Start by marking “The Masterkey (Masterful #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Masterkey (Masterful #0.5)

The Masterkey

(Masterful #0.5)

Fans of Sara Shepard will adore Wildenstein's suspenseful MASTERFUL series.

ROMANCE. SECRETS. LIES.

Seventeen-year-old Aster Redd is convinced her mother is hiding a gun. But no one--neither her love interest Joshua Cooper, nor her twin sister Ivy--believes her.
Until her mother fires a gun one dark night.
A gun she claims Aster planted on her to make her look evil.
With Jos
Published October 16th 2017 by Olivia Wildenstein (first published October 3rd 2017)

To ask other readers questions about The Masterkey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Masterkey

Start your review of The Masterkey (Masterful #0.5)
Hanne
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Masterkey is the prequel to The Masterpiecers and it happens about a year before that book started. I’m always a little hesitant to read a prequel when the other books in the series are already released, but I’m so happy that I’ve read this novella. I got to read how Aster and Josh became a couple. The writing is fantastic. Some things happened and there were some revelations that I think are important for The Masterplan. I can’t wait for The Masterplan to be released! I’m loving this series ...more
Olivia Wildenstein
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I had so much trouble finding a suitable category for my Masterful series so I’m inventing one: Romantic suspense for teens. Says it all. Enjoy...
Elsbeth
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: goodread-authors
Interesting read. It's a mystery, a romance, a young adult, a story about mental illnesses. Aster's live isn't easy, with a sick mother who only loves her sister. Luckily she has Ivy and Joshua, who love her dearly. But they lie to her and don't always believe her either. Complex story, but very good!
I received a copy and chose to review it.
☾ Liz ☆ Stellar Kitten Book Reviews ☆
☆ 3.5 Stars ☆

I was a little confused at first as to where the story was going, but I liked the journey overall. I had fun reading about Aster, Ivy, and Josh. I'm looking forward to reading the next book and seeing what happens next! Full review to come~

Full review on Stellar Kitten Book Reviews:

description

❝ Pensive, I pick up my fork and dig into the gloppy red mess that feels like my life. This mess, though, I can make disappear. The turmoil inside me, that won't go away until Mom does.

Or until I do.❞
Astrid Arditi
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great prologue to the Masterful series! Ivy is given a place of choice in the following books in the series, but I've always had a soft spot for Aster. Which would explain why I was so thrilled to see this book is dedicated to her and her story with Josh :) Full of suspense, unreliable characters and family secrets, it was impossible to put down. And the ending! What a twist! Loved it!
Sabrina
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, 2017
Checkout more of my reviews on my blog! https://omgbooksandmorebooks.blogspot...

I really liked set up of the characters and their back story. I am intrigued by the characters and I'm going to start The Masterpiecers soon!!

A great introduction to the Masterful series!
Jackie
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Totally amazing by an author that only writes fantastic stories. Aster is convinced that her Mom has a gun. Unfortunately no one believes her, until one night. Just kept me reading to find out what happens. Received an ARC and would have reviewed anyway.
Theresea
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this!! It's a short prequel to the Masterful series and is a must read for fans of Olivia Wildenstein. There's everything I've come to expect from Wildenstein: fantastic writing, complex and loveable characters, steamy romance, all that AND a mystery that is expertly woven into the narrative. If you ever wondered where the Redd sisters came from, here's your chance to find out. And if you've only just now discovered the Masterful series, start with this one and work your way through. It' ...more
Lene Blackthorn
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Strange things have happened, but strange is the definition of Aster´s life.
Living in a broken household, Aster struggles with her life. Where her twin sister Ivy shines and attracts the positive attention, Aster is labelled ad the "weird" twin, suffering from mood sways and depression. Even her mother often overlooks and abuses her. But everyone keeps secret, and when Aster discovers her mom has a gun in her possession, she becomes suspicious. With the help of her long-term friend, Josh, Aster
Danielle
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
:-o

So many surprises!!! A lot of things that were very sad, too. It made me cry a lot. I just want to hug Aster and be her best friend.
Lynn
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked this book. But it needs a trigger warning for abuse etc..

Interesting twist. Based in mental illness/eating disorders/twins. It was totally unpredictable and that makes it just so much better
Becky Stephens
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller, suspense
The Masterkey, a prequel in the Masterful series, is a quick read, and the perfect place to start to get to know Aster and Ivy Redd and Josh, all main protagonists in either The Masterminds or The Masterpiecers, Books 1 and 2, respectively, in the Masterful series. Even secondary characters, like the twins' mom and Josh's parents, are three-dimensional, and I enjoyed getting to know them.

