Start by marking “The Cartographer (The Compass, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Cartographer (The Compass, #6)

The Cartographer

(The Compass #6)

Reyes Walter is the man who engineers everyone’s happiness, and he’s never wanted anything else. He’s got a lucrative job as sovereign of the kink world and he delights in playing puppet master for everyone under his purview…which is everyone.

Allie Hart has got his hands full trying to find a job, and being there for his sister and her kids. Loyal to the bone, he’s not lo
Published June 26th 2017 by Tamsen Parker

To ask other readers questions about The Cartographer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cartographer

warhawke
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Light M/M kink
Genre: M/M Contemporary Romance
Type: Book 6 of 6 from The Compass series
POV: First Person - Male
Rating:

Reyes (Rey) Walter had a knack for making people happy. As a kink master, he was very receptive of others' needs and he used that skill to help his clients find compatible partners. However, he refused to let his own needs get in the way.

Allie Hart took his responsibilities seriously. With A family that needed him, he worked hard to make it work. Rey's presence in his life proved to be a mu
Mandi Schreiner
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: erotic, bdsm
Oh Reyes. Fans of The Compass series have greatly been anticipating Rey getting his HEA. The kink life coach who has helped so many others find their way in life to their own HEA, now finally gets his chance, and it comes in a man named Allie Hart.

Rey is a hard person to describe. In control, intense when needed, open and warm at other times. He works in the kink scene – helping dominates find subs. Helping both D/s learn how to be good dominants and subs so everyone is fulfilled and safe. He se
Xan West
2.5 stars, rounded down.

I do not recommend this book for disabled readers. I would caution queer and/or trans readers to tread carefully, and perhaps to read this review to go in prepared.

Note: I do not participate in keeping late reveals of marginalized identities to the reader "spoiler free". I do not put them under spoiler warnings, as I feel this kind of late surprise reveal is a framework that is deeply tied in to oppressive narratives, and I will not participate in it.

I have such complex
Briar's Reviews
If you're looking for heat this summer don't bother going outside, Tamsen Parker's The Cartographer brings all the heat and so much more!

This book infuriates me. Why, you might ask? Because it's the last (Yes! The last!!) book in the compass series. It's such a wonderful arching storyline over these six books and it's all done! The fantastic part that doesn't infuriate me, is how beautiful this story was tied together.

I really appreciated this book being in Reyes's point of view. Watching our o
Jackie
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 Reyes Walter, the "life coach" or "fixer" of people looking for help coming to terms with their BDSM preferences, and for partners whose own kinks align with theirs, has bullied, manipulated, supported, and nurtured several different kinky couples as they made their way from sex to long-term romance in the previous books in the Compass series. This one is the story of HIS romance, told in his first person voice.

After a tough out-of-town weekend, Rey isn't quite ready to go home to his work a
Tori
Originally posted at Heroes and Heartbreakers-https://www.heroesandheartbreakers.co...

Helping people is the best, most important thing I can do. It’s what I’ve chosen to be faithful to instead of whom.

Reyes (Rey) Llewelyn Walter calls himself a life coach. A purveyor of happiness. A kinky white knight. As the master of BDSM (no pun intended), Rey loves to dive in and work his magic on those he feels could benefit from his tutelage. Which, in his opinion, is everyone. He loves to create happily e
Trader (RedHotBlueReads)
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
Fans of this series have been waiting for Rey's story -- after all, he's the guy who always knows how to "fix" things for other people. Oh, and a kink-master, too. That's his specialty.

By chance, Rey meets Allie Hart and they hit it off right away. Allie isn't looking for favors or handouts, and that messes with Rey's head. The reader gets a very intimate look into Rey and how he feels -- the book is entirely in his first person point of view. Sometimes it was a little much and made me cringe a
Reading
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
First things first

I read quite a bit of BDSM and I appreciate authors that write it well. I'm excited to add Tamsen Parker on my go-to list for intelligent, sexy BDSM

Strengths: Good character development, well written M/M, sexy BDSM. This author shows an intelligence and sensitivity regarding culture, lifestyle, race, sexual identity, etc. and I add a star for that alone. That there were no sloppy, lazy use of stereotypes was deeply appreciated by this reader

Weaknesses: Sometimes a little repeti
Katherine
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I wondered whether I was going to enjoy Rey’s story. He’s a key character in all the previous stories, but comes across as god-like. It’s hard to imagine him having a true love. Plus the previous stories mention Matthew, with whom Rey is in a relationship. Thus I was surprised by how much I enjoyed Rey and Allie’s love story, how much I was rooting for them to find their HEA. I thoroughly enjoyed this book.

