Start by marking “Azrael” as Want to Read:
Azrael

Azrael

(Detective Allira Rose #1)

Bronze medal winner - 2018 Independent Publisher Book Awards - Suspense/Thriller category.

Emily thought her ordeal was over after she escaped a brutal kidnapping. She’s wrong. He’s coming for her again.

The body Detective Rose is looking at bears a striking resemblance to Emily, a woman who survived a horrific, sexually motivated abduction five years ago. Her fear is
Paperback, First Edition, 345 pages
Published April 30th 2017 by M.T. Ellis

To ask other readers questions about Azrael, please sign up.
M.T. Ellis Hi Michael, thanks for taking the time to read my novel! I'm not sure why I ended it the way I did. I wanted to keep things unexpected and leave the…moreHi Michael, thanks for taking the time to read my novel! I'm not sure why I ended it the way I did. I wanted to keep things unexpected and leave the reader thinking about the characters after they had finished reading their story.(less)

Start your review of Azrael
Donna
Aug 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Azrael means Angel of Death.

In the prologue, a young woman, Emily, is abducted and taken to a remote area where Azrael intends to rape and kill her. She hits him with a rock and manages to run and flag down help. He learned a lesson from this first victim and resolved to do better in the future.

Five years later, Azrael kidnaps Grace and squirrels her away on property he inherited from his grandparents. Emily has written a book about her experiences which brings her back into Azrael's radar.
Rebecca McNutt
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Azrael is an interesting title. Azrael is the Angel of Death... so I guess you already might have a good idea of how disturbing this book is. There were some parts of it that were very graphic to the point where it was too unpleasant to read, but it's an amazing and original crime thriller deeply immersed in psychology and the mindset of a dangerous abductor.
Cheryl
Sep 10, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked this book. It has a dark side, which is just how I enjoy mystery/suspense books. Another reader mentioned that some parts were graphic in nature. I didn't really feel like the scenes were that graphic. The majority of readers would be fine with reading this book.

While, I mentioned that I liked this book for the dark edge it brought; I had some problems connecting with the characters. Yes, the situation that Emily and Grace found themselves in was horrible but I found myself not fighting
Christine
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
WOW - just finished reading this book. Absolutely brilliant. Could not put it down. I have read all of James Pattersons books and a number of other authors that write crime/fiction. Looking forward to the next one that's for sure. Well done M.T. Ellis - will be highly recommending this book
David Brown
This book was excellent until it reached the climax. Then it completely fell apart.

Over 9 months we had been watching a young man distraught from having his girl friend abducted. He would apparently stop at nothing to find her. Then, he is searching the property where he is sure she is being held and, after a minor setback, he decides to take an hour drive home and return in the morning. Completely out of character.

Then the police are unable to find a bungalow that has existed on the property
Shelly
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Being kidnapped once is more than any person should ever experience. Twice is downright evil. Now another woman is missing and the pure torture and violence behind the kidnapper's intentions are chilling. Psychologically, this is a horrifying tale that will have you jumping at the next story you hear on the news. They will begin to hit too close to home. The characters are deep and complex while the storyline is full of twists that have you questioning the unknown world around us. It's dark, ...more
Jillian Higham
Disappointing and poorly plotted

I've never come across a more inept pair of police officers as Detective Allira Rose and her useless sidekick. All they seemed capable of was looking at CCCTV footage, there was basically no other investigation. I chose the book because it was based in Queensland, but was really disappointed. This is Australia, since Lindy Chamberlain we don't have gutter press like London, just not believable. The end of the book with the birth scene was also unbelievable.
Tobyann Aparisi
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won this book on Goodreads (Kindle version) for an honest review.

This is a riveting, scary book. The story is upsetting and horrific, yet makes for an excellent detective story. The characters are wonderfully written and the scenery is richly described. I found myself completely immersed in this story and glued to each and every page in anticipation for what is to come next. I highly recommend this book to anyone that likes a well written mystery with a lot of action and some darkness.
Stephen J. Murphy
Edit Required

This was introduced as a Lilla Rose mystery. Very little Rose was in it. Several contradictions were unexplained. The characters were strong and the writing descriptive. A brutal story that opined that abused children grow up to be abusers and killers. Really? Not necessarily, but it explains the motivation of the main character. Worthwhile reading, especially the ending which suggests that abuse and killing are hereditary!
Robert C. smith
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tear-Jerking, Heart-Tugging Excitement!

