Start by marking “Heads Will Roll” as Want to Read:
Heads Will Roll

Read Book

Heads Will Roll

What if, in the near future, we could choose the body we wanted? We could visit a store front, much like a neighborhood mom-and-pop shop, and we’d see all the available bodies lined up in a glass-enclosed case. We’d be able to choose the body we wanted, purchase it, have an operation, and wham bam! wake up with our new body.

Dr. Farkis begins his head transplant operations
Published (first published May 21st 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Heads Will Roll, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heads Will Roll

Start your review of Heads Will Roll
Kirsty ❤️
Jul 19, 2018 rated it liked it
When I looked ta the reviews for this before reading they were really polarised; people seemed to love it or hate it. I think I'll fall somewhere on the enjoyment side of the scale.

It's a bonkers B-movie shock schlok of a book.It's pretty mental although there is a blog on the authors page about how there really is a doctor who wants to perform head transplants.

None of the characters are very deep or greatly described, the plot is quite light and half of it doesn't really make a lot of sense how
Kayla Krantz
3.5/5 Stars

Solid thriller built on an interesting concept! Each of the characters had their own reasons for wanting a new body, not to mention how far each were willing to go to achieve their goal. I loved the suspense wrapped around every moment of this book as the separate elements slowly became intertwined into one heart-pounding tale. The plot went a little out there at some points and blended with secrets, greed, and blackmail, it’s definitely an attention grabber.

I recommend it to fans of
Acanthea Grimscythe | The Ghastly Grimoire
I’m a fan of the strange and, after hearing about the intent to attempt head transplants on humans some time ago, I decided to give Heads Will Roll by Joanie Chevalier a read. I must admit that I am disappointed as my expectations for this novel were extremely high.

Before I go into detail on what I didn’t like about Heads Will Roll, I feel it is necessary to say that Chevalier excels at creating realistic characters. While I may feel there are far too many roles to keep up with, the characters i
Mac Dubista Keso The Bibliobibuli v(=∩_∩=)
Joy Mutter
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My review of Heads Will Roll by Joanie Chevalier

Heads Will Roll by Joanie Chevalier

This is the first book I’ve read by Joanie Chevalier, so I was unsure what to expect. I found her style easy to digest and the story grabbed me from the start. The unusual subject matter was intriguing and pleasingly dark. Head transplant surgery is an interesting, novel hypothesis. It could make some readers queasy to even consider, but mankind enjoys a challenge, so I wouldn’t be surprised if a surgeon transplants a head onto a body one day a
Sandy
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the story line. The premise of head/body transplants are usually related to robots and cyborgs. No science fiction in this book! There was so much going on. Never a dull moment!

Throughout the book you learn the characters connection to each other. It’s as if each personal connection coordinates with the connection of each vein and spinal cord from the body to the head. The connections can be severed. Relocating and then reattaching may be accomplished, but it may not be completely success
Lucretia
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a fun mash of bizarre medical thriller and mob/political intrigue. It is told from varying perspectives that wind together. I enjoyed the Frankenstein aspects best, the doctor was a real hoot. There were several patients who for their own personal reasons were not only willing, but some very desperate to be guinea pigs in a head transplant operation that our mad doctor was trying to perfect. While this is going on there are other more grounded threads in the story with a mobster, some t ...more
Vivienne Neal
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Creepy Tale With A Sinister Twist

I enjoyed reading this story. What an edge on your seat terrifying thriller, which focuses on people who will do just about anything to have the ideal body, and the doctor who will cross the line, to make their dreams a reality. The well-written plot moves between Japan and California, with some multifaceted characters that you will either despise or sympathize with. The interweaving of the two countries makes for a intriguing and gripping tale filled with unbe
Terry Marchion
May 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Joanie has written a book that will keep you thinking well after you finish it. There were times that this book reminded me of the late-night B movies, which isn't a bad thing at all.

The main thrust of the book, which is really ripped from the headlines, is handled quite well, I think. I thought at first that there should have been more science in the book, but once I finished I realized that would have spoiled the almost campy atmosphere that permeated the story.

