Start by marking “Waking Gods (Themis Files, #2)” as Want to Read:
Waking Gods (Themis Files, #2)

Waking Gods (Themis Files #2)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  17,655 Ratings  ·  2,536 Reviews
As a child, Rose Franklin made an astonishing discovery: a giant metallic hand, buried deep within the earth. As an adult, she’s dedicated her brilliant scientific career to solving the mystery that began that fateful day: Why was a titanic robot of unknown origin buried in pieces around the world? Years of investigation have produced intriguing answers—and even more perpl ...more
Published April 6th 2017 by Penguin Books Ltd (first published April 4th 2017)

Emily May
Apr 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, arc, 2017, favourites
Wow, where should I start?

I absolutely LOVED this book. After I read Sleeping Giants on a whim last year, I ended up being sucked into its incredible premise: giant body parts are discovered in the earth that predate the human technology required to make them. A simple idea with huge implications. What does this mean for humanity? For science? Religion?

Maybe it's just me, but I get shivers at the question: if there is something on our planet that didn't occur naturally, that we didn't make, tha
Catriona (LittleBookOwl)
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook, owned
Rating: 4.5 stars

This was a great sequel, and I really liked how the action is taken up a notch.

I also fell a little more in love with some of the characters in this one... interestingly I started to really connect with some that I disliked in book 1!
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Wow! That was pretty cray! I felt like I slipped through the worm hole! Maybe I should have re-read the first one again, but it's all good. Well, not really because of a death!

I love Rose, Kara, Vincent, and Eva. Oh and Themis =]. I feel like I am forgetting someone. Oh well.

Time travel? Cloning? Robot Aliens? The hell did I just read? There's a lot more and some things that went over my head but when you start talking science stuff, I drool a little bit.

With that being said, I think this sec
Petrik
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Petrik by: Bil
Shelves: owned-ebooks
ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I’ll be honest, I didn’t expect Waking Gods to be this good but the second book in the Themis Files series by Sylvain Neuvel is truly a stunning improvement over its predecessor.

The plot began 9 years after the end of Sleeping Giants and the tension is so much more evident here. As it turns out, everything that happened in Sleeping Giants is just a setup for this book and probably the last book of the planned trilogy. In the first book,
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
I liked the book but I made the mistake of listening to the audiobook and it kinda ruined it for me.

Eva had the most annoying voice ever and every time she would whine I would want to throw my phone at the wall.
Also, Vincent accent was completely off. French and French Canadian accents are completely different.

https://youtu.be/QHsNHlxZJf4 - extract of the audiobook so you can see for yourself in my June wrap up! :)
Bradley
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, 2016-shelf
Re-read 2/17/18:

Thrilled as hell to get the ARC of book three, I decided to go on a tear through the first two again.

But Why?

Because they're just that good. Great characters, fantastic dialogue, and action, action, action. What kind of action? GIANT ROBOT ACTION.

I hated to see who died and loved to see who took over. I'll leave it at that. I would like to call this pure popcorn fiction, but it's a bit better crafted than that. Deceptively simple, even, sprinkled with very sharp quotes and humor
Pouting Always
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I have this awful habit of reading books that are part of series out of order because I end up getting on of the books out of order and then I'm too lazy to try and read them chronologically, so I haven't read the first book in the series. That said I really really want to now. Even knowing what will happen I want to read the first one and any subsequent ones that's how much I enjoyed this one. The format was different and the story wasn't told directly but through logs and reports which usually ...more
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
This SF sequel to last year's Goodreads Choice nominee Sleeping Giants, is on sale as of April 4, 2017. Final review, first posted on Fantasy Literature (along with two other excellent reviews from my co-reviewers at FanLit, who gave it 4.5 and 4 stars). Jason and I also have an interview with Sylvain Neuvel on FanLit, so check it out!

It’s nine years after the end of the events in Sleeping Giants. Our anonymous and dry-witted handler is still pulling strings and manipulating events and people be
Philip
Apr 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5ish stars

Waking Gods has everything good about its prequel, Sleeping Giants, but kicks it into an entirely other level. I thought SG was decent enough, with some interesting ideas, but I enjoyed this so much more. To anyone thinking about picking this up: listen to the audio version. It's a great production with a full cast of voice actors and it elevates the story so much.

In SG I thought Neuvel's authorial voice was a bit uneven and a little inexperienced, but it seems much more confident a
Trina (Between Chapters)
I am absolutely devastated that this is over and we don't even how long we have to wait for the third book yet.

