Start by marking “The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes(Annotated): crime drama” as Want to Read:
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes(Annotated): crime drama

Read Book* *Different edition

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes(Annotated): crime drama

(Sherlock Holmes #3)

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  218,706 ratings  ·  5,972 reviews
This work is available for countries where copyright is Life+70 and in the USA.

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes is a collection of twelve stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, featuring his famous detective and illustrated by Sidney Paget.

These are the first of the Sherlock Holmes short stories, originally published as single stories in the Strand Magazine from July 1891
Published September 19th 2016 by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (first published October 1892)

To ask other readers questions about The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes(Annotated), please sign up.
Tom Owens The Novellas (Study of Scarlet and Sign of Four) are mentioned in passing by Watson/Holmes as being "previous cases" but no more than that. If you…moreThe Novellas (Study of Scarlet and Sign of Four) are mentioned in passing by Watson/Holmes as being "previous cases" but no more than that. If you started from here you wouldn't miss anything at all. Enjoy!(less)

·  218,706 ratings  ·  5,972 reviews

Jayson
(A) 85% | Extraordinary
Notes: It finds an ideal medium in chapter-length tales: a rare short story collection with no misses, only hits and better hits.
Robin Hobb
Feb 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nothing compares to the original. If you really want to know Holmes and Watson, this is what you read. The characterization and pacing is, for me, delightful. The insights into a London of trains and mail more than once a day, the manners of the time, the dialogue . . . this is a feast.

Very honestly speaking, none of the movie or television adaptations have ever given me the sensation of 'being there' at Baker Street, with Holmes and Watson, that I get from the original stories.

Read them. You ow
Trevor
Dec 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature, mystery
I’ve been listening to Sherlock Holmes stories in the car and think I’m going to go through and listen to all of them now. I’ve started with The Adventures and have enjoyed it immensely.

There must have been any number of psychological studies performed on Mr Holmes. There is, of course, that wonderful line by Borges in his lectures on Verse in which he says that he believes in the Character of Sherlock Holmes without actually believing in any of the stories in which that character appears. That
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
3.75 stars, rounding up because Sherlock + classics!

description

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, published in 1892, and available for free online reading or downloading here on Project Gutenberg (or many other places), is a collection of twelve Sherlock Holmes short stories. Doyle's formula for his Sherlock stories gets a little bit worn and visible after you read several of them back to back. But there are some jewels in this collection, and they all have something to offer the interested reader, even if
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #3), Arthur Conan Doyle
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes is a collection of twelve short stories by Arthur Conan Doyle, featuring his fictional detective Sherlock Holmes. It was first published on 14 October 1892; the individual stories had been serialised in The Strand Magazine between July 1891 and June 1892. The stories are not in chronological order, and the only characters common to all twelve are Holmes and Dr. Watson. The stories are re
Fabian {Councillor}
As a rule, the more bizarre a thing is, the less mysterious it proves to be. It is your commonplace, featureless crimes which are really puzzling, just as a commonplace face is the most difficult to identify.

Who doesn't know Sherlock Holmes these days? Even if not everyone might be familiar with the original version invented by Arthur Conan Doyle, Mr. Holmes has become such a legend in his own right, a development fed and supported by numerous stage, screen and radio adaptions, that it is ne
Aishu Rehman
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes is a collection of twelve short stories by Arthur Conan Doyle, featuring his fictional detective Sherlock Holmes. It was first published on 14 October 1892. Follow the brilliant Sherlock Holmes and his devoted assistant, Dr. Watson — as they investigate a dozen of their best-known cases. Featured stories in this collection include several of the author's personal favorites: "A Scandal in Bohemia" — in which a king is blackmailed by a former lover and Holmes matc ...more
Namratha
To have a slight measure of the pleasant chills that race up and down your spine when you delve into a meaty Holmes mystery, do read the introduction passage by Mark Gatiss (co-creator of BBC Entertainment’s Sherlock). Amidst a host of admirable emotions, Gatiss’ one nostalgic paragraph captured my fancy.

It goes thusly,
“I’d never read any of the original stories until one fateful Saturday when, recovering from German measles, I was given a treat : a trip to WH Smith, and the purchase of any
Adrian
This was a re-read , (I'm guessing for the 4th or 5th time ) and it was as fabulous as ever.