Joanie did a great job writing t
Wan Cloud
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The book is well-written. It has a very unique plot. The story is about head transplant surgery. A little creepy for me. But I enjoyed reading it. It is very interesting to read about the ability to transplant your head onto a different body. I would recommend this book to those who love medical thriller.
Helen
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved the idea of this book, that a crazy scientist/doctor would experiment with cutting people's heads off and giving them a new body. And I believe that there are people would who be mad enough to want to try it - not people who are crippled, like Barry in the story, but those who are just not satisfied with their bodies or want a certain image.
The story goes along at a nice pace, with the right amount of suspense and back story, keeping you wondering whether the operation will be a success
Linda Berry
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a thrilling, twisted experience! Dealing with some pretty out there subject matter, the author is still able to suspend reality. Good pace, nice character development. Dealing with characters so desperate for a new body they will risk the unthinkable—a head transplant! Visit this unique story to find out the menacing developments that wait in the shadows.
Chandra Fry
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller
I could not put this book down! I was fascinated by the concept and drawn in anticipation to see what the characters were going to do. A great read!
Gillian Polson
Aug 10, 2017 rated it liked it
This is quite a macabre story. I couldn't wait to find out what happened after a transplant. It was frightening the way especially Barry, desired a new body at any cost. Dr Farkis reminded me of Dr Frankestein. It's an easy to read book. Thank you Joanie x
Bob
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, horror
I just can't resist a bad horror movie. This was the book equivalent. You know going in it's a potential stinker, but you just can't help yourself. Sure the book is poorly written and there are holes in the plot so big you could jump through them, but it's like a car wreck that you can't take your eyes off of. The premise, a doctor who has been working on perfecting head transplants had the perfect grindhouse feel to it. So yes, this was an awful book and i'm ashamed to say i kinda enjoyed it.
Shervin Jamali
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
An original concept with pace to match that will keep the reader engaged and intrigued; I enjoyed it. I'm docking a star due to the climax. It had a nice build that ended with a pop, instead of a bang, in my opinion. I hope Ms. Chevalier decides to rewrite her "explosive" ending. All in all, a really good read.
Tony Parsons
Jun 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Tokyo, Japan. Aiko like most fathers in the world wanted the best for his daughter/sister Kaneko (19).
Aiko went to see Dr. Stefan Farkis.
Oakland, CA. Brett (middle brother), & Jim (oldest brother, boss), ran the family business Andersen & Sons Funeral Home & Crematorium.

Joey (24, youngest brother) had taken a buyout. But now he left Silicon Valley & wanted back in the business.
Spotlights were shining in the front windshield & they were surrounded by 4 weilding men with AK-47 Rifles.
Shots were f
Clabe Polk
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Too fat? Have your head grafted onto a new body. Have a terminal illness? No problem! Simply pay your money and there’s a brand new body waiting for you at your local surgeon’s illicit operating warehouse.

Just one minor problem. No one has yet survived the surgery. Who will be the first? Will it be Barry? Barry is a wheelchair ridden victim of a fatal disease who is desperate for a new disease-free body and who wouldn’t mind the ego-boost of being the first survivor.
Or, will it be Baby, a blonde
D.B. Kennison
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is odd…but in a creepy good way. At first, the premise seemed far-fetched and futuristic in concept. It would be a while before we had the science nailed down for such things as body transplants, right?

Then, I Googled it and WOW! There’s a doctor out there who says such a surgery is not only possible but something he’s ready to do within the year. The thought is strangely unnerving and yet exciting. Imagine being able to give someone with a degenerative muscular disease a chance at a
Vanessa Haley
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Heads Will Roll" by Joanie Chevalier is a very unexpected book that crosses many different genres including medical thrillers, horror and crime. Based on the presumption that it has become medically possibility to change people's heads to new bodies. The story is anything but normal with twists and turns that readers will never expect.

When some very unethical medical specialists begin to experiment changing heads on human's to new bodies in an underground operation, things go from bad to worse
Dez Nemec
Apr 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, 2018
Dr. Stefan Farkis is attempting to launch himself into science history by perfecting head transplant operations. The problem is, his work has not yet been approved for use on humans. And the operation requires both bodies and the heads. Finding volunteers for the heads would be easy - lots of people would love to trade bodies due to illness, age, or obesity. But where to find the body donors...?

The story flips back and forth from Kaneko and Aiko in Japan to Dr. Farkis and Barry in San Francisco,
Samantha
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Dr Farkis is a genius and pioneer in medicine. He can give you a new body, but it comes at a price. A Tokyo father is disappointed that his daughter is unmarried because of her size; it is a matter of honour that this is remedied and he is willing to put his daughter through this procedure to fulfill his wish. Barry a cripple with a failing body, is desperate for. a new one and on hearing about this procedure, tracks thr doctor down and begs to be a guinea pig in this procedure.

