Start by marking “Izzy + Tristan” as Want to Read:
Izzy + Tristan

Izzy + Tristan

Izzy, a practical-minded teen who intends to become a doctor, isn't happy about her recent move from the Lower East Side across the river to Brooklyn. She feels distanced from her family, especially her increasingly incomprehensible twin brother, as well as her new neighborhood.

And then she meets Tristan.

Tristan is a chess prodigy who lives with his aunt and looks up to
Published March 12th 2019 by Poppy Books

Emer (A Little Haze)
I'm a sucker for a doomed romance so when I heard that this book was a modern reinterpretation of the story of Tristan and Iseult I had to read it. I first became familiar with the story from the cheesy AF film Tristan and Isolde that I unashamedly adore and have seen far more times than I probably should admit to lol!

So I definitely enjoyed this book! Its not the greatest thing ever written but I was certainly invested in the storyline from the get go. It's 100% insta love, crazy for you, over
Chiara
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, recommended
Finished in one sitting. I want to go cry in a corner now.
Cora Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Family, friendship, rivalry, tragedy, fitting-in.

Hi, my feels are hurting. Make it stop.

I have to admit that it took a while for me to get in to this story. I was almost half way through and contemplating a DNF when BAM suddenly I couldn't put it down. I was invested.

This is a retelling of Tristan and Iseult, so I pretty much knew the basics already going in, and if you know the traditional tale then you'll know how it ends. That said, it is a pretty unique take on
ItsNasB
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
This had potential but it fell short for me. The love story did not pull me in, which is surprising since the very first line in the prologue did and set high expectations. The language used felt over the top and yet not enough to deliver a believable insta-love romance.

There's a plotline that involved consent- lack thereof, actually- that was not sufficiently addressed or resolved. The way race was handled- avoided for majority of the book and tacked on quickly at the end- left much
Michele
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
Thank you @littlebrownyoungreaders for this free review copy! Izzy and Tristan is the most sought after ARC of our book club.

Izzy’s family moves into a neighborhood nothing like their old one. Tristan is trying to keep his head above water while playing chess for bets for his cousin. Tempers flare and clash, leading to the meeting of these two fated lovers. Are there cliché scenes? Yes. Do they work for the story? Yes.

Two teens who fight to stay together despite it all
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
I have always adored the story of Tristan and Isolde and jumped for joy at the idea of a retelling.. but this, my loves, was not the retelling I was talking about. I had so, so, so many issues with this. I did not care for the story or the characters. I never connected to any part of it. It was nothing more than MEH.
Erin
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Izzy + Tristian is a romance following the lives of two kids living in Brooklyn that magically fall in love the first time they see each other. I loved this book because I could tell how genuine the characters were and was able to imagine how difficult their lives were becoming. With a heartbreaking ending, I wish it had been different, but I recognize that in any romance there has to be tragedy. I would highly recommend this book to my friends.
Brooklyn Tayla
Kate (beautifulbookland)
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is the exact reason why, most of the time, I read the ending of the book first.

Why? Because I read the epilogue of this book beforehand and it still broke my heart. Can you imagine if I’d been unprepared? Because I don’t even want to think about it.

Izzy + Tristan is a contemporary retelling, based on the story of Iseult and Tristan (of which I’d never heard of before now - I am an uncultured swine).

The pair meet after Izzy and her family move into Tristan’s neighbourhood, and whi/>Izzy
Morgan
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sophia
Aug 23, 2019 rated it liked it
I don't know how to feel about this book...
I did think the characters and setting were created well and I did empathise with them but I just felt like the story was a bit all-over-the-place. I feel like the author should have just stuck with one problem instead of introducing a bunch of different important topics. The author writes about depression; problems black people face; drugs; etc. but nothing is really fixed: The issues aren't dealt with and it just ruins the book as problems go un
Angela Smith
An old story for a new generation. This book tells the tale of Tristan and Iseult but in 21st century Brooklyn. Sixteen year old "Izzy" and her family are new to the neighbourhood. She has a twin brother called Hull who is a bit of a strange one. Then there is Tristan or as his cousin Marcus likes to call him "T" Tristan is a chess prodigy and Marcus is a bit of a budding street thug who uses T to make money off his play chess.

I really understand very little about the game of chess,
Mignon
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Izzy & Tristan is a beautifully written, modern twist on an old tale. Vivid descriptions of Brooklyn create the perfect backdrop for this version of the story. I especially enjoyed the narrative structure told from the perspectives of each of the teenage main characters. The writer has so masterfully captured the drama of high school, at times you feel as if you're back there yourself, staring down another taco bowl lunch. This was a quick read, and once you pick it up, you won't want to put ...more
Katie Hurse
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5-4 stars
I kind of took a break in the middle of reading this and I wish I hadn't because I think if I'd kept going, I might have loved it a little more/give it a straight 4 star review. The first 40% or so was really strong in my opinion; I really love Shannon Dunlap's writing style. Then the middle 40% was a little slower and that's when I started to get antsy and took a little hiatus from reading it. The last 20% I just finished reading and it was really impactful. The ending was pret
Wendopolis
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Way too over the top for me, regarding the emotions/romance. At least in the original story of Tristan and Isolde, they ingest a love potion that explains the sappiness. That doesn't happen in this retelling.

