Start by marking “Adultolescence” as Want to Read:
Adultolescence

Adultolescence

3.34  ·  Rating details ·  8,506 ratings  ·  1,282 reviews
Comedian Gabbie Hanna brings levity to the twists and turns of modern adulthood in this exhilarating debut collection of illustrated poetry.

In poems ranging from the singsong rhythms of children’s verses to a sophisticated confessional style, Gabbie explores what it means to feel like a kid and an adult all at once, revealing her own longings, obsessions, and insecurities
Published September 19th 2017 by Atria/Keywords Press (first published September 9th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Adultolescence, please sign up.
Brianna as a young adult who watches gabbie religiously, this book didn't seem to match up with her character at all, nor did i relate to any but two of the p…moreas a young adult who watches gabbie religiously, this book didn't seem to match up with her character at all, nor did i relate to any but two of the poems. it also wasn't funny if purposely written in a childish way, nor is her writing in a childish way beneficial to the book. in fact, it just made the book worse, in my opinion. this book was a joke, and not the good kind. i love gabbie, but this book is just a bad representation of what she can actually put to the table. which is great entertainment. (less)
Morgan Its the way the book is written. She uses childish, cheap rhymes, and has obviously rushed a LOT of the poems (if they can even be called that.) It is…moreIts the way the book is written. She uses childish, cheap rhymes, and has obviously rushed a LOT of the poems (if they can even be called that.) It is merely a cash-grab; you can tell that she didn't put much into it. I'm glad that you feel better about yourself, but there is plenty of good poetry out there that can do the exact same thing. (less)

·  8,506 ratings  ·  1,282 reviews

Start your review of Adultolescence
Lala BooksandLala
Aug 14, 2017 rated it did not like it
I liked 3 of around 200 of the "poems". Unfortunately most of this was poorly written or quite literally (as stated by her in the book itself, likely in jest) written "because [she] had a deadline and needed to fill pages."
I'm sure I just don't understand how clever/funny it's meant to be though so..yknow, maybe don't place too much stock in my review.
Riley
Aug 16, 2017 rated it did not like it
"dont believe everything u read i could write rn that i like tapioca but i hate tapicoa it's the devils snack so ya dont believe everything u read unless u read that im cool u can believe that"
what??

I am a fan of Gabbie, but wow this is just bad. I think the attempt was to be funny but it just wasn't. Every "poem" read like a drunk tweet.
MischaS_
Feb 01, 2020 marked it as never-to-read
Recommended to MischaS_ by: YouTube
So, I was recently listening to a lot of videos from a commentary channel on YouTube, and a lot of them included something about Gabbie Hanna.

And this morning YouTube decided to give me an advert for this book... Is this the "there is no such thing as bad publicity" logic?

Anyway, me and modern poetry do not mix well, so, I will be staying away from it.
Elyse  Walters
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
“i’ve got a head full of nightmares,
a heart full of rage,
a belly full of liquor,
and a sink full of dishes.

i’ll start with the dishes”.

Great humor- photos - real life issues - *real*
If you enjoy rupi kaur ......you’ll enjoy Gabbie Hanna! She pours her heart out in this little book!

This book must be experience- I’d recommend a PHYSICAL BOOK if possible!

Whitney Atkinson
Oct 08, 2017 rated it did not like it
Let me preface this review by saying that I like Gabbie. I've watched her videos for years. But this is..... bad.

none of these poems read like poetry, even the "good" ones. milk & honey looks poetic next to this, and anyone could look up and see that i did NOT like milk & honey because to me, it just read like normal sentences. these poems literally read like tweets. they’re not meaningful at ALL, even in a comedic way.

i think she set herself up for failure by saying that her inspiration is bo b
Kylie Amber
May 17, 2018 rated it did not like it
Okay the only thing I liked about this was her illustrations. The author made it very clear on multiple pages that she is writing a book for the money not for anything else. Many pages she even called “ filler” pages because she has a deadline and it’s not even funny to see that stuff if that’s what she was going for? In my opinion, this is not a poetry book she pretty much has abbreviations 4 (haha just like that) every word she is writing. I didn’t enjoy
Taneika
Oct 25, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Full disclaimer: I don’t watch Gabbie’s videos. I tried, found I wasn't a fan, but I also don’t dislike her. I picked up this book purely bc I liked the look of the poems in the store and I liked the pictures. I’ve barely read any poetry and I don’t really know what kinds I like or don’t like. I know I didn’t like Adultolescence though.