Gripping. Intense. Also heartbreaking because some of my favorite characters were killed off, but I don't care, GIVE ME MORE. Another mind boggling ending that I can't wait to get the explanation for!

Honestly this is a new favorite series of mine because of the audiobook listening experience. The story is told through audio files so the audiobook format is perfect.
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Fucking hell. This series is PHENOMENAL.
Elise (TheBookishActress)
—And therein lies the fundamental difference between us. You would not sacrifice your principles for a greater good. I would not stop to think about it. I am... . . . pragmatic, and you, Dr. Franklin, are an idealist.
—Is that such a bad thing?
—Not at all. What would people like me do without ideals to defend?

Actual Rating: 2 1/2 stars . I'm not sure if I'm being harsh or merciful with this rating; I suppose I'll let you all judge after my review.

Science fiction is always so convoluted. Hav
Bil
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Giant robot ("mecha") fans, Robot science fiction readers
Well, that escalated quickly! This is undoubtedly one of my favorite reads this year. Waking Gods took me to an exhilarating, nonstop ride. More fast-paced than its predecessor and even darker too.

The second installment in the Themis Files is a great mix of robot science fiction and apocalyptic thriller. What really amazed me in this novel is the depth of the characters. It would take a handful of descriptions or flashbacks or other literary devices in order to build character but this series sh
Ahmed  Ejaz
Apr 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, full-lengths
Waking Gods is the second amazing book in Themis Files series. Thrill was unlimited. I loved it more than the last one.

Spoilers are concealed. Feel safe to read.

OVERVIEW
Aliens have arrived on Earth and they have started killing the people. Millions have died.(view spoiler)
❄️Nani❄️
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-fantasy
4.25⭐

So much happened I don’t even know where to begin. I still can’t fathom what just happened.

But suffice it to say, WHAT DID YOU DO, NEUVEL!?!? WHAT. DID. YOU. DO!? WHY THAT??

This book gave me a headache. An actual headache.
Matthew
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 to 4 stars

Interesting - that is how I have felt about this series so far. I do like it, but, there is just something about it that is . . . interesting.

The format is a bit unusual and might take a bit to get used to. After 2 books I am still not quite sure if I am used to it. It is kind of a dossier format similar to the Illuminae Files, but Illuminae Files handles it a bit more comfortably for me.

The story is very unique and fascinating. The author gets bonus points for creativity. The fact
Morgannah
May 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Re-Read in anticipation of Only Human.

I enjoyed this book even more the second time around! My first reading was via a digital ARC and I felt like I was missing out not having a physical copy. I am partial to physical books especially when they are epistolary in nature. This time I read a physical copy and soon found myself lost once again in The Themis Files.

Original Review:
This one not only makes it to my "favorites" shelf but it also will be immediately placed on my "desert island" shelf.
T
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
*3.5 stars*
I don't know why, but this series has been kinda underwhelming for me and i'm v sad about it. I'm also salty that my fave character died
Connor
[3.5 Stars]
I actually thought the first one was a tad better. I think the info-dumping got to me a little more, and I wasn’t as enthralled. It’s still a really fun story that’s quick to get through, but I found myself not caring as much. I listened to this as an audiobook which was interesting. I liked some of the narrators, but not all of them. I would get annoyed anytime the characters that I didn’t like voice-wise would pop up. I think reading the first book with my own eyes worked out bette
Carlos
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i had the amazing chance to read an ARC of this book thanks to the folks at Netgalley. ALl i have to say and that i can say is that if you loved the first book in this series you will love this one. the story is oriented in the same way but there is so many more things are explained, mysteries are unlocked and we are left completely satisfied by the progression of the main plot. You will see old and new characters and we get more of what we liked on the first book. All i can say is that the wait ...more
Imane
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, sci-fi
“Luck is believing you’re lucky.”
― Sylvain Neuvel, Waking Gods

WOW this was a great sequel that ends on an epic cliffhanger. CAN'T WAIT FOR THE NEXT BOOK !!
Lily (Night Owl Book Cafe)
I listened to Sleeping Giants last year and absolutely fell in love with not only the audiobook but also the story.

Waking Gods picks back up a few years after the events at the end of Sleeping Giants. Now it seems that Themis isn’t the only robot out there as another Giant robot appears on Earth, than another, than another. Soon Kara, Dr Rose, Vincent and their mysterious friend are out there again trying to figure out why the robots are showing up and are they a danger to Earth.

