Start by marking “When They Came (When They Came #1)” as Want to Read:
When They Came (When They Came #1)

When They Came

(When They Came #1)

I was never afraid of monsters—at least, not until They came: the visitors from outer space.

Now They're in our skies, on our streets, always watching, forever waiting.

At seventeen, I'm just about to graduate from the Juvenile Education System and declare my career of choice. The Midnight Guard—who protect our community from the vicious things that lie outside our walls—c
Published April 3rd 2017 by Amazon Digital Services

To ask other readers questions about When They Came, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When They Came

Bex (Beckie Bookworm)
WhentheyCame
⭐⭐⭐⭐STARS
REVIEW COPY
Release Date-3/4/2017

When They Came (When They Came #1) by Kody Boye was a really enjoyable read. An incredibly fast-paced YA Sci-Fi/Dystopian novel that kept me interested from start to finish.
The first book in a series; this set the stage brilliantly, drawing me into this imaginative future dystopian landscape and hooking my interest instantly.
The world building here was fantastic and easily comprehended.
"When they Come" starts off in the fictional stronghold of Fort Hope;
Giselle
Mar 20, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: open-to-requests
Do you like alien invasion/dystopian YA? You can request a review copy of this one here: [closed - other review opportunities found here]
Meghan
Jul 06, 2017 rated it liked it
3 1/2 - review to come
Doug Goodman
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really liked the setup to this story. As the book starts, it draws you in like some of the best YA fiction can. The main character, Ana Mia, is caught in this post-apocalyptic world where aliens have harvested humans, and now civilization is reduced to small pockets in forts and cities. Because of the mix of YA and Texas post-apocalypse, When They Came sits in this perfect nook between Hunger Games and Justin Cronin. This made for an unexpected, fascinating read. It is to the author's credit t ...more
Tiffany
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Holy crap! I loved this so much in all of its insanely creepy glory.

"Found the girl."

I need the sequel sooner rather than later.
Brian
May 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-by-me
Would you sit on a wall all night, in complete silence, guarding your community from a aliens who are controlled by other aliens? And all the while you are on the wall, guarding your life and those you love, you must observe complete silence and keep your gun at the ready. What if those same aliens "harvested" your father and friends? Damn, I don't know if I could.

I enjoyed this book. The idea of aliens harvesting humans may not be new but the way this author presents this story is fresh and ali
Tanya
Sep 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned-books, r2r
When They Came is a clean dystopian, young adult novel set in the future after aliens have invaded Earth. The main character, Ana Maria Sofia Barrios, chooses to join The Midnight Guard like her older sister so she can help protect her community.
The book doesn't have any sex or swearing in it, so it's fine for teens of all ages. If a character swears it's written as "I swore from the pain." or something instead of actual swear words. Ana and her family are very close, which I liked. Her sister
Lelia Taylor
I'm a pushover for science fiction of the alien invasion variety and I have equal fondness for the truly serious kind and high camp. When They Came falls somewhere in the middle and has both attractive elements as well as some that made me lift an eyebrow.

Ana Mia appealed to me quite a lot, as did her sister and mother, and I empathized with Ana's desire to do something honorable with her life while being pretty unsure of herself. That lack of confidence rang true for a teenager but especially f
Jessica Rachow
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
*I received this book as part of a blog tour. All opinions are my own.*

I love sci-fi, when it is done well. When They Came impressed me, and I found myself wishing I had the second book so I could continue in the story.

The world building is strong. I love the idea of Fort Hope. An apartment complex that has been walled up, and protected by the Midnight Guard. I also enjoyed the fact that the teens who had come of age had a choice in whether they wanted to serve on the Guard or chose a non-combat
Gypsy Madden
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love the post-apocalypse genre and the places it takes me. When They Came imagines the world post-alien invasion, reminiscent of the TV show Falling Skies. Ana Mia’s life within Fort Hope reminded me of Divergent with the people segregated by their chosen occupations. And just like Tris, Ana Mia turns her back on her mother’s occupation in the kitchens at the fort to join the very Dauntless-like Midnight Guard. Dressed in Dauntless black and kitted out with the same amount of weaponry, she tak ...more
Anie
Jun 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Received from Xpresso Book Tours

Dystopia is one of my favourite genre all across, so I had very high expectation going into the book. For me to fully enjoyed the story, it has to have certain element of realness to it, that *it-could-really-happen* vibe. And When They Came certainly has that.

Few years ago They came. But They didn’t come peacefully. It’s was more like the worse nightmare coming true. First they sent creatures similar to coyotes, that look around for people and then harvesters com
Nancy (The Avid Reader)
It has been six years since the aliens invaded Earth and started harvesting people and taking them up to their ship to do who knows what to them. Ana Mia’s father was taken on the first night They came. Ana Mia is luckier than most as she is not alone she still has her mother and sister, Xiomara where most do not.

