Start by marking “Bollywood and the Beast (Bollywood Confidential, #3)” as Want to Read:
Bollywood and the Beast (Bollywood Confidential, #3)

Bollywood and the Beast

(Bollywood Confidential #3)

It’s not just the roses that have thorns.

Bollywood Confidential, Book 3

American-born ingénue Rakhee “Rocky” Varma knows a career in Bollywood is no fairy tale, but that truth hits home when her outspoken nature lands her in hot water with the media.

Banished to her leading man’s crumbling mansion on the outskirts of Delhi until things cool down, she is wholly unprepared to
ebook, Second Edition
Published April 14th 2017 by Suleikha Snyder (first published February 11th 2014)

Start your review of Bollywood and the Beast (Bollywood Confidential, #3)
Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**

***3.5 Stars***

This is my first time reading Suleikha Snyder, but it certainly won't be my last.

The writing here is beautiful, as is the imagery. An Indian haveli as the backdrop, the realities of a Bollywood life weaved in, an Indian-American actress finding her way in a country that refuses to accept her, and a man who had it all but felt it get ripped away in a blaze of fire and now hides from the world.

...for he'd built himself a perfect cage of stone and soil and celluloid.

I really
Anne Boleyn's Ghost
A Beauty and the Beast retelling set amid the intrigue and drama of Bollywood? Check.
A secondary m/m storyline guaranteed to tug on your heartstrings (and if doesn’t, I’m not entirely convinced that you have a heart)? Check.
Lush and gorgeous writing? Check.
Vibrantly drawn characters? Check.

Despite all that, Bollywood and the Beast wasn’t a smash success for me. Because of the pacing and the overall evolution I’m giving it 3.5 stars, but I'm rounding up for the quality writing (and if Goodreads
Taryn
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you’ve avoided novellas because you think they will be underdeveloped, you should pick up Bollywood and the Beast and see what’s possible in under 200 pages. Suleikha Snyder has clearly mastered the form, as this novella boasts a secondary romance between two side characters in addition to the central relationship. Rocky is an American born Bollywood actress who is treated as an outsider in the business, a status which she solidifies by speaking a little too honestly in an interview. When she ...more
SmartBitches
Full review at Smart Bitches, Trashy Books

Bollywood and the Beast by Suleikha Snyder caused me to pull a Bad Decisions Book Club moment at RT…does that mean I leveled up? Is that the Bad-Ass Decisions Book Club? So many questions.

As you may have guessed from the title, Bollywood and the Beast is a Beauty and the Beast story set in Bollywood–but it’s so much more than that. It’s a book about a bi-racial heroine not feeling accepted by any cultural identity, and it has a delicious May/December m/m
Amy Cousins
I'm a Bollywood fan and this mashup of Bolly and the classic fairytale was right up my alley. I loved all the callouts to the Beauty and the Beast. They made me smile, as did the subplot about the hero's brother, for whom I wish a long and happy romance of his own, eventually. Mostly I wallowed in "the beast's" dilapidated castle, his glorious gardens, and his library. Good fun. :)
Vendela
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant romance novel, and bonus queer secondary romance. I loved this so much.
Fangirl Musings
DOWN & DIRTY QUICKIE REVIEW!

One Sentence Summary:

An Indian-American Bollywood actress hides from the press at her co-star’s brother’s mansion; said bro is a partially scared but full on grumpy bear.

Name That Trope:

* Beauty/Beast Retelling
* Weak Romance, STRONG BOOK
* Dat Diversity, Tho!
* Secondary May/December M/M ship MAKING YA FEEL FEELS
* So Much Woke Shade Throwing
* Toto, I've A Feeling We're Not In Kansas Anymore Cause We In India!

What part made ya fangirl squeal?

The 23,182 times this
Crystal
Bollywood and the Beast was an enjoyably dark and romantic read. Anything derived from the Beautiy and the Beast fairy tale intrigues me, as does anything Indian and Bollywood, and this story did not disppoint. From the inescapable heat between Rocky and Taj, to the slow and subtle but incredibly strong passion of the secondary romance, this was a sweet, fascinating, engaging book, set in a world that is not familiar to me. I actually found the secondary romance (which I'm not describing at all, ...more
Pili
May 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a while to feel the connection and chemistry between the main characters and to like an connect with Taj, but I adored Rakhee from the very beginning and how she was sure of who she was and how she tried to be true to herself and respectful of those around her without letting them cower her.

