Start by marking “Somewhere in San Diego” as Want to Read:
Somewhere in San Diego

Somewhere in San Diego

A thriller about best friends, scientific data, hired guns and a harrowing race with a past lover to stay alive.

Marine biologist Danny Maglaya must meet with his best friend and fellow scientist Blake Mason to upload the data demanded as ransom by the kidnappers of Blake’s fiancée. The task might have been simple, but every time the two scientists try to rendezvous, two c
Published April 6th 2017 by October Leaf Press

To ask other readers questions about Somewhere in San Diego, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Somewhere in San Diego

Start your review of Somewhere in San Diego
Archit Ojha
Dennis Macaraeg is back with a bang!

What a journey! It was super fun, action-paced, emotional and full of conspiracies.

Already having read Somewhere in the Shallow Sea, my expectations from the author were no less and I must confess that that my hunger for thriller has been fueled to the extent and satisfied amply.

I've enjoyed reading Somewhere in San Diego. The book will not let you feel that this is the author's just the second book. He narrates in an expert mannerism. Right from the beginn
R.K. Gold
Oct 06, 2017 rated it liked it
I was reading this book and honestly, the only word that I could think of was meh? It wasn't bad by any stretch of the imagination, and I was never bored. However, I was also never enthralled. The plot was solid and very well thought out, again it was nothing new, but it did the thriller genre justice. Everything below will be a spoiler.

(view spoiler)
Pooja
Apr 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, owns, 100-pages
4.5 Perfect Stars!

Another triumph by Dennis Macaraeg.

Somewhere in San Diego involves marine biologist, Danny who has to somehow meet with his best friend Blake Mason so he can transfer some data. Blake's girlfriend has been kidnapped by some bad guys and for ransom both scientists have to turn that data over to them.

Funny situation is, that Danny and Blake has no clue as to why this data is so much important to the kidnappers. But there's the twist, another set of detectives and sharpshooters
Mia Maniwang (book.duchess)
Somewhere in San Diego is a sequel of Somewhere in the Shallow Sea (which I reviewed a few days ago). The story happens after more or less two years after the first book. The plot is about Danny and Blake trying to rescue Elizabeth (which is Blake's fiancé) with the help of Valerie (which happens to be Danny's ex...again). And maybe if you read the first book and saw this, you'll be like 'wait. But Blake was kidnapped in the first book and now his fiancé? Yes, honey. Blake's fiancé was kidnapped ...more
Nica
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
*Author sent me a free copy in exchange of an honest review.*

When the author told me that there will be a sequel for Somewhere in the Shallow Sea and asked me if I would like to review it. I was surprised because the book had a good ending and I thought it was a standalone novel. Nonetheless, I agreed to get a review copy of the sequel because I enjoyed the first book.

The first thing that I liked about the book itself is the cover. Can we take a moment to admire it? Because I really love the cov
David Baird
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Now while I think it works better if you read Somewhere in the Shallow Sea first it’s not 100% necessary. Personally I would just so you can see the progression of not only the tale but also the author.

The plot follows the same sort of pattern as the previous book. Danny is a biologist who created a compound that can attract fish. While Danny and his friend Blake have been collecting data on their research Blake’s fiancée has been kidnapped.

The kidnappers want this information uploaded for all t
Ray Palen
Aug 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Dennis Macaraeg has two novels now to his name. His prior effort and debut, SOMEWHERE IN THE SHALLOW SEA, was a decent read --- big on descriptions of the terrain but a little short on character development.

I eagerly dove into his follow-up, SOMEWHERE IN SAN DIEGO, to see how he had grown as a writer. To begin with, Dennis knows how to pace a story. This one hits the ground running and continues at break-neck speed right through the last pages.

Once again, Dennis stays with familiar territory. In
Mike Siedschlag
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Author Dennis Macaraeg sent me a print copy of Somewhere in San Diego for review.

Somewhere in San Diego is the second book in the Somewhere series, the first I have read by this author.

It is a break-neck paced action story with main characters racing against time to save the fiance of one's partner. Oddly enough, the character who is trying to save his fiance gets very little print. He is actually a subordinate player.

Our heroes are a man and woman who should be together but aren't due to their
Monique Deane
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Somewhere in San Diego is the sequel to Somewhere in the Shallow Sea and it certainly did not disappoint! Dennis Macaraeg was kind enough to send me a copy (see my review for Somewhere in the Shallow Sea here) and although I thought the first novel made a good standalone, I am so glad he decided to continue Danny’s story.

Somewhere in San Diego follows Danny as he tries to meet with his friend Blake Mason to upload the data demanded as ransom in order to save Blake’s fiancee. The book is honestly
Sweetpea
Nov 03, 2017 rated it liked it
With plenty of thrills and non-stop action, this was an interesting listen. However, I would have preferred a buildup to the opening chase scene, instead of just diving right in. With armed assassins gunning for him and betrayals at every turn, Danny has his work cut out for him.

This story had a lot of potential but fell a little flat for me. It seemed a little disjointed at times and Blake and Danny going to the wrong places to meet up was a little annoying. Danny's relationship with Valerie di
Karen
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book re-introduces you to Danny and Blake. This time, they are trying to rescue Blake's kidnapped fiancée Elizabeth.

With "Somewhere in San Diego", Dennis Macaraeg has created a light fast-paced thriller with a touch of romance. The story has the characters criss-crossing San Diego and its outskirts, trying to avoid being killed before they can upload data requested as ransom and get Elizabeth back unharmed. It is a quite entertaining read with thrilling moments. Dennis Macaraeg lets the rea
Stephanie
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the second book that I have read by this author, and it didn't disappoint. Just like the first one, this book is packed full of action, suspense, great characters, and scientific aspects. It reminds me a bit of some early Michael Crichton work where the science and action is woven into the story in a convincing way without being boring at all. The narration is solid, though not my favorite ever. The story is definitely worth the read.

I received a free copy of this audiobook at my request
Elisa Ruiz
Eileen
Connie Murphy
Dee
Apr 17, 2017

• Once Shadows Fall (Sturgis and Kale, #1)
  • Grave Secrets (Temperance Brennan, #5)
  • High Crimes
  • Blood Oath (Alexandra Cooper, #20)
  • Guilt by Association (Rachel Knight, #1)
  • The Terminal List (Terminal List, #1)
  • The Sixth Man (Sean King & Michelle Maxwell, #5)

News & Interviews