Start by marking “The Darkest Days (Death & Decay #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Darkest Days (Death & Decay #0.5)

The Darkest Days

(Death & Decay #0.5)

This is an alternate cover edition for ASIN B01L5MTHMI.

**SHORT STORY TO BE READ ALONG SIDE THE DEATH & DECAY SERIES NOVELS**

To protect and serve.

The motto that every officer is taught from their first day in the academy. On a humid June day in St. Louis, it is a motto that could get Officer Wyatt Ward killed.

Desperate citizens flock to the station as the officers of the Co
Published April 2017 by Amazon Digital Services

To ask other readers questions about The Darkest Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Darkest Days

Start your review of The Darkest Days (Death & Decay #0.5)
Anniek
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fight or Die? I'm going to fight. What's your choice?

Wyatt is halfway through his twelve-hour shift. He often phones his wife, just to let her know that he's safe and to say that he loves her. Work has been chaotic all morning. There are more incoming calls than usual. Wyatt is on his way to check up on a call when the dispatcher urges all officers to return to the station. While it's against his nature Wyatt drops his investigations and jumps into his car. Wyatt never expected to be fighting fo
Netanella
Officer Wyatt Ward wearily trudged away from the busy fast-food restaurant back to his patrol car. Even slouched as he was, Wyatt was a tall man with a lean but toned build. The day had been brutally busy and his twelve-hour shift was only halfway over. The lunch break had eased away some of the stress but not all of it. In Cottleville, a miniscule suburb of the greater St. Louis area, the days were usually filled with minor traffic violations.

But not today.

3 1/2 stars for a solid, zombie-actio
Shannie
Sep 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-obsession
Kick ass way to start a new series! Can't wait to read the next book!! Lots of zombie action!
Nancy (The Avid Reader)
Officer Wyatt Ward’s day is not going too well. Ever since he came to work this morning there have been a lot of weird calls. Now he gets a call that there is a dead body on the street. Right before he makes it to the street where the dead body was reported a call goes out that one of their officers was in trouble. Wyatt wants to go help his fellow officer but he has a call of his own that he must attend to first. But when he gets there the body is gone and while he is looking around to see what ...more
Rotna Penheiro
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fast paced

This book was awesome. It was so intense and just nonstop action. I'm really looking forward to reading more. I already bought the next book .
Patti Griner
Sep 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A friend had this, so I read it. There is plenty of action! Wasn't sure what to expect, not totally into zombies right now, but it was not bad! It is original and gritty, and a good lead in to the series.
Raquel
***3.5 stars***
This is a great start to a series. There is tons of action contained in this short little story.

What I liked:
-Wyatt.
-The main character here is a cop. I love zombie stories. I love cop stories. Combine the two, and it's a winner for me!
-It's a great lead into another storyline. It makes you want to know what happens next.
-The end. The end, the end, the end.

What I didn't like:
-With so much action and Gore, I kind of missed the connection to the characters. But the end makes up
cathy m freeze
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the characters, here

So many zombie books focus on how horrible humans become when the world ends, but I believe that most folks would act like R. L. Block's people in this story--people who mean well, who do what they can for each other, who care about strangers. I liked the protagonist, here. I hurt at his pain and hoped for him and rejoiced when he had a reason to go on. I'm looking forward to reading more of his journey and of the woman's, too, who called to him by radio. I care for them
P.S. Winn
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yes, this is anther zombie book, but it does have what seems like it is going to be a good story line to go with it.I also enjoyed the author's writing. Readers follow sheriff Wyatt Ward as his day unfolds. Strange things are happening and just keep getting worse. Because this is a short read and an introduction to what I think might be an interesting novel, readers don't get much background. It is more a sneak eek into the author and the story and reveals a great story is coming.
LisaMarie
Without knowing yet what is in store in the Death and Decay series, I hope this short little story is a good indication if what is to come.
The story starts off with a bang and the action continues throughout. I was drawn in to hoping there wold be more survivors and feeling a bit sorry for those we only met briefly but didn't make it.
Now we must follow Wyatt and see where his journey takes him.
Tammy
Got free from Instafreebie.

I love the walking dead show. So my curiosity got me to open the epub and started reading until the end. I thought it was very well written. Loved the character Wyatt and cried for all he lost. So you pulled my emotions out for all the characters in the book. I felt the book had a good steady pace. Can't wait to read the next one.

