Start by marking “The Adventures of Charls, the Veretian Cloth Merchant (Captive Prince Short Stories, #3)” as Want to Read:

The Adventures of Charls, the Veretian Cloth Merchant (Captive Prince Short Stories #3)

4.5  ·  Rating details ·  2,737 Ratings  ·  479 Reviews
The Adventures of Charls follows the dealings of a humble cloth merchant in the days before the royal Ascension.

Set after the events of Kings Rising and The Summer Palace.
Published May 3rd 2017 by Gatto

Morgana Rumour has it that there will be at least another 1, & it's gonna be an "epilogue" of sort for Laurent & Damen's story💘🎉🎆😏👑👑👬

⚔ Silvia ⚓
No greater quality of comedy has ever been achieved

____

Hi I can't function :)

I’m all for seeing things from Damen’s (or Laurent’s) PoV, but there’s just something about seeing things from a different perspective. And Charls is an incredibly clueless and adorable narrator.

With the notion that this is by no means a review, here are some Things that everyone needs to know ( S P O I L E R S for the whole thing ahead):

• Charls is a man who loves his food let me tell you
The new capital at Delpha :)
amy
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
what i expected from this:
• smiles :) :) :)
• a little laurent and damen
• fun!!!!

what i did NOT expect from this:
• T E A R S
• A LOTTLE LAURENT AND DAMEN
HILARIOUS

This ""review"" is going to be me endlessly screaming about Lamen don't even expect anything remotely sensible to come out of this.

_______________________________

I don't ever laugh out loud while reading books. I just don't. It doesn't happen. Well....guess I found my kryptonite, because let me tell you, this short story had me whee
Claudia Ramírez
This was such a joy to read <3.
rin (lorenzo)
IF THIS ISN'T THE BEST THING THAT HAPPENED TO ME IN 2017 THEN WHAT IS

i read this story six? more? times but it's kind of cheating to mark it as reread several times isnt it
ANYWAY
our fandom is fucking blessed to have C.S. Pacat, Comedy Genius, as our mother, who keeps us well fed and owns our asses

these short stories are a blessing and i dread the moment the fourth story comes out, because it'll mean the captive prince universe oficially ending and this is the worst thing that could happen to me
Shin Mon Thway
Reread: 26th June 2018

As delicious as ever! 😍

Original review: Revised edition

I don't want CP to end .. EVER .. this is such a great addition to the CP trilogy and short stories. The event is set after summer palace and Laurent is about to ascend his throne in Marlas, the new capital of Akielos and Vere empire. 😌

description/

And our lovely heroes D&L are yet again lying to their courts and on a secret mission in southern Akielos. Charls the cloth merchant yet again met with his prince and they are trave
Lucía
May 13, 2017 added it
Sorprendentemente me gustó más que The Summer Palace. Fue super cute y me morí de la risa en varias partes. Charls, eres demasiado bueno para este mundo <3333.
Simona Bartolotta
“Why are you dressed up like the King?”

I think, very simply, that C. S. Pacat is a virtuoso.

The novella is way too amusing for its own good: I'll read it so many times I'll end up irreversibly damaging the file. Pacat employs a dry, polished humour that is all hers, and it's delightful and exemplary. And extraordinarily in this case, she played a card that, as far I know, is new to her readers, that is to say, a skilful change of perspective which, paired up with her precise yet breezy use of h
Hamad
Jul 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads, e-books
I LOVE Charls <3 and Lamen :')
This is really the final book in this series :((
I have officially read everything by Pacat now :D
☆ Todd
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it

Favorite line: "Why are you dressed up like the King?"

*SNORT* Okay, I kind of love this one.

Charls was so proper, a cultured merchant of Vere, and absolutely innocent as to whom he was keeping company, which was down right adorable, when you heard his thoughts, but knew the entire picture.

I'd rate this one 4 solid stars and highly recommend it.

