Start by marking “Inked Hearts” as Want to Read:
Inked Hearts

Inked Hearts (Lines in the Sand #1)

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  466 Ratings  ·  107 Reviews
“Six years, a complex about my freckles, a love for pastrami, and a fear of failure.
That’s what he gave me before slaughtering my heart and my faith in men.”

Suffering from the sting of betrayal, twenty-eight-year-old Avery Johannas quits her job and moves hundreds of miles away to Ocean City, the beach town of her dreams. With the help of her zany roommate, Jodie, Avery fi
Paperback
Published October 2017 by Hot Tree Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Inked Hearts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inked Hearts

⊱✿⊰ Alicia ⊱✿⊰
4 Love Isn't All Bad Stars

Who hasn't thought about packing up and starting over once in their lives??

Well Avery is 28 and after finding out her husband was bonking his secretary she makes the massive decision to do just that. Packing only the important things she heads to the coastal town of 'Ocean City' to start again.
How do you rediscover your belief that love can last forever, when a single moment scorched the ideal into dirty ashes?

photo tattoogun_zpsf3umguxm.gif

Jesse owns a tattoo parlour in 'Ocean City', when Avery'
Dianne
My Rating: 4.5 Stars
There are times when all of us would like to just start over, remake our lives and move forward. For Avery Johannas, that time came after she divorced her cheating husband. Suffering such a raw betrayal leaves its mark and Avery’s heart is brutally scarred, her trust levels are at zero and she needs a complete life makeover. She quit her very vanilla job and moved to the beach, got herself a quirky roommate who helped her sass-up her outside, but taking a chance on love again
1-Click Addict Support Group
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 Love Isn't All Bad Stars

Who hasn't thought about packing up and starting over once in their lives??

photo tattoogun_zpsf3umguxm.gif

Jesse owns a tattoo parlour in 'Ocean City', when Avery'
AJ
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, romantic
3.5 stars!

This is a really sweet story of a woman rediscovering herself after her life changed in ways that she never expected. A heartwarming, fun journey with an easy and sweet romance, this is a really cute read.

28-year-old Avery Johannas is starting over. After literally finding her husband cheating on her, she has divorced him and is moving on with her life, and that comes with a fresh start. So she’s packed up her life and is starting over in a small beach town, determined to live her lif
Janja
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was ok

A gentle story, but without real depth.
DJ Sakata
Favorite Quotes:

You know, Avery, rule one of getting a tattoo—don’t piss off the guy with the tattoo equipment who can wreck you for life.

He, like the elderly women, is also wearing rather tight yoga pants—except his are leopard print. To go with his leopard print pants, he’s picked out a black muscle tank that is leaving very little to the imagination—not that I would have really wanted to imagine his hairy chest anyway. I try not to stare at his pecs, nipples out and all, as I offer a polite g
Aneeqa (ReadMatic.Book.Blog)
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-review
3.5 stars!

The first book in the Lines in the Sand series, Inked Hearts by Lindsay Detwiler shows what it means to let the life you knew go to become your true self.

Every one of us at some point in our lives wanted to just pack up and leave all the gossip and people telling us what we should do.

Inked Hearts is about Avery who is brave enough to move across countries in search for a new truer version of herself, to create a life she wants.

Divorced at 28, she swore off men completely and instead i
Dawnie

I wanted something that was fast to read and just kept me busy for a little while -without thought or actually getting involved into the story.

And other than rolling my eyes at the EXTREME cheesiness that is going on in this book it was exactly that.

Its nothing special, but its fun.

And sometimes that is exactly what i want and i got it with this, so its good for that.

If however you are looking for "deep" romance, for realistic and logical story and good plot, great writing and wonderful char
ItaPixie
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars

Inked Hearts was a pleasant and warm read.

I liked Avery,our heroine,she is a scorned woman who decided to leave her past behind and to move to a little beach city.Her thoughts and emotions are clearly portrayed I felt like I was next to her during her journey to a brand-new life.

The supporting characters perfectly complement the story,I can't wait to read more about them in the next book.

Lady Heather

On sale for half price!

Amazon US: http://amzn.to/2uOxzwg
All other links: books2read.com/inkedhearts

photo inkedheart_forjpegs_frontcover.jpg

Add to Goodreads www.goodreads.com/book/show/34808535-...

Synopsis

That’s what he gave me before slaughtering my heart and my faith in men.”

