Start by marking “Where I Found You (Heart's Compass, #1)” as Want to Read:
Where I Found You (Heart's Compass, #1)

Where I Found You

(Heart's Compass #1)

How do you protect your heart?

Build a wall.
Lock it away.
Let no one in.

Everyone should have a childhood worth remembering. Only I remember mine for all the wrong reasons. Starting over in a new town is hard enough. When you are running from your past, it doesn't get any easier.

Published May 8th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Where I Found You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where I Found You

Start your review of Where I Found You (Heart's Compass, #1)
Sentranced Jem
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
FOR GOODREADS

disclaimer 1

First Brooke O'Brien book and I can see what everyone is talking about. I loved Where I found You! It was heartbreaking yet heartwarming at the same time. Loved it! I devoured this book in one sitting..I feel in love with Ellie and Callum!
Ellie... *clapping* I admire her individuality and her strong will.
Callum... I need a Callum in my life. enough said right?

4-stars

For more reviews and giveaways follow my blog at www.jemimajamir.com
Melissasfandomworld
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
RE-READ October '18;
Just as enamored with this book as I was the first time around. It's such a beautifully written story and especially knowing it's a debut novel; I'm in awe.

---

Every once in a while you happily discover a new author who steals your fangirl heart away. Brooke O'Brien became that author for me. Coming across Where I found you made me want to read it so badly and then I got the opportunity to read and review the book, which is so awesome! I didn't wait long before reading it and
Coco.V
May 05, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
💝FREE on Amazon today (5/5/2018)!💝

Blurb:
How do you protect your heart?

Build a wall.
Lock it away.
Let no one in.

I was ready to say goodbye to the burdens I have carried. The pain I’ve experienced is more than anyone should have to face.

Then I met him...

He takes my breath away. I can’t ig
Brandy Roberts
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where I found you really kicked me in the heart from the first page to the last my emotions were just all over the place . The wonderful characters , heart breaking story line , and the emotions that shown through made a recipe for a marvelous read . I loved how the couple meet it's at a time were they both are having a bad day and once they meet Ellie and Callum can't get the other off their minds . Ellie was a lot of things she grows throughout the book she's sassy , funny , smart , and not a ...more
Mg ♥ The Bookishmedialite

3.5 STARS

I’ll start this review by saying this; I liked this book, just didn’t quite loved it. And the heroine didn't help. However, I do want to point out that it’s a very enjoyable read.

Ok, this was all a "ME" issue because I felt the book was well written and paced. It was angsty. It was hot. Callum was the kind of hero I love to read about... but Ellie didn't do it for me. I don't have a reason to dislike her, it was just that there was no feelings between us.

Overall, Where I Found You is
Lavender
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 STARS

I feel like the minority here. I liked this book, but I didn't love it. It was an enjoyable read. I will read from this author in the future.

Ellie was my favorite character of the book. She had a very difficult childhood; an alcoholic mother, an evil and sexually abusive step-father who was ultimately imprisoned for his crimes. I must say, some details/flashbacks from Ellie's backstory could be triggering for some readers.

With all the trauma Ellie has endured, she was still very much a
Michelle Austin
description

Where I Found You was a great 5 star read.
I was pulled in right away and couldn’t put it down.

Ellie is leaving town to have a new start like she promised her grandmother. While on the bus she meets a handsome man, Callum. There is something about him that pulls her in. He really should come with a warning label, good Lord!

Callum is heading home after a horrible visit with his brother and father. When he literally runs into Ellie he is immediately drawn
Erin
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Michelle Pavey
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Where I found you
⭐️ ⭐️
Ellie and Callum both have dark pasts that they are having difficulty moving on from. While it may be holding both of them back from letting people break down their walls, it also keeps Ellie in constant fear of her life!
While this book may have a good concept, I feel that it took a very long time before anything interesting happened. There were a lot of details and prolonged scenes that were unnecessary while the more important, interesting things were less detailed and
Stormi (Bewitched Reader)
Where I Found You is Brooke O'Brien's wonderful debut novel. Her writing captured my attention and had me devouring Callum and Ellie's story from the first page. I DEVOURED this novel. When I was busy adulting and unable to read, I was wishing I could hide in a closet and dive into this book. This story will have make your heart break, then make you laugh, then give you the warm and fuzzies. I cannot wait to see what O'Brien's next novel has in store!
Danielle Harris
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it

This book had a the feels. I was cringing a couple times, because of the abuse, but I thoroughly enjoyed this story

