Start by marking “Path of a Novice (The Silvan #1)” as Want to Read:
Path of a Novice (The Silvan #1)

Read Book* *Different edition

Path of a Novice

(The Silvan #1)

Librarian Note: Alternate Cover Edition for ASIN: B06XW9XJD5.

Fascinating and gripping first novel in The Silvan Series, by best-selling author R.K. Lander. Path of a Novice is an epic fantasy story of battle and magic, honour and discovery. The Silvan Series will bring together the greatest warriors of their time. In the name of justice; in the name of love.

His face would
Published April 21st 2017

To ask other readers questions about Path of a Novice, please sign up.
James Hi Kathleen, The simple answer is none involving the major character. But... this is obvs part of a series and by book three 'Dawn of a Legend', yes t…moreHi Kathleen, The simple answer is none involving the major character. But... this is obvs part of a series and by book three 'Dawn of a Legend', yes there is and it's a beautifully developed plot line and relationship.
There are hints in all three books of romantic events that have shaped some of the major players pasts, but nothing truly romantic until book three. However, this series opens up and out becoming so much more than I had anticipated. In reality I'd say its a very complicated (in a good way) plot and that romance is a tiny part of the whole.(less)
Gardens of the Moon by Steven EriksonA Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinThe Black Company by Glen CookThe Blade Itself by Joe AbercrombieDeadhouse Gates by Steven Erikson
Military Fantasy
310 books — 582 voters
The Alchemists of Loom by Elise KovaStrange the Dreamer by Laini TaylorCarve the Mark by Veronica RothCaraval by Stephanie GarberA Scarlet Woman by Lorna Peel
New Series (2017)
123 books — 295 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Path of a Novice (The Silvan #1)
Delores
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I absolutely loved this book. This is definitely one of the most delightful fantasies I have ever read. I could not pronounce or spell any of the names if my life depended on it. . . but it made it more fascinating. I loved the characters. I loved the plot. I loved the writing style. I loved everything about "Path of a Novice". I sincerely believe this should be a best seller and that R. K. Lander is truly gifted. This is a MUST-READ for ALL fantasy lovers and especially for those who love J.R.R ...more
Satbeer
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a start to a new series. As the name suggests, its a journey of a young Elf in a war ravaged world, want to becoming a leader of his people. It's a good book that doesn't just glorify him, and, also shows his insecurities, challenges and his inner fight.

Must read for any fans of fantasy fiction!
Kevin Potter
As usual, I'll start with the narrator.

His voice is smooth and pleasant, and has good inflections and tempo. Unfortunately, his voices leave a lot to be desired. His default "elf" voice was natural and sounded good, but there the good ends. His "deep" character voice sounded really contrived, almost like Raze from the Underworld movies. And his female voices literally made me burst out laughing. I don't mean to be rude, but it was awful.

Now for the story.
The writing itself is skillful and free o
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It took me a little while to get into it, it was more getting used to the style and the names. The names I didn’t really get used to them, but that was more to do with me being dyslexic than anything else. Once I did get into the book, I was hooked and thoroughly enjoyed myself reading the story.

I enjoyed the gradual expansion of the world being built, of the story unfolding with every single page. It was one of the stories where you read through the pages eager for the next gem that added more
Piotr Jantos
It could've been a really good reading. Could've been... if the author had not loved her main character too much. This book may serve as a good example of what happens when a writer is so emotionally attached to their creation that WRITES about how loved they are instead of MAKING them loveable. The former makes the said creation simply irritating, the latter makes them worth reading about.

Other than the extremly annoying main character the plot is a cliche. We have a troubled kingdom with a BIG
leggyrespect
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Path of a Novice, book 1 of The Silvan Trilogy is a stunning masterpiece of fantasy adventure writing.

The author, R.K. Lander, effortlessly transports the reader into the fascinating, colourful & evocative universe of Bel’arán, where elves & mortals dwell together in discordant, dissident harmony.

