Start by marking “A Season for Dying (Vikram Rana Mystery #2)” as Want to Read:
A Season for Dying (Vikram Rana Mystery #2)

A Season for Dying

(Vikram Rana Mystery #2)

A Season for Dying
Note from a killer
“This is Prakash writing. I am the murderer of Padma Manepally. I am attaching photos of her dead body taken in her apartment today to prove that I am indeed the killer. Old ladies make nice soft targets. I think I will wipe off an old lady next. …Catch me if you can.”

1st April, 11:30 am Charminar: A housewife is strangled to death.
Published April 6th 2017 by Self

To ask other readers questions about A Season for Dying, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Season for Dying

Start your review of A Season for Dying (Vikram Rana Mystery #2)
Supratim
Oct 21, 2017 rated it liked it
I would like to thank the author for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review.

I am giving the book a rating of 3.5

The story is set in the Indian city of Hyderabad. There is a serial killer on the loose and he emails the editor of a newspaper after each murder and reveals his intention for the next murder. He also taunts the Hyderbad Police to catch him.

Ex-cop turned private investigator Vikram Rana, the hero of the series, assists his friend ACP Gopi Reddy in the investigation
Rakhi Jayashankar
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
The key element in a thriller is suspense. The deepest the secret lies the more interesting the story would be. Sharmishta Shenoy through her Vikram Rana mystery series brings forth some interesting tales of suspense, mystery,thrills and action.
A Season for Dying, comes under the genre , in an irrevocably engaging investigation thriller. Vikram Rana, the private detective is in charge of a series of murders. A woman is murdered in her apartment and the murderer sends an email to press claiming
Rahul Basu
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I like to read murder mysteries because the logical skills of finding a pattern and deductive reasoning are often skilfully laid out. Ms Shenoy's A Season for Dying does not disappoint and illustrates the above point successfully.

Vikram Rana, Hyderabad's own Byomkesh Bakshi, is at his wit's end trying to trace a serial killer who is brazen enough to send letters to the press after each murder, challenging the Hyderabad police.

The writing style is simple yet elegant and the plot is challenging k
Aryan Sarath
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing

When I got this book, I never realised that the author has already penned few novels. I was made aware of this fact due to the presence of abstract of couple of stories in the end of the novel which seemed equally interesting and intriguing.

Coming to the actual novel - A Season for Dying is a perfect title for the novel since the death occurs eliminating one character or the other throughout the novel. It all begins with a murder of a housewife and it continues with the killing of few more incl
Sue Wallace
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
A Season For Dying Sharmishtha Shenoy.
Note from a killer
This was a good read with good characters. A little slow in places but picked up a little. 4*. Tbc on fb.
Gopesh P
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nice investigation thriller

A good investigation thriller to read. Explains every character and situation in a beautiful manner. This is a fictional story of a random killer inspired from some real characters. Must read if you love Investigation thriller.
Shreshtha Singh Rathore
As a reader, mystery novels are a true challenge for me. They simply demand a whole different level of your attention to the story and every little detail in it.

As a writer, I can’t even imagine constructing up that castle of mysteries.

Sharmishtha Shenoy has done an incredible job when it comes to the plot of the story. It is tightly knitted and you’ll find it hard to spot any loopholes. The narration is absorbing, it traps you in the story and forces you to do all the calculations in the frame
Sahil Pradhan
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
" a perfect tapestry of Indian style of writing and mystery."
the book leaves you enthralled with its twists and turns along with the final crescendo twist. the book is basically a detective story and even parallelly a pure murder mystery. the killer has an extraordinary attitude or habit of writing emails to an editor of a newspaper whenever he does a murder and writes how he would kill the next one. the detective, our ever lovely, Vikram Rana, cunningly connects all the dots and proves himself
Sayan Basak

• Language: English
• ASIN: B06XY3SY12
• Product Dimensions: 20.4 x 12.8 x 1.2 cm

THE PLOT IN BRIEF-

A note from a killer "This is Prakash writing. I am the murderer of Padma Manepally. I am attaching photos of her dead body taken in her apartment today to prove that I am indeed the killer. Old ladies make nice soft targets. I think I will wipe out an old lady next. ...Catch me if you can." 1st April, 11:30 am Charminar: A housewife i
Caroline Vincent
Jul 28, 2017 rated it liked it
When people are randomly murdered and the serial killer openly challenges the Hyderabad Police, only one man is able to stop the murderer: Vikram Rana

| Introduction |

Vikram Rana #2

When a lovely young woman is murdered in her own home and as we read “he mentally struck one name off his list,” you know a killer is on the loose and he will strike again. What we are not yet aware of is the killer’s need for attention which comes to light with every letter he writes, announcing the date of the next
A.
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
A young housewife is killed brutally and the grotesque pictures and the date of next murder are mailed to the editor of The Telangana Times. Initially he thinks it's an April fool prank but when the news of the murder is confirmed he forwards the mail to the Police Commissioner for detailed investigation.

