Start by marking “Every Breath You Take” as Want to Read:
Every Breath You Take

Every Breath You Take

(Nights at Mata Hari #1)

Someone is murdering young gay men in Washington, DC.

When Zachary Hall leaves Utah for a job in Washington, it’s finally his chance to live as a gay man and maybe find someone special. In a bar he meets Thomas Scarborough, a man who seems perfect in and out of the bedroom. But Thomas never dates. He never even sleeps with the same man twice. Despite their instant connection
ebook, 1 edition, 240 pages

I'll be watching you

Oh can't you see
You belong to me
My poor heart aches
With every step you take

When you first heard that illustrious song did you think it was a love song? I did. Until I really listened to the lyrics and thought:

Sting's seductive voice masked its underlying FAKE NEWS lub! What the song and this book are about is obsession.

Thomas had a stalker in Seattle that destroyed his life, forced him to change his name, cost him his
Nancy
Cross-posted at Shelf Inflicted and at Outlaw Reviews

Well written, and a whole lot of fun!

Zachary Hall left his oppressive home in Utah and took a job in Washington, DC, where he can thrive in his career and live life on his own terms. The only thing that’s missing in his life is that special someone.

At the Mata Hari, his first gay bar, he meets Thomas Scarborough, a gorgeous, self-confident man who appeals to Zachary. Despite their mutual attraction and connection, Thomas is very skittish
Simone
May 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Stalker = a person who harasses or persecutes someone with unwanted and obsessive attention (Def. according to Oxford Dictionaries)

Every Breath You Take conveys a sense of how creepy, nerve-wracking and life-altering such an obsession can be for the person in the center of this attention...
"Evil comes into our lives for many reasons and in many different ways, but it's madness to imagine we have control or that we can single-handedly stop it. All we can do is face it and fight."

... but it also reminds the reader that in mostattention...
Fabi
Robert Winter has written a very engaging crime mystery m/m romance novel.

It took me forever to unravel the "who dunnit". There are quite a few twists and turns. There is also some horrific killing which may need a trigger warning. The scenes are not super detailed but there's enough information that I was cringing away from my e-reader.

The entire plot is tied together by the developing romance between our two main characters, Zachary and Thomas. Their story shows what happens when we meet "the one"./>The
Christelle
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm-steamy, mm-intense
**4.5 stars**
Beware : this story is stronger on the suspense than on the romance and with some disturbing references to sexual abuse. But it’s worth it !!

A man has been brutally murdered and the investigation leads the cops to a gay bar where the victim has last been seen. The same bar that Zachary, freshly arrived in Washington from a little town with not a lot of opportunities for a gay man, chooses as his starting point for making friends and enjoying his freedom as being gay. And he
CrabbyPatty
"Every Breath You Take," written by Sting, was the number one song of 1983. While some think this song is suitable for weddings and other romantic events, Sting himself said "I think the song is very, very sinister and ugly and people have actually misinterpreted it as being a gentle little love song, when it's quite the opposite." When reading Robert Winter's Every Breath You Take, keep these lyrics in mind because this book is majorly creepy and will demand your interest from page 1:
Every breath y
Karen
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
So if you're anything like me...
when you saw this book title the first thing that came to your mind was something like this...
"Oh can't you see
You belong to me
My poor heart aches
With every step you take"
Back in 1983 a group called 'The Police' recorded a song by the same title as this book 'Every Breath You Take' by The Police is a song about an obsessive stalker and if you go on You Tube and google 'top 10 stalker songs' at the top of that rather interesting list you'll find 'Every Breath You/>"Oh
Ariana
May 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs, lgbtq
This starts with a bang that immediately sucks you into the book. Never read anything that had a stalker in it before. And this one is pretty gruesome.

Robert Winter really got to me with those creepy scenes where we are in the mind of the perpetrator. (in the best possible way). This is where I should mention that this book is written from multiple POVs, but the main emphasis is on the MCs, so no worries there!

Of course we know from the blurb that Zach will be on the radar of the cr
Trio
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-romance, arc-r2r
Robert Winter’s Every Breath You Take is a fast paced gem of a mystery with two intriguing main characters and a creative cast of supporting players. This is the first chance I’ve had to read anything by this author and his smooth and witty writing captivated me from the opening scene to the action packed conclusion.

