Start by marking “Then She Was Gone” as Want to Read:
Then She Was Gone

Then She Was Gone

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  34,156 Ratings  ·  3,912 Reviews
THEN
She was fifteen, her mother's
golden girl. She had her whole life ahead of her.
And then, in the blink of an eye, Ellie was gone.

NOW
It’s been ten years since Ellie
disappeared, but Laurel has never given up
hope of finding her daughter.
And then one day a charming and charismatic stranger called Floyd walks into a café and sweeps Laurel off her feet.
Before too long s
Published April 18th 2018 by Atria (first published April 17th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Then She Was Gone, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Brittney Irion I completely agree. Also, wouldn’t her sister have brought up the fact that Ellie found her tutor creepy? And surely she would have told her boyfriend…moreI completely agree. Also, wouldn’t her sister have brought up the fact that Ellie found her tutor creepy? And surely she would have told her boyfriend and he would have mentioned it. Also, the fact that the police were convinced she ran away bothered me too. There’s no way she would have done so without telling her boyfriend. But I agree, I also loved this book despite these “plot holes”.(less)

Chelsea Humphrey
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea by: Simon & Schuster Goodreads
Shelves: from-publisher
Apologies for republishing this, but apparently some haters thought it would be funny to report my review and get it taken down because they have nothing better to do.

4.5 STARS

"If she could unwind the timeline, untwist it and roll it back the other way like a ball of wool, she'd see the knots in the yarn, the warning signs. Looking at it backward it was obvious all along. But back then, when she knew nothing about anything, she had not seen it coming. She had walked straight into it with her ey
Emily May
This was a fairly average experience for me. It's a very quick read - I read it in a single day - and it goes down smoothly and easily, but it is so easy to predict everything that will happen. I was always several chapters ahead of the characters and it sapped a lot of tension out of the story.

I can see why, with a better plot, Jewell is a great writer. The relationships and characters were fleshed out and interesting. Laurel’s pain over her missing daughter is palpable and realistic. The loss
Holly  B
Edgy, Dark and Addictive

This turned out to be quite a stunner. I’ve read lots of psychological thrillers and this one caught me off guard. Much more than your typical missing daughter plot. Scattered with hints of some shocking revelations to come.

This is my fourth Lisa Jewell novel and I’m a huge fan. I love her writing style and how she keeps me totally absorbed in the story line. The more I read, the more invested I became and started to care about some of the key characters. Told in multiple
James
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read a Lisa Jewell novel last year and connected immediately with her writing style, tone, and voice. When Then She Was Gone showed up on NetGalley last month, I immediately requested it and added it to my reading queue for April. I really find myself enamored with Jewell's characters, plots, and settings, so much that I've added ten of her other books to my TBR and hope to read a few more later this year.

Domestic drama is the best sub-genre to describe this book. A 15-year-old girl goes missi
Julie
Then She Was Gone by Lisa Jewell is a 2018 Atria Books publication.

Well, this was certainly different!

Missing persons tropes are common in mysteries and thrillers, and the theme has been written and explored in many predictable ways, but also in many clever, even shocking ways. But, no matter how it is presented, it is a scenario that never fails to draw me in. But, I must say, this novel puts an entirely new and fresh spin on the missing persons mystery-

The story begins like so many others-

El
Debra
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley

Ellie Mack was 15 years old when she went missing. She was the youngest of three children who left the house one day to go to the library and never returned. Her Mother, Laurel Mack, fell apart after her daughter's disappearance, as most parents would. Her daughter's disappearance forever altered her life. Her marriage fell apart, her other daughter, Hanna became distant and withdrawn from her Mother,her son moved away. Throughout it all she never gave up hope on finding her daughter. W
Meredith
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Gripping psychological thriller about the disappearance of 15-year-old Ellie Mack. Then She was Gone is not about what happened to Ellie, it’s more about the how and the why she disappeared, as well as the after-effects of her disappearance on her family.