The reader is adroitly pulled in, eagerly following the exciting & thrilling exploits of Fel’annar, the precocious elvish warrior-to-be whose path tosses him headlong into a huge, boiling cauldron of i
Ivana Jacobsen
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was 11 when I read The Hobbit, and 27 years later I am truly and completely hooked on fantasy. I do not descriminate, but, I've always had a week spot for elves. When I stumbled on The Silvan I could see the story is not finished, and I do have the rule- don't start reading if it's not finished. Well I couldn't stay away. And now that I read the first book I'm sorry I broke it. And then again, I really am glad I did. From the first page you become a part of the beautiful, magical world. It has ...more
Ellen Roddy
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Gift

The book begins with a mystery. A young boy without a father wants to be a warrior and trains himself constantly. He has three friends and they call themselves “The Company.”

As they head off for training to protect the Silva’s and their Forrest, they are soon separated as one leaps ahead of the others and is taken on petrol. He meets the Sand Lords and the Deviants who seek to destroy the Sivan’s and the Forrest. He fights them in such an amazing way, his tutors are astounded and they b
Rebecca

There is a great deal of potential in this story. However, it is held back by a narrative style that pushes me away from the story and the characters. The distance keeps me from caring as much as I should and the narratorial intrusion is annoying to say the least. The writing is additionally plagued by a number of awkward spots that frequently leaves it feeling stilted at the most inconvenient times. Finally, it ends on a hook, whichis always disappointing. The MC had a solid character
Peggy
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book - RK pulled me into her world, and I lost myself in it. The world building is fantastic and I loved the characters. I am eagerly awaiting the next book!
Jackie
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful fantasy story with lots of hard to pronounce names. This makes it so delightful and intriguing. Received a free story.
Carol A. Ward
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story, must read for all elf fans out there!

This story grabbed me from the beginning and I couldn't stop reading, now I can hardly wait for volume 2 to come out.
Kate
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
"She called him Fel'annar, Green Sun, immortal child with the heart of a Silvan and the face of an Alpine"

From the beginning, we know this is a story about a legend ... and this legend is Fel'annar, Green Sun. The author introduces us to a lush world of forests and elves in which two different cultures exist; those that are suppressed, the Silvan - and those that are the suppressors, the Alpines. And the heart of it all: a half-breed, an abandoned son without a father - one who aspires to be a S
Frank Frisson
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Path of a Novice, the first book in The Silvan Trilogy by R.K. Lander, made me think back to those days when I dreamed about being a warrior in a magical world whose name is chanted everywhere I would go. One would have to train to wield a sword, an axe, or shoot arrows while in battle. One would have to be fearless, risk one’s life to save others. Or, one could just read this book and see the path a half-Silvan, half-Alpine elf with silvery blond hair and moss green eyes named Fel’annár has to ...more
Kelly Faltin
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delightful and Captivating

This was a great read for me. The story was enchanting with likeable characters. It is not so dark as the other fantasy I've read recently, which is refreshing. Only reason I didn't give 5 stars was due to some grammatical errors. Regardless, I would recommend this to anyone who is a fan of elves and fantasy.
Cheryl Smith
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly recommend! A superb, well written plot. R.K Lander has been added to my favorite author list.
Anne M Witmer
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spellbinding!😀

Very different concept for a fantasy book. I highly recommend it to those who like fantasy. I can't wait to read the next book.
Persnickety
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful story.

Kindle Unlimited. Yay!

I'm so glad I decided to check out this series. There's a certain genre of storylines that I've really come to love (when they are well told) but I'm not sure it's been "named". It's really a treat to find one and this certainly qualifies. Honor. Loyalty. Heart. Time spent in/with/around beautiful, restorative, natural places.

This reminds me of the things I enjoyed in reading Red Rowan and Battle Mage. As these are completed series, it's so nice to find anot
Adam Pair
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good read

I enjoyed this book very much. It has good well- written characters, good story, and a good overall feel to it. It's hard to say exactly what makes a story click, but you know it when you see it, or read it. Good book!
Maureen Hoar
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Right up my alley

This is my favorite type of book. A young warrior to be finds inner strength to overcome his status in life and becomes more. This is his journey. He has a company of friends to guide him on his way. I can only imagine how hard this journey will be.
Jay Collins
2.5 to maybe 3 stars, not sure what all the hype was about for this one. I found it just okay (maybe) and not sure I wish to read the next book in this series. It did start out pretty good but faded and never really recovered.
Mark Leon
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very good tale given the strong characterisation throughout. Everyone seems real but although most are elves, I didn't see a great distinction between these and mankind. Nevertheless readers need to be able to relate to persons in a story and Lander does this well. Every page is a pleasure to read and the story is admirably resolved just gagging for Book II to be read. And I have ordered book II. Very much look forward to reading all of this series. The plot thickens and the politics and machi ...more
Chanel
Jul 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good world building. But not a lot of action.
Diane Shearer
Elves like you’ve never known before

