Start by marking “The Gathering Edge (Liaden Universe Book 20)” as Want to Read:
The Gathering Edge (Liaden Universe Book 20)

The Gathering Edge

(Liaden Universe Publication Order #20)

A series milestone as we welcome the twentieth amazing entry in the nationally best-selling Liaden Universe® series.

The luck runs rough around Theo Waitley. Not only are people trying to kill her and capture the self-aware intelligent ship Bechimo to whom Theo is bonded, they’re also trying to arrest her crew members, and throw the dignity of an important passenger, the
Published May 2nd 2017 by Baen Books

To ask other readers questions about The Gathering Edge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gathering Edge

Start your review of The Gathering Edge (Liaden Universe Book 20)
Beth
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-arc
Very nice! Some separate story points at different angles but primarily Theo's story. I do love the new additions to Val Con's collection and while not a cliffhanger - I do wish the final chapter involved a Surebleak debriefing or at least the content of the emails!

But it will be interesting if both Ambassador parties descend on Korval together! Poor Miri her reaction will be priceless.
Kathleen
Bungluna
Feb 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
At this rate, I'll be long-gone before we get to any resolution in this series. I feel like each installment just adds more questions to the mix and answers non.

There's a reference to the YXstrang ambassador, from "Agent of Change" which was kind of neat.

It seems apparent than more than meets the eye is going on in Eylot, from Theo's earlier days.

A character who was just an ass in a previous book may be more of a villain than I thought.

That's pretty much it.
Mary Lee
This is a relatively recent installment in the wonderful Liaden Universe books. Though not quite my favorite volume in the saga, "The Gathering Edge" comes close to that high mark. It is a joy, nothing less, to spend time with these characters. This book is comparatively light on action scenes, but rich in character moments. Characters both new and familiar are revealed with grace, heart, and skill. The worth of the main characters, and their care for one another is very nicely shown. I especial ...more
Coyora Dokusho
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I stayed up way too late reading the e-arc. Was pleasantly surprised that it was a Theo story!!! I thought we had another year to wait~ I can't think of anything about this book that was bad, everything was awesome, at times, epic, and always entertaining.
Laura (Kyahgirl)
3.5/5; 4 stars; B+

This book is definitely a meat and potatoes, middle of a longer story arc kind of book. There are so many story arcs in play in the wide Liaden universe that involve members of Korval that it takes some focus to keep track of them. I really enjoyed reading all the threads but would never recommend jumping into the series here. Sharon Lee and Steve Miller are Ambitious! Their Liaden Universe is complex and holds a big story. I really admire their skill and am glad I’
John
Aug 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Want to know what's in those mysterious boxes the Xtrang refugees haul on board Bechimo? Want to know anything about how and why the Primadonna came to be seized by Minot Station? Want to know what's in the mysterious cargo pod from Primadonna that the Bechimo takes on? Seeing as he toddles offstage as soon as Bechimo makes it's next port, are you wondering why the rescue of the Primadonna's detained pilot is even in this story, except to add at least A LITTLE suspense to the episode? Sing for i ...more
Teresa Carrigan
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Excellent space opera! The story line stays close to Theo most of the time, which makes it easier to follow than some of the other Liaden Universe books. There is NO need to have read the previous Theo books, and I like the way that just enough background was woven into the story right where it was needed so that those new to the series or those with poor memories won't be lost.

This was the eARC. I suspect very few changes between this and the official first edition. Spelling and gra
Michele Cox
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Existing fans of Liad - not a starter book
Shelves: spec-fic, liad
Finally, finally, finally we're back with Theo and the mysterious arrival of Cantra's Spiral Dance and the tiny Tree! Also more Yxtrang, more history, more glimpses of the wider political goings-on, more about norbears... :)

I really, really enjoyed this -- am in mid-re-read now. I admit, I look forward with a great deal of anticipation to what I expect to be the (view spoiler) ...more
Waverly
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
The plotting in this one is dynamite. Important developments take place in this novel concerning the Yxstrang people and the personhood of AI beings -- here, in the character of Joylita, Bechimo's communications officer. Ambassador Hevelin lets us learn more about norbears, and we see the excitable sapling from Spiral Dance once again.