One morning, Ellie Mack heads to the library. At 10:43 am, she was never to be seen again. The police’s investigation never turned up any clues to what happened to her, but believe she ran away. Her mother, Laurel, believes otherwise. After 1
Diane S ☔
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-read
Ellie was fifteen eager to take her exams. Now that she had been tutored in math she was sure she would do well. On her way to the library one evening, she disappears. Her disappearance takes a huge toll on the family, a family that breaks apart as many families in this type of situations often do. Now ten years later, Laurel is willing to take a shot at having a life and love again a series of events will send her reeling. Would she finally find out what happened to her daughter?

A very suspense
Elyse
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Totally enjoyable .....
As a couple of friends said - (Diane & Esil) - they were pretty sure ‘what’ happened to Ellie who had gone missing early in their reading — me too - but I didn’t know ‘why’.
All I knew was that Ellie was a bright girl - an excellent student - and that her mother - Laurel had a ‘special’ love for her ( in ways she definitely didn’t her other two children) —

Much about this story felt real.

While on the way to the library— a child is never to be seen again. It gives me c
Susanne Strong
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.25 Stars (rounded down)

Spellbinding and Completely Irresistible.

Ellie Mack went missing 10 years ago. Her mother, Laurel has never given up hope of finding her. Ellie was fifteen years old, full of life. The world was, in fact, her oyster. No one knew what happened to Ellie. The police have never found a trace of her. My interest was piqued from the very beginning. My breath caught in my throat - nerves jangled.

Now, Laurel Mack’s life is very different: her marriage fell apart years ago and
Matthew
Missing with a twist - this is quite a popular book genre right now. I feel like saying it has a "twist" is no longer a spoiler. It reminds me of when M. Night Shamalan first made movies and everyone was surprised by the shocking twist. Now, when you see one, you are sitting there not wondering if there will be a twist, but when.

So, yes, Gone Girl-ers, this is another book for you!

Now, this doesn't tend to be a favorite genre of mine. Because of this, it has to be creative and well written to k
Kaceey - Traveling Sister
4.5*

Brilliant! I completely lost myself in this book from beginning to end!

Laurel is doing her best to move on with her life. Her teenage daughter went missing years ago, triggering an avalanche of misfortune. The family splintered. Laurel and Paul divorcing. And now, their two remaining children are leaving home at the first chance they get - anxious to live their own lives, away from the oppressive tension within their home.

When laurel meets Floyd she’s quickly swept off her feet. She’s fina
Tucker
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another winner from Lisa Jewell!

Laurel Mack’s smart and beautiful teenage daughter Ellie disappeared 10 years ago. Now divorced and distant from her other two children, Laurel is attempting to move on and begins dating a handsome and kind man. Then unusual coincidences related to Laurel’s new boyfriend and also to Ellie begin occurring and things start to get unsettling for Laurel. I don’t want to say more because part of the excitement of the book is discovering how the various plot lines inter
Norma * Traveling Sister
THEN SHE WAS GONE by LISA JEWELL is a breathtaking, thrilling, unputdownable, and suspenseful psychological thriller novel that had me totally engrossed and interested right from the very first page. I was so intrigued in finding out what happened to Ellie Mack that I was racing through those pages as fast as I could!

LISA JEWELL delivers a well-written story here with flawed, believable, and compelling characters that was told in alternating points of view and short chapters to make this a quic
Dorie
This is the third Lisa Jewell thriller that I have read and she has penned another winner! After finishing this book I really had to wait a few days to sort of “SETTLE ME DOWN” as this mystery touched some very delicate feelings in me, more so than her first two books. Call me a snob but in my experience with thrillers, it has been hard to find many with the combination of great writing, past and present POV’s that flow seamlessly together, and create emotions that well up inside of you and real ...more
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: She had no one to call, no one to ask 'Have you seen Hanna? Do you know where she is?' Her life simply didn't work like that. There were no connections anywhere. Just little islands of life dotted here and there.

