Start by marking “Monster Hunter (Mason Dixon, Monster Hunter #1; The New Templars)” as Want to Read:
Monster Hunter (Mason Dixon, Monster Hunter #1; The New Templars)

Monster Hunter

(Mason Dixon, Monster Hunter #1)

They are the first line of defense against the things that go bump in the night.

They are the keepers of a centuries-old legacy of The Church defending the world against the forces of darkness.

They are a bunch of highly armed rednecks, internet video celebrities, soccer moms, and assorted broken nutjobs.

They are the new Templars, and things are about to get weird.

From th
Published April 21st 2017 by Falstaff Books

To ask other readers questions about Monster Hunter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monster Hunter

Angela
Apr 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was originally given a copy of this book by the author but liked it and decided to buy it. I have read Mr Asher's other books and this one is definitely different. I love the Vesik series that he writes and I think Mason Dixon is one that I will enjoy just as much if the first book is anything to go on.

Mason has a tragedy in his "monster hunting" job and is haunted by it still many years later. He gets hired by what most people would call "kooky" people that believe in things like Big Foot an
Debbie
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The story begins with an edge of your seat introduction to the world of cryptid hunting, as Mason Dixon (yes, that is his name!) goes in search of footage for his YouTube show Cryptid Hunter. When Mason and his friend and cameraman Dylan look for Momo, the Missouri Monster, it turns out to be the one time that Mason wishes the sighting was just a hoax. (I have to admit that I had to look up the word cryptid to see if the author made it up, but it is a term used for all of those creatures that ma ...more
Christopher Peiffer
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another great addition to the urban fantasy genre by Eric R. Asher. Mason Dixon really pulls you into his world of fantastic creatures and wild rides. It is not (yet) as magic heavy as the Vesik Series but brings things in perspective from a normal human viewpoint which in some ways makes Mason more of a hero by going after these creatures without magic as a fall back. My only complaint was the book was not long enough as I am wanting more of this series already. If you are not familiar with Eri ...more
Susan
Apr 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. This can be read as a standalone but has a soft cliffhanger to lead into the next Episode. There is some graphic violence and gore so don't read if you are sensitive to that. The storyline's main characters are filming cryptid (monster) hunting in Missouri for a YouTube show. But not everything or everyone is as they appear. Will I continue to read future books in the series? Of course I will. I want to see what other cryptids Mason and Emma find next.
Lisa
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Great book! Highly recommended!
Amy Bellino
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Eric Asher Thrills Us Again!

The MASON DIXON – MONSTER HUNTER series has started off with a Bang!
You’ll find yourself joining the adventure from page one. It’s thrilling, funny, as well as suspenseful. The characters are well developed and entertaining. The name of the scaly soccer balls (both their original and final monikers) had me laughing each time I read them and was my favorite little brain twist of the story. Five Stars! I look forward to the next installment of the series!
I voluntarily r
Wendy Schindler
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Spectacular new characters in a fun new novella series by the author of The Vesik Series and The Steamborn Trilogy!
This is a new twist on cryptozoology, with brave characters, lots of humor and sarcasm, and, you guessed it, "Monsters"...
Oh, and lookout for the "Shine".... hehehe
My only disappointment is the length of the story.. Can't wait for the next Mason Dixon installment!!
Kat
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Eric Asher is amazing! From the first sentence, I couldn't put the book down! Great characters, great story! Can't wait for the next installment!
Angela
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
When I saw this had cryptids in it I was sold (a big fav of mine). When I saw it was written by Vesik's creator I was intrigued. When I read it I was laughing and loving every minute of it. This novella moves fast and is full of action and humor. Not only are the lead characters interesting, but the secondary characters are great too. Mason is a one of those "guy who knows a guy" types and this means we will surely get to meet more kooky (but oddly loveable) characters as well as outlandish crea ...more
Erin Penn
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mason Dixon is the perfect addition to the Bubba world.