Bought from kobo
JenMcJ
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
From a POV of someone that has not read any of the other books, this is a stand alone in that I didn't have trouble following along or figuring out who people were. They obviously have backstories, but when the characters from past books show up, it seems more as a nostalgic bone for faithful series readers since the interactions and allusions to the past issues did not make me want to go read those books. But I could see how faithful readers would be comforted by the information gleaned about t ...more
Monica Vidal
I really liked this one. I gotta get it out there that BDSM books are not my jam, but somehow I end up always reading and liking them. Go figure.

I liked this one a lot. Rey is something else. Impossible to deal with but impossible not to love him. The only thing that bothered me was that Rey is latino, I think? And that wasn’t clear till half the book. Let me be clear about it: what bothered me was that it kinda made it feel like this was a secret. And why the fuck would it be a secret?! I didn
The_Book_Queen
Super kinky. Good dose of emotion. Interesting world and supporting characters. I really enjoyed this one. My first time reading Parker but it won't be my last. I enjoy her writing style, plus she does kink very, very well, and I appreciate that so much (especially after more than a few fiery duds that treat BDSM like throwaway plot fodder).

If you wish to look at some quotes/thoughts I highlighted, please check out my Twitter feed
Isabella
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: No one
A very loose 3 stars.
Problems I had: fell in to the telling instead of showing trap. The main characters phyce was not fully developed and I didn't really like him. The more I think about this long ass book that I had hoped for but fell more so flat the more I read. The intervention plot thing was awful to read. Not tensions full followed by release but so boring I actually just skim read.
The sexy times were flat to read.

I felt like the author defied some conventions and typicalities , we hav
Bibi
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Love the cover. Love the main character, Reyes Walter ( can you say scrumptious?). Did not love the story as much; also, the book- at 440 pages- was needlessly long and repetitive.

And oh, the sex scenes were clinical with zero sizzle. Overall, 2.5 stars
Allison
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
3.5 stars rounded up. I haven't read the rest of the series, and I'm not likely to. Not because I didn't enjoy this, but I'd be reading only to get more of Rey, and it's too many books for that.
I adored Rey, and while I never quite felt like I completely got enough to really know Allie, I did like him a lot. This started out amazing, I couldn't wait to read more, and then somewhere around the halfway point ... It just sort of became okay. I didn't feel compelled to keep reading, and when I did r
Jeannie Zelos
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Cartographer,  Tamsen Parker, (The Compass series Book 6),

Review from Jeannie Zelos book reviews

Genre: LGBTQIA, Romance, erotica

I've loved this series, some books more than others. I wasn't hooked with the first book, not totally, and looking back I can see that I just didn't understand the story, didn't understand or empathise with India. Now we're at the end and I know so much more of the characters I could go back and my review would be very different.

This is Rey's story ( Rey or Reyes y
Elena Johansen
If I were rating this as an emotional reaction to the love story and kink alone, five stars all the way. Rey gets his HEA (finally) at the end of a series I deeply love (if you ignore the novella about Hunter, which I do, because it's just a bad idea from start to finish). The four other books are all brilliant.

This does a lot of things right, representation-wise, and needs to be applauded for that, as well. The two leads are both queer MoC, and Allie specifically is an big, outwardly masculine
Meags
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
TL;DR: START FROM THE BEGINNING OF THIS SERIES FOR A WALLOP OF A  FINISH

***

THE STORY:
I have found that even when a series of romance novels tends to be a collection of "standalones", reading previous books is an asset to the enjoyment of all followups. The books build on each other, creating a universe of world-building in a small section of the world, introducing people, places, and a sensibility that carries through to the rest of the books.