It was possible, she thought, that Hanna had met a man, but unlikely. Hannah hadn't had a boyfriend, not one, ever. Someone once mooted the theory that Hanna felt too guilty to have a boyfriend because her little sister would never have one. The same theory could also be applie
Theresa Alan
Apr 07, 2018 rated it liked it
This novel is creepy—in a good way. Fifteen-year-old Ellie disappears on her way to the library one day. Ultimately, since police can’t find anything, they suspect she’s a runaway despite the fact she had a boyfriend she loved and was looking forward to taking the exams she’d been studying hard for.

When we meet up with her mother Laurel ten years later, Laurel’s relationships with her other daughter, her son, and her now-ex-husband have all suffered greatly because they’d never found a body or a
Lindsay - Traveling Sister
4 stars! This was a spine-tingling and addictive story!

This novel follows Laurel whose teenage daughter, Ellie, went missing ten years ago. Laurel has been battling her grief since the day Ellie disappeared with the hope that she may one day come home. After Ellie’s disappearance, being swallowed up in her sadness and grief, Laurel’s marriage falls apart and she loses her connection with her two other children.

The story is narrated by various characters in Laurel’s life through a Now and Then pe
Luffy
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Then She Was Gone is a very mild title compared to the volcanic torment and angst behind the cover. Teenage daughter Ellie goes missing and blah blah blah...except that it's not so clear cut or cliched.

The action takes place in multiple points of view, and it's a treat to be fed factoid after factoid to try and make sense. It's deliciously excruciating how the info builds up to shape up the final solution.

Lisa Jewell is part of the latest generation of writers. The latter have bypassed Chaucer,
Linda
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
"People try and make out there's a greater purpose, a secret meaning, that it all means something. And it doesn't."

Loss is like that. There's no justifying it. There are no words of wisdom that can ever buffer the pain. It becomes a life sentence worn like the weight of a sack cloth far into eternity and beyond.

Laurel Mack is a grieving mother. Period. Her beautiful daughter, Ellie, disappeared one day on her way to her weekly lesson with her math tutor. There is no evidence, no clues, no remnan
Jen
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This story got me out of my rut... knock on wood.

A daughter, Ellie Mack, has been missing only to be found 10 years later.
Her mother, Laurel, whom now has closure, is trying to move on with her life; fix the relationships that have suffered during her grieving.
She meets a man, with a child, who very much reminds her of her once precious one. As the story unfolds, the perspective is told by Ellie and the mystery of her disappearance.
Jewell delivers another fast paced whodunnit with some interesti
Rebecca Carter
Over the past few years there seems to have been a huge saturation in the market of psychological mystery type thrillers. Or maybe that's just me thinking this, simply because I've bought or requested via
NetGalley, many books of this type. Then She Was Gone, is another one to add to this genre.

There's nothing much I can add really, the description is easily available to read. The narrative goes back and forth between the present day and the past, and is told from the perspective of four differen
Brenda - Traveling Sister
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Norma and I were lost in the dark and light earthy lush coulee with five of our Traveling Sisters reading Then She Was Gone. We all really enjoyed it and it lead to a great discussion amongst us.

We all were immediately drawn into this intriguing story right from start to the rewarding and very satisfying ending that we all loved.

We all agreed Lisa Jewell brilliantly creates a well-written and perfectly paced story to create a good, intriguing suspenseful story. Just at the right time, she reve
Malia
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-suspense
As a big fan of Lisa Jewell, I was excited to hear about Then She Was Gone, which follows her turn to a rather darker spin she has been successfully using in her past few books. The story follows Laurel Mack, though it is really told from multiple POVs (of which I tend to be a big fan). Her teenage daughter went missing ten years ago, and when she meets a man, Floyd, whose nine-year-old daughter is the image of Laurel's missing child, Ellie, and she understandably cannot let the mystery go. Laur ...more
Carrie
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Then She Was Gone by Lisa Jewell is a psychological thriller that weaves a deliciously tangled web from the opening pages until the very end. The story is told in parts and changes the point of view between various characters along the way going between the past and the present day.