Suf
Amy
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Inked Hearts
Lindsay Detwiler
5 stars

Avery Johannas is divorced at 28 - overcoming self inflicted self confidence issues and now her cheating husband has done nothing but put those pieces back in to play in her head. Starting over and hoping for something even a tad better for herself which includes NO MAN is her plan. Her new roommate might help her remember what its like to have fun (I hope to see a lot more of Jodie) and her boss is a good guy she thinks but dating him -- no way.

Jesse knows
Hailee (haibooklovers)
Apr 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fluff
This one was hella cheesy.
Kate ღ
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book made me want to vomit on several occasions. The writing is good, but oh my, it's sickly sweet. A bit cringe at times. 🤢 Not my cuppa.
Michelle
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a great story of healing yourself and finding yourself all in one book. Add in some pretty great characters and it makes for a great book and hopefully more to come in a series...hint..hint...
Elsa Gomes (BookishAurora)
Rate: 3,5 / 5 stars

This book tells the story of a woman who just got divorced after finding her husband cheating. Tired of all the advice, gossip and pity from friends and family, she decides to move states and leave her life behind in pursuit of a new Avery, a Avery that does what she wants, explores and tries new things and gives old interests a second shot. Avery finds a new home, new friends, a new job and new love interest, a love interest that is sweet, brings adventure into her life, ma
Cyndi Becker
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When Avery leaves her home town to start anew in Ocean Beach, she's getting away from her failed marriage, a betrayal that completely caught her off guard, and shaking up her career by stepping away from her job as a CPA. It's really the start of her journey in finding herself. Her identity has been wrapped up in being a wife and a daughter, and she taking a a huge risk by leaving the safety of her family.

In Inked Hearts, Lindsay Detwiler delivers a beautiful story about taking chances. Avery up
Michelle
Oct 24, 2017 rated it liked it
3-3.5 Stars

This book was an ok read for me. It was a fast read. It flowed good. But it was missing something for me. It was missing the heat from the main characters. I wanted to feel the sexual attraction between them. And as I read on... I kept waiting for something to happen. in my opinion it never really came. The drama in this book just seemed like it wasn't enough. This book had a wholesome feel to it. That's not bad. But just something I'm not use to.

I would put this book in the clean ca
Christie72
Wow! This book was an AWESOME 5 stars for me! Avery has picked up and moved miles away from her ex-husband who betrayed her and smashed her heart into pieces. She decides to take this opportunity to live a more carefree life, but love is DEFINITELY NOT ON HER RADAR. Then, she meets sexy, mysterious Jesse, the owner of a tattoo store. He’s not interested in romance either, but the two recognize heartbreak in each other’s eyes. So, the beginnings of a friendship and possibly more begin. The questi ...more
Smashlybookalicousreviewingchicks
Avery is leaving her old life behind including her cheating ex-husband and her love of Accounting to get a chance to start over in Ocean City. She meets Jodie, her quirky yet hilarious roommate and her clan of friends. They instantly take to Avery. She has her new Avery groove going on and it is peaceful.
Jesse has a quite side he hides well based upon his past experiences, yet there is one thing he holds dear and that is keeping his dad’s dream alive by working at his chosen passion, but in the
Nightbird Novels
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
With the end of Avery Johannas' marriage, her satisfaction in her old life has started to crumble. So when she decides to leave it all behind for a fresh start, she vows to herself that this time she is going to do everything different. Until she meets Jesse Pearce...

In a brand new city, with a new roommate, a completely different job and a fantastic group of friends, she slowly regains her confidence and learns to be happy for herself. But her idea about avoiding men is quickly unraveling with
Ally's Book Reviews
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I voluntarily accepted an ARC of this book and here is my review.

This is my first Lindsay Detwiler book. A lovely second chance at life read with lots of emotion and great, relatable characters. I adored Avery and her friend Jodie and the crazy friendship she had with her, Lysander and Reed.

I loved the creative theme throughout the story, the way that the freedom goes hand in hand with creativity. A free mind will create the best work and a calmer, happier atmosphere.

Jesse was an interesting cha
SheLove2Read
Apr 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
I'm glad I looked past the cover that really didn't fit this story.

