Start by marking “The Sewing Machine” as Want to Read:
The Sewing Machine

The Sewing Machine

It is 1911, and Jean is about to join the mass strike at the Singer factory. For her, nothing will be the same again.

Decades later, in Edinburgh, Connie sews coded moments of her life into a notebook, as her mother did before her.

More than 100 years after his grandmother’s sewing machine was made, Fred discovers a treasure trove of documents.  His family history is laid
Published April 17th 2017 by Unbound Digital

To ask other readers questions about The Sewing Machine, please sign up.
Natalie Fergie Thank you.
I'm not planning a sequel, but I am writing a second book where there are connections between some people, if that makes sense?
Emily Murphy
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Taryn
Secrets are hidden in the fabric and creases of the old hospital. They turn up on a daily basis, but their importance is not always recognised by those who discover them.

Decades separate these four characters, but they are all tied together by a sewing machine:
• Clydebank, 1911: Jean (18yo) is a sewing machine tester at the local Singer Factory. The workers are about to strike and she's forced to choose between her father who demands compliance and her rebellious boyfriend who's encouraging he
Kate
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The uniqueness of this book comes in the form that the reader follows the tale of a Singer Sewing machine from it’s “birth” on the production line in Clydebank, Glasgow in the early 1900s. It is at the Singer factory that we meet the first of the wonderfully rich characters, Jean. A young woman, who believes in doing the right thing and following her heart, Jean takes part in a strike at the factory which in turn leads to a change of life for her.

The inheritance of the sewing machine by Fred bri
Joanne Robertson
The first thing I did when I finished The Sewing Machine was to call my mum to tell her she HAD to buy this book. The second thing I did was to sit and wonder how on earth I was going to write a review that would manage to convey just how much this book affected me and how I would ever find the words to convince others to buy and read this stunning book! It is currently now sitting at the top of my favourite reads for 2017.

Everything about this book worked for me! I always find that the setting
Love
Apr 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The cover of the book is instantly appealing. I could connect with the title, The Sewing Machine and relate to it to my childhood. When my mother and I would visit John Lewis department store on a Saturday, to pick out material for my Cabbage Patch Dolls new dress. Which my mum then made on her Singer Sewing Machine. So that was instantly appealing, then to read that Edinburgh played a part too, well that sold it completely to me. As that’s my home city.

The book is like a warm blanket on a nippy
Fictionophile
"The sewing machine has provided work in manufacture, eased work in the home and facilitated work when there was none to be had."

A well researched historical novel that alternates between several timelines.

1911 Clydebank, Scotland where we meet an eighteen year old Jean who works as a sewing machine tester at the Singer Factory. At that time, the Singer Factory was all powerful and employed thousands of workers.  It even had its own railway station and its own trains. Jean lives with her dominee
Missy
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I was little I remember standing by my mom’s side watching her sew me and my sister new clothes. When I was about 10 we went to an auction and my mom bought this old Singer sewing machine, wood with little drawers on the side, I thought it was for decoration, but this was a machine for me to learn on. I am not sure what ever happened to this old machine, I am sure it was sold again on an auction. Many years later my husband would by me a new Singer, and that is what I quilt on today. But it ...more
Linda Lpp
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Am loving this book. Reminders of the Singer sewing machine in our family from the late 1940's into 2005. My Mother lovingly spending "her don't bother I'm sewing" time , as she sewed dresses for her five daughters.

Interesting story spanning different generations. I admit about 2/3 of the way through for some reason I started to get confused as to who some of the characters were. Is this the grandmother or the mother or..(you get the idea). I'm not really fascinated with family trees, so perhaps
Joanne
Apr 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first heard about this book when the author contacted me back in December last year to ask if I might be interested in reading her forthcoming novel. I was really intrigued by the idea of the story - following a sewing machine and its owners over the years - and the fact that it was set partly in Leith and other areas of Edinburgh sold it to me. I am so glad I said I would read it as I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The idea of following the story of an object throughout its life is one that really app
Mairead Hearne (swirlandthread.com)
3 secrets. 27 notebooks. 4 generations. 1 blog. Millions of stitches.

The Sewing Machine is the debut novel from Natalie Fergie, a book that spans generations from the 1911 mass strike at The Singer Factory in Clydebank, Scotland to more than 100 years later to 2016 in Leith.

