Start by marking “Splintered Silence (Bone Gap Travellers #1)” as Want to Read:
Splintered Silence (Bone Gap Travellers #1)

Splintered Silence

(Bone Gap Travellers #1)

Among the Irish Travellers living in the Appalachian Mountains of Tennessee, no one forgets and no one forgives. And as former Marine MP Brynn Callahan finds out when she returns home, it's hard to bury the past when bodies keep turning up....

After an IED explosion abruptly ends her tour of duty, Brynn arrives stateside with PTSD and her canine partner Wilco--both of them
Published December 26th 2017 by Kensington

To ask other readers questions about Splintered Silence, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Celia
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Splintered Silence (Bone Gap Travellers #1)
Carrie
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong is the first book in the new suspense Bone Gap Travellers series. The series is set around a group of Irish Travellers that have settled in Bone Gap, Tennessee in the Appalachian Mountains. After events in her past Brynn Callahan left the group to join the Marines but now after an IED explosion has left her injured she’s returned with her cadaver dog, Wilco.

The story has a lot going on to pull a reader into it as Brynn has returned with her own scars and a
Amy
Dec 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: physical-arcs
Every once in awhile I have the pleasure of reading a book with a wholly unique premise that’s unlike anything I’ve read before and honestly, not much makes me happier! Splintered Silence was one of those rare books, it was original, exciting and extremely well written and had a lead duo that not only stole my heart, but left me dying to find out more!

I have never heard of Irish Travellers before but from the moment I started this I was so fascinated. These “clans” are often compared to gypsies
Sherri Thacker
Jan 20, 2018 rated it liked it
A quick read. I liked it ok. Not great. But ok
Cathy Geha
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong
Bone Gap Travelers #1

Dark twisted and filled with tragedies and secrets this story is brilliant and a great beginning to the Bone Gap Travelers series!

Brynn Callahan and Wilco, her Human Remains Detection (HRD) dog, are a team that depend on one another for just about everything. Both have been scarred by an IED and discharged from service. Brynn has found her PTSD difficult to deal with even with affectionate deaf Wilco at her side. She has opted, for one
Lynn
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-reads-2018
What a good read! I have enjoyed Susan Furlongs cozy mystery series. However, this is not a cozy mystery. The main character is Brynn Callahan who has returned home from serving as a HRD (human remains detection) MP with her dog Wilco. They both have been damaged by a IED while serving in the Marines. Both suffer from PTSD.

Brynn belongs to the clans of the Irish Travellers who live in Bone Gap Tennessee. There are rules that are followed by the clan. There is tension between the Travellers and
Ari Maayan
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an unusual book. Never read anything quite like it. It is tight, fast-paced and well written. I am a Marine with severe combat related PTSD and I understand the protagonist in this book all too well. Great book.
Shalini
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
The story is written in the background of the clan of Irish Travellers who are thought to be gypsies and are looked upon by the local people. Many have settled in America for generations and are frequently discriminated against. I liked the fact that the author explains this in the foreword.
Brynn returns back from the war along with her canine friend, Wilco to her grandmother's, when Wilco finds a dead woman. Brynn is torn between her clan and the other settled people till she finds out that the
Fred
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Splintered Silence is the first book in the Bone Gap Travellers Mystery series.

Brynn Callahan is an Irish Traveller, some may call them gypsy's, and has recently returned from the Middle East where she served as an MP in the Marine Corps. While on duty she and her partner, Wilco, a cadaver searching dog, they were injured when an IED exploded. The story centers around Brynn’s dealing with PSTD and returning to her home where Irish Travellers are looked down on by the local, or as the Travellers
Kathleen Gray
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Terrific! If you're looking for a dynamic, new and definitely unique heroine, Brynn is for you. Oh, and Wilco- don't forget Wilco, who is the best dog character I've read in a long time. Brynn has a lot of baggage, dating back to her childhood. She's a traveller, her mom left when she was an infant, and more. She joined the Marines after a traumatic event= and then did tours searching for human remains, until she was blown up by an IED. Now she's back at home and trying to cope but she funds a ...more
CD {Boulder Blvd}
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the characters, the background set up and the plot of this one. Solid first book in a series that I will continue. Plus Wilco, the lead character's retired marine cadaver dog, is a very nice addition as I like the added element of service dogs.

I would put this in the same type of book as Barbara Nickless's Sydney Rose Parnell series. If you enjoyed one series, you would probably enjoy the other series.