I'm still a bit torn between 3 and 4 stars so I'm leaving it as a 3.5 stars.
Solace Ames
Feb 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full disclosure: I'm a friend of the author. I've also reviewed the first two Bollywood Confidential books under my old pen name. I love these damn books. My only complaint is that she doesn't write them fast enough!

If you're coming into these without having read the first two, that's fine, it's more or less stand-alone, and you can always go and backfill. All of these stories are told in a high-intensity, high-drama language with gorgeous prose, and feature a main relationship plus an
Oscario
First, I have to confess : I am a Suleikha Snyder fanboy.
I read her books. I read her blog. I follow her on Twitter. Yes. I'm that kind of guy. And you should be as well. This woman has things to teach you in terms of POC, open-mindedness, and hot guys.

That being said, having a shrine for my Snydeity won't prevent me from putting things into perspective.

Basically the Bollywood Confidential series is about Bollywood, strong female characters, some LGBT storylines, and kinky sex, all wrapped up
Anoia
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know any think about Bollywood outside of a few clips I've watched, but I have liked what I've seen. On the flip side, I am specious of retellings of fairy tales as there are so many, and so many that have gone horribly wrong. Add to that, Beauty and the Beast has to be one of my least liked stories for many reasons.

All that said, I really liked this book.
It owns the Beauty and Beast connection upfront, the characters referencing it with derision on the part of the 'beauty' Rakhee “Rocky
K. Lincoln
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars, actually.

I wanted to like this one so much, it would have taken very little to please me: Bollywood? Beauty & the Beast retelling? Biracial/Bicultural desi heroine who doesn't shy away from calling out racial and cultural issues she's facing as an actress? Love. All of that is exactly my cup of tea.

This book wasn't quite my cup of tea, however. I've been thinking about the problem and I think it has to do with my expectations of how much time we spend with the hero and the heroine
Min
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
this book was all tell and no show. if you are one of those weirdos who actually likes seeing the main characters interact with each other and seeing the relationship develop, this book is not for you. it starts off great with our h Rocky dealing with some mean girls, but then the two main characters meet and it's downhill from there.

it's a Beauty and the Beast theme, so ofc the first meeting between Rocky and Taj doesn't end on friendly terms. then the book just fast forwards several wks where
Nayab
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Bollywood and the Beast is GLORIOUS. It has desi rep, LGBTQIA+ rep and just really likeable characters overall.

The romance (if you can call it that, it seemed more like lust to me, to be honest) moved too fast for me. Taj went from complete dislike of Rakhee to wanting her/loving her in the space of a few chapters. The way the story had been until that point, I expected it to be more of a slow burn. I wanted it to be more… Bollywood I guess, in it’s lead up to romance… Stolen glances, the
Sara
Feb 08, 2018 rated it liked it
I loved parts of this book. I loved Rocky & Taj and Ashu & Kamal. I loved the Beauty & the Beast premise and the peek into Bollywood. I loved the relationships. I loved reading from the Indian point of view - its differences from my own made the sauce richer, even if the Hindi & Urdu sprinkled so generously made it difficult to to fully understand at times.

But I wanted more of all of it. Interestingly we come to know Ashraf, nominally a secondary character, the best, since he’s
Liz B
First half, 4 stars! Hugely fun and emotional.

Second half, 2 stars. Mehhhhhhhh.

I wanted to LOVE this book. I love modern-day fairy tale retellings, and I love and want to support diversity in romance--authors, settings, characters. Unfortunately, this book didn't deliver and I am unlikely to read more by this author.