So, yes, it's a Theo book! Yet amazingly, for book #20 in the series, the novel is as the title suggests a precursor for conflicts to come as readers prepare for a new phase in
Dan
So awesome, totally enjoyable!
Li
May 30, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf, read-in-2017
This one didn’t really work for me. What I wanted was some sort of resolution (or at least progression) on the plot threads left dangling from previous books. What I got was Theo and crew hanging around on their ship in space. For a whole book. YMMV, but I wish I’d waited for the next book and then read both THE GATHERING EDGE and the sequel in one go (because things have to happen in the next book, surely?).
eyes.2c
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Joy and Bliss ... A further Lee and Miller addition to the Liaden Universe series.
Love Theo Waitley and her A1 ship Bechimo! The endeavours of A1 Joyita to become more human like are interesting. And then there's the baby tree!
The entry of two Pathfinders adds spice.
This series is so-o-o addictive!
Now I have to wait for the next one. Sigh!
Kevin Black
May 07, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked it, but it doesn't really have a satisfying ending. Reads like there is another sequel (duh).
Georgann
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, sci-fi
As always, I finish the book too fast. I never want them to end. But, it's only a few months until the next one's out. Whew! I love this series!
Kathy Martin
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The 20th Liaden Universe book focuses on Theo Waitley and her sentient ship Bechimo. They are in a far distant part of the galaxy in what Bechimo says is a safe place. However, they are in a location where flotsam from the destruction of the Old World keeps appearing. It isn't so bad when it is a teacup, but when Cantra yos'Phelium's empty ship appears that is something else. Especially when the only living thing on the ship is a tree much like Korval's tree strapped into the pilot's sear. Theo ...more
Sherrie
May 06, 2017 rated it liked it
If I had not personally met the authors I would swear the books in this series are written by a group of different people. There is such a dichotomy in writing styles between the books. I love the world created and some of the writing. You have the books written with great understanding, feeling and humor Local Custom, Fledgling and Saltation come to mind. You have the war books like Crystal Dragon where you get to the pinnacle of the book and a main character is nobling sacrificing himself and ...more
Scribal
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My weariness with the franchise continues.

However, I bit and bought the e-arc. I'm on chapter 27 of 39 and although a LOT COULD be said to be happening, the kinds of issues addressed by the text continues to be at this level of relentless detail:

"He turned as if to sit down, paused—and flung himself into his chair in full emergency haste. Win Ton came half out of his seat in response, then sank back as Joyita spun and smiled gently upon the bridge."

at least I won't have to ke
Karen
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sigh, I finished the book and the next one won't be out for a while. Another wonderful book in the Liaden Universe.

05/24/2018: Starting this book again. So good. It amazes me that a series can be this consistently good.
Debrac2014
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was good to see Theo again! I still wish she hadn't bonded with Bechimo.
Lis Carey
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks, f-sf, fiction
Theo Waitley and her intelligent, self-aware ship, Bechimo, are still looking for the proper balance between them, even as they try to make the best choices in a galaxy where it seems everyone is out to get them. Both the Scouts and rather darker forces want to seize Bechimo; various powers want to arrest various members of her crew, and of course Theo has learned she has an unlooked-for connection to Clan Korval, a connection which possibly brings her allies, but certainly makes her a target. ...more
Paraphrodite
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened, 2017
3.5 stars.

Not as good as the previous book, (view spoiler)
Jacqueline J
Pretty satisfying addition to the series. Not as good as the main books in the series (Agent of Change through I Dare) but I felt like we got a fairly good handle on Theo , Win Ton and Bechimo. This was mostly a things are moving along book.
Cmorganusjuno.Com
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another chapter in the Saga of Theo!

Very, very satisfying to get more about my favorite character, Theo. Now waiting with bated breath for the next installment.
JPT
May 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sff
Sarah Edmonson
May 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
This is part of a very long series from the Liaden Universe. The early novels in this series tended to be fairly self-contained, with a plot consisting of a central problem or problems that were largely resolved by end of story. In the process, a number of likable characters were introduced and developed and the details of this complex fantasy universe were revealed.

