Start by marking “The Creakers” as Want to Read:
The Creakers

The Creakers

Do you ever hear strange, creaking noises at night? Ever wonder what makes those noises?
Lucy Dungston always did.
Until, one morning, Lucy discovers that all the grown-ups have disappeared - as if into thin air. Chaos descends as the children in Lucy's town run riot. It's mayhem.
Published October 5th 2017 by Puffin

To ask other readers questions about The Creakers, please sign up.
Robert Batten I'd support Jo's answer. It is a "little" scary, but has a wonderful sense of humour and the protagonist is amazing.…moreI'd support Jo's answer. It is a "little" scary, but has a wonderful sense of humour and the protagonist is amazing. (less)
Janine Very suitable, she would probably enjoy it. My 6 year old enjoyed it as our nightly chapter book.
The illustrations are beautiful.

Start your review of The Creakers
Sandra (LadyGrey Reads)
Now it's not very nice to use little girls as live bait to catch monsters, but, if you do ever have to, then it's always best to use an annoying little sprog like Ella, just in case they do actually end up getting snatched.

One morning, Lucy wakes up to find that all the grown-ups in the world have gone missing.
Terrific! is what all the other kids in town seem to think.
But Lucy wonders why. And how. And when. Soon, she discovers that there are creatures appearing in her room at night - and
Kerri
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5

Incredibly fun, well written, funny, with brilliant characters and absolutely wonderful illustrations.
Kristina
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I've read so far this year!

The plot gave me such Home Alone vibes that I literally fell in love with it from page one and couldn't put it down.

I loved that we had a strong heroine who was brave, smart and kind!

Oh guys, the illustrations! Adore them!!!
Amy
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned

I love Tom Fletcher's books. Such a fun, quick read. The illustrations are awesome!
Stanislav Lozanov
I wish that book was translated into Bulgarian. A lot of kids would enjoy it.
Mehsi
"What silently waits in the shadows at night? What's under your bed, keeping just out of sight?"

Squee, this was just such a fun, exciting, delightful book!

The story starts off with a bang, our MC wakes up to find that her mom has disappeared! But she quickly finds out that it is not just her mom, it is all the adults in town! The kids are at first quite afraid and want their moms/dads/family members, but then they find a note (so obvious, but hey they are kids) and they get to celebrating their
Izzy Dorrance
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book because it has a great overall message in the story. ‘Its okay to be different’ This really comes across in the book and I like the added touch at the end (The author, Tom Fletcher, wrote a song to go with the book called Different and there are the lyrics and a QR code to hear him sing it).

I also really liked the way the story was written. Throughout the book (often in italics) we’d have the authors own thoughts on what was going on. This really added to the
Charlotte (The Writers' Crown)
Wonderful writing again from Tom Fletcher. I loved this story. Creepy, funny, and magical. The main character is very inspiring. From standing up for what she believes in to making friends with lonely children. She's certainly a character I would want my future children to read about! I really loved that the book had an underlying message of the importance and usefulness of recycling and being sustainable with our waste. It really is an all-round excellent book for young readers (and the ...more
Gethin
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
We started it at the beginning of the summer holidays and didn't read it much and then read the Christmasaurs also by Tom Fletcher. I really enjoyed this book and is lots of fun to read! I highly recommend this book to everyone! Best Book of the year so far! #1 ...more
Mikayla
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it as always Tom Fletcher writes amazing children's books.
Meredith Mara
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5/5 stars :) Such a cute, magical and creepy middle-grade adventure read.
Trish
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it

This was an adorable story about Monsters under bed and discovering what happens while you sleep.

We begin and the story was up and running. We are introduced to Lucy and learn about her family circumstances. Just her and her Mom since her Dad left. Lucy wakes up one morning and her Mom is gone; and not just her Mom but all the adults.

Lucy becomes the leader and tries to discover why the parents left while helping all the children. Enter The Creakers.....

This was an endearing story
Miss L
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I wasn't keen on the writing style, I didn't feel that it flowed! However, i think the children in my class will love this book so I've rated it 4 stars and I'm looking forward to reading it to them.
Rebecca Farren
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, children-s
This review is available on my blog here: https://rebeccafarren.com/2017/10/16/...

The one word that Tom Fletcher has used repeatedly to describe his second novel in the lead up to its release is 'disgusting', and I have to say I completely agree with him (in a good way!)

How would you feel if you woke up one day to find all of the grown-ups had disappeared? Excited? Worried? Mischevious? Well, that's exactly what Lucy Dungston and the children of Whiffington face one morning when they find all of
Kathi
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Creakers by Tom Fletcher is about Whiffington Town, where one morning all the grown-ups had disappeared. First, all children were thrilled by it and enjoyed their time without rules and listening to their parents. But Lucy soon realizes that something must have happened to their parents and begins to search for them. With the help of Norman and Ella she discovers The Woleb, where the Creakers live.

