Start by marking “Kitchen Canary” as Want to Read:
Kitchen Canary

Kitchen Canary

Kitchen Canary is the first in a series of two novels that follow the journeys of two young Irish immigrants who come to America to work as domestics.

Boston 1868...At the insistence of her parents, sixteen-year-old Katie O'Neil reluctantly left her beloved Galway. She joined her cousin, Moira Murphy to work as a nanny and domestic. In mid-nineteenth century Boston, Irish
Published April 9th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Kitchen Canary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kitchen Canary

Start your review of Kitchen Canary
BAM Endlessly Booked
Netgalley #61

Many thanks go to Joanne C. Parsons and Netgalley for the free copy of this book in exchange for the copy of this book.
Katie O'Neil is sent by her family to America from Ireland for a chance at a better life. She finds lodging and work as a maid and nanny with an affluent family in Boston with her cousin, Moira. But when Moira shows Katie to her room her first night she makes she makes Katie promise to lock her door. And rumors are stirring about why the previous maid left. Mr. Bre
Joan
Jan 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
A good story in what I'm sure is a historically accurate setting. However, I did not find the book that well written; on the contrary, the style struck me as somewhat simplistic. ...more
Susan
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
interesting story...but the writing is simple and unimaginative...
Jena Henry
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You may recall that after the potato famine in Ireland, many Irish immigrated to the United States and Boston became home for many of them. But what was it really like to come over as a young person and make one’s way in the land of opportunity?
This book brings the history and the immigrant story to life, in an engaging and captivating way.

Moira immigrated first and then arranged for Katie to come too, and work in the same wealthy household in Boston as a nanny. Katie loved Ireland and didn’t wa
Cheryl
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this book finding it to be very nicely written with a very easy-to-read flow to the words. Being a New Englander, a genealogist and an historical fiction buff, that time in history is fascinating to me. I liked the attention to detail in relating each characters point of view.

AFTER reading the book I decided to read about the author and was most fascinated to read her own history! PLEASE KEEP WRITING! I cannot wait to read more!
Amanda Lavelle
I kindly received a digital copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
This is the story of a young Irish girl, sent to America by her family to work. The book does justice to the harsh realities that many Irish immigrants faced and was an interesting read. There is a Christmas reference in here so suitable if anyone wants to make a nod towards Christmas at this time of the year, rather than a full on snowy romance spectacular.
Susana Filipe
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excelente leitura! Eu gosto mesmo muito de ficção histórica e esta É uma excelente história!
Descritivo, sem ser florido demais!
Acabamos por sentir que estamos a viver tudo com a Katie, a protagonista da história que deixa a Irlanda que ela ama por uma vida "melhor" em Boston!
Já tenho lido vários livros que se aprofundam no tema de como os irlandeses foram recebidos odiados e maltratados na América, mas este tornou tudo muito real!
Ótimo romance.
Cathie Manley-mckenzie
I did enjoy a more real feeling about these Characters but was sorry to see the ending so quickly. It felt rushed or not quite complete. Not that it dragged any place just rather abrupt end. The hardships the Irish endured was a huge part of my Dad's remembrances that he spoke of in later years and this book does a good job in the telling. We are all so very fortunate to be living in these times , tumultuous tho they may be, in a different way. ...more
Linda
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Kitchen canaries were young Irish immigrant girls who came to America during the Irish Potato Famine. They usually ended up working in the kitchen and were treated poorly. The writing is so vivid that you feel what the characters are feeling.I liked how you got the viewpoints of several characters. My only criticism is the abrupt transition from one sentence to another in several scenes. It is sometimes a dark read and yet is inspiring. I highly recommend this book.
Lula Wilson
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful true to life story of that era.

Disliked the fact that the girls did not fight back, but in that day they had little choice. Anyone with heart could like the story. No doubt the head of the household got his reward!
louis perez
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good but dark

I would never have imagined anything so horrible. Liked the Irish hadn't suffered enough through the famine and the oppression once they arrived. To think they were considered property. We have come a long way.
Carolyn
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellently written story of two young Irish immigrant women who encounter hardships and prejudice in Boston in the nineteenth century. I found this book almost impossible to put down.
Lisa Matheny
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A different perspective

A different look into the Irish immigrants life in the United States. I enjoyed the chapters written from each characters’ perspective.
Dorothy A. Chubbuck
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love this book! Uplifting and heartbreaking at the same time. A quick read I didn't want to put down. ...more
J.J. Clarke
I loved this book and it’s always nice to learn about American History. I know the book was researched extensively.
Carolyn Russett
Mar 01, 2019 rated it liked it
story line is good
short and easy read
T.J. Hannon
Sep 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved Kitchen Canary. Being Irish, this historical fiction story hit home. Accurate and a great read, you don’t have to be Irish to appreciate it. When an author writes as well as Joanne Parsons, any topic she writes about will be well written.
Della Reams
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Irish Girls in America

This is a tragic story with hope at the end. Irish Girls were treated as sub-human by the British and Americans. But sometimes there is redemption.
Cindy
Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Hard working Irish women's tale

This book helped me understand Itrish immigrants and what hardships they endured in order to work to have a beter life.
Melissa A.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Threads: A Depression Era Tale
  • The Other Couple
  • Turn Back Time
  • Kit's Hill: A powerful historical saga (The Brief Chronicles series Book 1)
  • Cora Jean
  • The Lost Children
  • Angels of the Appalachians
  • Lost Child: A tale of Abandonment, Rejection and Survival
  • The House Children
  • Veda: A Novel
  • The Tide Between Us: An Epic Irish-Jamaican Story of Passion, Loss and Inescapable Destinies
  • The Weaver's Legacy: A historical epic novel of the Irish in the American West
  • A Surgeon’s Knot
  • Dreams of the Island (Amherst Island Book 2)
  • I Am Elle
  • A Guardian of Slaves (The Livingston Legacy #2)
  • Scorched Grounds (Normal, Alabama, #2)
  • Long Black Stockings: A turn-of-the-century memoir