Ellie had it rough losing her dad and her mother became an alcoholic. The mother gets a new man, and things go from had to worse. Everyone around Ellie leaves and she is stuck in her own. She decided to leave a start a new life. She meets the sweetest man ever Callum. Omg I freaking love how sweet and protective he is over Ellie.
Aim Ruivivar
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most important things for me when I read a book is the hook IT sends me while I read the first few pages. This book gave that to me. If you are a reader who owns or had at least own any sort of brokenness in life, Where I Found You is simply a book about that and many more… like there’s hope in everything and that time heals all wounds.
Dawn
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is book 1 in the Hearts Compass Series.
Ellie hasn't had an easy life when she finally makes the decision to leave all the hurt and heartbreak behind and try to move on she meets a man at the bus station that will change her life forever.
Callum has pain of his own and while returning to his home town of Arbour Creek he bumps into Ellie a scared young woman who for some reason touches his heart from the very first time he sees her,the attraction,the connection is strong for both of them but h
⏃ : ✦ villainous_vixen ⏃ : ✦
4.5 I Found Stars

Where I Found You by Brooke O'Brien was emotionally intense, and heart-achingly beautiful! This book left me breathless and wanting more. From start to finish you will have tears in your eyes.

"I've spent most of my life picking up the broken pieces of my heart. But there is no guide to help you navigate through the stages of grief. Everyone has their own way of working through it, but for me what I wanted was to be left alone. The solitude of silence.

The story begins with a y
Flavs is Mrs David Gandy♥~♥’
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
I Voluntarily reviewed a copy of this book

Oh my word, this book had me hooked from the first page. I was totally in love with Callum from the minute he was introduced. And Ellie, man my heart hurts for her. I literally read this book from start to finish in a couple of hours.

Ellie left her hometown after the only other person besides her father passed away, her Gran. Now she in on her way to start a new life away from all the hurt and pain she experienced there.

While on her way to her bus she l
Jennifer Pierson
Ellie had a happy childhood until her father died, and then it became the worst nightmare, as her mother couldn't stop drinking. Finally, after the last person she loved died, she gets a new start away from the town that held so many bad memories. While getting on a bus, she meets a stranger that thaws out her frozen heart a bit with the instant connection, but she shuts him down. Imagine her surprise, when they come face to face again through mutual friends in the little town she settled in. Th ...more
Nerdy Dirty & Flirty
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
description
Where I Found You is the first book of the Heart's Compass series by Brooke O'Brien.

Ellie is a broken woman running from an abusive past. Hurting but determined to start over in a new town, her self defense is to build walls not letting anyone in. But along the way on her journey she meets Callum.

Ellie just breaks your heart reading the pain she has endured. She has been betrayed by the very ones that should be protecting her. But her determination and her strength made Ellie a heroine with inn
Jen Zingaro
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an definite emotional story. I can't believe that this a debut book??? If you like stories with some tragedy in them then this will be right up your alley. I also love the stories that are told between the past and the present as though you are opening up a series of hints until you get to the full story. Ellie basically needs to start over fresh after escaping her home town gossip/drama after her grandma passes away. When she meets a stranger on the bus, the story begins. It was like w ...more
Pauline
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This book grabbed me from the very first page and didn't let go until the very happy ending. Ellie is running from a horrific childhood and trying to rebuild her life while keeping everyone at arms length. What luck that on her way out of town she runs into a handsome stranger who finds a chink in the armor around her heart. Callum (the handsome stranger) sees sadness in the eyes of this beautiful woman who quite literally falls into his arms. When the bus they are on drops them off, it app ...more
Gianna Gabriela
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This story played with my emotions a little. It broke my heart from the very beginning and slowly, just as it did with the heroine, it put me back together. This is a story about abuse, about dysfunctional relationships, and about brokenness. But it is also a story about overcoming obstacles, taking charge, and deciding to start anew. Ellie and Callum are a prime example that it doesn't matter what you go through, you can overcome it. You certainly won't be perfect when you are done, and things ...more
Lore De Leenheer
Getting to know Ellie was a blessing, she has been through so much but she is such a strong woman. I was so surprised by how she handled things from her past and just jumped on a bus to start a new life. She went through so much! This book is an incredibly beautiful story, it has some hard topics. These hard topics show that life isn't always sunny but that it has it's dark sides. But luckily there are good people like Callum that make it worth fighting for. This book is a must read! Brooke O'Br ...more
Mary Mccormack
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Honest review

I received a copy of this book for a honest review. The things that the heroine in the story has survived in life would bring some people to their knees, but she is incredible strong. Having his own issues growing up Callum is also trying to find his own way in the world. Can they heal each other’s hearts, learn to trust each other, and possibly be there for each other forever? Check this book out you won’t regret it.
Jenny Hobson
I liked the idea of the story but something was missing for me it just didn't keep my interest and I didn't feel invested in the characters
Tara Taillon
“Connection” omg find another fucking word
Djg
Abuse triggers. No cheating or separations.

