Start by marking “UnCommonly Good” as Want to Read:
UnCommonly Good

UnCommonly Good

UnCommonly Good presents 11 stories from some of the most talented Speculative Fiction and Magical Realism authors around. These stories have been previously published in other UnCommon Anthologies but are now available to you in one UnCommonly Good collection.

Check it out at this special edition at an amazing price and then dive into the other UnCommon Anthologies: UnCo
Published April 3rd 2017 by Fighting Monkey Press

To ask other readers questions about UnCommonly Good, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about UnCommonly Good

Start your review of UnCommonly Good
Meenaz Lodhi
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This anthology is superb! The short stories had me fascinated from the beginning. They reminded me so much of the tv series when I was younger, Twilight Zone, Outer Limits or Tales from the Crypt, my favorites. Sci fy, horror, and even moral themes, with great insight. Stories that left me totally fascinated. Some endings were hard or gruesome, but they just felt right to me; I mean, if I was in their skin...that's how well written they are! I enjoyed reading all of them! Thank you, P.K.Tyler, f ...more
Lorena
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you enjoy dark speculative fiction, this is a great collection. The stories are original, surprising, and well-written and I enjoyed the variety of settings, styles, and themes. The only thing that kept this from being a 5 for me is that I generally don't care for horror, and several of these stories were really too dark and violent for my taste.

My personal favorites were Jonathan Shipley's humorous "Trouble Signs," Rhoads Brazos's touching and numinous "The Hanging Gardens of Brooklyn," and
Kristine
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a great group of stories! I usually read short stories on my dinner breaks so I don't get caught up in a dramatic scene when the break is over. There were a few here that I did go back a little late!
I enjoy a quietly creepy horror story; they are difficult to write effectively , so I appreciate the ones that work. Right of the bat, The Machine Needs Fuel works. Even though I knew where the story was going...I still had to know. SKIN was the other one that had me shivering in the sunlig
Aurora
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An eclectic collection of SF/horror stories that brought back memories of the Weird Tales and Tales from the Cryptkeeper comic books I used to read when I went to visit an older cousin during my childhood. The book includes stories about a brain eater, a teenager who can resculpt bodies, a mother-in-law with the power of psychic suggestion, a precog and a whole collection of others. The stories range from comical to sweet to down right creepy but each, in it's own way, has something to offer a f ...more
Amanda H.
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was given a free copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Below are my thoughts on each story, which I wrote down after I’d read each one.

These stories have a little bit of everything for everyone, from magic realism to fantasy to horror and science fiction, and you’re sure to find at least one, if not more, stories to enjoy reading here.

The Machine Needs Fuel by Joriah Wood

A creepy little story about nine-year-old Lydia whose fatigue leads to her father, Parker, taking her to
Norma
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
"In love with being alive, instead of alive to be in love."
There have been a number of excellent anthologies published recently and this one highlights short stories by eleven very talented authors - twelve if the introductory tale, The Escape by Samuel Peralta, is included: for this reader, one of the most powerful In the book. All are beautifully written and emotionally involving from the sad but gruesome, The Machine Needs Fuel, and Skin, to the poignant beauty of Daeda!us' Daughter, and the
Cathy
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Uncommonly Good
Various Authors

Uncommonly Good is a collection of short stories written by some very talented writers. The stories include sci-fi, fantasy and horror. I thoroughly enjoyed these unusual stories. If you think you know what the story is all about, think again. The twists and turns and unexpected themes can leave you laughing, frightened or wondering, but always yearning for more. And that can be satisfied. There are other series of Uncommonly Good to grab. If you love these genres,
Elissa
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This anthology of short stories begins with a Foreword by Samuel Peralta, set in the midst of the Manila riots of 1971-2, in which his own short story explains his love thereof. Loosely joined under the mantles of "science fiction" and "fantasy," these stories contain intensely human nuggets of insight into of the strange workings of the mind. And horror. I found myself fully engaged in each story, each one different from the last and asking my complete attention to the delicate details which d ...more
Christinaraven
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love anthologies and this one did not disappoint. The best way to try out some new authors. The blurb calls them a mix of Speculative Fiction and Magical Realism and they are right. All of them were well written and a few had a twist or two did not see coming. All caught my attention and had to read them. Really liked that they were all a bit different from each other, the best kind of anthology.
Susan
May 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Overall this set gets 3 stars. If you love reading unusual stories this is a set you have to get! Add in some diverse writers (PK Tyler and Samuel Perata to name two) and it gets even better. The variety of authors and storylines will keep you riveted for hours. I even found a couple of new authors (new to me anyways) that I want to read more from. There are a variety of story genres, but all are short quick reads.
Jackie Berkel
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Seriously great.

It was like a combination Alfred Hitchcock and Outer Limits. Thought provoking worlds and stories, each unique. But every reality needs a Kizzy for sure.
All stories are must read gems. Going back to research each author I didn't know for no doubt great stories.
Must read.
Karen
I am a huge fan of anthologies and this book was a delight to read.My favorites were the Forward by Samuel Peralta who shares a frightening childhood memory.The Enemy Beyond The Walls by Daniel Arthur Smith was a unique and engaging story.11.11 by Tausha Johnson was my favorite and made me want to read more by this author.I received a copy of this book from the authors to voluntarily review.
Jessica West
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Hilary Kim Morden
Jun 29, 2019
Sean Gorley
Mar 08, 2018
ASLI EREN
Jun 21, 2018
David Caldwell
I received a free copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

This is a collection of eleven short stories ny different authors. The stories range from horror to fantasy to sci-fi. The collection has a nice feature at the beginning. It lists a summary of each story (the summaries are also given at the start of each story as well). This was nice since the stories didn't share a theme.

These stories reminded me of a short story class I took in college. Just like a lot of those stories
Tanya Stone
May 08, 2017
Kay Smillie
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An excellent and well chosen selection of short stories taken from the 'UnCommon' series of anthologies, which currently stands at four. (UnCommon Bodies, UnCommon Origins, UnCommon Minds, and UnCommon Lands.)

These are the crème de la crème as Miss Jean Brodie would say. Each one a wee corker in their own right. Entertaining, thoughtful, riveting, insightful. Having said that, you can dip into ANY of the UnCommon anthologies and find a fantastic tale.

Do not hesitate to buy this book. I highly re
JMR
Oct 20, 2017
patricia merrill
Jun 05, 2017
Daniel
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Alice Arnold
Kathy Heare Watts
Apr 20, 2017

• At the Helm, Volume 1
  • UnCommon Origins: A Collection of Gods, Monsters, Nature, and Science
  • The Long List Anthology Volume 3: More Stories From the Hugo Award Nomination List (The Long List Anthology Series)
  • Daunting Deviations
  • Synchronic: 13 Tales of Time Travel
  • The Reapers are the Angels (Reapers, #1)
  • After the Roads: Sidney’s Way, Volume 1 (Five Roads to Texas, #2)
  • The Year's Top Robot and AI Stories
  • Shorting the Undead and Other Horrors: A Menagerie of Macabre Minifiction
  • The Year's Top Ten Tales of Science Fiction 2
  • Indexing (Indexing, #1)
  • The Long List Anthology: More Stories from the Hugo Awards Nomination List
  • Reflections (Indexing, #2)
  • Bite-Sized Offerings: Tales & Legends of the Zombie Apocalypse
  • Resist: Tales from a Future Worth Fighting Against
  • Kingdom of Players (GAMELAND, #6)
  • Prometheus Wept (GAMELAND, #5)
  • The Book of Etta (The Road to Nowhere #2)
Jess is currently pursuing a state of self-induced psychosis (also known as writing).