Avery is a newly divorced twenty-something who has left behind a cheating ex-husband and a demanding job in the family accounting practice. She's uprooted herself and left Pittsburgh behind for a new life in a small beach town in Maryland to find herself. Luckily, she finds a roommate who pushes her outside her comfort zone, a job she never would have taken in her old life, and Jesse - the tattoo artist depicted on the awful cove
Konny
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Inked Hearts by Lindsay Detwiler is a full-length stand-alone romance novel.
Meet Avery Johannas, shes 28 year old, divorced from a cheating husband and moved away to start new. Shes scarred on heart and soul and trust doesnt come easily to her.
Now she has a carefree, quirky roommate, a wonderful laid back boss and a tattooed , mystery parlor owner who wants to win her heart.
Avery is torn, she really, really likes Jesse. But can she take the risk of loving again.
I really, really love this book. T
This book starts with a woman's quest to find herself after a divorce leaves her disillusioned by the concept of love and marriage. She moves away from home with nothing more than what she can fit inside her car, away from everything she has ever known and loved. On this quest, she makes some great friends, who help her open herself up to new possibilities, and a new life.
This is a new to me author, and I really enjoyed it. Unlike a lot of books on the market today, this is not a book for someo
A.BookNerd.Bookseller&Bibliophile.Blog
Avery moved to a new state to start again. Not expecting to find love again. Avery and Jesse find a second chance at love with each other after both having their hearts broken by other people. Avery is a strong woman. She doesn't want to be defined by a man. She is brave to defy her parents, leave a nice job, and strike out on her own. She doesn't NEED Jesse but he complements her and you can't get much better than that! Highly recommend this book! I couldn't put it down because I connected with ...more
Nicole
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a cute story :) Jesse and Avery were characters to relate to. Avery is leaving behind a broken marriage and moves to Ocean City to start over. She's a pretty strong character. The story is told completely from her POV. Jesse has his own sad tale to tell. You can really feel the characters' pain and happiness.
The additional characters added a bit of fun to the story. I hope the roommate's story is next. Would like to see her happy. I would read more by this author.
I received a review copy.
Barbara
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh wow! What an amazingly well written tender romance! It’s a story about starting over and taking a chance on life again. The author has written characters that are so down to earth and relatable, that you’ll feel like you’ve known them (or people like them) all your life.

The storyline is exceptional. It’s jam packed with emotion. You’ll go through times of sadness, happiness, fun and soul searching with Avery and Jesse (well all the gang for that matter) and it’s so worth it. I am super excite
Danielle Goodwin
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lindsay Detwiler's "Inked Hearts" is the first tale in the Lines in the Sand series. Avery has been through a rough marriage and a divorce. Jesse has had a rough past too. He's such a hottie! This is a sweet love story, with mostly closed door sexy scenes. You can feel the chemistry between Avery and Jesse - it's palpable. I have been wanting to read this author for a while now and I was not disappointed.
Sara
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 Stars!

Inked Hearts is a sweet story of recovery and finding love.

Avery moves to Ocean City with two goals in mind - reinvent herself and never fall in love again. Then, her meddling roommate and boss introduce her to Jesse and despite her best efforts, Jesse finds his way in.

Avery, Jesse and all the Midsummer Nights gang are great! The story is sweet and clean. Good writing and very little drama make this an easy read.

Fall in love with Jesse and Avery in Inked Hearts!
Jamie Ellis
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this book!!

Really loved this storyline..... I love how Avery finds herself and what she's meant to do and just be. Jesse was hot and so understanding. The storyline just flowed, laugh out loud moments, corky friends, and dangit just an amazing story. I hope we get Jodie's book next. Can you imagine what story we would get with a horror story writer?? EPIC especially with humor thrown in.
This was my first read by this author and definitely won't be the last.
Thanks Jamie Nibarger Ellis
VIP Pre-Order Party 1 1 Jul 27, 2017 10:04AM

Join Lindsay's VIP Fan Club here and get an exclusive excerpt of Remember When for Free: http://bit.ly/rememberwhenexcerpt

An English teacher, an author, and a fan of anything pink and/or glittery, Lindsay's the English teacher cliché; she love cats, reading, Shakespeare, and Poe.

She currently lives in her hometown with her husband, Chad (her junior high sweetheart); their cats, Arya, Amelia, Alice
More about Lindsay Detwiler

Lines in the Sand (2 books)
  • Wild Hearts (Lines in the Sand #2)

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Always
    $13.99 $2.99
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Heat Wave
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Some Kind of Hero (Troubleshooters, #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be
  • Love, Chloe
    $3.99 $1.99
“I know it hasn’t been long, and I know I shouldn’t fall this hard so fast. I’m still scared, Avery. But that kiss yesterday well, it made me think maybe it’s okay to be a little scared. It made me feel like it’s worth it. You’re worth the risk.” 0 likes
“With him, I want to be me but braver. With him, I have more fun. With him, I feel like I’m exactly who I’m supposed to be.” 0 likes