Hm. It was emotional and there were sweet moments. It was frustrating at times how a scene would end but seem as if more needed to be said. The h was inconsistent, waffling between timid survivor and bad-ass independent. She sent a lot of mixed signals to the H before they finally settled in.

Liked it but found it frustrating too.
Atlanta Whitlock
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is my first book of Brooke O’Brien’s that I’ve read and I can honestly say that Brooke did a pretty good job with this book and I found myself really enjoying the story and the characters. I read this in a few hours and I honestly couldn’t believe it when I got to the end as I honestly thought that there was so much more that was bound to happen. Now whilst I really enjoyed the story I do have to say that there was only two small things that I thought could have been thought about a bit mor ...more
Kendall {Book Crazy}
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars!

I'd had this book on my Kindle since it released, so I have no idea why it's taken me so long to pick it up! I also wasn't sure what to expect from this book because the synopsis doesn't actually give too much away! Anyway, I started reading this book one day when I had some free time from review books and I'm so happy that I did because I loved this book! I was intrigued by the plot from the first chapter and it only took me a few sittings to read! I actually read the first 60% in one
Karen
Jun 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Looking for a book that's heartbreaking as well as heartwarming at the same time? A read that you must finish no matter what? Look no more because this is it!

I just couldn't put this book down as it had me so engaged. Brooke, this is the first of your books for me and I can tell it wouldn't be my last after having a peak at your booklist.

So happy I found you💖
Cranky - The Book Curmudgeon
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 Cranky Stars

Where I Found You deals with some serious topics of abuse but under it all there is love and forgiveness. Forgiving yourself and overcoming the harsh blows life throws your way you learn it’s not an easy journey but you are worth the trip.

Ellie has been touched by death at an early age. Struggling with the loss of not only her father but her mother to alcoholism and her never ending string of abusive boyfriends. Ellie hides in her room until one day that room is no longer her safe
Kate_mrs539
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Where I Found You is Brooke's first novel and as firsts go, this new series has great potential!  I could easily read everything she writes going forward.

Where I Found You is the first book in the Heart's Compass series and is told in alternating first person POV.

Where I Found You was well thought out, has a great story line and pulls the reader in from the very first chapter.  I was able to read this book in one sitting because it grabbed my attention and then continued to keep my attention th
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Fractured (Southern Alphas, #2)
  • Spark (Spark, #1)
  • Gunner (The Bad Disciples MC #1)
  • Burn for Me (All I Want, #3)
  • Rafe (Texas Boudreau Brotherhood, #1)
  • Perfect Chaos (Unyielding, #1)
  • The Boy Next Door
  • Tears of Ink (Tears of ... Book 1)
  • Thunderstruck (Ramsey Security Book 1)
  • Good Luck Daddy (Daddy of the Month Club, #1)
  • Secret Crush (House of Morgan, #1)
  • Heartbreaker (Billionaires of White Oaks #1)
  • Wrecked: Luke & Marie (Savage Trust #1)
  • Fated For The Bear (Banford and Beauty Bears, #1)
  • Logan (Steele Protectors #1)
  • Worth the Risk (Alpha One, #1)
  • Disaster at Roosevelt Ranch (Roosevelt Ranch #1)
  • Healing Her Cowboy (Montana Secrets #1)
Click the FOLLOW AUTHOR button to be notified of Brooke's new releases!

Brooke O'Brien is an author of steamy and swoon-worthy contemporary romances.

She believes a love worth having is worth fighting for, and she brings this into her stories where her characters risk it all for love.

If Brooke's not writing or reading, she's probably spending time with her family, binge-watching the latest crime doc

Heart's Compass (6 books)
  • Lost Before You
  • Until I Found You
  • Now That I Found You
  • Where You Belong (Heart's Compass, #4)
  • Wherever You Go (Heart's Compass, #5)