Start by marking “El mundo amarillo” as Want to Read:
El mundo amarillo

El mundo amarillo

La vida de Albert Espinosa cambió cuando tenía 13 años de edad: le diagnosticaron un cáncer; con 14 años le amputaron la pierna izquierda; a los 16 le quitaron el pulmón izquierda; y ya los 18 le extrajeron parte del hígado. Su enfermedad le enseñó que morir no es triste, que lo triste es no vivir. «Siempre me pareció interesante escribir un libro sobre lo que me enseñó el ...more
Published September 2011 by Grijalbo (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about El mundo amarillo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about El mundo amarillo

Start your review of El mundo amarillo
maegan
Aug 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Albert Espinosa is a cancer survivor. This disease robbed him of years of school, of his leg and of one of his lungs.

It is precisely those tragic experiences that taught him the keys to happiness, to living life to the fullest, and they are the ones he shares in The Yellow World. In his own words, "it's not philosophy, it's not religion, it's just lessons from Cancer applied to life."

Some I found interesting, some I found useful and applicable, and some I disagreed with (my past self was defini
Anna
May 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Positive, exciting, moving, touching, funny, heartfelt and brave. And yellow.

First of all we get to know some bits from the story of a young boy who gets diagnosed with cancer... From here on it goes unconventionally. No dramatic stories, no tear-jerking episodes of heartbreak and loss, no grieving over lost time and health... Instead, we get discoveries. Various discoveries about life that were presented to him during these times, even though he did not understand some of them back then. Overhe
Damaskcat
Jan 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Albert Espinosa spent ten years battling cancer and lost a leg and a lung to the disease. These misfortunes have not stopped him having a zest for life which positively leaps off the pages of this book. The author gives some fascinating insights into what having cancer and looking death in the face has taught him. The most important thing is probably that death and losses of any kind are not things to be feared.

There are twenty three discoveries which the author lists and describes and then he e
Sofia Samu
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I generally don't read self-help books. They tend to stress me more than help me. So if it was any other self-help book, it would have probably been 3 stars. But here's the thing: Albert Espinosa created my favourite tv show (Pulseras Rojas) and this book had some references to the show that melted my heart (even though the show started a few years after this book was published). I have even started a rewatch of the show because of the nostalgic feelings this book invoked in me.
Mady
I was expecting this to be more of an autobiography. Unfortunately these lists that Albert Espinosa made and that this book consists of were alle over the place and not really my cup of tea. This whole concept of "the yellows" was also really weird and most of the time not even comprehensible.
Katherine Hayward Pérez
A few days ago, I finished reading this.
I saw "Pulseras Rojas" last Summer on TV- a series about kids at a hospital in Barcelona. They were between about 8 and 14 years old, and were in the hospital for varying reasons. The 8 year old was in a coma after kids dared him to jump off the highest diving board into the pool in exchange for him forming part of their group. There were 2 kids with cancer, a girl with anorexia, and a boy with heart problems. The series told of the friendships one forms
Mary Marsell
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Espinosa insists that this is not a book about how to survive cancer, or even a self-help book, but I think it is. He says it's about how to survive life and how to live, and that is also true. The best moments for me were not self-help, however, but rather the anecdotal experiences from his time in the hospital and with other cancer patients; young patients taking ownership of their baldness and becoming a gang called the Eggheads, and sharing pain-coping strategies and street wisdom. They visi ...more
Rebecca Emin
The blurb for this book says that Albert Espinosa did not want to write a book about surviving cancer, and in the author's introduction he says it is not a self-help book. Yet the inspiration that leaps from the pages as you read this mean it will help you, if you are anything like me, to enhance your own life experiences.

Espinosa begins each chapter with a quote from someone who has had an impact on him, which is such a great way to start each section. The explanations of what he has learned fr
Stevedutch
Unfortunately I was expecting something else when I ordered this, and after reading some of the more effusive reviews: I don't know; something a bit different, something, perhaps, profound. But, considering the tragic circumstances of the author's childhood as a cancer sufferer, all I got from this series of recommendations gleaned from a lifetime of comparative pain and suffering, were a series of rather facile reflections on a particular life that, in some instances, I found mildly offensive.

B
Lara
This is the first Spanish book with more than 100 pages I got through and a wonderful book at that. It is a book filled with wisdom and truly beautiful quotes. It is a book to make you smile, to make you think about your life, and to make you want to live your life differently. This book will motivate you to really live your life and I don't think there's anything more powerful or amazing that a book can achieve than that.

"Si crees en los sueños, ellos se crearán."
(If you believe in dreams, th
Reixel Soy Yo
Jan 17, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, self-aid
I respect the author and I admire him because of his fortress, but I haven't liked the book at all. He starts the book saying that this is not a self-aid book... well, in my opinion he's done just the opposite thing that he pretended.
Talking about the "yellows"... well, I don't share his opinion at all. I really behave with my friends as if they were the "yellows" he mentions. Why your "yellows" should not last forever? Why they can only be 23 and everybody has 23? When I was reading such a thin
Julie
Jun 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Completely and utterly off the wall but he also makes complete sense. I'm looking forward to meeting the rest of my yellows!
nana
Oct 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A light read and some reminders for life from a recovered patient fighting years of cancer in his youth. Also, this book reminds me of Coldplay’s song “Yellow” which I could relate to certain important “yellows” in my own life. A new understanding of the lyrics was inspired, and made me feel grateful for some beautiful, enlightening moments and people I encountered.

