Start by marking “Bingo Love” as Want to Read:
Bingo Love

Bingo Love

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  6,118 ratings  ·  1,316 reviews
Bingo Love is a story of a same-sex romance that spans over 60 years. A chance meeting at church bingo in 1963 brings Hazel Johnson and Mari McCray together. Through their formative years, these two women develop feelings for each other and finally profess their love for one another.

Forced apart by their families and society, Hazel and Mari both married young men and had f
ebook, Kickstarter, 92 pages
Published December 2017 by Inclusive Press

To ask other readers questions about Bingo Love, please sign up.
Samantha It depends on the 6th grader. It's "mushy" being centered around a romance, but it's not explicit in any way. Although there is homophobic tension fro…moreIt depends on the 6th grader. It's "mushy" being centered around a romance, but it's not explicit in any way. Although there is homophobic tension from some characters, no slurs are used or violence imposed. (less)

·  6,118 ratings  ·  1,316 reviews

Start your review of Bingo Love
Melanie
“I’ve hidden my love for a woman for fifty years”

Wow, I loved this second chance romance so much. It was sweet, and heartwarming, but so real, and so heartbreaking. I laughed, I cried, I wanted more. Seriously, I’m so dang happy that I picked this up.

This story is told in flashbacks from present day to 1963, where we see two young girls discovering their sexuality. Hazel is at the bingo hall when she lays eyes on the new girl, Mari, for the very first time. Both come from strict and
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
My heart 😭💔 this was a really sweet story and the art was AMAZING but tbh the writing left something to be desired. It was clunky and awkward at times and ended up taking me out of the story more often than not. It’s a fun read and I definitely caught the feels at times, but it wasn’t the best thing I’ve ever read.
Sara
I'm really torn with this one. I'm giving it 2.5 stars. The artwork is absolutely terrific and its wonderful to see such a heartfelt romance with queer characters but the story and supporting characters just don't work for me.

The concept is lovely. We meet Elle, an elderly woman living in the year 2038 who is comforting an unidentified young woman who's parents have just kicked her out of the house for being gay. To comfort this person Elle tells her own story of meeting the love of her life whe
Whitney Atkinson
Loved this book for showing the queer relationship of two women of color, not just at the time it occurs, but in the way that it affects their lives down the road and the domino effect it caused. The art was also great; simplistic but cute and really captured emotion well.

This book was just far too short and rushed for what it was trying to do. I wish the initial relationship between the two women was fleshed out because it all happened so fast and felt like instalove. The last half got better,
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
Really wanted to like this but it was just ok. My biggest problem is honestly that it felt like a f/f story for a straight audience. The amount of time it spent emphasizing that it was ok to be queer and that love is love just annoyed me as it went on. Plus, the writing of this is somewhat amateurish. One of the daughters in particular had the most stilted dialogue, but the arguments were also mostly obnoxious and simplistic.

This gets points for being a graphic novel about queer love, particula
Cindy Pham
Feb 15, 2019 rated it liked it
A cute, feel-good story for when you want a nice light read. While I enjoyed seeing two black, queer women fall in love and the wholesomeness depicted in the story, the pacing, time skips, conflicts, and resolutions all moved too quickly to fully immerse myself in the relationship. It feels like you're glossing over the summary of a love story rather than experiencing it.
Joce (squibblesreads)
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
MY HEART IS EXPLODING
David Schaafsma
In my relentless goal to read all of the 2018 Goodreads Graphic Novel and Comics nominees, I come to the tale of two grandmothers who fell in love at a 1963 church bingo night, discontinue the relationship, got heir separate ways, and reunite 50 years later. Yes, bitter because it took that long, society being then and still now that repressive, in the main, and sweet because it finally happened. Both were forced into early marriages, ugh. Hazel was married, had kids, grandkids. There’s a second ...more
Krista Regester
There's a lot of diverse representation in this - I liked the queer love story between the two main characters, Hazel and Mari. Although, I felt that the writing didn't flow as well as it could have. The text felt too scripted and awkward at times.
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
This was pretty cute! The artwork was adorable and so colorful and pretty, and I enjoyed the characters. The whole premise is sad, of course, but I thought things went as well as they could have until the ending. I personally didn't love the ending of the story in general, which is the only reason I couldn't bring myself to give this a full 5 stars, but I definitely still thought it was a sweet, quick read that I would highly recommend to anyone looking for romantic graphic novels (especially qu ...more
CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian
I am sad to report that I was disappointed with this comic. The art is amazing -- beautiful colors, expressive faces, fun spreads with unicorns and kissing. But the story and characterization are just not very good. The dialogue is stilted, awkward, and inauthentic, the plot is told rather than shown and feels very amateurish.
Carol Tilley
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, women, queer
Is it perfect? Nope. It's got a big heart though and that's all that matters.
Chad
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
A tale of 2 black women who met as teenagers in 1963 and fell in love only to be driven apart by their families. Fifty years later, they meet again at a bingo parlor, immediately reconnecting. Now they must decide if they will pursue their love or deny it to remain with the families they've raised in the intervening years.

This will give you all the feels, maybe even make you cry a time or two. Franklin has done a great job of capturing what was at the time, a forbidden love. It's a wonderful sto
Julie Zantopoulos
This was such a cute story about a "forbidden" love between two women who couldn't be together due to family and societal judgment. It was heartbreaking and heartwarming all at once, and I adored the art style. However, the writing of the graphic novel felt off. The pacing was way choppy and at times it lagged while at others it rushed a lot.

