Start by marking “Monster Hunter (Mason Dixon, Monster Hunter #1; The New Templars)” as Want to Read:
Monster Hunter (Mason Dixon, Monster Hunter #1; The New Templars)

Monster Hunter

(Mason Dixon, Monster Hunter #1)

They are the first line of defense against the things that go bump in the night.

They are the keepers of a centuries-old legacy of The Church defending the world against the forces of darkness.

They are a bunch of highly armed rednecks, internet video celebrities, soccer moms, and assorted broken nutjobs.

They are the new Templars, and things are about to get weird.

From th
Published April 21st 2017 by Falstaff Books

To ask other readers questions about Monster Hunter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monster Hunter

Start your review of Monster Hunter (Mason Dixon, Monster Hunter #1; The New Templars)
Cheryl
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Dis was da bomb!

SO much fun to read about a Cryptid Hunter, his video show and some of the creatures he's managed to find. Of course it wouldn't be complete without the government or the church staking their claim as well. Also features a humorous crossover with Bubba The Monster Hunter making an appearance.
Madison Warner Fairbanks
Monster Hunter by Eric Asher

First in the Mason Dixon, Monster Hunter series, The New Templars. Urban fantasy.
Mason is a Cryptid Hunter with a YouTube show. He investigates the unusual.

Lots of fun with different monsters, characters and situations.
I noticed a few similarities between this and the authors Vesik series. Yes, lots of “monsters” (many here are more friendly) but also car, friend packs, and eating. It doesn’t take away from the story but may make you comfortable with the author’s s
Angela
Apr 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was originally given a copy of this book by the author but liked it and decided to buy it. I have read Mr Asher's other books and this one is definitely different. I love the Vesik series that he writes and I think Mason Dixon is one that I will enjoy just as much if the first book is anything to go on.

Mason has a tragedy in his "monster hunting" job and is haunted by it still many years later. He gets hired by what most people would call "kooky" people that believe in things like Big Foot an
Jen (That's What I'm Talking About)
Mason Dixon is the host of a YouTube monster hunting show, and five years ago his buddy Dylan was killed by an unknown creature while filming. Present day, Mason is still at it with friend Emma. However, they are also hired by a priest, Noah, to take care of dangerous cryptids, putting down man-eaters and serious threats to humans. While on their current case, they stumble across two eggs of a nearly extinct species and decide to go against the rules to try and protect them.

Monster Hunter, the f
Debbie
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The story begins with an edge of your seat introduction to the world of cryptid hunting, as Mason Dixon (yes, that is his name!) goes in search of footage for his YouTube show Cryptid Hunter. When Mason and his friend and cameraman Dylan look for Momo, the Missouri Monster, it turns out to be the one time that Mason wishes the sighting was just a hoax. (I have to admit that I had to look up the word cryptid to see if the author made it up, but it is a term used for all of those creatures that ma ...more
Christopher Peiffer
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another great addition to the urban fantasy genre by Eric R. Asher. Mason Dixon really pulls you into his world of fantastic creatures and wild rides. It is not (yet) as magic heavy as the Vesik Series but brings things in perspective from a normal human viewpoint which in some ways makes Mason more of a hero by going after these creatures without magic as a fall back. My only complaint was the book was not long enough as I am wanting more of this series already. If you are not familiar with Eri ...more
Susan
Apr 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. This can be read as a standalone but has a soft cliffhanger to lead into the next Episode. There is some graphic violence and gore so don't read if you are sensitive to that. The storyline's main characters are filming cryptid (monster) hunting in Missouri for a YouTube show. But not everything or everyone is as they appear. Will I continue to read future books in the series? Of course I will. I want to see what other cryptids Mason and Emma find next.
Lisa
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Great book! Highly recommended!
Amy Bellino
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Eric Asher Thrills Us Again!