The prologue sets up the story with a grisly murder and gives just a hint of what’s to come. This part of the story unfolds gradually while the main characters are introduced.
Kaje Harper
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book hit two of my personal least-favorite tropes, so four stars means it did well, in keeping me reading. I've become less and less of a fan of sexual stalkers as plot devices (especially nastily violent and yet elaborate stalkers) and I don't like being in the antagonist's POV, (unless it shows us his/her deeply conflicted complexity.) This book features both. However it also features Zachary, an appealing main character in his mix of big-city wide eyes and warm self-awareness. I enjoyed ...more
Josy
Apr 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was very different from the first book I read by this author. I liked September a bit more but these books aren't really comparable. Every Breath You Take was more mystery than romance but what a mystery it was! It had me glued to the page, biting my fingernails, holding my breath, and kept me guessing who the bad guy really was.

This is a seriously creepy book and I'm so glad I had the company of some very lovely ladies who lightened the mood with some sexy pictures and great songs,
Eugenia
Feb 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm
Meh...

I was hoping for much more than I got both in terms of writing and character development.

The dialogue and descriptions were often very dramatic and over the top. This would have worked in a comedy, or a purposely campy book, but it didn’t work in the murder mystery. Too bad.

One of the MCs suffers from past stalker-shock and limits himself to single hook-ups and avoids any sort of relationships. Since his stalker latched on after a hook-up, wouldn’t he avoid those specifical
Nat ReadingAllNite
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dreamspinner, m-m
4.5 Stars! What a riveting story this was. If you read Robert Winters first book, September, although it's not necessary to before reading this one, you'll remember Joe and Terry, who we see again as good friends of Thomas Scarborough. They all hang out at Mata Hari, a piano bar owned by another friend of theirs, Randy. This is the club Zachary chooses for his first gay bar experience, after moving to D.C. from his restrictive life in Utah. Zachary and Thomas strike sparks right away but after a night of ...more
Amanda
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a solid romantic suspense that is light on romance and heavier on suspense. It does provide me with a good creep factor that had me slightly freak out by the mysterious stalker, especially with the villain's POV.

Zach is new in DC and for the first time wanted to enjoy his freedom as a gay man away from his conservative family. What better way to start off other than to visit the local gay bar and meeting the bar regular hottie who is infamous for his no-repeats-hook-up.
Serena Yates
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017, gay
A new job, moving to a new town, and meeting new people can be great catalysts for changes in someone’s life. When Zachary, who finally wants to live openly as a gay man, arrives in Washington, DC, he is full of hope. But the man he meets and is very interested in, Thomas, has a dark past and is extremely commitment-phobic. As it turns out, Thomas has excellent reasons for being careful, and when his past returns to haunt him, things get really scary really fast. I should have taken the prologue ...more
Lulu Forth
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! This is the story of Zachary and Thomas. Its about friendship, love and a very creepy stalker!

Zachary has moved to Washington DC to work in the treasury office to escape coming out to his parents and create an independent life for himself as a gay man. He decides to try a local gay bar Marta Hari where he makes friends with a lovely married couple Joe and Terry. He also meets the most handsome man he's ever met Thomas.

They are instantly attracted to each other and subsequently spend the night
Mercedes
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-romance

Gripping story but kinda light on the romance part. The guys are not really together together for most of the book.
Elsbeth
*2.5 stars*

description

I really wanted to love this more cause I really loved this author's debut novel September.

I can really enjoy some insta lust but I can't handle insta love that well. It doesn't make sense to me. The love exlamations seem to come out of nowhere. Really such a shame cause I don't get to experience their development much.

The mystery part of this book was nicely done. But if you're looking for a really good roma
Bev
There are several triggers in this story that you should be aware of, and I will spoiler them....(view spoiler).

The title of the story is of course a famous song from the 80's by Sting and the Police. I've read some reviews which said that they ha
Lisazj1
**A bit spoilery below, read with caution**

I'm really liking the things I read from Robert Winter. This is only my second book from him but I love how he tells his stories. His characters aren't perfect and have their issues but feel relatable and real. And damn, but he can keep you holding your breath when things go down in the story.

The stalker bits of the story were super creepy and honestly shudder-inducing, very well done by the author. Reading what Thomas went through previous
Robert Winter
Nov 01, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Every Breath You Take was just named Best Gay Suspense Novel in the 2017 Rainbow Awards. It also ranked #2 overall in Best Gay Book! Read more here: https://reviews-and-ramblings.dreamwi...

