She lives in Brooklyn and Saugerties, NY, with her husband and their dog, Farley.
“Books are supposed to remind you that life is hard for everyone. That other people have it even worse than you. I know you know, that because you love reading as much as I do.” 0 likes
“It makes me feel free, like I could get lost in the woods and live my best life or something.” 0 likes