Look at the stars, look how they shine for you
And everything that you do
It was all yellow...

Some learnings/ quotes I like:

- Feeling
Petrina Binney
Aug 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not so much a self-help book as one man’s philosophy, in The Yellow World we get to know the author as a very positive, enthusiastic, young man who, yes - has survived ten years of cancer, but has brought with him a beautifully child-like way of looking at the world.

And he’s quite right. Everything becomes overcomplicated because of the rules that we all follow and the mindset we take for granted. Rather than reserve our intimacy for our lovers, Mr. Espinosa advises that we should seek out and r
Kerry
May 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, this isn't really a "cancer survivor story" as such but more about the life lessons Albert Espinosa has learnt growing up battling cancer. He breaks down his thoughts and experiences into four "parts" according to a poem he finds inspirational by Gabriel Celaya called, "Autobiography", which, by the way I loved too!

There's, "Beginning", "Carrying On", "Living" and "Relax" and I think just like Albert intended, this book is about his "yellow world" and is written in a very unique way just as
Susan
Jun 01, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't quite sure what to expect from this book but I was pleasantly surprised. Albert Espinosa had cancer since he was a child but after losing a lung and a leg he is now cured! He shares his feelings about things he has learned through his times in hospital and the way he has coped and learned from these. He talks about twenty-three things he has learned that now he uses in his day to day life. He alk at length about yellows. Yellows are people who come into your life that you feel a deep co ...more
Mel
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home
I have been watching the series to this book today. Lots of tears, because I know that life in hospital is exactly like that. Death is with us every day, even if we don't want to see it. Since I started working as a nurse, cancer, death and diseases have become a part of me. And the more you talk and learn about it, the less scared you get but can actually see the beauty of it.
This book is beautifully written and I wish people could think that way without experiencing something like Albert did.
Ela Erciyes
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a must-read after watching and loving Fox’s rendition of Red Band Society. I have mixed feelings about it, I loved some chapters and had to power through others as I couldn’t relate to them. Overall, though, I can say that Espinosa’s outlook on life changed my worldview for the better.

Oh, and also, now I can’t stop identifying Yellows every time a stranger evokes a certain feeling in me. Cat-like girl from that math class I attended, I’m talking about you.
Lim
Apr 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A somewhat healing book. It is the kind of book where you feel like your life has temporarily come on a standstill and you need some insight, to feel refreshed and rejuvenated, this book is that book to read. It is simple but straightforward yet deep. The kind of book which unravels itself differently each time you reread it and live life. Definitely recommend. This book will make you feel thankful and bright.
Daniele Iavarone
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was expecting to face a typical biography, but instead what I found was a handbook of life tips written in a catchy style, but with some repetitions. If you like this genre, I would definitely suggest you to read Randy Pausch's "The Last Lecture".
Luisa
i won a copy of this book in the good reads giveaway, the book is ok, it has some very interesting ideas on how to deal with issues in life and the problems we face, and a interesting look at friendships (or yellows)
Ilyah Nazrah
I really wanted to love this book. I really did.

There were some good and useful lessons to take away from it but it wasn't enough to really hold my attention. Maybe at a different place in time, I'll reread it and think differently.
Delia Maria
at the beginning it's so good and the advices and little stories the author writes are so good and genuine, but I felt it became progressively odder and a little mystical with the yellows and sometimes I didn't find his advice amazing - overall I admire how he is strong and his advice original.
Luca Nicoletti
Jul 29, 2020 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
One of the best book I've ever read. I relate to anything written in this book. The author goes through 23 'improvements' you can have in your life. Highly recommended read, a MUST I'd say. Suggesting this to almost everyone I know and that I care about.
Tanja
Nov 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Albert Espinosa's advices to see the bright side of sickness and the nearing time of death...I would be such a crap cancer patient.
Rehan Abd Jamil
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm going to find my own yellow world soon :)
Adelina Iștoc
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the world really needs many books like this.
and i need many yellows too. :')
Isabel Vélez
Oct 25, 2017 rated it did not like it
This sucked...so bad.
Drew Budds
this book was not useful at all. i have read all of it and i still don't know what he is talking about
Gsc
Jul 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot to take in with this book. Perhaps too much in one read? Will need to revisit.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Amazing Super...: HEAVEN 25 21 Mar 23, 2014 10:21PM

• Tierra
  • El día que se perdió el amor
  • En los zapatos de Valeria (Valeria, #1)
  • Lo que encontré bajo el sofá
  • La chica de nieve
  • Mecanoscrit del segon origen
  • El regalo
  • La nena (Elena Blanco, #3)
  • La magia de ser Sofía
  • El día que se perdió la cordura
  • Invisible
  • Terra baixa
  • Mi isla
  • Valeria en el espejo (Valeria, #2)
  • El despertar de las musas
  • Marina
  • Piel de letra
  • La promesa de Julia (La chica invisible #3)
Albert Espinosa i Puig (n. Barcelona, 5 de noviembre de 1974),1 ingeniero industrial de formación, es un guionista, autor teatral, escritor, actor y director de cine español. También colabora como columnista en el diario El Periódico de Catalunya.
A la edad de 13 años le fue diagnosticado un osteosarcoma por el que tuvieron que amputarle una pierna. Sufrió metástasis y también fue necesaria la exti