Start by marking “Hell Cat of the Holt (a novella): supernatural horror in the Shadow Fabric mythos” as Want to Read:

Shy accountant Anne returns to the village of Mabley Holt to piece together her life after a family tragedy. When her cat vanishes, and a neighbour claims to speak with his dead wife, she soon learns there’s more to the village than any resident dares admit. In search of her beloved pet, she discovers not only family secrets but also revelations of a local legend.

As she
Published June 1st 2017 by Herbs House

To ask other readers questions about Hell Cat of the Holt (a novella), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hell Cat of the Holt (a novella)

Start your review of Hell Cat of the Holt (a novella): supernatural horror in the Shadow Fabric mythos
Bark
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
A solid 4 1/2.

I shallowly chose this as my next read because of the title and the cover. I live with a hellcat who chews laptop cords, Ipads, electrical wiring, hapless and short lived mice and human legs. He likes the legs best of all but only if they’re hairy so I’m usually safe. He also takes great joy in lazing about on the stairway awaiting the human stupid enough to dare pass him. You know the type.

Here’s the devil’s furry son we call Patrick.

Here he is in action:

Anyhow , this story turned
Kimberly
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
HELL CAT OF THE HOLT (A Shadow Fabric Mythos novella) is the first book I've read by author Mark Cassell. He has created "The Shadow Fabric Mythos", of which this novella is a part of that "world". The Shadow Fabric is basically an almost physical sign of locations on the Earth where the veil separating our existence from that of the spirit realm are the thinnest, and therefore the easiest, to breach.

". . . What you're seeing aren't the shadows you think they are, it's the veil shifting. Traces
Darrell Grizzle
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A novella set in Mark Cassell’s mythos of the Shadow Fabric, which in the words of one of the main characters, is “a sentient darkness that exists in varying forms and allows entities to move between worlds.” It’s an intriguing idea, and Cassell uses the concept to full advantage, crafting a story that is rich in characterization as well as in action and (sometimes graphic) horror. The novella includes a previously-published short story featuring two of the main characters. This is one of a ...more
 Reading Divergence

Web
'hell cat'

Review: HELL CAT OF THE HOLT by Mark Cassell

Mark Cassell's constructed mythos is creatively imagined and original. He utilizes the concept of a veil between dimensions in a new way. He calls it the Shadow Fabric, a dimension which contains demons, shadows, and other entities. Demons whose physical form may be interred on this side, restrained by "containment stones," while their consciousness remain active on the other side.

HELL CAT OF THE HOLT focuses on a tiny English village
Miranda Kate
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As someone who has read all of the Shadow Fabric books, I had to read this one too. I liked that it could stand alone as a story in its own right, but also link to the original The Shadow Fabric book.

I liked the originality of this tale. The setting which reminded me of James Herbert's The Ghosts of Sleath. It had a dark, gritty feel, and the originality of a 'cat' brought a different dimension to the Mythos. I liked how the characters and background tied in and loved the revelation at the end.
Amy Thorp
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!

Mark Cassell is a master with words! From the beginning, this book grabbed me and wouldn't let go! Excellent read!
Mark M J Green
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The first thing that grabbed me about Hell Cat of the Holt was the title, it just sounded to me like something that would suit an old Hammer Horror movie that would star Vincent Price or one of the many other Hammer regulars.
Oddly enough, Hammer Horror does get a mention in the book, so maybe it was intended that way, or perhaps it’s just a coincidence; either way the title grabbed me.

The tale this time around centres on the character of Anne, who is visiting her late Grandparents home in the
Yvonne Davies
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-read
Living in Mabley Holt, Anne’s only concerns was to make her accountancy deadlines and to find her missing cat. Hearing rumours of a black cat roaming the village Anne starts to investigate, but finds herself embroiled in an ancient legend
Although Anne had only heard of the black cat from her grandad, she still decided to walk for miles looking for her missing cat. Whilst most of her walks were uneventful, on one occasion she meets a new neighbour Leo, who was knowledgeable of the local legend.
Charlotte Munro
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hell Cat of the Holt opens with quite literally a bang; a darkness that both taunts and terrifies those of Mabley Holt, and whispers of the Black Cat are only becoming more rife.
Anne is still hunting for her companion cat Murphy when she becomes embroiled in with the shadows that are creeping closer and closer into her town. When she is helped by Leo; a man who has seen far more than he ever wished for, Anne learns far more than she bargained for.
A tale of demons and darkness ans witches and
Lisa Lee
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hell Cat of the Holt begins with what could be a separate short story of truly horrific proportions. It is a gruesome and shocking opening. The story continues in first person as Anne becomes drawn into the dark, unimaginable mysteries of the world around her. At times, I found Anne to be uncomfortably realistic, an ordinary person in extraordinary circumstance. I enjoyed the imagery and the pace as well as the characters. The story flowed well with signature dark tension and mystery that Mark ...more
Kelly Rickard
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Anne returns to her childhood home of Holt after her marriage dissolves while there her grandparents die and then her cat Murphy disappears along with the rest of the village cats.