I enjoyed this st
Gordon Bickerstaff
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Takes Dr Frankenstein's experiments to a whole new level.

This story paints a picture in the near future when cosmetic surgery has expanded to include designer bodies, and it's possible to choose the body we always wanted? Dream or nightmare? This is a memorable medical thriller featuring Dr Farkis who takes Dr Frankenstein's experiments to a whole new level. Characterisation and scene setting are interesting, very well constructed and believable. The pace of the book is good and kept me turning
Theresa
Jan 18, 2018 rated it liked it
I give Joanie Chevalier a bravo for the imaginative, bizarre and disturbing scenario she developed with characters who didn’t understand what they were getting themselves into. This kind of story is not my cup of tea. However I did read to the end, curious how the scenario played out.

The search to improve one’s physical appearance leads some of the book’s characters to an extreme and dangerous solution, a solution offered by a crazy doctor who will risk it all to realize his dream – head transp
Stacey
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ummmm.......

When I first started to read this, I thought it had a very interesting premiss. But, the more I read, I thought it was ridiculous, until it dawned on me that it was actually a strange comedy??? The characters were either melodramatic or stereotype weird characterizations of unreal cartoon characters. I did read the whole thing, and I read it quite fast, so it did hold my attention. But, I did not know whether to laugh or what. Had the humor been more obvious I would have known for su
Mcf1nder_sk
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Here's an interesting book I came across on BookBub. Part Robin Cook medical thriller, part Stephen King horror, with a healthy dash of Frankenstein thrown in for good measure, Heads Will Roll is the story of a doctor trying to perfect the first successful head transplant. Barry is a young man with Multiple Sclerosis who wants a healthy body. This is a very unique story, but the author Joanie Chevalier based the premise on the true story of Dr Canavero and his team.
Chevalier had created a good
Sarah Butland
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
The plot is thick from the very first chapter and thickens which each parallel story weaved throughout. Starting with a desperate young girl, eager to please her family - especially her beloved father, and do what was right for everyone. When her father invites her to the local fish market it's not so unusual but the escape through a hidden door starts a life-changing journey she'll want to forget.

Follow Kaneko as she explores a new scientific method in hopes of living up to her "full" potentia
Marbea Logan
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was very creepy and sinister. For all the gore and madness there was sentimental moments with the characters that gave the storyline an emotional point of view. The only thing that I don't like is the way the people of color from Oakland are represented. I was born and raised in Compton, I love the Raiders and know for a fact as a California native that the men don't speak that way or listen to Kanye West. Not all people of color listen to hip hop. There were many stereotypes in the st ...more
Sarah Northwood
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Captivating medical thriller

I absolutely devoured this thriller, eating up the fabulous story and wonderful writing. It was captivating and fictional novel based around the idea of the ability to transplant your head onto a different body. In many way’s this is all the scarier as this scientific advancement is hitting headlines in real life and may soon become scientific fact. The Author’s style is easy to read, the characters well-formed and likeable, there’s a nice bit of romance and suspense
Chrissy
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Am I a 10? Tell me I'm beautiful.

The only problem I had was it just wasn't long enough! 50 years ago, the premise would have been completely sci-fi, laughable, even. But transplanting a head onto a new body isn't a topic that is so strange anymore. You have a crazy as shit doctor just experimenting away on all these characters. There are different character storyline that mesh well with the doctor. And if you want a greater theme, it's a satire on how the world views the body image.
It really is
« previous 1 3 next »
Head Transplants 1 4 Jun 12, 2017 10:45AM

• Dark Voyage (Tales from the Dark Past, #1)
  • They Are Watching You
  • Nightmare House (Harrow House, #1)
  • Mountain of the Dead
  • Famished (Ash Park, #1)
  • The Broken Ones
  • My Dead World
  • The Haunting of H. G. Wells
  • Only the Truth
  • Wrath (Lieutenant Harrington #1)
  • From Away
  • The Zodiac Killer (Zodiac Killers #1)
  • The Haunting of Towneley Manor: 'The Haunting of' Series - Book 1
  • Colony of the Lost
  • Tuesday's Child
  • Story of a Soul: The Autobiography of St. Therese of Lisieux
  • Pocketful of Bones
  • Blind River (Mackley & Lassiter, #1)
Hi! I love to write thrillers, romance-suspense, crime, humor, nonfiction, short stories and anything else that pops into my head. I am the mother of weird children and cute Chihuahuas. I love new readers because I'm a new author, so we can be great friends.