Ellis' story development reads like a seasoned writer of diverse experience, creating realistically scary scenes and characters! Once begun, this story is difficult to stop, even late at night with a full work schedule awaiting next day. Now, if only Ellis will write some adventure stories about Opal and Zeus!
Pamela Holmes
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
GREAT READ

The 1st chapter of the book had me hooked. How evil a man can be is unfortunate. The book kept me hooked and I found myself cheering for the victims. I hate that the bad guy didn’t get what he deserved. This is a book worth reading and you will not be disappointed. Cheers for the characters and the author.
Fartbomb
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Holy moly. I don't usually read books this quickly but I got through it within a few days. I enjoyed the Brisbane location points and being familiar with the language. I found myself laughing especially the page where he was in the Chinese family's house. A easy read despite the heavy topic, great writing. Brilliant job, looking forward to cracking on the next one.

P.S Yeah Luke shut up :p
Thomas Lennek
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in Australia, fast paced, truly evil abductor of women gets away with multiple murders. Husband of latest victim is prime suspect provides information to detectives and works to find his wife and free her. Twisty ending.
julee richard
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exciting

I thought the book was written very well. It held my attention the whole way. I was disappointed that Emily died and Grace died after giving birth but the ending made me happy.
Robert Romalia
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rough and brutal

One can tell the debut of inexperienced writers. The scenes are slam bang and get to the point too quickly. A good mystery for abduction and sleuthing. Very blunt and not for the squeamish.
Mary
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thriller

OMG...This is one exciting book and not for the faint of heart. The main character Azrael is just plain evil! Follow Detective Rose Allira as she looks for a kidnapping victim and while searching another woman goes missing. Can Azrael be stopped?
Kathleen Quinn
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A chilling mystery

This book will keep your interest from beginning to end. Two women are abducted by a rapist as the detectives race to find them. Action packed but scary at the same time. Good author.
Rachel Jay
Good book for a flight. But the characters were kinda flat. I didnt get emotionally invested in any of them. At the same time, it was still entertaining. I think I downloaded it for free thru Bookbub.
Steve Hall
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Msg. Ellis has the knack !

This book grabs you and won't let go. The parts written from the victims' perspective are particularly compelling. This far exceeds my expectations for a first novel.
Carolyn Swafford
Tension Filled

I started this book in the afternoon and could not put it down until the last page had been read. Good background accompanies the main characters so that their actions are better understood. The ending will have the reader yearning for the next book in this series.
Dewey Carroll Brackett
Really bad guy!

I could not believe some of the things this guy did. He didn't have any good qualities at all. I hated it had to end the way it did. Similarities have happened in the news recently.
Emma
Jan 02, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Oh dear what a waste of time. An easy read for traveling but otherwise forget it. So flat and talk about spelling out the bleeding obvious. Cliched and clunky.
Patricia Mccammon
Aug 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
Won this in a Goodreads Giveaway. First time for this author. A little too graphic for my taste. Too much time describing the multiple rapes.
Rachel
Oct 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good plot but slow.

Good plot but slow. Ending seemed like there was no where else to go but ending. Overall I would recommend but this is not a book I would read twice.
Lori
Sep 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, solid crime thriller, with just a twist more sadism the; most.

Some parts felt like they were rushed and wouldn’t really happen in real life, but then it’s fiction isn’t it?
Sandra Rogalevs
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was an awesome read. Thrilling, heart in throat and on the edge of my seat. A must read for lovers of crime novels. With a cliff hanger that makes me excited for the sequel!
Brie McGirr Proofreading
A haunting read!
Larry W McClanahan
Good read

Kept my interest

Agreed with Ethan about the reporters. Felt Derive Ross's frustration. Happy she and Ethan bonded with the baby an

Hard to putdown.
Deena Scintilla
A good psychological thriller that is far more gory than most.
William
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Australian setting but rather mediocre.

• Forgotten Crimes
  • Blackwaters (Kate Reid #4)
  • Sorrowful Road (Allan Stanton, #3)
  • The Beauty of Bucharest (A Clean Up Crew Thriller #1)
  • The Butterfly Forest (Sean O'Brien, #3)
  • Before Sunrise
  • Suitcase Girl (Abby Kane FBI Thriller #7; Suitcase Girl Trilogy #1)
  • Wrong Place (D.I Sally Parker, #1)
  • Summer Storm (Seasons Pass Book 3)
  • A Penny For Her Heart (Detective Rachel Storme, #3)
  • Romeo's Rules (Mike Romeo #1)
  • Next Exit, Three Miles (Exit, #1)
  • Flash Drive
  • Ruthless (The Blackwell Files, #2)
  • The Breathtaker
  • Wired Rogue (Paradise Crime, #2)
  • A Hard Place (Chauncey Means Thriller)
  • A Man Walks Into A Hardware Store
M.T. Ellis was shortlisted in the Australian Writers' Centre Furious Fiction competition. Her debut crime thriller, Azrael, won a Bronze medal in the 2018 Independent Publisher Book Awards. She is also a freelance feature writer. http://amzn.to/2hwbdIo

Detective Allira Rose (2 books)
  • Dollhouse