-----------------------------------------------

** NOTE: For anyone interested, I found a truly incredible fan art site dedicated to the Captive Prince tri
Reread April 2018!! Still as funny as ever
______________
THIS IS A PSA TO INFORM EVERYONE THAT DAMEN HAS A DIMPLE IN HIS LEFT CHEEK

“We’ll make another kind of empire.”

(Some spoilers)

I’m dead, I’ve died, I’ve gone to heaven – the third short story in the collection of Captive Prince short stories was a tiny little masterpiece that I will remember forever.

This is less of a review, and more of a general freaking-out over the perfection of this story.

So when I found out that the third CP story w
Kate
Apr 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: i GUESS ANYONE WHO ENJOYS HYPERVENTILATING AT ALL TIMES
Recommended to Kate by: DEATH
I CAN'T BREATHE. ANY VOLUNTEERS TO DIG MY GRAVE FOR ME??

So, I honestly need a short story like this to be released at least every month. Because how will I live without it? It's always so sweet, so good, so refreshing. And it's so beautiful to see the snipets of Damen and Laurent being so wonderfully happy and at ease. I just... need!! this!! in!! my!! life!!

I'm reading and writing during a lecture, so I have to be brief, but when I get home, I will flood this review with so many feelings...

...w
Sabrina The Trash Queen
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
AMAZING LIKE ALL OF THE BOOKS OF THIS TRILOGY.
MY FAVORITE COUPLE OF ALL TIME. I’m in love with them. HOLY SHIT, I’m seriously dead.

This was so much fun!
I can’t believe that I went through an entire trilogy without the knowledge that Damien had a dimple, LIKE WHAT? That’s earth-shattering important knowledge!!!! That’s what reading from a different perspective does.
❤❤
I only read the short stories so I could have more of my OTfuckingP!!!!
Sorry, not sorry.
The Girl Murdered by Her TBR
That is it! I can’t explain how I am totally addicted with this series!!! I poved this one so much! Charls is totally the father figure Damen and Laurent totally deserve. My babies! So sweet with each other... gaaaaahhhh!!! Assdfhgfnhklfld!!!

Kill me now! Again and again and again! I don’t fucking care!!! ❤❤❤❤
Meags
5 Stars

I'm giving all the stars to this one because it just made me feel so damn good.

This shorty follows Charls, the Veretian Cloth Merchant, as he goes on another brief adventure with an undercover Prince Laurent (posing again as "cousin Charls") and his "personal assistant," Lamen (hahahaha).

Charls' loyalty is commendable and his cluelessness is beyond amusing, providing the story with a lot of laughs and even more heart.

I could happily read about this world forever.
Alexis  (TheSlothReader)
May 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Guys I adored every part of this because I will forever be in love with these characters. I ended up highlighting like half this short story because of all the humor in it, with Charls still thinking Damen was a merchant's assistant named Lamen (which I'll never get over the fact that Laurent basically just fused he and Damen's names together to form that). I really want to throw my better judgement to the wind and reread the CP trilogy even though I have like nine million other things to read.
J. Taylor
My boys are back in their disguise and they're meeting up with Charl's again! The last time that happened, it was hilarious. And now it's happening again. And they're taking a stroll down memory lane, with laughs, and hotness, and kisses, and starting fights, and disguises, Charls as clueless as ever in the most endearing way, and love, and Laurent taunting, plotting and always one step ahead. Also featuring two of the most iconic moments of Damen and Laurents story.

Guaranteed heart stopping swo
Ellen Gail
"I'd work my whole life to be worthy of him."

I don't typically get very mushy about fictional couples. But these two?

Emily
May 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
DAMEN HAS A DIMPLE

description

In other news, I was dead but now I am reborn.
R * A Reader Obsessed *
4 Stars

A roundabout way showcasing perfectly the smarts and cunning of Laurent and Damen as they work together to further solidify their newfound alliance.

Throw in some great fun factor as humble merchant Charls aids them unknowingly, never faltering in his devotion to his Prince.

