Start by marking “Magicians' Rivalry (Spellsmith & Carver #1)” as Want to Read:
Magicians' Rivalry (Spellsmith & Carver #1)

Magicians' Rivalry

(Spellsmith & Carver #1)

The disappearance of Auric Spellsmith’s mother has strained his relationship with his father to the breaking point. Now, after five years away at the Magicians’ Academy, Auric returns home, determined to prove himself to his father and claim his birthright.

Apprentice Jericho Carver has he
Published May 6th 2017 by Amazon Digital Services

To ask other readers questions about Magicians' Rivalry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Magicians' Rivalry

Start your review of Magicians' Rivalry (Spellsmith & Carver #1)
Veronica Lynn
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
SPELLSMITH AND CARVER is an absolute masterpiece!
Author H.L. Burke displays J.K Rowling worthy creativity and pairs it with Jane Austen worthy wit and wisdom like that of C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien, all while maintaining her own wonderfully unique voice.

This is a story like none I have ever read before and is one I will read over and over again.

Women will relate to the lead female.
Powerful, clever, beautiful and virtuous Rill skillfully holds her own amidst two dynamic male heroes.
Men will re
Deborah O'Carroll
I only this year discovered H. L. Burke’s books, and quickly became addicted to them—this one is my favorite yet! In fact, it’s one of my favorites I’ve read this year. <3 (It’s taken me awhile to review it because HOW do I sum up my love for this thing?)

This book has everything you need for a book to be an awesome favorite! It’s a buddy story (more on that in a minute), and to add on top of that, not only is it a buddy story, but it’s a MAGICAL buddy story, in a Faerie world, with a dash of ste
Kyle
Those familiar with H.L. Burke’s writings know that she is the female Brandon Sanderson of the indie publishing world. Like him, she has a gift for crafting deep and detailed storyworlds with brilliant magic systems. Fortunately for her fans, her books are released more quickly than Sanderson’s. Also, they’re funnier. (Sorry, Brandon.)
The excellent Spellsmith and Carver series delivers everything Burke’s readers have come to expect from her books, and more besides. I’m a little late to the party
Kellyn Roth
Beta-read. Eventually I may buy a copy and write a review of the finished book. :)

Read-through #2: DNF'ed because ADD. I guess. xD
Kara
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: got-review-copy
The story starts out a little slow and somewhat intense, but the way it develops along the way is truly magical. The foremost thought I had for half the story was, who will break Rill's heart the most out of Jericho, her father and Auric? Turns out, the story goes even deeper than I expected and it had me captivated by the end!

I trusted Auric the most of the three men since the story starts with him coming home and facing more changes than he expected. Him and his father do not get along and Ril
Allie May
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is full of action, gripping you from start to finish. It’s impossible to put down. Every character is lovable, which makes it hard to pick a side when you have to choose between Jericho and Auric. The imagination that H. L. shows in these captivating worlds she creates is truly inspiring. I can’t wait to see what trouble the characters get into next!
Kristen Stieffel
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous Story

Engaging characters, fascinating plot, and plenty of thrills. Also a healthy dose of romance, which I love in a story. The magic system is inventive; I’ve never seen one like it. Unexpected turns, seemingly impossible problems, creative solutions, and a happy ending. Totally satisfying. I am utterly delighted with this book and can’t wait to read more!
Sean Patrick
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a very interesting approach to Magic and Politics as well as familial dynamics. The book consists of several intermixed story arcs, two of the more interesting ones are the differences between Human and Fey Magic. The characters while interesting to me they could use a bit more depth. They are not quite 3D to me. however, the interplay between the characters is very interesting. One of the more interesting characters to me was a 'fox'. I can't say any more about that character as I don't ...more
Laurie Lucking
Apr 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was such a fun read! The family dynamics and rivalry were easy to relate to, and a perfect setting for the witty banter Burke has perfected. Every plot twist came at just the right time to take the story in a new direction, and the resolution at the end was very satisfying. I also really enjoyed the author's world-building, the system of magic and Fey Lands were fascinating to learn about. And each character was quirky and delightful in his or her own way. Fans of books such as Jonatha ...more
Madeline Rose
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Initial Response
Magic is cool. I want to learn how to write it. Where do I go. Sign me up.

High Lights
- WHERE TO BEGIN.
- Auric is so snarky and hilarious and just an all-around delightful character. Even though he's a bit grumpy, I still love him.
- Jericho...Jericho. He's partially a jerk, but also the sweetest thing ever. (view spoiler)
- Rill is my favorite. She can kick butt (view spoiler)
K.M. Carroll
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this book, or more like I demanded an ARC of this book. I had to know what a book was like where everybody has to carve their spells into wood, or wax, or cloth, or some other textile. Kind of like the Paper Magician, only not just paper.