The MASON DIXON – MONSTER HUNTER series has started off with a Bang!
You’ll find yourself joining the adventure from page one. It’s thrilling, funny, as well as suspenseful. The characters are well developed and entertaining. The name of the scaly soccer balls (both their original and final monikers) had me laughing each time I read them and was my favorite little brain twist of the story. Five Stars! I look forward to the next installment of the series!
I voluntarily r
Wendy Schindler
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Spectacular new characters in a fun new novella series by the author of The Vesik Series and The Steamborn Trilogy!
This is a new twist on cryptozoology, with brave characters, lots of humor and sarcasm, and, you guessed it, "Monsters"...
Oh, and lookout for the "Shine".... hehehe
My only disappointment is the length of the story.. Can't wait for the next Mason Dixon installment!!
Kat
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Eric Asher is amazing! From the first sentence, I couldn't put the book down! Great characters, great story! Can't wait for the next installment!
Jodi
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Eric is a new author to me and wow, this won't be my last read. Mason Dixon had me giggling with the first chapter and throughout the entire book. I loved the humor, the characters, Emma, Himari, and Larry were a hoot!, the word play and gowrows! What is not to love about them. For a short novel, i was totally invested in this story and dived right into book 2.
Dolorianne
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is so fun! I loved the main character and his colorful friends. I loved the concept and how the author pinpointed that line between serious and camp, giving the story a true, "Monster Hunter via YouTube" vibe. There were action/adventure/horror elements but it's not gory horror. There were dynamic platonic relationships throughout the book, but it's not a romance. I loved how fluid the story was. As a novella, I expected the story to be less involved than it actually ended up being. I ...more
Tina
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cmc20
I love this author's writing style. This was a fun book. The team of characters was the perfect package. I loved going on adventures with them and learning about the monsters. And boy did the author throw in a lot of monsters!! I did find that I wanted a little more backstory on how all the "monster hunting" got started - what lead the main character to pursue this particular career. However, I am looking forward to book 2 in this series to see if any of my questions are answered. Monster Hunter ...more
Angela
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
When I saw this had cryptids in it I was sold (a big fav of mine). When I saw it was written by Vesik's creator I was intrigued. When I read it I was laughing and loving every minute of it. This novella moves fast and is full of action and humor. Not only are the lead characters interesting, but the secondary characters are great too. Mason is a one of those "guy who knows a guy" types and this means we will surely get to meet more kooky (but oddly loveable) characters as well as outlandish crea ...more
Erin Penn
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mason Dixon is the perfect addition to the Bubba world.

Don't get me wrong, I love me some Bubba the Monster Hunter by John Hartness. But I'm more of a subtle humor kind-of gal instead of Bubba's overt funny, and Eric Asher's take on the Bubba sandbox with a crypo-hunter creating a faux youtube show about real hunts he goes on is LOL funny to me.

The new Monster Hunter series by Falstaff is still comedic, and monsters, and rural-sassiness. But subtler, smoother. Like finely aged apple shine. One l
c. woods
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another great read

I have yet to be let down by any book I have read by Eric R. Asher. My only disappointment comes from the fact that I read through his books so quickly & they make most other authors books pale in comparison!

Mason Dixon was not what I expected. Honestly, I was expecting a little more Monster Hunters International & a little less redneck (I am a redneck, it is ok if I use it) with a heart. It makes the story even better.

Do yourself a favor & go buy every book Mr. Asher has w
Aurora
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mason and his team "hunt" monsters for their internet program, but these monsters aren't exactly what you were expecting. From baby Cryptids to a Sasquatch and a whole lot more, you'll come away from this story chuckling, wondering at the variety of beasties out there that you never knew about and anxious for Mason's next adventure.
Well written, engaging, adorable and addictive, this is an adventure story fans of the bizarre will love.
Sheila Barbee
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mason Dixon Monster Hunter Book 1

This book was very enjoyable. I liked that the monster hunters hid their true finds through cheesy camera tricks. Are the truly protecting the monsters or is there something else going on? Looks like I'll have to continue to Book 2 to find out what Sonny, the talking, techno savvy Sasquatch has to say about the death of Masons friend Dylan. And to learn why the church is supporting Masons expeditions...
Tim Shepard
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesome!