My one complaint is that I've grown very tired of the extremely damaged primary
Diane
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
(Thank you NetGalley and the Publisher for the opportunity to read and review this book)
Splintered Silence by author Susan Furlong is written with a focus on the Irish Travellers, the Bone Gap Travellers, who live in the backwoods of Tennessee. Brynn Callahan and her service dog Wilco served with the marines in the Middle East. They were injured in an IED explosion and sent home. Both Brynn and Wilco suffer from flashbacks and PTSD.
Wilco is a trained cadaver dog and one morning sniffs out a
Nora-adrienne
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing story which held me spellbound from beginning to end. I read it in under 24 hours and can't wait for the next one to hit the stores!
Daniele
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017

SPLINTERED SILENCE is the compulsively readable first installment in the Bone Gap Travellers Mystery series by Susan Furlong. I have long been a fan of Furlong’s cozy mysteries, and this foray into a darker mystery did not disappoint. With a flawed protagonist, an insular culture that I did not know much about before reading about them here, and a compelling story, I was hooked from the first page.

Brynn Callahan, a former marine MP, and her canine partner Wilco are adrift after being
Lisa Johnson
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Title: Splintered Silence (A Bone Gap Travelers Mystery #1)
Author: Susan Furlong
Pages: 288
Year: 2017
Publisher: Kensington
My rating 4 out of 5 stars.
There are times when I am on social media and I see a book in an ad or some people are posting about it because it is a new author. When I saw this book cover, it intrigued me and the little synopsis I read online drew me to read the story. One of the aspects of the book that is exceptional is the author’s ability to write a very engaging mystery
Linda Zagon
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
MY REVIEW OF “SPLINTERED SILENCE” BY SUSAN FURLONG

“Splintered Silence” by Susan Furlong is a captivating and unique suspenseful mystery. The story takes place in Tennessee near the Appalachian Mountains in Bone Gap Tennessee, where the Irish Travellers, a clan of people who have special traditions and believe that “no one forgets and no one forgives” live. They live their own way and don’t trust outsiders.

The towns people or “settled” people of McCreary tend to discriminate and call the “
Jenny Kales
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Having been a fan of Susan Furlong’s cozy mystery series, I was entranced by her foray into a grittier style of writing. Her story of a returning soldier with PTSD and a service dog (who served with her overseas) is fully absorbing. The characters are believable and real, and the scenes are vivid. This is one of the best books I have read all year.

The story follows the homecoming of Brynn, a female soldier returning to the small, close-knit community of Irish Travellers in Bone Gap, TN. She's
Stephen Terrell
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime-fiction
Susan Furlong has expertly crafted a wonderful mystery that propels the reader into an entirely new part of Americana that few know exists -- The Irish Travelers who live an isolated existence in the mountains of Appalachian Tennessee and other parts of the South.

The Travelers really exist. They do, as their name implies, travel, following the seasons doing handiwork throughout the United States. They are a closed society, untrusting of the "settled" outside world. In their world, Susan Furlong
Nina
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brynn and her cadaver dog Wilco, both injured in an IED explosion head back home to her gipsy clan roots in the Appalachian Mountains and ugly memories, drug runners, rape and murder.

Amazing characters and lots of action. The book just kept getting better and better. I never saw the end coming.

This book is the first in a new series called Bone Gap Travellers Mystery.

If you read just one book this year. Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong should be it.
Karen A. Martin
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Got to read..New and exciting book!

Worth the read. So glad to know she has written another book. The entire read kept my attention and interest. Great job. The change of information was excellent and make s the heroine real.
Jackie Nolan
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure what to expect when going into this book, but I'm really glad I read this story! This book was so unique and unlike anything else that I've ever read. I had never heard of the Irish Travellers before reading this book. I enjoyed learning about them and their culture. It was really interesting to read about and added a special element to the story being told.

You can't help but feel for Brynn. She has been through so much, it's no wonder that she has PTSD and is having trouble
Celia
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Splintered Silence is a tough and gritty book that deals with the effects of a veteran returning from serving in the Marines in Afghanistan, and a group that I had heard of, but didn't know much about, the Irish Travelers. Brynn Callahan has returned home to the traveler's settlement in Bone Gap, Tennessee after three tours overseas with her service dog, Wilco. Brynn's duty was body recovery, and Wilco is her cadaver-sniffing dog. Both are experiencing Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome as a result ...more
Sarah Dykes
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am a huge fan of Susan Furlong's Georgia Peach cozy mystery series, so when I saw that she was writing a novel that featured a former Marine and her military working dog, I was ecstatic.

Brynn and Wilco, her human remains detection dog, return to Bone Gap after being seriously injured and traumatized during deployment. Her home is far from happy - a member of the Irish Travellers, the clan's values tend to clash with those of the "settled" people, and tensions are running high both amongst the
Darcia Helle
Splintered Silence is a thoroughly unique and engaging story. I loved everything about it.

Susan Furlong is a gifted writer. I knew next to nothing about Irish Travellers, yet in no time at all I was transported to a different culture in this place called Bone Gap. Within this place, I experienced the racism directed at the people, I understood their desire to wander, and I envied their bond.