Laurel Mack had the perfect family with her husband and three beautiful children until one day when her youngest daughter Ellie didn’t come home. An overachiever Ellie was not the type of daughter to run away but that
Whoa! This book may have started out a bit slow but like all good roller coasters of the psychological thriller variety, it sky rocketed me into a mysterious family drama that ended up giving me whiplash with as many surprising revelations it held around every twist and turn. I hope with all my heart this situation is far fetched because I couldn't cope if I thought the main jaw-drop of this book could actually happen. Then She Was Gone is a crazy train of fairly unlikable characters in my opini ...more
Pauline
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it

Then She Was Gone by Lisa Jewell is a psychological thriller. A young girl Ellie goes missing one day on her way to the library and her mother Laurel is frantic with worry.
Ten years later Laurel who is no longer with her husband meets a man Floyd in a coffee shop and they strike up a friendship. When Laurel meets Loyd's nine year old daughter she is taken aback at the strikingly resemblance she has to her missing daughter. I really enjoyed this book, well worth a read.
Mackey St
Then She Was Gone by Lisa Jewell is a taut, well written domestic noir tale.

In typical Jewell fashion, the author grabbed my attention from the first page and did not let go until I was finished. That is not to say that this a “thriller” or filled with plot twisting “gotcha” moments; that simply isn’t Jewell’s style. Rather, this is a perfectly told story of domestic noir.
A family is torn apart by the disappearance of their daughter. No one in the family is unscathed by the loss and subsequent
Esil
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 high stars

I find that Lisa Jewell’s books are always a cut above the spate of books with “Gone”, “Girl” and “Lies” in their titles. For one, she can really write. And also her main characters are not breathless naive young woman, but usually middle aged women or men with recognizable emotions. I’ve now read four of her books, and Then She Was Gone is one of my favourites.

The story focuses on the effects of the disappearance of Laurel’s daughter, Ellie. The story is told in two timelines and fr
Mandy
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I've read other books by this author and really enjoyed them so I was pretty sure going in that I'd like it.
This book is about Laurel Mack, who's daughter has been missing for years but has never been able to move forward in her life. It's also about her family and what Ellie's disappearance has meant for them.
When Laurel meets Floyd she begins to fall in love with him. Then she meets his daughter Poppy.
This author just writes so well, I think. Her characters are always so r
Different ending 5 147 Aug 02, 2018 01:06AM
Plot holes 3 120 Jul 14, 2018 01:32AM
Lisa was born in London in 1968. Her mother was a secretary and her father was a textile agent and she was brought up in the northernmost reaches of London with her two younger sisters. She was educated at a Catholic girls’ Grammar school in Finchley. After leaving school at sixteen she spent two years at Barnet College doing an arts foundation course and then two years at Epsom School of Art & ...more
More about Lisa Jewell

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Wrong Man
    $9.49 $1.99
  • What You Don't Know
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The River Is Dark (Liam Dempsey, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • When They Come for You (Harper McDaniel #1)
  • Murder at Bray Manor : a cozy historical mystery
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Every Single Secret
  • Name of the Devil: A Jessica Blackwood Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Night Crew (Sean Drummond, #7)
  • The Music of the Deep
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adventuress (Lady Emily, #10)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer Children (The Collector, #3)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Good Twin
    $5.99 $2.99
  • An Innocent Client (Joe Dillard, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Speed of Sound (Speed of Sound Thrillers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Bones (Shetland Island, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Bourne Initiative (Jason Bourne, #14)
  • The Good Neighbor
  • Under an English Heaven: An Ellie Kent Mystery
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Swansong (DI Nick Dixon #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Cold Day For Murder (Kate Shugak #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Have His Carcase (Lord Peter Wimsey #8)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • My Brother Michael
  • Casino: Love and Honor in Las Vegas
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Mr. Timothy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
  • The Memory Closet
  • What Lies Below
  • Silent Child
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Pleasantville
    $12.49 $1.99
  • Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Mother
    $2.99 $1.49
“When I read a book it feels like real life and when I put the book down it's like I go back into the dream.” 14 likes
“The blame game could be exhausting sometimes. The blame game could make you lose your mind . . . all the infinitesimal outcomes, each path breaking up into a million other paths every time you heedlessly chose one, taking you on a journey that you’d never find your way back from.” 3 likes