What follows later is the investigation, enquiry etc. But is it a serial killer or a psychopath or is someone making it look like one?

Inspector Gopi Reddy and Vikram Rana get involved in this
Ranjini
Jun 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Vikram Rana is an ex-cop who was transferred (from Hyderabad to Vizag) by the commissioner of police, when he was about to bust a corrupt politician.
Frustrated and homesick, he quits the force and comes back to Hyderabad, and opens his own detective agency.

This book is the second in the series.

A murder of a young woman, Padma, not only shakes the city - but gives the Hyderabad police and locals a lot to worry about.
The killer sends an email to the editor of a popular newspaper - acknowledging hi
Manjri Gopalan
Apr 18, 2019 rated it liked it
'A Season for Dying' is a murder mystery and quick page-turner book. The plot is interesting but the writing style could be improved. The story starts with the murder of a young woman in the old city of Hyderabad and a journalist gets an email from the killer informing about the crime. The journalist passes on the information to the Hyderabad Police Commissioner and that's how the Police gets on to solving the case.

The plot keeps you glued to the book but there are some open-ended items like the
Chandini
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
oh my goodness!! had to give it 5 stars because I couldn't find a single flaw! Author is way too underrated.
Checklist:
1. Good writing? check! (No extensive use of Thesaurus just to sound fancy, simple and smooth writing with impeccable editing)
2. Plot and Story? check! (well researched, not a hollow story with insensible plot. Might not be Sherlock Holmes standards where the twist is at the end you can see it coming but it's totally worth the read too!)
3. Creativity? a 100% check (amidst conv
Anupama Dalmia
May 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
A taut and pacy thriller. It's not easy to keep the readers completely captivated in a whodunit but the author succeeds in doing so without leaving a scope for any plot loopholes. Everything in the end ties together. Also, I almost could not guess the culprit till the end which is the strength of books of this genre. I love the characterization of Vikram Rana and he reminds me of the iconic Karamchand. Looking forward to read more in this series. The editing was a letdown and I really wish the e ...more
Boundless Book Reviews
The one must have for a murder mystery is suspense and A Season for Dying is loaded with it! I loved the story and its many twists. It’s definitely worthy of the mystery genre! I love the process of solving the murders as much as the game the killer is playing. I strongly recommend A Season for Dying, by Sharmishtha Shenoy.

This is the second Vikram Rana book I’ve read and I was not disappointed. This mystery demonstrates an excellent writing style with obvious talent. Another huge 4 Boundless St
Sona
Apr 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When it comes to mysteries, murder, whodunit, Sharmishtha Shenoy is excellent. I am not sure how she is able to pull it always together. It is the second book on my shelf from Shenoy. I am sure there will be more in near future too. This is a rather brilliant story. It has intriguing clues, plenty of suspects all with strong motives, lots of red herrings and misdirection, and, of course, the hugely entertaining interplay between Vikram Rana and his wife Veena. There are possible suspects for eac ...more
Riju Ganguly
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This intriguing murder mystery turned out to be an ideal read for a dark and windy night. It began with a murder. Very soon it became a complex and rather labyrinthine case where apparently random people are being murdered.
Serial Killing is a tough business, as we all know. In this novel those aspects are considered at length. But clues are also revealed before Vikram (and us) that suggest something different.
Then we have a proper, Christyesque climax!
This book, despite several typographical err
Soumyodeep Bhattacharjee
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great supense

Very addictive read.. Kudos to Sharmishtha for keeping it very interesting till the absolute end of it using simple narratives. Loved reading and will look for more to come
Aritra Chakraborty
Apr 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
The first part of these series has interesting plot. Now this time it is more improved.
Thriller lovers will definitely enjoy the story.
And for language – simple is good.
Priya Patade
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The most amazing part of this book was it has created the curiosity as we turn on the pages... which is what I njoyed the most in this book.
Thank You for such a lovely book Shenoy Ma'am!!
Madhuban
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was gifted this novel by Sharmishtha Shenoy di in return of an honest review. I swell with pride to have witnessed the journey of an author from better to best.

Vikram Rana is our detective-next-door. Very relatable, very humble, unlike all the larger-than-life detective heroes we have read about so far.