The author did a good job building the characters; I just didn't care for the execution.
MyLittleLibrary
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
Honestly just didn’t like it and it’s was super predictable. The writing was also not my favorite.🤷🏼♀🤷🏼♀🤷🏼♀🤷🏼♀🤷🏼♀🤷🏼♀🤷🏼♀🤷🏼♀🤷🏼♀🤷🏼♀🤷🏼♀🤷🏼♀🤷🏼♀🤷🏼♀🤷🏼♀🤷🏼♀ ...more
Ruth Aileen
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I have read in a long time. Very surprise ending. Won’t ruin it for you readers BUT you will definitely want Kleenexes handy. More concise review to follow...
Liv Caks
Very cute and fluffy overall. I loved the chess talk but the rating fell to 3/5 stars because I felt that ending was very much detached from the rest of the book - honestly that whole last quarter was a bit clunky and didn’t really sit well with how the book had been running.
Ankara
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
3,75 ⭐
It started out as a clichéd, insta-love, teen love story, but the ending was great.
and-her-nose-stuck-in-a-book
No. Just no. This story didn’t speak to me at all. Both Izzy and Tristan felt like rather bland characters without much personality, and I felt as though all the sneaking around and hiding from “cousin Marcus” was overdone.
Aoife
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
I really enjoyed this one. I'm only vaguely familiar with Tristan and Iseult, but the story was brilliant on its own, if somewhat heartbreaking.The main four characters were very well done. A fantastic read and one I'll definitely recommend to people when it publishes.

I received a proof in exchange for an honest review.

The cold air nips at us as we circle the reservoir. In the distance, the reservoir's fountain shoots into the air, the powerful gush of it shatterin/>The
Nick Gardner
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As a retelling of the Tristan and Isolde story, there was a lot of opportunity to fall right into the cliche. However, the author was able to turn many beautiful and original phrases, and stir in plenty of social and political commentary to make this retelling unique.
Though I am not one to read many young adult stories, I felt that this novel made itself available to the young adult audience while taking a closer, unjaded look at society around us. It is a relevant and important book as well as
Jessica Rempel (one.book.at.a.time)
Firstly, I want to thank Hachette Book Group Canada for sending me an ARC of Izzy + Tristan in exchange for my honest review!

Izzy + Tristan is a YA contemporary that features a sweet romance between two high school characters and also deals with heavy, important issues such as racial tension, police brutality, and gang violence. It alternates between three first-perspectives - Izzy, Tristan, and Brianna.

When it comes to books, especially YA contemporaries, characterizatio
Lilyfae
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent and inclusive story that crosses genres and target audiences to be a universal observation of love and the challenges it can face:
A timeless love story steeped in the classic legend of Tristan & Iseult/Isolde, brought to the modern streets of Brooklyn, sort of what West Side Story did for Romeo & Juliet though this time without the song & dance.
Bringing in aspects of high school politics, New York street culture, gentrification and Black Lives Matter
Kaylee Gwyn (literarypengwyns)
3.5 Stars

OMG YET ANOTHER BOOK WHERE THE FIRST HALF IS MEH AND THEN THE SECOND HALF REALLY RESONATES. Seriously, this is like the third book in a row...is something wrong with me? WHAT. IS. HAPPENING.

This is a pretty great modern adaptation of the Arthurian legend of Tristan and Iseult and it remains pretty faithful to the original myth (INCLUDING THE LOVE SPELL!).

Set in modern day Brooklyn, Izzy just moved into a newly gentrified neighborhood and is sticking out because
reenie
May 25, 2019 rated it did not like it
Hasina (PagesEnchanted)
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of contemporary
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

Thanks to Hachette Book Group Canada for sending me a review copy in exchange for an honest review.

This story is based off of Tristan and Iseult (or Isolde) and the plot incorporated those elements well. It added a modern twist that would attract younger readers.

The characters were what brought a lot to this story. The main characters were Izzy or Iseult, Tristan, Brianna, Marcus, and Hull. The story begins when Izzy and Hull, twins, mo
Cristiana
May 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Julia Bucci
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Izzy + Tristan centers around a romance between Izzy who has recently moved from Manhattan to Brooklyn and Tristan who lives in Brooklyn with his Aunt. Izzy has a twin brother who did not embrace the move and this makes Izzy dive even deeper into the social circles of their new neighborhood. Through their relationship Izzy learns about chess, micro aggressions, and hidden spaces of the city. Tristan fearfully keeps secrets from his cousin. Their romance takes over every aspect of their lives. In ...more
Georgia Hansard
3/5

"The cold air nips at us as we circle the reservoir. In the distance, the reservoir's fountain shoots into the air, the powerful gush of it shattering on the wind as it falls. It's early enough that there are still dogged runners doing their laps around the water, and I get the abrupt urge to join them. I swallow my last bit of sandwich and take Izzy's elbow, pull her into a trot with me. She's reluctant at first, dragging me back to a walk, but I smile at her, coaxing without words. an/>"The
« previous 1 3 next »
Is anyone else really, really excited for this one??? 1 1 Jan 03, 2019 12:49PM

• The Ones That Disappeared
  • Jack of Hearts
  • The Taste of Blue Light
  • The Survival Game
  • Jane Doe and the Cradle of All Worlds (Jane Doe Chronicles #1)
  • The Sound of Drowning
  • Cold Day in the Sun
  • Out of Heart
  • This Beats Perfect (This Beats Perfect #1)
  • The Worst Girlfriend in the World
  • 10 Blind Dates
  • The Flatshare
  • Night Music
  • This Train Is Being Held
“I think I'm in love with you. I know it, actually. It's the only thing I've ever known for sure since I met you in the playground.” 0 likes