So while The Cartographer is a fantastic book, with a
Lynette
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There are very few series that I have read from beginning to end. The "hmmm, I'll read this" moment of the first book in the series is usually as far as I get. However, the Compass Series had me like a greedy whore of the words and stories of Tamsen Parker. Every single person that I wanted to know more about, Parker had their story coming next. There was always Rey Walter in the mix of each. And why wouldn't the last book of the series be all about this man that helped to bring so many people t ...more
Jennifer Lessard
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book and voluntarily wrote an honest review.
I am stuck between giving this a rating of 3 stars or 4 stars, but once I got much deeper into the story, I was able to understand why. I am not sure if that was the authors intention when writing this but that is how I interpreted it, and I have to say is the reason I decided on the 4 star rating. I very much enjoyed the storyline and the writing was fine. There were just times that I was not able to feel a connection wi
Tamara Evans
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In “the cartographer,” readers meet Reyes Walter who serves as matchmaker in previous Tamsen Parker books. The novel opens with Reyes going to a bar after a long night of working with a client. As Reyes orders a drink, he is aroused by the attractive bartender behind the bar then horrified by his terrible drink making skills. After Reyes sees that the bartender named Allie needs help to stave off a thirsty waiting crowd, he jumps behind the counter and helps him makes drinks.

Over time, Reyes an
E Hempel
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
At last, the story of Rey: the benevolent, the mystery, the man...

This was a fitting conclusion to the Compass series focused on the cornerstone of this community Parker has created. Watching him mold a man for his side, who ultimately molded him into a new kind of dominate was moving and true to form.

The scenes in this book are blazing hot with a few sweetly familiar moves and, at times, a fun playful mocking style. Parker does a remarkable job building the lust and tension, such that I could
bookaholic ge
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I voluntarily read an advanced review copy of this book

I absolutely loved this book! I must admit that I did not know what to expect because Rey is such an important part of the series but I quickly realized that I had nothing to worry about. I loved Allie and Rey together. Allie was a great counterpart for Rey because he was so strong but somehow vulnerable all at the same time.

Overall this book was great. I loved a lot of moments in this book but my favorite has to be when Rey realizes that s
Tammy
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great ending to this fabulous series. I have loved Rey from the beginning, he was so enigmatic until this read when we finally get to learn more about him. The story is fast paced with lots of drama and emotion. The chemistry between Rey and Allie is steamy. I was so happy to see his friends supporting him and pushing him to let go of some of that control and go after the life he wanted. Lots of drama and plenty of steam. I loved it!
Louis A
Oct 24, 2017 rated it did not like it
1.5 stars round up
while I appreciate the idea behind the book, I found Reyes was too self-indulgent and arrogant to be close to likeable. Allie was okay but not nearly enough to make up for his partner.
Definitely not for me.
Teresa Roberts
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A worthy finale to a moving and HAWT series. (Note:I read a non-finalized advance copy of this book. The final version should be even better.)
Eleanor (The Book Hammock)
Apr 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Perfection.

You cannot possibly realize how long I’ve been waiting for this book. Unconsciously, since the time I read Personal Geography. At that time, I didn’t even know there was going to be a Rey story. Consciously, since December 2015. That’s when I met Tamsen Parker and we had a great few hours of dining, talking and walking around NYC.

I’m going to reread all six books in the Compass series, but not before I write my review of The Cartographer (cleverly titled book, might I add).

I’m still
Tully Vincent
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this! I totally adored Rey. Well-written D/s story with age difference couple and one of them new to kink.

I want to read a story about Julian so badly. Please!!!
Cori R.
May 07, 2017 rated it liked it
It just didn't resonate with me the way her books usually do. Maybe I was too stuck on my perception of Rey, but I didn't really understand why he was so in love with Allie or how it all really truly made sense for them.
Tamsen Parker is a stay-at-home mom by day, erotic romance writer by naptime. She lives with her family outside of Boston, where she tweets too much, sleeps too little and is always in the middle of a book. Aside from good food, sweet rieslings and gin cocktails, she has a fondness for monograms and subway maps. She should really start drinking coffee.

You can sign up for her newsletter here to fin

The Compass (6 books)
  • Personal Geography (The Compass, #1)
  • Intimate Geography (The Compass, #2)
  • Uncharted Territory (The Compass, #3)
  • True North (The Compass #4)
  • Due South (The Compass #5)
“Now he’s laughing, and the sound makes more stars fly around my skull, lighting up the night of my mind. “Alive. I feel alive.” There’s” 1 likes
“I control the very composition of his sweat, and it makes me want to lick him.” 1 likes