Don't get me wrong, I love me some Bubba the Monster Hunter by John Hartness. But I'm more of a subtle humor kind-of gal instead of Bubba's overt funny, and Eric Asher's take on the Bubba sandbox with a crypo-hunter creating a faux youtube show about real hunts he goes on is LOL funny to me.

The new Monster Hunter series by Falstaff is still comedic, and monsters, and rural-sassiness. But subtler, smoother. Like finely aged apple shine. One l
Tim Shepard
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesome!

I have to admit I have read several of Eric Asher's books and this is the best by far. He has packed in mythical creatures, religious fanatics, a secret organization, a strange hermit in the woods, and two well thought out characters to created one great book. Looking forward to reading the next one in the series. Keep up thee goods writing!
Jennifer Bacon
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I want to know more about this world and the creatures in it.

I only have one negative comment - I felt like I was jumping in the middle of a series. I want more background. More set up. That is just my preference.

I have the second Mason Dixon novella at home, and I am looking forward to enjoying it as well!
Donna
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This first book in the New Templars series is full of comedy, cryptids and madness - so much fun! And as a novella it's the perfect length to read quickly... And then read the rest of the books in the series!! I highly recommend this book (and series!) if you like silliness and daft creatures, or are just looking for something different to read. I loved it, and am off to read book two!
Debbie
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
It wasn't exactly what I was expecting, but still good. There is necessity for the characters to become real enough to draw you back in. I think it's there, but as it was only a novella, I'd need to try another in the series to give a final verdict.
Scott Sammons
Sep 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Juvenile. Good enough for the 5th grade reader.

I was hoping for more. Properly identified youth fiction is often a pleasurable read for me, and I follow several children's writers. When I have higher expectations the let down may unduly color my judgment.
Ginelle Blanch
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting start to a series. Action right away. A lot of humor. Creatures I've heard if and ones that I haven't. Really liked the characters and storyline. Looking forward to what book 2 brings.
Catherine Mullins
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cool plot and characters

I just finished the book. Short but action packed. The characters both human and otherwise were great. Can't wait for more.
Cally Walker
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another winner

From Eric Asher. You wouldn't expect light and funny from Vesiks' maker, but you would be wrong. Just as good but different Enjoy!
Tracy Trippler
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really liked this book

Really good book. I started with another series of Eric's and like this series as well! Good story, can't wait to get more
Bethany
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm already a huge fan of Eric's books. This new series - I'm also a fan. I found there to be an interesting mix of the character's public face and what's really going on behind the scenes. I think my absolute favorite aspect of this book is that the characters are introduced already developed. And I found myself very interested in the hints dropped through the book that all is not as it seems. And not to give anything away, but Sonny was unexpected and I laughed out loud on the train during my ...more
Chris Beebie
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Don't let the "punny" name fool you, it is briefly explained in the story (and, if my guess is right, part of a much bigger tale we will find out sometime later) this is a great novella. I am not familiar with the "Bubba the monster Hunter" universe, but after reading Asher's contribution to it, I definitely need to check it out.

Asher once again provides instantly relate-able and imperfect characters for you to connect with while setting the stage for the bigger acts to come.

Just in the interest
Heather
Jan 02, 2018
Bea
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Eric R. Asher must live on adrenaline and caffeine because there is NO WAY a "normal" person could have this vivid an imagination and still be able to sleep at night! This book is FUN! Mason and his camera person Emma, get into some of the most insane situations while out hunting monsters, yet they still manage to escape and usually have a good laugh at some point in their escapade. The book is well written from a grammar Nazi point, the characters are believable but still a bit out there and th ...more
Eric is a former bookseller, cellist, and comic seller currently living in Saint Louis, Missouri. A lifelong enthusiast of books, music, toys, and games, he discovered a love for the written word after being dragged to the library by his parents at a young age. When he is not writing, you can usually find him reading, gaming, or buried beneath a small avalanche of Transformers.

Mason Dixon, Monster Hunter (2 books)
  • The Wampus of Reeds Spring (Mason Dixon, Monster Hunter #2 & The New Templars)