It comprises 10 short stories :-
A scandal in Bohemia --
A case of identity --
The Boscombe Valley mystery --
The five orange pips --
The adventure of the blue carbuncle --
The adventure of the speckled band
The adventure of the engineer's thumb
The adventure of the noble bachelor
The adventure of the beryl coronet
The adventure of the copper beeches

These stories are all well written, with wonderful c
Luís C.
Read for the second time

In sixty investigations, narrated by Dr. Watson, his eminent memorialist, Sherlock Holmes gave only twenty-five guilty to justice.
Nine others had escaped the just punishment that awaited them after the riddle's resolution of the enigma.
Eleven investigations had the result only of revealing a supposed crime or a pure fantasy having no relation of gravity with that supposed.
At the end of the remaining fifteen investigations, Sherlock Holmes, substituting himself for justice
Apatt
Aug 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After “reading” lengthy audiobooks like Vanity Fair I just wanted to read/listen-to something short. Then I saw the movie The Imitation Game (highly recommended) and I thought “Of course! Sherlock!”

I suspect reviewing an anthology by listing all the stories and commenting on each of them is probably inelegant and amateurish, but I never said I was a pro. So the game is afoot! Let the jollification begin:

A Scandal in Bohemia - Irene Adler is not Holmes' girlfriend OK? Stop shipping "Sherene" al
Stephanie Anze
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, favorites
"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

Sherlock Holmes is a detective consulted upon by royalty and commoners alike. Where crime is concerned, Sherlock Holmes is the key. Relying on minute information Mr. Holmes is able to solve cases that Scotland Yard cannot. Wether a murder or a disapperance, a grand mansion or the streets of London Mr. Holmes is on the case. With his trusted partner and friend Dr. John Watson by his side, Mr. Holmes takes crime by storm.

My interest for Britis
Paul Bryant
Sherlock Holmes is one of the great characters of literature - who can resist the aloof arrogance and limitless self-satisfaction which stems from that intellectual superiority with which he squishes all the dodgy baronets and rum foreign coves that turn up in the mysteries presented to him by the clients who never fail, when recounting their tangled tales, to speak in perfect paragraphs full of precisely recollected speech in a style exactly like a Conan Doyle story? I love the love story betwe ...more
Teresa
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s been fun zipping through one of these stories each night for the past twelve nights. I’ve even felt rather clever after guessing correctly on a few of the outcomes—even without counting “The Speckled Band”, a story I remember very well from grammar school. I’m not sure why I remember it after such a long time, except for it being one of several short stories we read that year that opened up a new world for me, thanks to a favorite English teacher. (Other stories I remember from then were by ...more
Jan-Maat
Fun. The crimes in this book are more along the lines of puzzles to work out rather than realistic depictions of crime in late Victorian- early Edwardian England. Contrived, but enjoyable.

My favourite moment, I am not positive it is in this collection, is when Holmes and Watson are on a train steaming through the countryside and Watson makes an observation about the peaceful looking pretty cottages for which Holmes rebukes him 'no one knows what dark crimes are committed behind those doors' - re
Bionic Jean
Here are my reviews of individual stories:

Link to review of the first story, A Scandal in Bohemia

Link to review of the second story, The Red-Headed League

Link to another one, The Adventure of the Speckled Band
James
Jul 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic Sherlock Holmes, Arthur Conan Doyle at his finest.

If you've read and enjoyed any books in the Sherlock Holmes series - then read them all, they are all consistently great. Sherlock Holmes must be one of the greatest literary characters ever created and the stories are so very well written.

Intriguing, compelling, intelligent, exciting, page-turning fun of the highest order.
russell barnes
Aug 23, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, crime
It's the end of the world and Watson and Holmes, on the cusp of having their brilliant lives snuffed out by the impending doom decide their simmering sexual tension can go no further.
As they remove their clothes, Watson turns around to see Holmes brandishing a tub of Lemon Curd.
"Holmes!" Watson exclaims, "I know what we're about to do goes against God's nature, but what in the name of all that is Holy are you doing with that breakfast condiment?"
To which Holmes replied, "Lemon entry my dear Wats
Kelly
Dec 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all Sherlock Holmes or mystery fans
So, I volunteer at a library, in what the librarians call the "Popular Library," which consists of the area with the DVDs, music CDs and of course, the audiobooks. The majority of the titles in the audiobook section are romance novels. It struck me as a hilarious idea, and indeed, each of the audiobooks I've stuck in the CD player they have there to listen to for a few minutes has borne that out. Romance novel dialogue is barely okay on the page- can you imagine all that "Oh, FABIO, your gorgeou ...more
Piyangie
This short story collection on the adventures on Sherlock Holmes set the famous fictitious detective at his best and Mr. Doyle himself at his best as well, save except in the Hound of the Baskerville. All twelve short stories in this collection are well written and varied between 3 stars to 5 stars in my opinion on them.