Half the time, I felt like I was reading a shit post on tumblr (the “Advice” poems were the worst), which would be fine, if it didn’t go into this expecting poetr
Dylan
Oct 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
Absolutely one of the worst garbage-fire pieces of trash I've ever read. I don't know how this got published.
Tatyanna ☾
Jan 15, 2020 rated it did not like it
When she spelled what as wut I was out.
Krista Regester
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"i'm the cockiest most insecure
confident self-conscious self-
assured anxious proud self-
loathing person i know."

If you want a quirky and unique book that jumps from an in depth poem about serious depression, to the random rantings on hangovers and dishes, this is for you! I found this to be an unexpected journey, since I didn't know what I would get when I turned the page. Although the tweet like poems were interesting I did find the art being my favorite part.
chrissy

I originally gave this book 2 stars, but the more I went through it, I realized that 2 stars was honestly too high if you compare what I liked to what I disliked. Because of this, I have knocked down my rating by a half star, so it now sits at 1.5 stars for me.

DISCLAIMER: I usually read books by YouTubers only of YouTubers that I actually watch every day, keep up with, follow in Instagram & Twitter, and I would call myself a fan of. However, that wasn't the case with Adultolescence. I w
Rebecca McNutt
Jan 17, 2020 rated it did not like it
...Okay...

Really, that's mostly all I've got to say.

This book reminds me of my emo phase of "poetry" back in early high school. Poetry, as I've said before in other reviews, is a subjective genre and a tricky one to rate/review, as different things speak to different people, but I personally wasn't aware that stating the obvious in tiny snippets of basic words and phrases was "poetry". It's more like little musings you might see in a small town newspaper column. Not that this is a bad thing, but
Brianna
Oct 12, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to like this book when my friend excitedly let me borrow it for a bit. I love Gabbie, she's one of my favorite YouTubers and has always been. Plus, her song is killer and is so relatable and beautiful. This book, however, was the total opposite. I have seen lots of excuses from her devoted fans, who probably didn't even read the book themselves, saying it's supposed to be childish and silly and a parody or whatever. That's supposed to make us people who don't like it change our m ...more
ambsreads
Overall, this was mediocre. Some of the poems really stuck out to me, mainly the one titled Adultolescence and many about building yourself back/knowing your worth. The former mentioned left me crying and gave me goosebumps since I related to it as deeply.

However, this isn't that great a poetry book. There use of "bc" and shortened words throughout made my eye twitch and a lot of the poems are truly only things Gabbie herself would understand. She speaks about her personal experiences specifica
Beatrice Masaluñga
Sep 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: poetry
That's a quick read but I suffered over a poorly written collection. The verses (or should I say rundown sentences?) are basic and flat. Some of them are random and lacked of substance. Poems should be well thought and emotionally stirring. This one has none. I don't recommend this collection. AT ALL. I'm on a roll of disappointing poetry books. This is a bad sign.
Shi ❀
Jul 07, 2020 rated it did not like it
Just... Don't ask me why on earth I actually read - and what's more; finished - this, because I can't even come up with an answer, apart from that curiosity killed the cat and I wanted to see just how bad this was (I was so confused by the Goodreads rating details because I've really never seen anything like it, so there's that as well).

And it was bad. Really bad. So let's say that I read this so you don't have to. It was terrible and I don't know where to start and what to say, but I'll try.

Fir
alana ♡
Nov 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: contemporary
The only poem I related to was the one that said to lock your bathroom door even when your home alone so that if a murderer is in your house you have time to pull your pants up and die with dignity 🤷🏻‍♀️
Kirk
Feb 16, 2020 rated it did not like it
If a teen girl tried to make dad jokes and shitty puns of tweet length, then you collected them all and put them in a book, you would have Adultolescence.

I have been craving really bad writing lately though, because everything I have read this year has been alright . . . until this weekend. I think my thirst has been satiated by selections from this book. I did not read the entire thing, and did not for one second feel like I may have missed a gem.

Thinking about reading an Onision book next, m
Conor Ahern
Jan 16, 2018 rated it did not like it
Embarrassingly bad, with the ab/ab rhyme scheme poems registering as particularly cringeworthy. Read the top two reviews if you have even the slightest inclination that you'll connect with this trite potboiler.
Kate
Nov 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, 2017-read
Actual Rating: 3.75/5
Read this in a couple hours. I really enjoyed it!

Some poems were just a little strange, but I loved majority of them! Definitely worth the read!
Zack Jay
Jul 06, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: poetry
okay to be very honest it wasn't horrific, some poems I did enjoy. however, it was marketed as a poetic book but this just reads like tweets and late night shower thoughts. another thing that bothered me was that if I'm not wrong most of these poems are meant to be "satire" but it wasn't even funny, well if its not satire then at least something about this book was funny👀

honourable poems that stuck with me for all the right reasons 👁👄👁
"k"

"link in bio"

"i dunno, yanno?"

