Start by marking “I, Krishnadevaraya” as Want to Read:
I, Krishnadevaraya

I, Krishnadevaraya

I, Krishnadevaraya is a translation of the famous Tamil novel Naan Krishnadevarayan by Ra. Ki. Rangarajan. The Tamil actor Kamal Hassan suggested that Ra. Ki. translate I, Claudius by Robert Graves into Tamil. Instead, Ra. Ki. decided to present a first-person narrative of the story of Krishnadevaraya, the emperor of Vijayanagar.
Ra. Ki.’s hero is like any other young man
Published March 20th 2017 by Westland/Mysticswrite

To ask other readers questions about I, Krishnadevaraya, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I, Krishnadevaraya

Start your review of I, Krishnadevaraya
Ashish Iyer
What a lovely book.
The author Ra. Ki. Rangarajan wrote this book to present a first person narrative of the story Krishnadevaraya, the emperor of Vijaynagar. This the first time a historical in tamil has been told in the first person.
Krishnadevaraya was a genius, a king who never defeat. His contributions to religion, culture, to country's progress and to economic development are immense. Many Foreigners have give glowing accounts of his reign. The temple towers of Hampi, Kanchipuram and
Saraswathi Sambasivan
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book intrigued me the moment I set my eyes on it at the bookstore. I know little about Krishnadevaraya, other than the fact that he was the most important emperor in the Vijayanagar empire. He just remained the man with a hearty laugh in most of Tenali Raman's stories I read. It was an opportunity to learn more about him. That alone, compelled me to get the book and start reading it ahead of many other books I have to read!

As the title suggests, it is a first person account of the emperor,
Vinay Keerthi
Jan 29, 2018 rated it did not like it
There is only so much that a person who hasn't visited Hampi can write about one of its most famous sons. I feel that this book lacks exactly the qualities it would have gained if the writer, a South Indian, had attempted to go to Hampi to look at the temples he tried to describe.

I came across this book in my attempt to research the origins and the history of Pampakshetre for writing a book about the Rayas, and I was concerned that there was already a book written about Krishnadevaraya with a
Varun Nayak
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not a fan of historical fiction, but liked this book, perhaps because it is based on the life of one of my favorite Indian emperors - Krishnadeva Raya of Vijaynagar and his undying love for Chinnadevi.

The first person narrative (Krishnadevaraya speaks to the readers) was interesting; the focus is on Tamil and modern day Tamil Nadu, which is amusing since the emperors of Hampi preferred Kannada and Telugu. However, you need to give it to the author since the book was originally written in Tamil.
San
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting book, the main story line is love. Krishnadevaraya's love for Chinnadevi and he reuniting with her. The narration, the stream of his consciousness dominates the historical references makes it interesting read without attempting to make a dent on the great Emperor Krishnadevaraya himself.

Jeevan
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent book. I did not know the even great emperors had questions about their actions.
Babu Gandhi
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Listening to a story from first person is interesting. But when that story is being told by a great king, its fantastic. Language is very simple and it was awesome to read.
Namratha
A tamil-translated historical about a legendary Telugu/Kannada king told from the perspective of the king himself. This book had great potential and since I have a deep and abiding penchant for larger-than life kings with their hearts in the right places, it seemed like the perfect read for my post-Baahubali slump and for my Mangalore trip.

However, I can't say that I loved the narrative of Emperor Krishnadevaraya. I know the author wanted us to have a peek into the man within the king but the
Ashwin
Apr 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe I should read it in Tamil, I feel the book lacks a certain depth.
Sushma
Feb 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Being a Telugu speaking person, I was so excited about my first book on one of the greatest kings about whom my mother fondly spoke about.

I, Krishnadevaraya is a translated version of a tamil novel by name "Naan Krishnadevarayan" by Ra. Ki. Rangarajan. Emperor Krishnadevaraya belongs to Vijayanagar Dynasty. He ruled for a short span from 1509 to 1529 and the dynasty prospered under his rule. I was looking for more insights than what our regular history books offered. But this book isn't the
Naveen Kumar
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
The book starts with great premises but later on meanders into Hindu bashing without any substance.reference is made of sati and devadasi without any relevance and without any facts.if one wants to read it as a fiction , it is ok.at best mediocre
saket parab
Mar 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Just Okay.

It's a good read. I'm not a fan of historical fiction but this was a comparatively short read to give me an insight on Krishna Devaraya.
Moonna Aahir
Oct 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Good but could be better

Good but could be better,
Is gayatri fictitious character? Chinna devi chinna devi chinna devi, huh, huh huh, humm, humm
Jagadeesh Rampam
As much I enjoyed reading the entire book, the beginning and endings were not really impressive! In other words, it was like watching a old Tamil/Telugu movie. With all due respects for the author, couldn't appreciate POV storytelling of a (famous) historian with a love story!
Kvayyar
Sep 29, 2017
Audrin Lenin
Nov 16, 2019
R.Palani Kumar
rated it did not like it
Oct 01, 2018
Akila
Nov 10, 2017
K
Dec 05, 2018
Kanchan
Oct 23, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Tree Bears Witness (Birbal, #2)
  • Rebel Sultans: The Deccan from Khilji to Shivaji
  • Raavan: Enemy of Aryavarta (Ram Chandra #3)
  • Cow and Company
  • Raja Bhoja (596)
  • Sita: Warrior of Mithila (Ram Chandra #2)
  • Quirky Tales - A Collection of Three Short Stories
  • Durgesh Nandini
  • Ek Shiyalo Baraf Ma (Gujarati)
  • Scion of Ikshvaku (Ram Chandra #1)
  • Malavika
  • Short Stories from Hogwarts of Heroism, Hardship and Dangerous Hobbies (Pottermore Presents, #1)
  • Amrapali (Amar Chitra Katha)
  • Amar Chitra Katha - Valmiki's Ramayan
  • HARAPPA: Curse of the Blood River
  • The Brahmin
  • Riot
  • The Peshwa: The Lion and the Stallion
ரஙகராஜன 5-10-1927-இல குமபகோணததில பிறநதார. இவரது தநதை மகாமகோபாததியாய ஆர. வி. கிருஷணமாசசாரியார ஒரு சமசுகிருதப பணடிதர. ரஙகராஜன தன 16-ஆம வயதில எழுத ஆரமபிததார. 1946-இல ‘சகதி’ மாத இதழிலும ‘காலசசககரம’ எனற வார இதழிலும உதவி ஆசிரியராகத தொடரநதார. 1950-இல குமுதம நிறுவனம சிறிது காலம நடததிய ‘ஜிஙலி’ எனற சிறுவர இதழில சேரநது, 42 ஆணடுகள குமுதம இதழில ஆசிரியர குழுவில பணியாறறினார.
இவர பல புனைபபெயரகளில எழுதியுளளார. சூர