Apart from the complex murder plot, I really like the way the author defines every character in the story, however negligible. There are some references to movie characters and real life people,
Natasha
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love nothing more than a good whodunnit, and Sharmishtha Shenoy’s books qualify. I saw it coming, but didn’t quite see it coming. And then the clues all came together just before the official reveal. And that’s exactly how I like it.
The descriptions of my adopted home leave me waiting for more.
Soumalya
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
So after an extremely promising start with Vikram Rana Investigates, Mrs. Shramistha Shenoy is back with a sequel . Was eagerly anticipating this followup and must say it didn't disappoint. The dynamic duo of Gopi Reddy and Vikram Rana, Vikram's controlling and caring wife, the hilarious tiffs between the couple are all there and instantly draw us into the comfort zone of a familiar character we are gradually becoming fond of. However, the mystery is new and so is the menacing villain. Vikram is ...more
Sid Sharma
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I did enjoy reading this thriller, more because I was not able to guess the killer even for a once before the final two chapters. Won't reveal anything important or secretive about it, but definitely say that it's a good read because the plot is interestingly amalgamated with many interesting characters in the novel. Also, this novel is the reality check of the society, any serious reader can find out that.
Shamik
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Superb thriller

I love reading detective stories and this was no exception to it. A very nice thriller story to read. If you like reading thriller and murder mysteries i recommend this book strongly. Give it a read, you'll like it.
Alifiyah Shabbir
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Writers who attempt detective stories usually do not know that like all other genres, a whodunit also has standard rules to follow. While there is no hard and fast rule that they strictly are conformed to, a thorough knowledge of them is in order to be able to deviate from them and yet be able to make an impact on the readers.

A typical reader of the detective genre is mostly looking to solve the puzzle, sometimes even before the detective himself manages to! The plot of the story, therefore, has
Rdgreat
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A season for dying by Sharmishtha Shenoy

This is another masterpiece form the author Sharmishtha Shenoy who delivered yet another
thriller for the suspense lovers.Incidentally the author Sharmishtha Shenoy herself loves crime thrillers which led her to write some for the readers.Originally hailing from West Bengal and settled in Hyderabad, with a PG degree from UK, the author never fails to keep the reader engaged and entertained with her crime stories.

The story of "A season for dying " is set in
D.R. Downer
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I had read Sharmishtha Shenoy's earlier book, 'Vikram Rana Investigates', and quite liked her style of writing. So, when she approached me to read and review her latest in the series, 'A Season for Dying', I immediately agreed; and I'm glad that I did.

While the first book saw the protagonist, Vikram Rana, investigate a high-profile murder, this one sees him trying to catch a serial killer on the loose in the city of Hyderabad.

The author clearly loves reading crime fiction, and that is evident in
Aniruddha Rege
May 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
A brutally short review of a mediocre detective story:

A Season for Dying by Sharmishtha Shenoy

For those of you who've read my past reviews, you know I don't normally give bad reviews. Picked this book up because I needed something fast, easy to read and not requiring too much brain power for a nice bus ride. And what better than a detective novel, thought I! Wrong was I!

Pros: The detective in question is not a functioning alcoholic genius with a brutal past he's trying to come to terms with. He'

• The Colours of Passion: Unravelling Dark Secrets behind the Limelight
  • The Sinister Silence
  • Police Surgeon: A New Exotic Thriller with a Killer Twist
  • 3 and a Half Murders
  • Killing Ashish Karve : An Inspector Saralkar Mystery
  • Killer Moves
  • The Murder of Sonia Raikkonen
  • Son of Bhrigu (The Pataala Prophecy Book 1)
  • Seduced by Murder
  • The Monsoon Murders
  • PRALAY: The Great Deluge
  • Murder in the elevator part 2
  • KASHI: Secret of the Black Temple (Harappa Series)
  • The Sinners
  • Who Killed the Murderer?
  • Tongue-in-Cheek: The Funny Side of Life
  • The Vizag Sabotage: A spy thriller inspired by true events
  • Smoke and Ashes (Sam Wyndham, #3)
Sharmishtha Shenoy is the author "Murder in the Chowdhury Palace" published by Vishwakarma Publications. She is also the author of the Vikram Rana Mystery series. The books that are part of the series are:
Vikram Rana Investigates, A Season for Dying, Behind the Scenes and Fatal Fallout. Murder in the Chowdhury Palace, A Season for Dying and Behind the Scenes has reached #1 in hot new releases.
Her

Vikram Rana Mystery (4 books)
  • Vikram Rana Investigates (Vikram Rana Mystery #1)
  • Behind the Scenes (Vikram Rana Mystery #3)
  • Fatal Fallout (Vikram Rana Mystery #4)