The beginning was great--excellent quick reveal of characters, lots of conflict, and great sexy tension between the heroine (Rocky/ Rakhee, Indian-American Bollywood star) and the
Megan
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Beauty and the beast with a Bollywood twist? Obviously I loved this one! It had a bit of a slow start, but those parts set up such a great subplot for Taj's brother Ashraf that I don't mind at all. Threads of that subplot definitely started in the previous book, but I think those pieces were very tangential, I picked up on what was needed for this book right away. Anyway, this was a really good balance of angst and common sense, as in no one was angsting unnecessarily or to a point where they ...more
Jojo
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
So characters would be talking to each other and I'd be like, 'Wait, did I miss that something had changed in their relationship?' and flip back to find that nope. Any change must have happened off the page. Super frustrating! I couldn't connect very well with the characters or their relationships because I felt like so much was missing from the story. The main romance because I just never saw why they would like each other and the secondary because it kind of came out of nowhere (although I ...more
Claire
Started off not sure how I felt about the book - I liked the premise and the characters, but I felt like everything was happening very quickly, and that I was missing information from the start of these people's lives. Taj and Rocky go from mutual dislike to attraction and kissing in the garden pretty quickly, and I wasn't expecting the amount of Hindi dialogue that was present. Around the halfway point of the book, the secondary plot picks up steam, and the main characters have settled into ...more
Coral
*SBTB Quarterly Challenge - June 4. Juneteenth: Read a diverse romance.
Best Picture Challenge - Slumdog Millionaire: Read a contemporary romance set outside of the U.S*
3.5 stars. This was very soapy, but that worked for it, for the most part. I liked the gruff hero. He could teach Mr Darcy about brooding. But he did have a good heart. I liked the plucky heroine too. But again, other than a sexual connection I didn't really get their romance.
The secondary romance was a nice surprise. I could have
Psycgirl
Mar 02, 2018 rated it liked it
This was sweet beauty and the beast adaption. I loved that it was set in India and Bollywood. I felt that the primary romance didn’t get as much space as there was a lot of attention paid to the hero’s brother’s story. Now the brother’s story was really interesting and in the end beautiful, but I wished it was its own book. It really took my attention away from Rocky and Taj. Otherwise great story.
Shonnie
Nov 26, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not what I thought

I saw Bollywood and thought it would be like Indireads. Not quite however, I liked the main hero and heroine. The side story took away from the development of the main two characters. I kept reading thinking I was missing something or the author would tell me later (which didn't happen). Another reviewer said pieces of the story happened off the pages, I agree.
Michelle
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I usually like this author, but this title wasn't for me.

Maybe I wasn't in the mood but I just couldn't get in to the book. I just got tired of the storyline distressing from the main couple into the thoughts of the brother. It may have been better if the plot was more streamlined.
Miriam Woods
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Enjoyed the read. Complex back stories, some of which were less satisfying and some relationships or roles (like the grandmother) were unrealistically unexplored - an Indian grandmother with two young man in her house would surely intervene a bit more, at least in a romance novel... but overall still recommended.
Chris
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a sweet take on the Beauty and the Beast trope. My first Bollywood book. I had some trouble with the Hindi and Urdu, but the author smoothly integrated the English translations. This was definitely worth another night of The Bad Decisions Book Club.
Melissa
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this one. It deals with a lot of heavy topics, but the characters always felt like real people, and not representatives of a trait. I really liked that there were two romantic arcs going simultaneously and that the heroine was central to both.
Annie
Jan 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Perhaps I was unprepared for this one. It's fairly graphic with angsty characters. The heroine was interesting to try to understand, a bi-cultural, bi-racial actress in India. But, I just didn't like the folks here very much.
Jessi
Aug 02, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the setting and cultural immersion but the characters didn't ring quite true for me. I felt a bit scattered in several parts of the books and struggled to emotionally connect with the story.
Heather
Feb 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
This book was BONKERS and appears to be the last in this series... I have no interest in reading more of them. The secondary story here was more compelling and apparently does NOT get its own book later so.... pass.

• Can't Escape Love (Reluctant Royals, #2.6)
  • Hurts to Love You (Forbidden Hearts, #3)
  • Mangos and Mistletoe
  • Wrong to Need You (Forbidden Hearts, #2)
  • Making Up (London Celebrities, #3)
  • My Fake Rake (Union of the Rakes, #1)
  • The Austen Playbook (London Celebrities, #4)
  • Not Another Family Wedding (Chin-Williams, #1)
  • Once Ghosted, Twice Shy (Reluctant Royals, #2.5)
  • Playing House (Uptown, #1)
  • Hate to Want You (Forbidden Hearts, #1)
  • A Girl Like Her (Ravenswood, #1)
  • Headliners (London Celebrities, #5)
  • Love Lettering
  • Mrs. Martin’s Incomparable Adventure (The Worth Saga, #2.75)
  • Mating the Huntress
  • Destiny's Embrace (Destiny, #1)
  • The Right Swipe (Modern Love, #1)
Editor, writer, American desi and lifelong geek Suleikha Snyder is an author of contemporary and erotic romance. A passionate advocate for diversity and inclusivity in publishing, Suleikha is frequently ranting when she should really be adding to her body of work.

Suleikha lives in Chicago, finding inspiration in genre fiction, daytime and primetime soaps, and anything that involves chocolate or

Bollywood Confidential (3 books)
  • Spice and Smoke (Bollywood Confidential, #1)
  • Spice and Secrets (Bollywood Confidential, #2)