Ana Mia is graduating and wants to join The Midnight Guard like her sister to stand guard on the wall to keep the aliens from coming inside the walls of Fort Hope.

When the wall is bre
Jewell Moreno
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was fun. Story follows Ana Mia a young girl who witnessed the Alien invasion six years ago that changed the world, and took her father. Refuged in a the safe haven of Fort Hope in Texas, she soon takes the job of soldier protecting the community from the ongoing invasion. While on an incursion seeking supplies for the upcoming winter, she is attacked and bitten by one of the Aliens. She survives but not without consequences no one expected. I liked that there are several different types of ...more
Cheryl
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Human survival

A very nice read and I totally enjoyed it ! Good science fiction . Nice pace and exciting to read ! Humans verses the aliens , a small group survives . One lone girl has a connection to Them . The only possible way for them to survive is to let her talk to them . After many losses and trials , two girls fight to maintain a small life .. the next book should be just as exciting to find out what happens . Between the harvesters ,coyotes and a handful of humans .
Am very pleased with
Jeanette
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Aliens...

Science fiction is really not my cup of tea. This book looked interesting so I thought I would try. Once I read the first page, I didn't want to stop reading.
Aliens are here. The coyote like beasts on the ground & the harvesters in their space ship. The coyote beasts find the people while the space ship beams them up.
This author has a really good storyline and developed his characters well.
Would recommend to anyone who wants to read a good book!
I've already downloaded book2...😉
Julie Grimm
Nov 05, 2018 rated it liked it
The story was ok. The author capitalized the word "They" when describing the coyotes.
It made me pause in the middle of the sentences every time. Irritating and not very good for a smooth flowing story. If you don't like a series that leaves you hanging after the first book, this is not for you.
Although I would like to know what happens next, I don't plan to read the next one.
Kimberly C. Winslow
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Unique and riveting!

4 stars because it was a but vague and started morphing into more extraterrestrials than expected. I liked how things were changing so you always have that sense of impending doom!
Cheryl
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Avoid if you don't like cliffhangers

I enjoyed the book and had trouble putting it down until the non-ending. I hate cliffhangers and avoid them if I am aware that they are. It's a good story and well written so if cliffhangers don't bother you then I recommend it.
Michele Evans
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesome Alien Story!!

Loved this book from the start. It has a quick pace and is hard to put down. Aliens invaded Earth and the few survivors try to evade them while learning more about what they want with us.
Treva Turner
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What I thought about this book.

I have it 5 stars because it grabbed you from the start
I love science fiction so I'd recommend this book to all fans of Sufi.
H
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Exciting and frightening tale of alien invasion.

Could hardly put it down. If you enjoy sci-fi, I highly recommend this book one of the series. I can't wait to start the next book.
Sam
Feb 16, 2019 rated it liked it
I really liked this book to start with but unfortunately found I was loosing interest in the last part! It has not put me off reading more by the same writer though!
Claudia
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished
I could not put this book down, loved the story line and the characters. Have to get part 2 now!!
Miriam Michalak
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Meh
Michele Thompson
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good story

This was a good story. It is different than what I usually read, but I liked it. I recommend this book.
Holly Ann
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kody Boye is an exceptional storyteller who knows how to make the reader alternately cry and shudder in horror.

In When They Came, Boye has created a world that is devastated by an alien invasion. The survivors have to be careful, because at any moment they may be harvested by big ships and taken off - never to be seen again. While that may sound like a regular alien invasion story, his aliens are far from it. The ground troops are terrifying. They more closely resemble werewolves than the typic
Steph
Aug 20, 2018
Laurie
Mar 13, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »
  • The Prince's Consort (Bred for Love, #1)
  • Wireless
  • The Starving Years
  • Stasis (Ennek, #1)
  • Far from Home
  • The Shadow Files: A Limited Edition Collection of Supernatural Suspense Novels
  • Blue Skies
  • Dream Snatcher (City of Crows #0.5)
  • Brown-Eyed Devil (Brown-Eyed Devil #1)
  • Starlight (Pact Arcanum, #4)
  • Chalk Butterfly The Complete Trilogy (Chalk Butterfly, #1-3)
  • On the Auction Block (Slave of the Aristocracy, #1)
  • Desert World Allegiances (Desert World, #1)
  • Duce (World's End #1)
  • Fearless Leader (Juxtapose City #1)
  • Psi Hunter (Guardians of the Pattern, #1)
  • Coming in Hot: Rescue Me: A Paranormal & Contemporary Romance Collection
  • Dead Weight
Born and raised in Southeastern Idaho, Kody Boye began his writing career at fourteen with the publication of his story [A] Prom Queen’s Revenge in the Yellow Mama Webzine.

After being published nearly three-dozen times in various markets, he went independent at eighteen and currently writes horror and dark fantasy fiction.

He is the author of the young-adult science-fiction series When They Came, T

When They Came (3 books)
  • When They Saw (When They Came #2)
  • When They Fell (When They Came #3)