"everyday is just a battle b
shyla
Feb 01, 2018 rated it did not like it
um my jonas brothers fanfic from 2007 is better than this
Taylor Knight
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
I recently discovered Gabbie's YouTube channel and I was super curious about her book. I wasn't sure what to expect so I really didn't have any high hopes but I was still vaguely disappointed.
I'm no expert on poetry but some of these really weren't good at all. Many of the poems read like drunk social media posts and some felt like fillers. Gabbie even has a poem joking how some of the poems are in the book because she had a deadline. On one hand, the poems just weren't good, plain nd simple. Bu
Hizatul Akmah
Jan 25, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: poetry
you woke a part of me i thought was dead,
but i guess it was just sleeping.

— nap

i deducted a star every time she mentioned about some of the so called poems are there just to fill the pages because the deadline is approaching,,, i can't believe i've wasted my time on this bs
Nichole Stevens
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
When i heard of Gabbie was coming out with a book i laughed, i figured it'd be a terrible book. But when she came out with a song "Out Loud" i second guessed myself. I figured that song, as it was promo for the book, was going to be a very good indication of how the book was going to be. I was wrong. As someone who loves poetry, this book is laughable. It follows a Dr Seuss rhyme scheme . "Unexpected" and "SLEEP" made me cringe. Now not all was bad, i enjoyed her more serious poems such as: Fash ...more
Sarah Theis
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I actually quite enjoyed this one. It was shocking but thought provoking, humorous and entertaining. And applause for a poetry book with rhyming. Obviously not all poems do, but I was surpised for the variety of poems that were present. Limericks and haikus but still some of the style of now a days poetry is portrayed.
It was nice though not
Having every
Page be
This.
😂😂😂😂 if the whole book is like that I feel like.... Idk like they are trying to hard? That it's just wisdom and thoughts with
Marco
Jan 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
I had no expectations when I started this book and still, all I can think is: honestly, who let this be published? In every single page, I felt like I was reading an ordinary tumblr post or a tweet (I’ve actually read some tweets that are way closer to poetry than this) - it is my fault I read this though, I already suspected it would be underwhelming, just not this bad. Would certainly not recommend Adultolescence, unless you want to see what poor/flat writing looks like.
Ana ☾
Nov 01, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-english, 2017
"some of these poems were written because inspiration struck, others were written because i had a deadline and needed to fill pages. can you guess which are which?" All of them??? (this is one of the poems btw)

This is honestly the worst thing I have ever read in my entire life.
These weren't poems whatsoever, some people said they felt like drunk tweets which I think half of them are so, but the other half felt like a poem a seven years old would have written for a school assignment.
The writing
Kevin (Irish Reader)
I didn't really know what to expect going into this book, only that I knew I loved Gabbie. I am surprised at how I could relate to a number of these poems and how much they reflected how I felt in the past. One poem that stuck out to me was short but effective: "Question" : Are you happy, or are you not sad?
This poem really spoke to me in many ways that I won't get into, but I am just so impressed by Gabbie's poetry, although I'm aware many others may not be. I am no expert when it comes to poet
Alexis Jackson
Feb 21, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The first book I've ever DNF.

If I could give this 0 stars, I would. I'm not familiar with her vines or videos, but if it's anything like this book, I will take a hard PASS.

Yeah, she touches upon some raw, honest topics, but if I could take some tumblr ramblings, break them up into stanzas, and make it rhyme, this is what it would be. This isn't poetry.

The cute drawings aren't enough to keep me reading, and while the jargon of today does exist, her use of it in her "poems" does not connect me to
YA Buddy Readers'...: Adultolescence Starting September 12th, 2018 14 57 Nov 29, 2019 09:38AM
April Reading Assignment 1 2 Apr 30, 2019 09:59PM
November Reading Assignment 1 6 Nov 29, 2018 07:36PM

• The Princess Saves Herself in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #1)
  • The Mermaid's Voice Returns in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #3)
  • Love Her Wild
  • The Witch Doesn't Burn in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #2)
  • Break Your Glass Slippers (You Are Your Own Fairy Tale, #1)
  • I Hate Myselfie: A Collection of Essays
  • To Make Monsters Out of Girls (Things that Haunt, #1)
  • Depression & Other Magic Tricks
  • Whiskey, Words, and a Shovel I
  • The Sun and Her Flowers
  • Light Filters In: Poems
  • Pillow Thoughts (Pillow Thoughts #1)
  • It Gets Worse: A Collection of Essays
  • Milk and Honey
  • Healing the Heart (Pillow Thoughts #2)
  • The Chaos of Longing
Gabbie Hanna is an American YouTuber with over 6,000,000 subscribers. She is the author of Adultolescence, a comedian, actress, and singer-songwriter.