Start by marking “For Hire (Pat Ruger Mystery Series, #1)” as Want to Read:
For Hire (Pat Ruger Mystery Series, #1)

Read Book* *Different edition

For Hire

(Pat Ruger Mystery Series #1)

This is an alternate Cover Edition for ISBN13: 9781494484545.

Pat Ruger is a retired detective in Denver, Colorado, who does freelance PI work. An old friend, Angel, is a long-time weed dealer who refers a case to Pat- a missing woman suspected of being kidnapped and radicalized by Islamic extremists. Pat’s new client and her best friend are young women of the street and th
Published (first published December 12th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about For Hire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For Hire

Texas
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pat Ruger: For Hire #1 – This is my first read by this author and I found myself immersed until the last page and then picked up the second book. Well written, but needing some editing – none distracting, with interesting and intriguing storylines. This story could have been written by Joseph Wambaugh. The main characters are developed enough to be interesting; I’m sure as the series goes, we’ll learn more about them. They have good dialog and work well together. The pace was continuous, never s ...more
Cath
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Pat is a Private Investigator and retired detective, living and working in Denver. His latest case is brought to him by Angel, a weed dealer Pat has known for many years. A young woman, Elena, has gone missing, possibly kidnapped, and before disappearing was suspected of being made into an Islam extremist at the mosque she has been attending.

Pat looks for Elena’s sister, Lola, and with her friend Anna, start to help Pat out in more ways than one. He is still recovering from the loss of his wife,
Charles Ray
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Retired Denver cop, Pat Ruger, does freelance PI work. When an old friend, weed dealer, Angel, refers a young woman to him, and she asks his help finding her missing sister, suspected of being taken and radicalized by an extremist group, he finds himself up to his waders in drug dealers and terrorists—all out to kill him.
Pat Ruger for Hire by Jack Huber is a fast-paced mystery, laced with humor, spiked with deadly action, and with an explosive climax that will have you on the edge of your chair.
John
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After reading and reviewing a later book in the Pat Ruger series by Jack Huber, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this first book and finding out how P A L detective agency and Pat Ruger came into being. I also enjoyed the quirky and fun banter between the main characters as they faced a myriad of cases with different clients all while searching for the solution to the major case, the missing person case that started the book. The characters are entertaining and slightly unpolished which makes them e ...more
Jay Williams
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book has several unique and interesting characters. Pat ends up in a partnership with a pair of wild hookers after agreeing to track the missing sister of one of them. The plot involves terrorists, cults and local criminals. The action is very good suspense builds through the story. Other than the characters themselves description is at a minimum. Pat begins to develop a relationship with a local FBI agent while being pursued by his new partners. Lots of fun and action make this a good book ...more
T Olsen
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Starts out like an old-fashion bad-ass private dick novel, and then makes a whole lot of unexpected twists and turns. The problem is that I seem to recognise every scene and every character from other books (starting with Evanovich's ex-ho' Lola) and there's an unnatural amount of sex offers. The book has some entertainment value, but I'm glad I got it for free.
P.S. Winn
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pat Ruger hires out as a Private investigator. When he takes on the job of finding a missing woman, Pat is going to get more than he bargained for. Sleeper cells and bomb threats are just part of the adventure as pat Ruger tries to solve the problems that landed in his lap. This is a quick read with a ripped from the headlines leaning.
Mickey Noel
Excellent reading!

I loved this story and the characters! I couldn't stop reading once I got started. Suspenseful, romantic, and even a little sexy. I am gonna get started on the next book immediately! Well done!
Cindy Crissman
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy, quick read

If you like an easy, quick, read this book will not disappoint. As a Series 1 book it lays out some back history to the characters and the end is tied up nearly for the reader.
BonusMom
Not bad

This is a retired cop gone private investigator story that is not bad but just a little unbelievable. It didn't flow very well and it seemed that there was a lot of gratuitous pursuit by several women. I will probably get the next one just to see if the story starts to flow better.
IMHO
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
My Review as Posted on Amazon:

Great!!!!!
ByIMHO on October 26, 2016
Format: Kindle Edition|Verified Purchase

Jack Huber hit this one out of the park! ( pun intended - read the story! ) Pat Ruger is a retired police detective, that is asked to find a missing person, because the police department was no longer looking....
If you like mysteries and detective novels, then this is a Must Read!!! And books 2 & 3 are available!!
Shelly
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"Pat Ruger - For Hire" is an easy to read book. The author does as good job painting a visual picture of the characters in the book. Pat Ruger is a investigator for hire whom we meet, he is likable and portrays a retired cop in a traditional way. There are also his soon to be partners, ex prostitutes, who keep his life lively. When Pat Ruger's long time friend is killed, the story line slightly alters and the book becomes more predictable. The book does not have a big final scene. Would have lik ...more
Jim T.
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jim by: Jim T. Henriksen
An excellent story, with believable characters, and a good plot. You can't help but sympathizing with Pat, a modern day old-school private detective. The story dives right into action almost immediately after starting, and you are kept in suspense throughout the book. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to witness the birth of the new Thomas Magnum. Jack Huber, give us more Pat Ruger! :)
Brenda Schneider
Feb 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story. Believable characters. Entertaining and fast paced. Really enjoyed reading this book. I received this book free from good reads for an honest review.
Linda
Jan 08, 2017
Chris Moore
Apr 02, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

• Murder in Whitechapel (The Judas Reflections #1)
  • An Appetite for Revenge (A Sarah Woods Mystery)
  • Dead Man's Tunnel (Hook Runyon #3)
  • Before We Say Goodbye: An unforgettable, heart-warming story of love and letting go, perfect for fans of Jojo Moyes
  • AT Every Turn (Redemption Thriller #22; Alex Troutt Thriller #10)
  • Storm Force (Storm Thriller #2)
  • Screams You Hear
  • Who I Am
  • Blood Moon (John Jordan Mystery, #9)
  • Golden Chariot
  • Roman Candle (Raiding Forces #4)
  • Bad Vibes (The Edge of Texas #3)
  • Operation Ivy Bells
  • Hidden Voices (Tess Schafer-Medium, #2)
  • Clockwise Series Boxed Set (Clockwise, #1-4)
  • The Nostradamus Secret (Danforth Saga Book 3)
  • Sons of Sparta (Andreas Kaldis, #6)
  • Bouncer
Jack was born in Southern California but now resides in Colorado with his wife, Nadyne, and their Cairn Terrier, Lucy. Jack has found a niche in the detective/mystery/crime/thriller genres with his Pat Ruger Mystery Series novels.

Jack has several books of poetry and photography on the market and has been a Staff Writer for Poetic Monthly Magazine. During his thirty years in IT, he has had many of

Pat Ruger Mystery Series (4 books)
  • Caribbean Shuffle (Pat Ruger Mystery Series, #2)
  • Native Species (Pat Ruger Mystery Series, #3)
  • Children's Reprise (Pat Ruger Mystery Series, #4)