The magic in this book is treated like programming, which made my withered coder's heart rejoice. It's all very logical. The plot is straightforward--humans only have magic because they suck it through dimensions from the Fey realm. When the
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, steampunkery
I'm pretty sure the moral of this story is "communication is important"- by which I mean that a great deal of the conflict in this book could've been prevented by one good, honest conversation. Then again, most of conflict in reality could also be prevented by one good, honest conversation, so I can't really complain. The characters took a while to warm up to, and for a while I thought this would only be a three-star read, but in the end, character interactions and the creativity of the world an ...more
William Stuart
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Spellsmith and Carver: Magician’s Rivalry showed up in my Amazon recommendations recently. After reading the blurb, and discovering the author is a military spouse, I added it to my TBR list. Read on for my thoughts!

Synopsis (from the author): An estranged son. An adopted heir. A magical attack that forces them to work together.

Beth Wangler
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the creative mix of different kinds of fantasy in this story. It was a pleasant read with a fun magic system based on writing (as an author myself, I loved that). I liked the relationships that the author build into the story, even if something about Jericho didn't quite draw me in the way I expected. The world on the other side of the portal was so cool, and I loved the topsy-turvey laws of "nature" there. Until one moment at the very end, I did not feel like the stakes were ve ...more
R.J.
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm an avid read of all of H.L. Burke's books, and jumped eagerly at this new one.
While the book slowed down a bit in Fey Land, as that's not my preferred genre - I like things set in the real world, more or less - it was still a fun read.
Burke's strength lies in her deep, developed characters, and she doesn't disappoint with this new cast.
New adult, vs. her usual YA fare, so expect the characters to be older and a little bit more raw - in a good way!
Katy
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-keepers
4.5 stars for a fast-paced, fascinating story of rivalry and loyalty with several interesting plot twists. The main characters are thoughtfully rendered and wonderfully human (or not quite human). I liked the way magic spells were done in this universe as well as the concept of rifts between worlds, and the growth of the main characters is believable and fun to watch. The pivotal scene near the end is brilliant. Recommended for fans of magical fantasy with a dash of romance.
E.B. Dawson
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: indie-authors
An imaginative, adventurous tale. The story was well written, with solid prose and good pacing. But for some reason, I didn't connect with a single character and so it was difficult to fully enjoy it. I also found a couple aspects of the magical system to be just a little too convenient. It does have a lot of elements to enjoy for those who love YA. ...more
jospeh jack
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
AN AWESOME STORY , VERY EXCITING AND FUN!😍

So well written and a superb adventure that captivates the reader sweeping the grownup away. Bringing out a childlike spirit and imagination! 😍BUY THIS BOOK NOW!w
Sarah White
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fast-paced, enjoyable read with memorable characters and a fun magic system. Looking forward to picking up the sequels!
Coco.V
Jan 13, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
🎁 Books 1 & 2 in the Series are FREE on Amazon today (1/13/2020)! 🎁
Christina Morley
Apr 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Magicians' Rivalry is Book 1 in the Spellsmith & Carver trilogy by H.L. Burke. This is an exciting fantasy adventure with snark. There's rivalry between the two magicians, Auric Spellsmith and Jericho Carver. They must reach deep inside to find the courage and creative solutions they need to do the impossible. There's a small romantic element, but it's definitely not a romance. It's more of a bromance, as the two magicians work together to save the people they love.

I've been listening to the aud
Claire Banschbach
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Apparently I didn't review this book like I thought I did, so almost two months after reading, I shall make an attempt.

Gaslight/steampunk fantasy is quickly becoming a favorite subgenere of mine, and I think I'm going to blame that on HL Burke. She makes such intricate and neatly detailed worlds along with relatable characters and some amazing humor.

Auric and Jericho probably couldn't be more different, and they're determined to hate each other in the beginning. But after being forced to work t
Kat Heckenbach
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Oh, this was a fun little book! Not heart-pounding action or gut-wrenching emotion, but it's just a down-right good story with likable characters and one of the coolest magic systems I've found. (If you're a fan of The Rithmatist this is a good bet for you.) Definitely looking forward to reading more books in this series.

My Website
book 3
Legacy Rewound (Toch Island Chronicles, #3) by Kat Heckenbach
C.O. Bonham
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved it! This book has everything! Snark, wit, conflict, magic, even a romance. Spellsmith and Carver: Magician's Rivalry, proves to be the first book in what is sure to be an exciting series.

