Start by marking “O segredo dos corpos” as Want to Read:
O segredo dos corpos

O segredo dos corpos

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  1,525 Ratings  ·  279 Reviews
O SEGREDO DOS CORPOS disseca casos surpreendentes que ajudaram a construir a reputação do legista Dr. Vincent Di Maio. Como a exumação de Lee Harvey Oswald, suposto assassino do presidente Kennedy. Ou a investigação pela morte do adolescente Trayvon Martin, em 2012, na Flórida, crime que acabaria impulsionando o movimento Black Lives Matter, de denúncia contra o racismo na ...more
Published April 26th 2017 by DarkSide Books (first published May 17th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about O segredo dos corpos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about O segredo dos corpos

Petra X
This is a 10 star read. The author, one of the Grand Old Men of pathologists, medical examiners, in the US, deconstructs some famous (and not so well-known) cases without the front-page headlines designed to influence us emotionally into wanting a court to find guilt in a suspect just because they ought to be guilty!

The first case is Trayvon Martin. (view spoiler)
Diane S ☔
Apr 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love puzzles, it is the reason I read mysteries. Trying to put the clues together, see what fits, what doesn't, try to figure out the killer. Of course that is armchair detecting, the mysteries are often not real, plus I am notoriously bad at it.. The cases in this book are very real. DiMaio has worked on some of the biggest cases there are.

The Trayvon case is the first presented and of course it was all over the news. Lee Hare ey Oswald and the conspiracy theorists who insisted that Oswald wa
Emma
Mar 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Despite DiMaio's claims that being a forensic pathologist is nothing like we see on tv, this book is filled with some of the most sensational cases of his career, and read somewhat like a tv/movie script at times. The writing fits very much into the true crime genre, lurid and bloodily detailed. While the processes he reveals to us are undoubtedly also those applied to the everyday corpse, what the audience gets here are the ones that stand out. Child murders abound.

None of the above was critic
April Henry
This book is kind of a mishmash of cases, some famous, some not well known. I much preferred the book Working Stiff.

What really bothered me was the author's clear racial biases in writing about the Trayvon Martin case. "Martin's parents endorsed a petition on Change.org called for Zimmerman's arrest and it got 1.3 million "signatures"; Reverend Al Sharpton and the rest of the racial-grievance industrial complex showed up to stir the pot...." " President Barack Obama elevated the case to a presi
Melissa
Within the first chapter I started disliking the author. His views as seen in different chapters are a bit outdated and his judgemental attitude to certain people just made it worse. The cases themselves were interesting but he gives you the very basics of the case and leaves out a lot of information. I really wanted to like this book but it was not for me.
Judy Collins
A special thank you to St. Martin's Press and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

The renowned forensic pathologist, Dr. Vincent Di Maio and veteran crime writer, Ron Franscell take readers behind the morgue doors to offer eye-opening and compelling stories through a series of cases.

Medical examiners have an important job - to determine how and why a person died. In legal terms, the cause and manner of death. The cause is the disease or injury that killed the deceased—a hea
♥ Sandi ❣
Ten real life case studies from the personal files of one of the most infamous forensic pathologists. Called to revisit many cases, both old and new, Dr Vincent Di Maio, medical examiner, became an expert on gun shot wounds and has preformed over nine thousand autopsies. Told in 10 vignettes from Trayvon Martin to Lee Harvey Oswald to Vincent van Gogh, Dr Di Maio has played a part in detailing his findings, when at times his findings contradicted what law enforcement claimed and was unpopular wi ...more
Rachel
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this ARC in exchange for a truthful review of the book.
I have a natural interest in all things forensic, and found the subject matter to be compelling before I received the book.
The instant I began reading it (yesterday), I was loathe to put it down. I finished it in under 24 hours, and also managed to sleep and work part of that time ;).
It was utterly gripping! In addition to being a fascinating look into a world I can only imagine (and, in fact began imagining in childhood with Quin
Raquel Moritz
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Aprendi um montão de coisas com o livro e acho que ele nos apresenta a alguns desafios e responsabilidades de um médico legista. Para quem não sabia nada de nada (como eu), a quantidade de informações é bem grande e a leitura se torna muito proveitosa. Gostei principalmente dos capítulos da Genene Jones e do Van Gogh.
Jan
Mar 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This pick was a bit outside my norm, as I don't venture too much into non-fiction areas for entertainment. But this is what I love about the Goodreads forum-through my friends I get to see who's reading what and expand my horizons into new territories!