Thank you, for letting me read your book.
Hope Weigle
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Phenomenal read! Each time you think you know what comes next, you're probably wrong because the plot twists and turns in ways you think are impossible! Absolutely loved it and can't wait to read the next book!
Dave
Aug 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Looking forward to reading Book 1 of this series!
Erin Stetler
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book! Had my interest right from the start! Finished it in less than a day! Would definitely recommend!
Tina
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I recommend reading the series! Thanks for the giveaway! Can't wait to read the rest.
Mary
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a ride

Prologue to the main story. First few hours of the out break and the stories of some of the future characters.
Christopher Salvatore
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The cops always die; or so it seems. In most zombie fiction, and trust me I have read a lot, it seems, more often than not that cops die ignominious deaths. Either they empty their service weapons at a zombie, center mass, to no avail and then wind up getting eaten. Or, they refuse to believe what their eyes are showing them and they wind up getting eaten.
Finally, here is a zombie story with a police officer as a protagonist in the character of Wyatt Ward. Even if it is a prequel, or a side-equ
Karen Lloyd
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good start to the series

I thought that this was a good start to the series. You can really feel the panic strike as people realise what is happening, although with all the zombie films & books around you'd think at least one person would say let's lock up the ones that were bitten! Seriously I can just imagine that this story would happen. People realising too late about the infected, people freezing with fear or people trying to help. After all that's human nature. I also believe that deep down
Olivia Rofrits
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't want it to end!! Very fast read but still packed full of action how short it is. Didn't it have that feel everything being rushed like most short reads do making hot mess and all over the place. You pulled it off big time with this.
We get to follow Wyatt's story when all hell breakdown around town even maybe the world!. I felt so bad for him when he finally makes it home. Can't say you have to read it to find out.... I cant wait to see more of Wyatt and the many other characters that be
Stan Faryna
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A powerful, urgent and gripping introduction to an American zombie apocalypse. Police Officer Wyatt Ward is a good man in a terrible and terrifying situation in this well-written ZombieLIT short story that kicks off R. L. Blalock's Death and Decay Series. I'm looking forward to reading the official first book of the series, Devour.

If you love Dawn of the Dead, The Walking Dead, or Valerie Lioudis's Aftershock, you'll love The Darkest Days. Did I mention that the Kindle Edition is free on Amazon?
Ann O'Nymos
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
A short story following Officer Wyatt Ward who we get to know in book #1. I would suggest to read this book after book #1 as it is a nice addition but to get into the series it's better to start at no. 1 mainly because there is more time for development.
Although this being short, it is an intense story but the end leaves you hanging and it won't even help to read book 1. I will yet have to read book #2 to see if Officer Ward will reappear.
Steph ✨
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I stumbled upon this book by accident whilst looking for something specific as part of a readathon. And boy am I glad!

The perfect start to what I think will be a fantastic series. Zombie Apocalypse books have never really been my thing until recently but they're now some of my favourite reads and I really enjoyed this one. Really looking forward to getting stuck into the second book in the series.
Mrs Clarereadstoomuch
Great

This is a great start to a series. I’m looking forward to reading more.

Characters haven’t really clicked yet but the book is short. Hopefully they’ll develop in the next book.

My only criticism is the fact people are bit by maniacs eating people and nobody thought to lock them up?? I was thinking nooo - I know exactly what will happen now. I suspect I’ve read too many zombie books lol
Renee Rearden
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I don't usually read Zombie books (although I love The Walking Dead television series), but The Darkest Days' description and cover captured my attention. I'm glad I bought the book. A solid introduction to R.L. Blalock's world followed, and I'm excited to read Devour, the next book in the series.
Mike Lewis
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great companion story to the series
Miranda Nading
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

I read the series a bit out of order, reading this one last, but it was well worth it. Hope there is more coming.
Sandy Grafius
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
On an apocalyptic kick right now. Blalock has certainly whet my appetite for more of his work
Richard Goodrum
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well written. Officer Wyatt Ward shows great heroism, resilience, and even a bit of hope.
Bob Neumann
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Blalock shows us the beginning of the Zombie Manistation from the view of a first responder. It hit me right between the eyes. Brilliantly crafted, horrifically graphic, unable to stop reading.
BarbaraH
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Be Strong

The town is in a state of chaos, the police are being flooded with wild calls when all are called back to the statehouse immediately. All he'll has broken loose!
Apocalypse Whenever: R4R for New Zombie Outbreak Novella 1 9 Nov 05, 2016 07:19AM

• Death's Children: The Complete Collection
  • Apocalypse Z: Book 1 (Rise of the Undead)
  • Dead Haven (Jack Zombie #1)
  • Before Safe Haven: Mike
  • Apocalypse Z: Book 4 (Rise of the Undead)
  • Safe Haven - Vengeance: Book 5 of the Post-Apocalyptic Zombie Horror series
  • Before Safe Haven: Alex (Safe Haven #0.2)
  • Supernatural Academy: Year Three (Supernatural Academy, #3)
  • My Dead World 3
  • My Dead World 2
  • Shutter House
  • Days of Panic (EMP Survival, #1)
  • Before Safe Haven: Jules
  • Prepared (Sundown #1)
  • Rise of the Undead (End Times, #1)
  • The End of Everything (The End of Everything #1)
  • Dead Hope (Jack Zombie #2)
  • Safe Haven - Is This the End of Everything?: Book 6 of the Post-Apocalyptic Zombie Horror series

Death & Decay (3 books)
  • Devour (Death & Decay #1)
  • Divided (Death & Decay #2)
  • Distortion (Death & Decay #3)

News & Interviews