Over time, the novels began to stretch out the plots, moving to developing more complicated scenarios that did not resolve in the
DemetraP
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the earlier books in the Liaden Universe, Agent of Change through Plan B or I Dare. The Theo Waitley books plotlines bore me. I just don't care about artificial intelligences and all of the random people Theo manages to find to live on her ship.

Frankly, Gathering Edge bored me and felt like filler. NOTHING HAPPENED. We get 2 X Strain from hundreds/thousands of years ago coming through to a new universe. They have to learn a new language and get up to date on the history the
Carolyn
A little pedestrian and monotonous in the step by step of a space rescue mission, and some other day to day events. I found myself wishing for some real plot to begin, this was lots and lots of building blocks that go with the story still to come. Last third of the book started to get interesting, then a sharp end to the book (not a cliffhanger, per se), feels unfinished, which of course the story is.
Looking forward to the next book, and the continuation of the story, but if you can wait,
Susan Haseltine
May 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I like books by Lee and Miller and re-read them every few years. I enjoy keeping up with what is going on in their Liaden(TM) universe. Nor do I require lots of space battle type action, my by far favorite of the series being Conflict of Honors. This book is, as almost all the series books are, written to keep you involved and turning pages, which I appreciate since it is one of the major reasons I read. But I found the small animal passages a bit too self-involved and the whole structure too de ...more
Aaron Anderson
Ok, I'll rewrite this review.

If you enjoy the books once Theo and Bechimo joined together, you'll probably rate this as a 4star.
I semi-liked Theo before she joined up with her starship. Once that happened, I started to utterly loath the entire thing. The combination of boredom and my severe annoyance was simply too much.

So there you have it. I hated this book, but still read the whole thing because I love the Liadrin series as a whole and didn't want to be behind on
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• A Peace Divided (Peacekeeper, #2; Confederation, #7)
  • Cold Welcome (Vatta's Peace, #1)
  • Into the Fire (Vatta's Peace, #2)
  • A Call to Arms (Honorverse: Manticore Ascendant, #2)
  • The Flowers of Vashnoi (Vorkosigan Saga, #14.1)
  • The Privilege of Peace (Peacekeeper, #3; Confederation, #8)
  • The Bronze Skies (Major Bhaajan, #2)
  • Penric's Fox (Penric and Desdemona, #5)
  • Emissary (Kris Longknife, #15)
  • The Orphans of Raspay (Penric and Desdemona, #7)
  • Mira's Last Dance (Penric and Desdemona, #4)
  • Assassin’s Price (Imager Portfolio, #11)
  • The Black Wolves of Boston (Black Wolves of Boston)
  • Convergence (Foreigner, #18)
  • Assisted Living (EarthCent Universe Book 2)
  • Rita Longknife: Enemy Unknown (Jump Universe, #5)
  • A Call to Vengeance (Honorverse: Manticore Ascendant, #3)
  • The Prisoner of Limnos (Penric and Desdemona, #6)
Sharon Lee has been married to her first husband for more than half her lifetime; she is a friend to cats, a member of the National Carousel Association, and oversees the dubious investment schemes of an improbable number of stuffed animals.

Despite having been born in a year of the dragon, Sharon is an introvert. She lives in Maine because she likes it there. In fact, she likes it so m

Liaden Universe Publication Order (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Agent of Change (Liaden Universe, #9)
  • Conflict of Honors (Liaden Universe, #8)
  • Carpe Diem (Liaden Universe, #10)
  • Plan B (Liaden Universe, #11)
  • Local Custom (Liaden Universe, #5)
  • Scout's Progress (Liaden Universe, #6)
  • I Dare (Liaden Universe, #13)
  • Balance of Trade (Liaden Universe, #3)
  • Crystal Soldier (The Great Migration Duology, #1; Liaden Universe, #1)
  • Crystal Dragon (The Great Migration Duology, #2; Liaden Universe, #2)
“You must never assume or accept blame for being alive.” 0 likes