I'm a huge fan of the show Forensic Files, I think I have watched every one that has ever been made. It's this love of the how and why of forensics that made me reach out to grab this book from NetGalley.

Vincent DiMaio is a renowned Forensics Path
Eve Recinella (Between The Bookends)
This book was fascinating.

Hats off to anyone that can do this work and not go crazy. I enjoyed this book immensely. Each chapter is a different case Dr. Vincent Di Maio has worked on or helped out with. Most (if not all) are high profile ones. Trayvon Martin, Lee Harvey Oswald , West Memphis Three, Phil Spector, and even Vincent Van Go. There are a few that involve babies and kids, so be warned if you plan on reading this one.

My only complaint, and it's a small one. I would have liked a bit mor
abby
Apr 02, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Morgue is a collection of true crime stories told by experienced medical examiner Vincent DiMaio. Every story involves real lives and a real death, but often seem as if ripped from a mystery novel. The truth really is stranger than fiction. Did you know that coroners are elected to their position and don't necessarily have medical training? That bullets don't propel a human body backwards-- that's just the stuff of movies?

The author seems to have a strange preoccupation with race and a thinly ve
Kathleen (QueenKatieMae)
I picked up copy of Morgue: A Life in Death by Dr. Vincent DiMaio on the recommendation of a friend who has a few of his books in her collection of creepy murder mysteries and true-crime novels. Written in collaboration with novelist and true-crime writer Ron Franscell, Morgue details the history of modern-day pathology and forensics. Covering topics from the forensic crime shows that solve the mystery within an hour to the little-known politics of forensics to some of DiMaio’s most famous cases ...more
Amelia
Apr 28, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
By the end of the first chapter, the author, a white male forensic pathologist, dismisses the entire Black Lives Matter movement. As if the systemic profiling of black people by the police is just a figment of our imaginations. It's infuriating. And with George Zimmerman trying to auction off the gun he used to shoot Trayvon Martin, the last thing I want to hear is that forensic findings cancel out racial bias.
Emily Duchon
I don't know why I read these books--I always think I'll find them informative, but they usually just have the same case stories and just make me really paranoid. You'll like it if you're into this stuff and read every book on the subject that comes out. I found it pedantic and it made me wonder why medical examiners seemingly have such large egos?

Regardless, a few of the case stories were interesting and I did read it through in one evening.

Sara
This book is written by a forensic pathologist who has worked on some high profile cases in his career. I'm not sure I would have started by saying I was the one who got Zimmerman off in the Trayvon Martin case, though. He explains that he says it like he sees it and people often don't like it, especially if people feel a murder is racially motivated. This, then, is my introduction to Vincent Di Maio. His expert opinion on some of these high profile cases will go against the grain - many times.

T
Heather
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Being an Medical Examiner sounds like a cool job. Digging around in dead folks always sounded interesting to me. But I bet there's a lot of paperwork. Morgue: A Life in Death is about DiMaio's fascinating career as an ME (don't worry, he doesn't talk about the paperwork).
DiMaio's career was sounds like it's from one of those crime fiction novel serials that, some how, always find our lead in some high-profile case. And by book 20 in the series you can't help but think "Come on, no one's career
Ashley Brooks
Apr 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Fascinating look into the world of forensic pathology and the role it plays (or doesn't play) in our justice system. I found it particularly interesting that we have only about 500 forensic pathologists working in the US. Even more so that the incredibly outdated "coroner" system (an elected position in which you require zero medical background or training) is still running rampant.

This book delves into some high profile and highly disturbing cases, and I feel like I should mention there are a f
Michael
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very gritty and unforgettable book about examining death. The cases such as Travon Martin,and Lee Harvey Oswald was captivating. The authors tone is this book was very haunting and chilling. From the reader's perspective,you can tell that they tried to remain as unbiased as possible. It was a very hard book to get through.

Honestly,I could not have the career that these people did. Too many personal opinions will clash with my profession. Unfathomable,and unparalleled,this book would t
Bruce Gargoyle
I received a digital copy of this title from the publisher via Netgalley.

Ten Second Synopsis:
An in-depth look at forensic medicine in the context of the justice system. The author details his involvement in some high profile cases in which forensic evidence could be disputed.