I was really excited to start reading this book, but kind of scarred that I would not like it.
Joey Woolfardis
A nicely written adventure following Lucy as she wakes up to discover all of the grown ups gone and things creaking about under her bed.

Adventurous and humorous, though I found the humour a little forced or unnecessary at times, which put me off whilst I was reading. It felt a little try hard, and I was reminded of the likes of Roald Dahl, but the inherent genius just wasn't there.

I also wasn't particularly convinced that Lucy and her friends were six years old, but I enjoyed the whole package
Anna
Apr 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I massively enjoyed Fletcher's first novel 'The Christmasaurus' with it's quirks and humour and magic. However The Creakers left me feeling a little more meh. Of course I'm not actually it's target audience but I do love me a good 9-12 fiction (Harry Potter anyone?!)

The narrator chapters just felt a bit too silly and jarring to me, and while Fletcher obviously draws inspiration from Dahl, he doesn't quite reach that man's genius (though really, who can?). The Creakers is funny and clever and
Reine4 Nguyen
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is so mysterious and exiting that once you pick it up you just can't put it down. Lucy is so brave and courageous that I think after reading this book I want to be more like her. Now the Creakers. Grunt, Gruff, Scratch and Sniff. Although they may be stinky and smelly they certainly are not just bad. I think it's good they eat the rubbish because rubbish goes to landfill and that is pollution. The Creakers is not only a good book it teaches good lessons and has great people to look up ...more
Elspeth Hall
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you have a child scared of monsters under the bed then this is the book to read them. (Though probably not just before bed.)

Addressing the question as to whether the monsters under the bed are really wicked and out to get you or just mysterious, misunderstood and perhaps just as afraid of us. The book also champions unlikely heroes in the form of a tom boy from a broken family and a scout who's "weird" hobby (scouting) means he is a target for bullies.
Fiona Sing
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My boys (aged 5 & 7) rated this book 5 stars .. they loved that Lucy was brave but most of all they loved the creakers and the way that they speak (especially when I got into character with the voices) .. this is a great family book full of adventure and I’ve loved the quality time it’s given us while reading this magical book !
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great book for kidderlings (and adults!) I enjoyed the story and how it tied in with 'The Christmasaurus'. I loved the wonderful imagination of Tom Fletcher, especially the description of Creakerland. The illustrations added to the enjoyment and I loved the ending.
Daniel Williamson
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Truly Incredible
In my house there are to copies of this story which shows it’s good. When it first came out I could not put the book down from me!!!
Well done Tom!!!
Daisy May
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: To my cousin, and anyone who likes an adventure
Recommended to Daisy by: My dad
The Creakers is an amazing book from a funny author. It is about adults from a town are snatched by weird creatures that love rubbish and hate sun light, called the creakers. A young girl called Lucy trys to find the adults. To think, it is based under children's bed. Page turner.
Tammie
Tom thanked Mcfly fans at the end.

I'm emotional.
Cheryl
Sep 15, 2018 marked it as someday-elsewhere
Elspeth's daughter and her friends like this. It reminds me a bit of The Girl Who Owned a City but maybe more fun & better for kids raised more by movies than books.
Tabea Vanessa
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this so much! It was so precious and exactly what I needed right now. And the illustrations <3 nothing more to say here.
HK
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
cute and wholesome!
Sammy Buttery
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Best book I have read this year! Defiantly recommend reading this book you won’t be able to put it down
Melissa Delport
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
It took us far too long to finish this family readalong! No fault of Fletcher's - the book is fabulous, it's just impossible to get all 3 of my kids to sit still at the same time to listen :)
Eloise
Sep 19, 2018 rated it liked it
I wish 8 year old me could’ve read this book. It was a good story and well written BUT I’m a huge psychological thriller fan so this really wasn’t for me.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Ice Monster
  • The Nothing to See Here Hotel
  • The Snowman: Inspired by the original story by Raymond Briggs
  • Fing
  • Eve of Man (Eve of Man, #1)
  • Kid Normal
  • When The Curtain Falls
  • The Person Controller
  • Toto the Ninja Cat and the Great Snake Escape (Toto the Ninja Cat, #1)
  • Vous faites quoi pour Noël ?
  • The Girl Who Speaks Bear
  • The Star Outside my Window
  • The Girl Who Stole an Elephant
  • De jongen onder water
  • The Boy At the Back of the Class
  • Some Kind of Wonderful
  • Het raadsel van de zee
  • The Land of Roar
Tom Fletcher is an English singer-songwriter, guitarist, and children's author.