This was a thril
Mel (Epic Reading)
So I was beyond stoked to get an eARC of Waking Gods and prioritized it to be ready within a week or two of approval. And I certainly wasn't wrong to be so hyped as this book was AWESOME!

The first 30 pages is slightly dull as it's ten years since the end of Sleeping Giants and so we spend some time catching up with everyone (after the opening chapter gives us the 'hook' to stay interested). I'm not a very good binge reader as I can't sit still for 3+ hours at a time; but given the opportunity I
Sarah (Starry Night Reader)
The thing I love about this series is that it always keeps me guessing. Seriously, I never know what is going to happen next and whenever I think I've figured something out I turn out to be so wrong!

This book is a bit different than its predecessor, and I enjoyed it more. If there is such thing as "first book syndrome" (and I guess there is considering it was a debut), then Sleeping Giants was just that- focusing more on introducing the reader to the discoveries, the characters, the formatting.
Montzalee Wittmann
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Freaking awesome! Waking Gods (Themis Files #2) by Sylvain Neuvel is the second book in the series and I didn't think it possible for the author to make a better book than book one but he did! What an epic story!!! I loved the first book and this doesn't let the fans down. The giant robot is back but now there are more but they don't friendly. There is so much action, twists, surprises, and suspense I had to stay up at night to finish the book. I couldn't sleep not knowing what was happening! Th ...more
Crini
That was EPIC.
A great plot twist, more kickass action than the first book, (sadly) somewhat less fucked up and of course another cliffhanger BUT I DON'T EVEN MIND, BECAUSE IT'S SOMETHING I WAS HOPING FOR AND NOW I'M EXCITED.
Kayla Dawn
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: in-besitz
I need the third one right now!! 😫

I loved it, but there were a few parts where the story dragged quite a bit ~ I'm super curious about what's to happen in the next one 🙌🏻
Lindsay
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An engaging sequel that picks up nine years after the events of Sleeping Giants with the sudden appearance of a giant robot similar to Themis from the first book.

The crew of Themis and the EDC are back along with our mysterious anonymous interviewer to test the whole reason that the EDC was created. Vincent and Kara have fallen into a comfortable relationship, but Rose is deeply troubled by the revelation at the end of the first book. Meanwhile, the interviewer has been doing other things, but w
Tan Markovic
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
5 maaahooosive stars. It's safe to say I am obsessed with this series, I can't wait for the next instalment and I want to be as badass as Kara.
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2017/04/14/...

While Sleeping Giants was not without its flaws, it did succeed in leaving me curious about where the story will go next. So when the opportunity to read the sequel presented itself, it didn’t take much convincing for me to jump on board.

Ten years have passed since the events of the first book. The world has accepted the presence of Themis, the giant robot first found buried in pieces all over the world, later assembled
SPOILERS UP TO: Fisherman and the seagull 1 24 Feb 14, 2018 04:43PM
  • Down Among the Sticks and Bones (Wayward Children, #2)
  • Zhek
  • The Collapsing Empire (The Interdependency #1)
  • Iron Gold (Red Rising, #4)
  • Skullsworn (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne #0.5)
  • The Tiger's Daughter (Their Bright Ascendency, #1)
  • Our Dark Duet (Monsters of Verity, #2)
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • A Darkness Absolute (Casey Duncan, #2)
  • Feedback (Newsflesh, #4)
  • Odd & True
  • The Dark Days Pact (Lady Helen, #2)
  • Crosstalk
  • Seven Surrenders (Terra Ignota, #2)
  • Vengeful (Villains, #2)
  • Six Wakes
  • Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil
  • The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air, #1)
Sylvain Neuvel dropped out of high school at age 15. Along the way, he has been a journalist, worked in soil decontamination, sold ice cream in California, and peddled furniture across Canada. He received a Ph.D. in linguistics from the University of Chicago. He taught linguistics in India, and worked as a software engineer in Montreal. He is also a certified translator, though he wishes he were a ...more
More about Sylvain Neuvel

Themis Files (3 books)
  • Sleeping Giants (Themis Files, #1)
  • Only Human (Themis Files, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
  • Dread Nation
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Six Wakes
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“The known is finite, the unknown infinite; intellectually we stand on an islet in the midst of an illimitable ocean of inexplicability.” 19 likes
“You will not die of pain, but you will never get used to it. Pain is unique in that it does not show habituation or neural adaptation, like smell, or touch.” 11 likes