​I enjoyed witnessing Aster and Josh's budding romantic relationship, and it warmed my heart when he stands u
Teri
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well this is my first read by this author and man I have to say it was well played. A wonderful blend of suspense and intrigue to keep you turning the pages, wondering whose reality is the truth. There is so much hinted at and twisted misdirection it keeps you wanting more. Whose truth is the truth and who is covering something. It's all well done and this quick read leaves you yearning for more.
Kathy
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a very interesting story. Not sure what I expected but it was really good. Am really looking forward to reading the rest of the series because all of these characters were fascinating though somewhat sad.

I received a free copy of this book and voluntarily chose to review it.
Brittany Davidson
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
It took me a little bit to get into it, but once I did, it was an alright book, as the first that I have read of this series, it was decent, though kind of tragic overall of her story. I think it was a well thought out story line though. should be given a chance to read.
Stephanie
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-it
I really enjoyed this first look into the series.

I was gifted an ARC for an honest review.
Blagica
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018, favs
I am a die hard Olivia Wildenstein fan I have inhaled every story I have come across by her. The Masterful Series is so amazing and this was no disappointment I loved it. I only wish it was longer. Josh and Aster are amazing and this story is sweet and sad. I love the back story and this makes me want to read the whole series again. Will there be more?
Angela Sanders
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this book as part of the USA Today Bestselling boxed set, Murder and Mayhem. It was the first book that I had ever read from this author and certainly not the last, as I bought the next two books immediately afterward.
This novella had me on the edge of my seat the entire time. At times, I wanted to slap both Ivy and Josh, but they're the two people who love Aster the most in the world.
Cruelty runs high and Aster's story is one of true heartbreak. I refuse to give spoilers, but I highly
Sam
The Masterkey is a short story that follows Aster and Ivy as they deal with their mother's and Aster's mental illness, parental favouritism, school and the trials of being a young adult. The writing is interesting and gives a balanced approach to the story jumping between Aster and Josh, a long term friend and shoulder to cry on, so you don't get bogged down in Aster's justifiably pessimistic view of the world. This also sets the scene well for the rest of the series and leaves it open enough th ...more
Karen
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Masterkey is a very good book.

My first time reading this author a and I enjoyed every minute of it. I hope to read about the twins and lives as adults . I really want Josh and Array to stay together and have their own family. Happy reading everyone.

Wren
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An Engrossing Tale

This book was wonderful,albeit way too short.
The character and world building was fantastic. I just couldn't put this down. It's not quite a mystery,yet filled with suspense, and twists and turns. I highly recommend The Masterkey. You won't be disappointed.
Brad
Dec 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I read this book as part of the Murder & Mayhem Omnibus, and while in itself it is not a bad little story, there was not really enough murder or mayhem to fit in with the rest of the titles.

It tells the tale of twin girls Ivy and Aster and their mother Rose, and their battle with schizophrenia.
Janet L.
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read.
hollie
Apr 17, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
full of suspense, I am really intrigued to know what happens next!! I think Olivia has set it up nicely here!
Michelle VanDaley
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
The masterkey is a fabulous introduction to the characters in the Masterful series. It is a perfect teaser that engages you and leaves you wanting more.
Katie
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This quick read is the perfect place to start in order to really get a feel for the Redd sisters. As usual, Wildenstein kept me teetering on a rope--who is sane, who is not, who can you trust?
Adriane
« previous 1 3 next »

• Crave (Crave #1)
  • The Girls Weekend
  • The House Guest
  • A New Keeper (The Secret Library, #1)
  • The Vampire Heir
  • Sunshine & Secrets (The Paradise Cookery School #1)
  • The Girl Who Could Change Fate
  • Humanity's Protectors (Influence, #1.5)
  • The Witch's Spark (The Silver Witch Chronicles Book 1)
  • Kilty History (Kilty, #6)
  • Arcadia (Secrets of Aurora Book 3)
  • Good Girl, Bad Blood (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #2)
  • Twisted Hearts (The Camorra Chronicles, #5)
  • Arise (Cruel and Beautiful World Book 3)
  • When Wishes Bleed (When Wishes Bleed, #1)
  • Fae Bound: Book One : An exciting young adult fantasy adventure
  • The Perfect Life
USA TODAY bestselling author Olivia Wildenstein grew up in New York City and earned her bachelor’s in comparative literature from Brown University. After designing jewelry for a few years, Wildenstein traded in her tools for the writing life, which made more sense considering her college degree.

When she’s not sitting at her computer, she’s psychoanalyzing everyone she meets (Yes. Everyone), eaves

Masterful (3 books)
  • The Masterpiecers
  • The Masterminds (Masterful #2)
  • The Masterplan (Masterful #3)