Natalie Fergie takes the reader on a journey with a sewing machine and it’s impact on the generations that followed.

The Sewing Machine is a book with a big heart.

Following the story of Jean, we are taken back to a time in h
Shona Kinsella
Apr 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unbounders
Although I have read in this genre, it's not my go-to but this book has moved the genre higher up my list.

The first thing that struck me is the prose. Well-written throughout and at times beautiful, I enjoyed the craftsmanship and envy the skill.

The story is charming with tense and touching scenes in equal measure. Read it with the tissues handy! I was very impressed with how deftly the author wove the strands of so many lives together in a tapestry only fully revealed at the end.

I am in awe
Tracy Shephard
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From the start you just know The Sewing Machine is going to be a little treasure.

Set in three timeline 1911, 1954 and 2016, getting to know each of the characters was just amazing. Each timeline is written perfectly for the era. the strike in the factory and the consequences of that which affects Jean, the brilliance of the 1950's NHS where the Sister would make tea in china cups to deliver bad news and the modernity 2011.

Jean, Connie and Fred each have a history to the Singer sewing machine tha
virginia king
Dec 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Great first attempt

Although I very much enjoyed the characters and their individual stories, I found the whole tying up process of the families very baffling, particularly the last chapter, by which time, I no longer cared!! However, I suggest the author DOES give up her day job, as I think she has the makings of a good storyteller.
Deanne Patterson
I requested this because I remember my grandmother sewing all the time on her Singer sewing machine when I was a child. My grandfather even made her a wooden sewing machine table for it. This book takes place in three time frames 1911, 1954 and 2016. Don't be put off and not read it though because of this. The time frames all eventually come together in the end. Sometimes families do unconventional things that for that time period seem alright to do but are questioned by later generations. This ...more
Alyssia Cooke
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A slow and gentle read that flits between multiple characters surrounding the same old sewing machine. From 1911 with the original owner of this sewing machine, to the modern day and following several linked families and tales.

It is an enjoyable read but the time switching and character switching was difficult to keep track of and I often found myself confused about which timeline or character I was in and how they linked together. It all did become clear in the last sections and everything line
Kelly Furniss
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The most wonderful tale is told of the owners, both men and women of a Singer sewing machine which links two generations of families as it changes hands. We follow it from the production line to restored in the current day.
The book explores the changes of Scottish social history in over one hundred years and I really enjoyed the depth of historical detail and learnt a lot whilst it still remained a cosy read with some gentle moments. A story told well with great research and a book I enjoyed ver
Elinor
Oct 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would have given this book four stars or maybe even five were it not for the dang triple timeline, as the action hopped back and forth among three generations, all of whom use the same sewing machine. Just as I felt I was getting to know one character and being very interested in his or her life, I turned the page and was catapulted into another time and place. I know this is a literary device that some authors use to great effect, but in this case it was just confusing.

On the plus side, as a
Paula Sealey
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This was an enjoyable enough read following the journey of a Singer sewing machine through three different eras and the tribulations of the machines owners. For me however, there were far too many leaps back and forth between characters and timelines which made it difficult to keep up with the plot and become fully immersed in the story. There is lots of period detail, including events surrounding a strike at the Singer sewing machine factory and these additions were really interesting. The conc ...more
Bonnye Reed
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
GNA This novel takes us from 21 March, 1911 through the year 2016 in a rather unique way. We follow the lives of three generations of an English family as it is reflected in the use made of a manual hand cranked Singer sewing machine, from it's manufacture in Clydebank, England and into 2016. We are there for the first ever large scale strike by workers attempting to vote in a Union at their workplace at Singer Sewing Machines. Jean and her husband Donald are forced out of their manufacturing jo ...more
Rachel England-Brassy
Review to follow
Nanci
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I've read in ages! I look forward to more from this author!
Zoya
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a sucker for the working class struggle, especially for the period of early nineteen hundreds. Situated in Scotland, embroidered with a sewist's jargon and finished up with a heart warming double knot, this is a book tailored for me. A very visual message from our ancestors, will read again.
Nancy
Dec 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Sewing Machine by Natalie Fergie has the description: One Sewing Machine. Two Families. Three secrets. Four generations.