A Scandal in Bohemia **** - I really liked it. It was one instance that famous detective was outwitted, and that too by a woman!

The Red-headed League *** - This was a clever mys
K.D. Absolutely
Jan 08, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: GR-TFG 100 Favorite Books (2011 edition)
A Scandal in Bohemia (3 stars) Wilhelm Gottsreich Sigismond von Ormstein, King of Bohemia is arranged to marry the daughter of the King of Scandinavia but he loves another girl. Irene Alder. Entertaining. Fast-paced. I love the disguises!

The Red-Headed League (3 stars) Mr. Jabez Wilson has an apprentice in his pawnshop whose name is Mr. Vincent Spaulding. One day, Spaulding recruits his boss to the association of people with red hair to copy encyclopedia, Very funny storyline. I love the twist!

A
Obsidian
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kyd-booklikes
This collection of short stories by Barnes and Noble was worth the price. I loved the sparkly cover (the lettering is in silver) and there are also illustrations included. The pages are nicely edged as well and it comes with it's own personal bookmark. That said, I enjoyed all of the stories, though two of them were five stars in my opinion.

"A Scandal in Bohemia" (3 stars)-This apparently was the first short story featuring Holmes, but the third story featuring Holmes. We find Watson happily mar
R.F. Gammon
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
BRILLIANT. I NEED ME SOME MORE SHERLOCK PLEASE.
Luca
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would. Reading this book was my first experience with Sherlock Holmes, but I discovered that there were so many elements to the stories that I was already familiar with (probably through other books, tv programs, films etc. that I’ve seen over the years and were inspired by Sherlock Holmes?). Anyway, it was fun!
I would rate this book with 4 out of 5 stars.
Chris_P
The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor: ***
The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet: ****
The Adventure of the Copper Beeches: ****

3.58

I have to make clear that the ratings only represent how I personally felt reading ea
Irene△⃒⃘➰
3.5/5 ~ The edition that I own is a collection of stories taken from both this book and another one! This book was a fun mysteries read, coolest part was definitely seeing Sherlock’s mind in action 👌🏻
Melora
Feb 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read quite a few Sherlock Holmes stories before, more than half of these, probably, at one time or another, but this collection of twelve, taken all at one go (really over three days, but you know what I mean), gives a different impression than the stories do when taken individually. The thing that most impressed me, and which I likely noticed because Zach Dundas pointed it out in The Great Detective: The Amazing Rise and Immortal Life of Sherlock Holmes, which I just read, is how nice Sher ...more
Jason Koivu
Feb 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Gotta love the old-school dash!

Arthur Conan Doyle created such an intriguing vehicle for his mystery stories in the figure of Sherlock Holmes, a man almost inhuman, nearly robotic in his exacting speech and actions, so much so that the reader longs for and grasps on to the minute human aspects (a hint of carnal desire, for example) on the fleeting instances they appear.

In story after tightly wound story intelligence and rational thought wins the day. But before it gets all too academic, Conan Do
N.N. Light
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great collection of Sherlock mysteries in a beautifully bound book. A must own!

My Rating: 5 stars
Baker Street Irre...: Favorite Canon Quote? 41 159 Apr 07, 2019 12:11PM
Goodreads Librari...: Request to add page count 3 19 Mar 31, 2019 05:49PM

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Lord of the Flies
  • Anna Karenina
  • Poirot's Early Cases: 18 Hercule Poirot Mysteries (Hercule Poirot, #41)
  • Murder Must Advertise  (Lord Peter Wimsey, #10)
  • The Handmaid's Tale
  • Saint Peter's Fair (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #4)
  • Brat Farrar
  • The Secret of Father Brown (Father Brown, #4)
  • Raffles: The Amateur Cracksman (A.J. Raffles, The Gentleman Thief #1)
  • The Purloined Letter
  • Watership Down (Watership Down, #1)
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • The Case of the Cryptic Crinoline (Enola Holmes, #5)
  • Arsène Lupin versus Herlock Sholmes (Arsène Lupin, #2)
  • A Study in Sherlock: Stories Inspired by the Holmes Canon
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is uncertain. His baptism re

Sherlock Holmes (9 books)
  • A Study in Scarlet (Sherlock Holmes, #1)
  • The Sign of Four (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
  • The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #4)
  • The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sherlock Holmes, #5)
  • The Return of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #6)
  • The Valley of Fear (Sherlock Holmes, #7)
  • His Last Bow (Sherlock Holmes, #8)
  • The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #9)
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.” 639 likes
“Women are naturally secretive, and they like to do their own secreting.” 490 likes