There are a number of highly absorbing cases discussed in Morgue, both high profile, such as the death of Trayvon Martin, and otherwise. The interesting thing about this book in particular is that it addresses issues of fore
Jesse
Feb 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written, fascinating. And also it bugs me when someone says they do not have political views or an agenda when they so clearly do.
Julie
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Di Maio offers a unique glimpse into a dying profession: forensic pathologist. He discusses his career and some of the high-profile cases he has worked on. From testifying in the Trayvon Martin/George Zimmerman trial, to exhuming Lee Harvey Oswald, he’s been involved in some of the most controversial forensic mysteries of our time. Since he is a specialist in gunshot wounds, he is called upon to consult in many unusual cases, including the murder trial of Phil Spector and even the historical ...more
Minna
There is no way in hell I can finish this book. The very first chapter is about Trayvon Martin and leaves a sour taste and icky feeling in my soul. We get very few details on the case but most of the chapter is shit-talking and blaming everyone from the victim himself to former president Obama for fanning the flames. And ingratiating of himself as an expert. God give me the confidence of a (mediocre) white man.

The next chapter begins with a family tree of doctors and I just can’t after the emot
Peggy
I'm writing this review only because of the distaste I experienced reading this arrogant egomaniac's biased and judgemental tone, at times resorting to conjecture, in relaying the unfortunate histories of some of the subjects in this book. Yes, these are murderers. They should obviously be held responsible for their heinous behavior and not be let loose in society. However, this man blames them for their childhood circumstances, judges them based on their parents' behaviors, and mocks personalit ...more
Michelle
Apr 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, true-crime
This is probably one of the best true crime books I've read to date. It's fascinating to look at crime through the eyes of a coroner, most especially because DiMaio is a doctor. I already knew that many coroners were not doctors, but I didn't think that was very common. Apparently I was wrong. That's unfortunate. DiMaio's training and perspective made this all the more interesting and credible. Perhaps I'm a snob, but I think trained physicians should be performing this kind of work. Period.

As f
Sue Smith
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
D. Vincent DiMaio definitely has led a very interesting life but he can't tell a story to save his life. As interesting as the cases were that he showcases for us, his narrative is as dry as toast. Thank goodness he includes some pictures!!! (Nothing too racy, but definitely informative to the cases he puts in his book).
Amanda Kramp
Apr 20, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Racist trash.
Neri.
May 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author talks about intricacies about the work of a coroner. Interesting stories about famous cases and cases that are just interesting. A good book for fans of crime stories.
Literary Chic
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book Club - June 2017

An interesting half memoir, half history book written by a forensic pathologist. Except the final chapter, each chapter is dedicated to a different forensic experience from di Maio's career. The last chapter is dedicated to his opinion regarding Van Gogh's death.

I probably wouldn't have read it had it not been a book club selection, but it was interesting none the less. I think some of the violence depicted in the West Memphis murders was overly gratuitous. It was unnecessar
Perri
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a Nationally recognized gunshot expert, DiMaio give a peek inside some of his most high profile cases including Trayvon Martin and Lee Harvey Oswald, and some lesser known but just as interesting cases. DiMaio shares some his family background and life experiences. He helps us understand the coroner's belief system in which autopsies must be based on fact without influence by personal thoughts or outside opinion. I was shocked by how many coroners have no medical background, but can also unde ...more
Obsessed with Tru...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Morgue: A Life in Death by Vincent DiMaio 1 3 Jul 29, 2016 10:35AM
  • The Geography of Madness: Penis Thieves, Voodoo Death, and the Search for the Meaning of the World's Strangest Syndromes
  • Purr Therapy: What Timmy and Marina Taught Me about Love, Life, and Loss
  • Chernobyl's Wild Kingdom: Life in the Dead Zone
  • The Midnight Assassin: Panic, Scandal, and the Hunt for America's First Serial Killer
  • Extreme: Why Some People Thrive at the Limits
  • If It Rains Pancakes: Haiku and Lantern Poems
  • Mortuary Confidential: Undertakers Spill the Dirt
  • The Bare Bones: An Unconventional Evolutionary History of the Skeleton
  • Andre the Giant: Closer to Heaven
  • Aftermath: Violence and the Remaking of a Self
  • We Are Not Such Things: The Murder of a Young American, a South African Township, and the Search for Truth and Reconciliation
  • The Forgiveness Project
  • The Defense (Eddie Flynn #1)
  • Dead Presidents: An American Adventure into the Strange Deaths and Surprising Afterlives of Our Nation's Leaders
  • While the City Slept: A Love Lost to Violence and a Young Man's Descent into Madness
  • The Nutshell Studies of Unexplained Death