When Auric Spellsmith returns home from his education in the capital, the last thing he expects is to learn that his father has taken an apprentice. The family business was meant to be his. This Jericho has to go.

The rivalry starts off strong with Jericho determined that some prodigal son will not kick h
Sarah Briel
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, to-own
3.5 stars.
Honestly, this H.L. Burke book was a slight disappointment to me, and I'm not even sure why ...

I liked the book for the most part. I'm not really a fantasy lover and this was incredibly fantasy, but I actually kind of liked the setting. As always, H.L.'s writing style is easy to read, and has a very nice balance of action, dialog, and descriptions, which probably made the fantasy setting easier for me (as ... I think quite a bit of why I don't love it as a genre is has something to do
Julie
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
An appealing and fun book about two young men who both want more or less the same thing - an inheritance of great worth, from the same man. They are not brothers, but each hopes for the prize.

This is a great read for young and old alike, a book about magic and fantasy. Set in the countryside, where a young man, Auric, returns from the city after 4 years away in the Capital being trained by the Magicians of the Republic. Jericho, a local boy, has been apprenticed to Auric's father in his absence
Nina DuBois
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was so much fun to read. Magicians' Rivalry is an adventurous and magical read. I loved all the magic, spells, barriers, and talk of Fae. This book has some interesting twists and very likable characters.

Magicians' Rivalry follows Auric as he returns home from magic school to work alongside his faher in his shop that he would soon take over. But upon his return he learns that his father has taken up an apprentice in his absence and feels threatened that his rightful birthright may be t
Heather Hayden
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love Burke's stories and this was the first book of hers I bought in paperback straight off! Couldn't wait to see what plans she had for a magician-centered story and I was certainly not disappointed.

Auric and Jericho butt heads right from the get-go. Jericho was actually my favorite of the two for most of the story, simply because Auric's general better-than-you attitude makes me want to slap him a few times. Auric did grow on me as the story progressed, though, and I loved watching the boys'
Sharon Hughson
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This hard-to-put-down fantasy melds an Old West society that depends on magic to fuel technology (rather than invention). It earns a solid 4.7 out of five stars from me.
The characters are engaging. Burke has an excellent grasp of using dialogue for characterization. The plot is an interesting twist of inter-realm dependency and travel versus the half-fae savior of the world.
While I didn't guess every twist (kudos to the author for that), I did shake my head at some of the harrowing escapes and a
Hannah
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Magicians’ Rivalry is a fun read. Burke’s descriptions are lovely and her characters are both lovable and believably exasperating.

One of my favorite aspects of Magicians’ Rivalry was the blend of realistic relationships in a fantastic setting. As Auric and Jericho go head to head in their stubborn attempts to prove themselves the more capable man and magician, I found myself empathizing with Rill’s affection for and frustration with both of them. Rather than rooting strongly for one of them to
« previous 1 3 next »

• Horseman (Crockett and Crane #1)
  • The Centaur Express (A Crockett and Crane Short Story)
  • Christmas in Talesend (Beaumont and Beasley Case Files, #2)
  • The Fourth Musketeer, Part 1 (A Blackfire Story)
  • Couplehood
  • Pony Express Christmas Bride (Saddles and Spurs #3)
  • A Christmas Carol (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • SEAL Under Siege (Men of Valor #2)
  • Navy SEAL Noel (Men of Valor #3)
  • Once Upon a Christmas: Inspirational Romance (The Christmas Card Series)
  • Dare (The Blades of Acktar, #1)
  • A New Keeper (The Secret Library, #1)
  • Caffeinated Calamity (A Two Broomsticks Gas & Grill Witch Cozy Mystery, #2)
  • Magically Missing: A Witch Cozy Mystery (Paranormal Bed & Breakfast Mysteries Book 3)
  • Write Your Novel From the Middle: A New Approach for Plotters, Pantsers and Everyone in Between
  • His Truth Is Marching on: John Lewis and the Power of Hope
  • Met By Midnight
  • Only The Strong (A Death Gate Grim Reapers Thriller, #5)
Born in a small town in north central Oregon, H. L. Burke spent most of her childhood around trees and farm animals and was always accompanied by a book. Growing up with epic heroes from Middle Earth and Narnia keeping her company, she also became an incurable romantic.

An addictive personality, she jumped from one fandom to another, being at times completely obsessed with various books, movies, o

Spellsmith & Carver (3 books)
  • Magicians' Trial (Spellsmith & Carver #2)
  • Magicians' Reckoning (Spellsmith & Carver, #3)

News & Interviews