This totally brought a smile to my face!
nicklein
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I need more of this in my life!
julia ☆ [owls reads]
THE SINGLE BEST THING I HAVE EVER READ IN MY ENTIRE!!!! LIFE!!!!!!
Gelisvb
May 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Unpopular opinion time.
This was meh for the price.
It's very short and it does not add anything to the story.
It felt a little like a fanfiction.
At this point I wish for the author to either move on from this world or to write a fourth book, since there is still much to say about the new empire that Damen and Laurent want to create.
These novellas seems cheap but they are not, they are 20 something pages and they are not worth the price.
And eventually they will be collected in a book and after
Adriana
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I AM CHARLS. YOU ARE CHARLS. HE, SHE, WE, THEY CHARLS. EVERYONE IS CHARLS AND NOTHING HURTS.
Theodora
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
‘We’ll make another kind of empire,’ said the Prince.

Four weeks before Laurent's ascension to the throne, he and Damen join Charls, the Veretian cloth merchant on his trip to Aegina. Posing as Young Charls and Lamen, they clear Charls' name, get into a fight with a few Akielons and save several slaves from being sold despite the King's edict clearly stating it is against the law.

‘I am forty this year. It’s not so old, but it’s old enough to have seen my way around this world. I’ve seen the way y
Marianne (Instagram - longmayweread) W
Aaaaaand.. I'm DEAD. Even if it's a short story it still has a clever little plot nonetheless, and Charls is so naive and good hearted and funny, he was the perfect narrator for this novella. (view spoiler)
It was just so damn good, I loved it!
Silke
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I miss everything about this series! 😭

I LOVED THIS! These little short stories are exactly what I need to ease the pain. I’ve missed this series so freaking much! Laurent and Damen still have a very special place in my heart. Captive Prince is without doubt one of my all time favorite series. I’ve got one more short story left. And who knows.. I might do a reread after that? 😅
Jewel
Ok, that was amusing.
Ro
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, english, fantasy, lgbt
To be honest, I was pretty pissed off when the author announced this novella. I just wanted more of Damen and Laurent, I was not interested in Charls - such a minor character- at all. I remember thinking that it was just Pacats way of making more money from Captive Prince, and I was actually afraid that she would keep exploiting the story.
BUT when I read this novella all that anger vanished.

I thought that this story was going to be only about Charls, and some dumb adventure that he has, or maybe
Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder
Damen and Laurent From Another POV

I can't get enough of Captive Prince and it's two main characters Damen and Laurent!

It's enjoyable to read about them in any context!
Elena
Oh no! I'm so, so sorry this incredible journey with Laurent and Damen and all of their friends, acquaintances, soldiers and subjects finally ended... :(

I will miss all of them so much!!!

This short extra was super cute and funny in comparison to the rest and I like Charls the Merchant even more now ;)
Captivated : The Adventures of Charls 139 211 May 22, 2017 07:31AM
C.S. Pacat is a Melbourne writer. Her first series the Captive Prince trilogy began its life as an original web serial. Self-published in 2013 to critical and commercial success and acclaim, the Captive Prince trilogy was acquired by Penguin, and will be published worldwide in 2015.
More about C.S. Pacat

Captive Prince Short Stories (4 books)
  • Green but for a Season (Captive Prince Short Stories, #1)
  • The Summer Palace (Captive Prince Short Stories, #2)
  • Pet (Captive Prince Short Stories, #4)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Fool's Assassin (The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Acacia: The War with the Mein (Acacia, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
“It’s lucky King Damianos is at Delpha,’ said Charls, uncertainly. ‘There’s no need to worry that the Prince is away so close to the Ascension.’ ‘Yes, this would be a terrible idea otherwise,’ said Lamen.” 8 likes
“With a clear moment of insight, Charls saw that Lamen was not a cloth merchant’s assistant. He was the prince’s private companion, and had no real skills whatsoever.” 7 likes