Start by marking “The Scarlet Thread (Fated Destruction #1)” as Want to Read:
The Scarlet Thread (Fated Destruction #1)

The Scarlet Thread

(Fated Destruction #1)

This is an alternate cover edition for ASIN B01B5COTFI.

My name Kaidance Monroe, and sometimes when I touch people, I see how they die. After I saw my little brother’s death but failed to stop it, my parents abandoned me to a juvenile detention facility. I don’t let people touch me anymore. Not my fingertips, not my skin, not my heart. I make my own clothes by stitching tog
Published April 2017 by Urban Epics (first published March 2nd 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Scarlet Thread, please sign up.
Derek Murphy Shooting for late November! Gotta finish Shearwater first and it's loooong.
…more
Shooting for late November! Gotta finish Shearwater first and it's loooong.
(less)

Start your review of The Scarlet Thread (Fated Destruction #1)
Donita Luz
"If there's one thing I've learned in all my years, it's this: death will not be cheated."
What would you do when you have the ability to see how people would eventually die when you get to touch them? Would you consider it as a gift knowing that somehow, you'll get to warn people of their fate, or consider it as a curse for this ability tortures you as you see death in everything that you touched? For Kaidance it's the latter.

After she failed on saving her brother from the death that haunt
Jim
I'm not sure why I bought this, but it was pretty good, an interesting blend of mythologies (old Greek & Christian). I liked the world a lot, the characters less so, especially the MC. Her motivations didn't always make sense to me, but I'm a content old guy & she's an abused young girl, so that might account for it.

After reading this, I looked up the author & found he is a fairly new, young & prolific one which didn't surprise me. This reads like a first novel & had a couple of really irritatin
A.M. Martin
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
~IS HE A TORCH?~

I've been looking for a book all day that grabs me and doesn't let go. Then I stumbled upon this beauty. At first it was the gorgeous cover that caught my eye. Then I read the blurb. It was new. Something different and interesting. I bought the book.

What a buy it was. It has that tone about it,when you read everything else around you fades into the background. (Kids wrecked the house while I was immersed in this book) It pulls you in. Everything flows so naturally through out the
☆☆Hannah☆☆
This is a quick and easy read. Partly due to that this book is being split into multiple parts. I will say that this part of the book was really good. I <3 mythology and this book didn't disappoint me. It's about a girl named Kaidance who is shunned by her family due to the fact that she can see when someone is going to die by touching them. When she is away at a juvenile center she is rescued by others like her. We find out that she is even more special than they thought. Now she is wanted by b ...more
Claude
Feb 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kira Simion
Apr 28, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: got-for-free
I have the book, but I can't get the audio. :(

4-28/29-17

Thank you D. S. Murphy for the audiobook since I had gotten the kindle version! I appreciate it and can't wait to delve into the story you've created. I will write a review of my own will. No exchange was made.
Zhye
So this is part one, not book one, just part one with hopefully the rest of the book to follow soon. It is a great start to a book, but if you have looked this author up on Amazon he has a few part one's out for different books AND if you visit his website listed in the back of this book you will see even more part one's written under slightly different names. Now supposedly if you follow this same link (I assume it's in the back of all his books) and sign up for his newsletter you will receive ...more
Bekah (WillBakeforBooks)
Hmm, not sure if I really liked this book. Main character wasn't very likable, world-building was confusing, and plot wasn't very well executed. The storyline has potential but I'm just not sure if I want to use my time to see if it gets better. Wasn't the worst book I ever read, by any means. It also wasn't the best. On a more positive note, the writing itself was fantastic. Would love to see if perhaps I would enjoy something else from this author.
Tasha
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm really looking forward to more work from this author. This type of literature is right up my alley. I love books about mythology and when I find those books that have a unique take on the myths, it's even better. This book has the main characters of mythology, but it's not always obvious. Figuring out who is who was part of the fun for me while I read it.
Elizabeth
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow... So in love with The Scarlet Thread! I just couldn't keep my kindle down. I just fell in love with Kaidance and he struggle with life after the death of he little brother and understanding why she has has the ability she does. Can't wait till the second part comes out.
Sadie
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished this books so fast it was ridiculous. I really enjoyed this book and I truly can't wait to see what Derek Murphy does with this series and finishing this all together. I really recommend this book!(:
Beret Brenckman
The Greek Three Fates.
Rebecca Cook
This was only part one, so I can't give my full opinion of it yet. I love the mythology angle, but so far none of the characters are too appealing or likable, including the protagonist.
Line Bookaholic
Dec 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Really loved this world the author created, so amazing ! I need part two
!!
Crystal Collier
DNF

I was loving the beginning of the book. The set up with the Juvie Detention Center was well grounded and the conflicts were solid. I was seriously worried for Kaidance. And then it all changed.

I read on. I did. In fact, I made it 55% of the way through the book before I had to put it down. Unfortunately, enough threads and pieces didn't line up for my liking. Not saying other people won't love this book, but I just didn't.