I haven’t enjoyed elves this much since I met Drizzt back in the day. I couldn’t give it five stars, even though I loved it, because it’s a story about warriors that lacks good battle scenes. But it’s exciting, with great characters and decent world building. It’s just too obviously written by a woman. These are the most emotional elves I’ve ever encountered. They spend a little too much time braiding each other’s hair. The magic system is largely undefined so
Phillip Ruble
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book

I was immediately a part of the story, struggling along with them all. I was so engrossed in this book that I hadn't realized that I had come to the end. I wish I had read slower, but at least an happy that there is a second book in the series!
Paige
Sep 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars

Don’t let the 3 star review fool you, I loved this book! The storyline is awesome and it’s action packed. Great first release from a new author! I rarely read YA books anymore but I highly enjoyed reading about The Silvan and cannot wait to read the book. Once I picked this book up I didn’t want to put it down. I kept wanting to know what was going to happen next, because throughout the whole book something was Happening on each page. She did this while simultaneously world & character
Readstoomuch
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A must-read to everyone who loves fantasy.

Don't freak out over the strange names because it's an amazing story made by an amazing author, has great character development and good battle scenes.
Once you start you won't be able to put it down!

It's a well planned beginning of a promising trilogy, the next LOTR!

It starts in a light mood, but you can feel the darkness threatening, and well written political problems builds up the tension.

Even though it's a story about elves in another world, the ra
Caprice
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Exceeded my expectations

This book was well written with well developed characters. It is different from other YA Fantasy I've read in that while the main characters are elves, there are two races of elves, and it, in a way, mirrors the racism that is still taking place in the US. The characters are overcoming their preconceived notions of the two elven races, however. It's also different in that the elves have different gifts. I am anxious to read the second book in the series.
Carole
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great fantasy with overtones of Tolkien written with a very confident hand. As the first in a series there is a lot of scene setting but it is done so well that I didn't feel I needed to 'hurry up' the story and in fact enjoyed the character development along the way. Will most certainly be snapping up the next one when it is released!
Ruthie Romero
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome adventure

I was pleasantly surprised. This book took me back a lot of years to another favorite character, the dark elf by Salvatore. They were both phenomenal warriors. I loved that the author portrayed The Silvan, one of his many names, as someone who was compassionate and a loyal friend. I look forward to reading more!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Legend of the Kestrel (The Sylvan Chronicles, #1)
  • The Call of the Sylvana (The Sylvan Chronicles, #2)
  • Ahren: The 13th Paladin (Volume I)
  • The Raptor of the Highlands (The Sylvan Chronicles, #3)
  • The Makings of a Warrior (The Sylvan Chronicles, #4)
  • The Naming: The 13th Paladin (Volume II)
  • The Lord of the Highlands (The Sylvan Chronicles Book 5)
  • Mystery in the Tundra (Path of the Ranger, #3)
  • The Traitor's Son (Path of the Ranger, #1)
  • Awakening (Histories of Drakmoor Book 1)
  • The Sleeping Mother : The 13th Paladin (Volume IV)
  • Path of the Specialist: (Path of the Ranger Book 6)
  • The Knights of Erador (The Echoes Saga, #7)
  • The King's Secret (Path of the Ranger, #2)
  • Kingdom of Bones (The Echoes Saga, #5)
  • Archmagister
  • The King's Sorcerer (Jon Oklar, #1)
  • Treason in the North (Path of the Ranger, #4)
I am one of the biggest elf geeks I have ever met. First inspired by the world of Tolkien, I began writing short stories, until the idea of the Silvan popped into my head. That was no short story but a sprawling 900 pages of epic fantasy.

The Silvan is my first publshed work, an epic fantasy series revolving around the figure of a Silvan elf, Fel'annar. There are currently three published books and

The Silvan (4 books)
  • Road of a Warrior (The Silvan, #2)
  • Dawn of a Legend: The Silvan Book III
  • Return of a Warlord (The Silvan #4)

News & Interviews