This is the first book I have read by Mark Cassell. Despite being part of the shadow fabric mythos no previous knowledge is needed to jump into this novella.

While I enjoyed the characters I desperately wanted to know the fate of the missing cats and enjoyed learning about the hell cat.

There is a bonus short story at
Joan
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
In Mabley Holt there's a legend about a big black cat, but what if it isn't just a legend? Anne has moved back to her grandparents home and strange things are happening. When she is rescued from a fall and near drowning by Leo another neighbour who has come back, he tells her a story which she has a hard time believing.
Leo tells her of The Fabric of Reality and the shifting veil that allows entities to move between worlds such as ghosts, spirits and demons. I won't say anymore as I don't what to
Shane Keene
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book has a lot of promise, as does the premise and the mythos. Unfortunately, it didn't quite live up to it's potential for me, I think because I haven't read the novel where the mythos and some of the characters were first introduced. I went into it believing it was standalone but it wasn't really, I don't think.

So, would I recommend it? Yes. Would I recommend it if you haven't read The Shadow Fabric yet? No. Read that book first so you have some foundation and some history on a few of
Vanessa Elmes
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I've read by Mark Cassell and it didn't disappoint. The book had great pace, is well written and moves along nicely. Almost unexpectedly you are thrown completely into the dark world he has created full of twists and turns that have you gripped till the end. I'll definitely be adding more of mark's books to my reading list.
Lydian Faust
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hell Cat of the Holt takes on a cryptozoological legend that has always fascinated me, the large black cat sightings in the UK. Cassell effectively weaves the folklore of the big cat into the dark fabric of his own imaginative mythology. An intriguing, fast-paced, supernatural tale with a bit of mystery thrown in the mix.
Horror DNA
May 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: shane-d-keene
When it comes to reading, anyone who knows me is aware that I'm no snob, reading all over the board, from crime to splatterpunk to horror and beyond, and all around the globe, with Japanese crime and horror fiction being some of my absolute favorite material. And another favorite of mine, one at the absolute top of the literary food chain for me, is British horror. Some of my favorite authors of all time have come from the island, including great masters such as James Herbert, author of The ...more
Andy Graham
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The novella actually struck me as two stories in one. The first part of the book is able to stand alone as a short story. This section really stood out for me. It’s tight and punchy and has a great twist. The beauty of the twist was that I knew something was coming, but didn’t spot it until it hit. When I reread it, I could see the hints that led up to the climax.

The rest of the novella builds on this back story. It’s fast-paced and creepy. It’s got demons, supernatural beasts, blood, gore, guts
Cedar Hollow Horror Reviews
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Anne returns home to the village of Mabley Holt. She is trying to hit reset on her life and put the pieces back together. Things don't turn out like she wants. In the village of Mabley Holt there is a local legend about a black cat. Is it a legend or is there something more sinister at play? Anne's cat disappears along with all of the other village cats. While out looking for her cat, Anne almost drowns, but she is saved by Leo. The strange man has come back to Mabley Holt as well. Leo informs ...more
M Boers

• War of the God Queen
  • Blanky
  • Quiet Places: A Novella of Cosmic Folk Horror
  • The Ghost Club: Newly Found Tales of Victorian Terror
  • Just Add Water (Mail Order Massacres #1)
  • Edging
  • Goblin: A Novel in Six Novellas
  • Hug Chickenpenny: The Panegyric of an Anomalous Child
  • Broken Shells
  • School's Out
Mark’s jobs have included baker, lab technician, driving instructor, actor, and was once a spotlight operator for an Elvis impersonator. He lives on the south-east coast of England with his wife and a number of animals, including a bearded dragon called Arnie. Best known for supernatural horror, Mark’s work features in numerous reputable anthologies where he proves he has a penchant for ignoring ...more