Content warning: Themes of abuse, rape, etc. Lots of language.
Sabrina
Apr 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Kaidance has spent her life trying to hide her curse, she can see a person's death when she touches them. When she was small, she tried to save her brother from the death she had foreseen, but no one believed her and they thought she actually caused the death. Since then she has been living at the Juvenile Delinquent Reform Institution. What she doesn't know is that The Fates gave her this power and there is someone who will stop at nothing to use her power.
Tammy Bulcao
May 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Story!💜

This is going to be a great series. I love this storyline and all the amazing characters.
This is my first book with this narrator and I loved her. Great job on so many different characters.
This is book 1 and continues on into the next book.
If you don’t mind cliffhangers I recommend this book/series!

Sisters Spotlight 💜
Maria
Apr 07, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Free from Amazon Kindle 07//04/2017
Ashley
Apr 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2.5⭐️

It somewhat held my attention. Kind of boring though.
Coco.V
Dec 22, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
💝 FREE on Amazon today (12/22/2017)! 💝
April
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I’m all for a mythological retelling but this was confusing. Nothing about it makes me want to read the sequel
Vicky Peplow
May 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

A great start to a new series. The storyline and characters were well thought out and well described so that you could connect with them. I look forward to reading the next in the series.
Amber Dene
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook-read
Interesting take on Olympians. This is a very captivating story that will keep you guessing. I am enjoying this story very much. It is an easy read and I highly recommend it.
Angel Leya
Aug 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ya contemporary greek fantasy lovers
Ugh, killing me here. The story was interesting, then captivating, and then it ended. :( But I signed up for the newsletter, so I'll get the rest of the story as soon as he writes it, but man, talk about ripping your heart out.

Kaidance is in juvenile detention for killing her brother, except she tried desperately to prevent his death after she saw it. Problem is, no one believed her. Then, one day she sneaks off with her friend to a party, gets bored and then creeped out by some guy with gold ey
Kikijanika
Jul 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I've read from D.S. Murphy but now I have some other ones on my to-read-list as well. It's a pity this was only part 1 of the story but at least there's something to look forward to. I'm really looking forward to part 2!

The story was captivating as well as quick and easy to read. Once I started I just wanted to keep going.

I loved Kaidance as a character. She has a strong personality and despite all that she's gone through and the fear she carries within her, she has foun
Megan Hubble-Roney
Fantastic read! Can not wait for more of this story! This is not my normal go to for a read, I have a hard time reading books about "young adults" because they're usually very immature and always annoying and obnoxious.
In this case I found myself really truly enjoying Kaidance. She has had the crappiest life, though it wasn't always that way.
Abandoned by her parents in a "institution" for the murder of her brother, she has a special ability. She can see the moment when a person is going to di
The lady in Red
A good book with an interesting storyline and a mix of Greek mythology but beware because the book also holds a few cliches.
The heroine is projected as strong with a few self doubts that are necessary for a young adult novel.the plot was interesting and keeps the pages turning. But on a personal level I felt that the book was short and in a few more chapters would have caused no harm and given us a better closure.

Also the writing was nice and a noticeable trait of the heroines confusion was the
Bridgett Brown
Apr 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*****This was a part 1 or teaser to the rest of the book*******
I seen alot of reviews saying they didn't know this was a "teaser" book, it is not the whole story...
but that being said I LOVE THIS STORY.
I love stories about mythology.
Kaidance Monroe has a gift, when she touches someone she can see how they die. She thinks it's a curse After she saw her little brother's death but failed to stop it, her parents abandoned her to a juvenile detention facility. Now she don't let anyone touch her. Soon
Lisa P
Jul 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is part 1 of a full novel... Not sure how many parts will make up the complete story, but it's off to a good start. Kai has a pretty tragic backstory, considering all things. Sitri and Puriel are turning out to be interesting characters. There are numerous characters introduced, some you easily gravitate towards, others that you throw into the category of mean and unpleasant, while others are in between and have yet to reveal themselves as good or bad. The idea of Torches is clever. I'm hop ...more
Lex
Mar 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
This is only part one but it's pretty good so far. It's not my most favorite book I've ever read but it's alright so far. I hope with the rest of the novel that we get more. The writing itself is pretty good but all of the description and reminders of what Kai is wearing gets a little tiresome. I'm enjoying this, I love mythology, but the way that the myths have changed is a little troublesome because I know these stories so well that I just pick out what isn't what I've read from mythology book ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Prophet of Doom (Delphi Chronicles, #1)
  • Fae Hunter (Tangled Fae #1)
  • Blood Laws (Immortal Curse #1)
  • Circus of the Dead, Book One
  • Soul Symmetry (Raven, #3)
  • White Raven (Raven, #1)
  • Spellwood Academy
  • The Fae & The Fallen (Gifted Fae Academy #1)
  • Slumber (Beauty Never Dies Chronicles, #1)
  • Reap (The Harvest Saga #1)
  • The Confectioner's Exile (The Confectioner Chronicles #0.5)
  • The Confectioner's Guild (The Confectioner Chronicles, #1)
  • The Queen of Cursed Things (Serpents and Kings, #1)
  • Cursed Prince (Night Elves Trilogy #1)
  • Black Crow (Raven, #2)
  • Delayed Admission (Shadow Veil Academy #1)
  • Fate of Dragons (Dragons Rising, #1)
  • Vampire Deception: Thieves & Liars (Supernatural Tournament Series Book 1)

Fated Destruction (3 books)
  • The Golden Shears (Fated Destruction, #2)
  • The Emerald Tablet (Fated Destruction #3)