The author was a career nurse turned fabric dyer and textile enthusiast. She was inspired to write this novel by a Singer 99K found near the Singer sewing factory where it was made, which she purchased for 20 pounds.

The Sewing Machine was crowd funded by subscription and published through Unbound. Readers can pledge for a book at unbound.com.

I thought it would be interestin
Carie Harling
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

It's been ages since I posted a book review (yet another reason I wish there were 48 hours in a day), so you have to know that, if I post one, the book is way worth sharing.

The Sewing Machine has all of the things that I love in a story: multiple story lines, multiple generations, and enough intrigue to keep me turning the pages. Natalie has done all of this, and more, in The Sewing Machine, and that's where the whole wonderful story starts... with a sewing machine.
Add to all of that handcraftin
Sarah King
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I came across this book through a Facebook writers/arts group of which I am a member, and am I glad that I did?! I read this book in a couple of days – it hooked me so completely. This novel brings together the stories of Jean and Donald, Connie and Alf, and Fred, all taking place across different periods of the twentieth and twenty-first centuries, but all connected by one thing – A Singer Sewing Machine.

Fergie is a skillful storyteller, weaving the story together through chapters which deal wi
Yvonne
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first thing I noticed about this book was its cover. It appealed to me because I like to sew, I learnt from my Mum and my Nanna. The fact that I have seen my Mum use the old crank handle Singer sewing machine, that used to be my Nanna's, and it still worked, also helped.

We are introduced to some very memorable characters. Jean who used to work at the Singer Factory in Clydebank, Scotland in 1911 during the strike there, Connie a woman who really knows how to sew and can alter just about anyt
Brian
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I mostly read old books about technical and scientific discoveries, but there was just something about this that cried out to me. Perhaps it was the cover, which pretty well nails the old Singer sewing machine and of course, my mother had one, and we had one for years and I see them in all the museums we go to, and through this book I could see it and almost touch and smell it again, and my mother sitting there in the sewing nook, churning out all kinds of things for her growing family...

and the
Heather Corbishley
A delightful story that had me hooked from the start - I wanted to know what was in the envelope and with whom it would pop back up again. And I didn't guess it either!
While I enjoyed all the story lines, I particularly enjoyed reading Fred's blog entries, about his trials and tribulations adjusting to a new life, and then wrestling with his vintage sewing machine. Applause for the author for choosing to make this character male rather than develop an all female cast given the central theme of t
M Whitehouse
Apr 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Certainly was a good read.
Great story, kept me reading to piece together all the clues.
And some lovely social history new to me along the way.
Lainy
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Time taken to read - 1 day

Pages - 320

Publisher - Unbound

Source - Netgalley

Blurb from Goodreads

It is 1911, and Jean is about to join the mass strike at the Singer factory. For her, nothing will be the same again.

More than 100 years after his grandmother’s sewing machine was made, Fred discovers a treasure trove of documents. His family history is laid out before him in a patchwork of
Andreea Ursu-Listeveanu
When I stumbled upon The Sewing Machine on bookdepository (I think) I immediately knew I wanted to read the book. I didn't even cared much about the story, if it was with sewing and seamstresses, I'd take it.
My mother was a seamstress and I spent all my childhood and teenage years around fabrics, threads, scissors, and sewing talk. After my mom passed away, I found myself interested in sewing, trying to remember the things I didn't pay attention to when she was doing it. I learned a lot from sc
Hamden Sew and Vac 1 3 Oct 21, 2018 08:38AM
Kindle Book Club ...: Discussion, The Sewing Machine, Reading In Progress 39 20 Jul 28, 2018 06:50AM
Kramer's Sew & Vac Center 1 2 Jul 14, 2018 07:33PM
Kindle Book Club ...: SPOILER ALERT, The Sewing Machine, Reading Completed 9 15 Apr 21, 2018 03:38AM
Ninja Book Club: March Book Club Discussion 1 13 Mar 18, 2018 09:41AM
Guide to Finding Sewing Jobs 1 7 May 24, 2017 07:09AM
“the silence broken only by the tap of rook and pawn as they battled for victory in the hands of men.” 0 likes
“Thank you,’ he says, so quietly that she sees the words instead of hearing them.” 0 likes