And, oh, the characters! They're all complex and unique. Brynn is a damaged heroine, and through her we
Lori Cimino
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OMG! This book hooked me from beginning to end. I could not put it down. I want the next one now
Betty
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW!!! I was happy to receive an e-mail of copy first of the Bone Gap series. There is more information about the Iris Travelers. The tale captured my interest from the first page to the last one. Bone Gap is a small town in rural Tennessee The residents are the Clan of the Pavee, Gypsies and Settled people. Plan on reading when you have the time as you won't want to put down.
Marine MP Brynn Callahanand her canine partner, Wilco have returned to Bone Gap, Tennessee. Bryan is a half Pavee and
Mike Finn
Earlier today, I DNF'd "Children Of Time" which was one of the books on my "Thirty Firsts" reading challenge. I picked up "Splintered Silence" because it's also on that list.

I was fairly sure I was going to like this one: the plot had a lot of similarities to "Blood On The Tracks" which I enjoyed. It has a strong but damaged female lead, a loyal but damaged dog, a murder to solve and a unique culture (Irish Travellers) to delve into.

I only made it through the dedication and the first chapter
Aristotle
Dec 30, 2018 rated it liked it
“Do to others as you would have them do to you”

Irish Travelers, Pavees are unwelcoming, suspicious, and mistrustful of outsiders and they wonder why they are treated with same disdain.

This was one problem i had with the book. I was not sympathetic to the Travelers who portrayed themselves as victims.
Brynn was an enigma, the other characters were not the most relatable.
I was patient with Brynn and her PTSD. She was blessed to have Wilco by her side. How long can she play the victim card? It
Elena Hartwell
I enjoyed this book very much, especially the relationship between the protagonist and her dog. Both war veterans, watching the woman and her canine learn to deal with civilian life again, is as compelling as the mystery they uncover.
Jenna
hoarder challenge: #6 Blue cover

Again, another series..ugh...but it's for the book group & the challenge so what the heck.

This is one of those mysteries that have a different element in the usual mystery/thriller genre which I find appealing: the irish travellers, the ex-military cadaver dog, smart female protagonist.

The story moves at a swift pace.
I found the mystery interesting but I don’t know if I liked the Brynn character. She comes across as severe.
I did like her relationship w/her
Cindy Dyson Eitelman
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Pile on the pain! Ex-Marine Brynn returns from her tour of duty as one severely screwed up soldier with only two things going for her--a corpse-sniffing dog and an ever-loving grandmother. Her flashbacks and panic attacks and habit of mixing prescription painkillers with liquor has kept her from holding down a civilian job, so she goes to visit her Gram in Bone Gap, Tennessee.

I spent the first part of the book cringing at her flashbacks and wondering if the "Irish Travelers" were a real thing or
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Face Blind: A Mystery
  • Someone Always Knows (Sharon McCone #31)
  • Inquisition (Jack Howard #10)
  • A Borrowing of Bones (Mercy & Elvis Mysteries #1)
  • Silent Scream (South Shores #5)
  • Testament (Jack Howard #9)
  • The Birthing House
  • Storm Rising (FBI K-9 #3)
  • Picture Me Dead
  • Charity's Burden (Quaker Midwife Mystery #4)
  • The Mentor
  • Do No Harm (Dr. Katie LeClair #2)
  • A Bad Day for Sunshine (Sunshine Vicram, #1)
  • Six Feet Under (Kenni Lowry #4)
  • The Long Paw of the Law (Paw Enforcement, #7)
  • Dead as a Doornail (Kenni Lowry Mystery)
  • Blind Search (Mercy & Elvis Mysteries #2)
  • The Scent of Murder (Jazz Ramsey, #1)
Susan Furlong is the bestselling author of several mystery series and the forthcoming dark suspense novel, FRACTURED TRUTH, the second book of Bone Gap Travellers series. She contributes to the New York Times bestselling Novel Idea Mysteries under the pen name Lucy Arlington. Susan has worked as a freelance writer, academic writer, ghost writer, translator, high-school language arts teacher, and ...more

Bone Gap Travellers (3 books)
  • Fractured Truth (Bone Gap Travellers #2)
  • Shattered Justice (A Bone Gap Travellers, #3)
“Wilco and I would find a body, a young soldier, nothing more than a boy or girl really, and I’d see the marriage that would never be, the kids and grandkids that would never happen, a family tree altered forever. I grew to understand that there was no closure for the heart-wrenching grief felt by those who have loved and lost. They’d hold their sorrow for a lifetime of milestones that would never be. And that realization slowly ate away at me.” 2 likes
“When death settles in, it evicts the soul and devours the flesh, and reduces a whole life to nothing but dry bones and a mere smudge of bio matter.” 0 likes