I have to admit I have read several of Eric Asher's books and this is the best by far. He has packed in mythical creatures, religious fanatics, a secret organization, a strange hermit in the woods, and two well thought out characters to created one great book. Looking forward to reading the next one in the series. Keep up thee goods writing!
Donna
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This first book in the New Templars series is full of comedy, cryptids and madness - so much fun! And as a novella it's the perfect length to read quickly... And then read the rest of the books in the series!! I highly recommend this book (and series!) if you like silliness and daft creatures, or are just looking for something different to read. I loved it, and am off to read book two!
Jennifer Bacon
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I want to know more about this world and the creatures in it.

I only have one negative comment - I felt like I was jumping in the middle of a series. I want more background. More set up. That is just my preference.

I have the second Mason Dixon novella at home, and I am looking forward to enjoying it as well!
Scott Sammons
Sep 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Juvenile. Good enough for the 5th grade reader.

I was hoping for more. Properly identified youth fiction is often a pleasurable read for me, and I follow several children's writers. When I have higher expectations the let down may unduly color my judgment.
Debbie
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
It wasn't exactly what I was expecting, but still good. There is necessity for the characters to become real enough to draw you back in. I think it's there, but as it was only a novella, I'd need to try another in the series to give a final verdict.
Deedra
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Audible:This was a fun and funny book.Mason has a video show about chasing cryptids.His buddy was killed by one,yet he still has compassion for them. I enjoyed narration by Joel L Froomkin. I was given this book by the narrator,author or publisher free for an honest review.
Cally Walker
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another winner

From Eric Asher. You wouldn't expect light and funny from Vesiks' maker, but you would be wrong. Just as good but different Enjoy!
Catherine Mullins
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cool plot and characters

I just finished the book. Short but action packed. The characters both human and otherwise were great. Can't wait for more.
Tracy Trippler
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really liked this book

Really good book. I started with another series of Eric's and like this series as well! Good story, can't wait to get more
Ginelle Blanch
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting start to a series. Action right away. A lot of humor. Creatures I've heard if and ones that I haven't. Really liked the characters and storyline. Looking forward to what book 2 brings.
Kwkslvr
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Goofy and weird. Easy read.

• Scattered, Smothered and Chunked (Bubba the Monster Hunter #1)
  • Wine, Women, & Song (Bubba the Monster Hunter #3)
  • Swamp Music: A Bubba the Monster Hunter Novella
  • Hazard Pay and Other Tales: An Urban Fantasy Short Story Collection
  • Grits, Guns & Glory (Bubba the Monster Hunter #2)
  • Wasteland Marshals
  • Night Moves (New Templar / Spells, Salt, & Steel Book 5)
  • Born to Be Wild: A Bubba the Monster Hunter Novella
  • Deep Trouble (Spells, Salt, & Steel #3)
  • Close Encounters (Spells, Salt, & Steel #4)
  • Cauldron: A novella from the Shadow Council Archives (Joe Mack Book 1)
  • Inflection Point: A Quincy Harker, Demon Hunter Novel (Quincy Harker Demon Hunter Book 6)
  • Monsters, Magic, & Mayhem: Bubba the Monster Hunter Season 4
  • Monster Mash
  • The Devil's Apprentice (The Hexecutioner Book 4)
  • The Wizard's Butler
  • Salvation: Quincy Harker, Demon Hunter Year Four
  • Saving Mr. K: A Montague & Strong Detective Story
Eric is a former bookseller, cellist, and comic seller currently living in Saint Louis, Missouri. A lifelong enthusiast of books, music, toys, and games, he discovered a love for the written word after being dragged to the library by his parents at a young age. When he is not writing, you can usually find him reading, gaming, or buried beneath a small avalanche of Transformers.

Mason Dixon, Monster Hunter (3 books)
  • The Wampus of Reeds Spring (Mason Dixon, Monster Hunter #2 & The New Templars)
  • Mason Dixon & the Ghost Dinosaur (Mason Dixon, Monster Hunter #3)