We have conflicts being solved within a page or two, like epic conflicts, and I get that the conflict wasn't the point of the story (the love story was) bu
Tyler J Gray
My bisexual heart is so happy!! So heart-breaking, but then so beautiful. It's never too late to be happy.
Sara➽ Ink Is My Sword
3.5 “PoC F/F LOVE” Stars
FULL REVIEW NOW POSTED:
description

🏳️‍🌈Pride Round, GR Inspired Read-a-thon Book #1.

The story of two lovely women of color, falling in love, with lots of cute scenes and hard hitting realistic problems.

Let’s start with the things I enjoyed. I loved the concept and storyline, the way we follow the relationship through different stages in their lifetimes, being able to see the struggles our characters had to go through. Obviously, the fact that both of our main characters were
halfirishgrin
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was so freaking adorable! Plus, the art was absolutely beautiful and so colourful. I loved the two main characters - especially Hazel.

The writing was kind of awkward at times. Thee dialogue wasn't always super realistic and I wish some of the characters were developed a little better. But honestly the book was so cute I will overlook all of that.
Laura (bbliophile)
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
This was so good and cute but also so heart-wrenching. I definitely didn't expect to cry this much while reading it.
Cassie
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
oh. my. god. the tears have opened a floodgate in my eyes.

this graphic novel was absolutely everything to me. this story is so important, i want to make everyone in this entire world read it.

elle and mari are the definition of couple goals. their love for each other just added 25 years to my life. the two main characters are queer woc and are in love, but because of the world they live in they can’t be together. i loved the dialogue in this story, the way elle stood up to people and told
Lois
This was truly sweet. I'm not really a fan of comics, graphic novels or anime but I was truly surprised how much I loved everything about this. I fully intend to purchase and read the other installments in this series. What a sweet and beautiful love story💗
ambyr
The art is the best thing about this book--fluid, colorful, bold, expressive. The writing, I thought, could have used some more work; the dialogue is painfully stilted in places, and the strong opening frame story never closes, leaving the reader awkwardly hanging. But I'm glad the story exists in the world.
mindful.librarian ☀️
LOVED IT. I struggle with so many graphic texts but this one worked for me in all ways - the story, the ART 😍 I never knew I needed a story about two grandmothers in love but I DID. I really did. And the art won’t get out of my head - the depiction of voluptuous womanly bodies was so so lush and so loving.
Darcy (Daydreamingofbookdragons)
(3.5)

Super cute and wonderfully diverse graphic novel that's just let down by it's rushed pace and cheesy and overdramatic dialogue.
Erica

Well.
That's a depressing beginning.
2038 and parents are still kicking kids out of their homes because of whom the kids love.
Is there no hope?

I think that's one of the reasons for this book - there is hope!
If that's what you're looking for, you may find it in this book.

As you can see by the cover, this is full of delightful pictures.
You can also tell that it touches on several topics: Women of color in love with each other from childhood on into their retirement years.

This is a necessary
Rena
Bingo Love, my first book of 2019...

I have no other words right now.
mina reads™️
I really loved the artwork in this but the writing left something to be desired in my humble opinion. It was very cute, i loved alot of the scenes and the arc of the story but it was missing just a little something.
Devann
I received a free copy of this book from Edelweiss

This was equal parts adorable and heartbreaking [and then adorable again ...and then heartbreaking again ...it was a roller coaster of emotions for sure] and I was absolutely bawling by the end [mostly happy tears but maybe a few sad ones as well] and I literally cannot even think of a time another book made me cry AT ALL so that's quite an achievement really. As other people have said, it's not necessarily perfect but it is incredibly emotional
Gwenyth
EDIT:
"Loving someone who is the same gender as you is not wrong. Loving someone who identifies as the same gender as you is not wrong."
That line was a little questionable. It seemed a bit transphobic. It's like saying someone who is a transgender woman\man aren't real women\men but is identifying as a woman\man. This has recently come to my attention so I have marked it down from the original five stars, removed it from the shelves next level shit and favorites. The book was cute but the tran
Kay
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
#RWLChallenge: A book with an elderly main character

My chest :'(

The artwork in this is excellent! Everything is so beautiful. Looking forward to the other books in the series.
Jade Melody
Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

I've heard so many great things about this graphic novel, and it's been on my physical TBR for over six months! I can't believe it took me so long to get to it, but what's new I say that about every book it seems like.

This was such a precious love story portrayed in graphic novel form. It goes from a budding friendship, into a young love that can't be accepted into finding your true love again closer to the end of your live.

These characters threw caution to the wind for their
Brunch Babes Reads: Bingo Love Spoilers Discussion 1 1 Dec 09, 2019 11:40AM
Brunch Babes Reads: Bingo Love:General Discussion 1 1 Dec 09, 2019 11:40AM
ABQ Graphic Novel...: * Bingo Love: August 3rd 2019 3 9 Aug 14, 2019 09:09AM
We Read Stuff: Bingo Love ~Spoilers~ 1 9 Feb 01, 2019 09:50AM
Goodreads Librari...: Kickstarter information on book needs change 8 48 Dec 31, 2017 08:56AM

• Moonstruck, Vol. 1: Magic to Brew (Moonstruck #1)
  • Heavy Vinyl, Vol. 1: Riot on the Radio
  • Moonstruck, Vol. 2: Some Enchanted Evening (Moonstruck #2)
  • Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me