I've released the second edition of Every Breath You Take, with a brand new cover. I made only minor editorial changes to the book itself. I hope you like the new cover!
Tamika♥RBF MOOD♥

Awww. I really wanted to love this. I read the author's debut book September and loved it from beginning to end. I think my biggest issue was the tone of the story. It seemed very procedural and lacked any form of emotion when I was reading it. I liked the idea of the story and plot a lot. I knew it wasn't for me by day 2 reading it. If I'm all in with a book then I'm usually done in the first day. Its the speed I read. With this book, I was super disconnected and just keep putting it down.

I finally p
Natosha Wilson
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you are looking for a good suspenseful read with lots of surprises and a little bit of love, well this book is for you.

This book was gripping that I had a hard time putting it down. Robert Winter did such an incredible job on not giving anything away as too how this book would turn out until Robert was ready to reveal the final act. This is one of those reads that is a little bit dark and somewhat of a sadistic killer that leaves the reader with their mouth hanging open and shakin
Wax
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was provided by the author via IndiGo Marketing & Design in exchange for an honest review.

I dare you to read this book and not think of Every Breath You Take by The Police, with Sting’s voice hauntingly singing a song that honestly sounds pretty stalkerish (and which, unfortunately, I cannot stop humming.)

Every breath you take
Every move you make
Every bond you break
Every step you take
I’ll be watching you

So this is Thomas Scarborough’s life now. Two year/>
Anke
Mar 03, 2018 marked it as dnf
This is a total let-down, especially after the other book I read by this author September
I didn't even manage 10%, the dialogues were so dreadful, I really couldn't read on. Might be I'm totally old fashioned but for the life of me I can't imagine a conversation between two people meeting just a few minutes ago at a bar talking about being a virgin. Sorry, not working for me. Besides of that I cannot imagine real people talking to each other like that. This whole thing was rather far-fetched and I don
F.
A great story that had me biting my nails. Liked how we got into the stalker's head.
4.5 stars(4 for GR)
Natalie
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was debating with myself if it was 3 or 4 stars. In the end I went with 4 stars because the mystery was really good, I have no nails left because of the whole 'who is it'. It was really well done I thought.

Now the only reason I struggled to give it 4 or more stars was the romance, i just wanted more of the MCs together, it felt, for me, they spent more time apart in the book than together so it felt rushed at the end. I wish they had gotten together before but that's me.

Highly recommended!
Jan
May 09, 2017 rated it liked it
***3 Stars***

Got my feelings all over the place here.
Loved the mystery, it was consistent and I found it believable.

As for the MCs, Thomas was closed off for “reasons” but before these “reasons” existed, he was stilll the same asshole to me with no “reasons” I know … confuse.com.
Fact is: Thomas pissed me off.

Zachary was a great guy but still not my favourite. He came in the story a little bit shy and insecure, starting this
ConM
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, mm-romance, crime
Excellent suspense.

Positano - sigh - my daughter just got back from a school trip to Rome, Sorrento and Positano, it sounds out of this world.
Colin James
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've been waiting anxiously waiting for this author's second book wondering if he would be able to equal the great debut novel. I was not disappointed. Like his first this is another 'can't put it down' experience.

Right from the get go you are drawn into the story but the pacing is so good that nothing is given away before it should be making this truly an edge of your seat mystery / thriller. Lots of twists and turns right up until the end.

Like the author's first book the character
« previous 1 3 next »

• Night Drop (A Pinx Video Mystery, #1)
  • The Chimera Affair (The Chimera Affair #1-1.5)
  • Love and Punishment
  • The Cool Part of His Pillow
  • The Klockwerk Kraken (Klockwerk Kraken, #1)
  • Red Fish, Dead Fish (Fish Out of Water, #2)
  • Mr. Big Empty (Hollow Folk, #1)
  • Match (Brian & Lexi, #2)
  • Fallon's Jewel
  • Bitter Legacy (Bitter Legacy, #1)
  • The Slave Catcher
  • Zombielicious
  • Inner Sanctum (The Stonebridge Mysteries, #2)
  • Drama Queen (Nicky and Noah Mystery #1)
  • Death and Destruction (Death and Destruction, #1)
  • Mute Witness
  • Dead Ringer
  • Dantès Unglued (Ward Security, #2)
Robert Winter is a recovering lawyer who likes writing about hot men in love much more than drafting a legal brief. Once upon a time, he went to Georgetown University law school. Upon graduation, he moved to New York to work in a large law firm, but later returned to Washington, DC. The legal work was entertaining and Robert spent a lot of time in bankruptcy court, usually representing either grou ...more

Nights at Mata Hari (2 books)
  • Lying Eyes (Nights at Mata Hari, #2)
“Nothin' baby. You just get close too quickly because you've got a big heart and you want a big love.” 1 likes